Beer Garden

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.
rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

Re: Beer Garden

#2716 Post by rev » Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:26 pm

serca wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:45 pm
Yeah yeah ok of wise one Shuz, cos its only gay people being discriminated and insulted . No one judges people living out at Elizabeth or other low social economic areas ? I have an Asian wife and we have been insulted as a couple and she has been insulted as an asian quiet a few times in recent years. Should we have a parade for multi racial couples or should the Elizabethians hold parades of equality. People throw insults at them regulary for what reason exactly being dealt an unfortunate hand in life.
Don't be silly Serca. The yes campaign fighting for equality and rights only extends to them selves.
I'm sure if you go looking through all of Shuz's online activity you'll find plenty of insults directed at the folk in the northern suburbs. But shhh, that's not the flavor of the time so it's irrelevant. Only gay equality matters at the moment. Only they get discriminated against. Just ask them if they think you, as a straight white male, are discriminated against. They'll probably laugh at you and ridicule you.
What I am saying you Nort :S is that throwing these gay prides and bar and mardi gras in your face actually creates a further divide IMO. Which I'm entitled to . I never said it annoyed me that they hold these events ???? did I?
You're supposed to accept it. Your opinions don't matter in this neo communist agenda sweeping the western world.
Apparently its all about equality and rights, but only if you agree with them.
I feel the same about indigenous round in the football . Why have it yeah sure it is good to celebrate indigenous culture and AFL but shouldn't every round be indigenous or multicultural or womans round . Why do they only get one round and the rest is what ? assumed to be straight white aussie mans round. Cant you see this point ? I think Gays being able to marry will have the same social impact as the government saying Sorry to the indigenous - NOTHING!! I personally think there are better ways to educate the fools who have an issue with someone being gay or aboriginal and better governance around these issues....
The AFL realized they can milk more money if they have these special themed rounds, that's the only reason we have them.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#2717 Post by SRW » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:07 am

Have you ever heard the phrase 'check your privilege'?

That doesn't mean you haven't also suffered disadvantage in your life.

It only implores you to consider the advantages you have had over others when placed in their situation.

I won't rehash the points others have made about how sexually diverse expression in a heteronormative culture is suppressed.

But I will highlight that the concern you have for those of different economic status rings hollow when your empathy does't also extend to those with other, different experiences to you.
Last edited by SRW on Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Keep Adelaide Weird

rev

#2718 Post by rev » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:03 am

SRW wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:07 am

It only implores you to consider the advantages you have had over others when placed in their situation.

I won't rehash the points others have made about how sexually diverse expression in a heteronormative culture is suppressed.

But I will highlight that the concern you have for those of different exam status rings hollow when your empathy does't also extend to those with other, different experiences to you.
My privilege? What privilege would that be?

"we demand we be treated as equals, as normal like everyone else" ....but we will also keep everything that we like even if it segregates us and makes us hypocrites

^ That's pretty much the sum total of the gay/yes argument. :roll:

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#2719 Post by monotonehell » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:51 pm

rev wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:03 am
SRW wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:07 am

But I will highlight that the concern you have for those of different exam status rings hollow when your empathy does't also extend to those with other, different experiences to you.
My privilege? What privilege would that be?

"we demand we be treated as equals, as normal like everyone else" ....but we will also keep everything that we like even if it segregates us and makes us hypocrites

^ That's pretty much the sum total of the gay/yes argument. :roll:
Rev, this is not hypocritical.

I hate to use an argument through analogy, because they don't follow through logically, but this is like telling people that they must not celebrate their cultural heritage.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

rev

#2720 Post by rev » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:51 pm

Anyway none of us are ever going to agree, so lets move on to something else.

An old topic, the airport and height limits and what gets built or doesn't..
Are authorities in Australia too strict and being beyond cautious on the matter?
Years ago I remember finding some examples of other cities where the airport and flight path were close to the CBD, where those cities had taller buildings.
Here's another example. London and the London City Airport. Canary Wharf, one of Londons two main financial hubs, has seven buildings 150m or taller, the distance between the airport and CBD is similar to that of Adelaide/Adelaide airport, and the flight path is even closer to the CBD then ours, with the direct flight path almost directly over the CBD, whereas ours is over North Adelaide.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#2721 Post by crawf » Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:46 am

It's a..........

AUSTRALIA has voted yes to same-sex marriage.

An overwhelming 61.6 per cent of eligible Aussies - or more than seven million people - have voted Yes in the postal survey.

The Australian Government will now make every effort to make gay marriage legal before Christmas.

More than 12.7 million people - 79.5 per cent of eligible voters - had their say in the voluntary postal survey.

More than four million or 38.4 per cent of Australians voted No.

Every state and territory voted in favour of the change.

Of the 150 electorates, 133 voted yes, and only 17 electorates voted no.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/lifestyle ... 13048b2b83

State and territory figures. Surprised with NSW results, SA is in the middle of the pack (as expected)

timtam20292
Legendary Member!

#2722 Post by timtam20292 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:09 am

Very, very happy!!!

Nathan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#2723 Post by Nathan » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:27 am

Let the enforced gay marriages begin! :cheers:

Seriously though, very happy to see that every electorate in SA returned a Yes.

Goodsy
Legendary Member!

#2724 Post by Goodsy » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:33 am

Tony Abbots electorate returned a 75% yes :lol: :lol:

timtam20292
Legendary Member!

#2725 Post by timtam20292 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:37 am

GoodSmackUp wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:33 am
:lol:

Llessur2002

#2726 Post by Llessur2002 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:44 am

A travesty.

I read on the internet that in countries that have already legalised SSM, subsequent radical gender engineering has meant straight people have been forced to marry inanimate objects such as wardrobes and small offcuts of wood. When this happens here the silent 38% majority will have the last laugh.

Nort

#2727 Post by Nort » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:52 pm

A good day.

Llessur2002

#2728 Post by Llessur2002 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:07 pm

GoodSmackUp wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:33 am
Surely this puts him in a pretty awkward situation - as an MP how could he possibly justify voting against the wishes of 75% of his electorate? If it was closer to 50:50 I guess he'd have an argument but I'd be very interested to see what he does now. Abstain maybe? Would he vote yes?

claybro

#2729 Post by claybro » Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:27 pm

The beauty of this outcome, is that it is a statistically official vote. Not just an opinion poll by a media company. Despite many being against the postal vote, I believe it finally puts the majority case forward, gives the yes case a massive endorsement and gives those that love to hate even less credibility. A simple vote of parliament would not have done this. Hardly surprising though to see Bill Shorten and co out crowing about the result, when they did everything possible to prevent it. Paradoxically, it is the LNP that has now forced this forward, and not the ALP which has been playing politics with this through 2 terms of government and opposition.

rev

#2730 Post by rev » Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:35 pm

Sad, sad day for Australian history.
A country divided.
Only selfish, hypocritical morons and twats would celebrate a divisive result.