Whispering wall

Ideas and concepts of what Adelaide can be.
Dog
High Rise Poster!

Whispering wall

#1 Post by Dog » Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:32 pm

We visited the whispering wall a while back and noticed the steady flow of visitors. Unfortunately there are virtually no amenities and an old building which could make a good cafe sits derelict.
It appears to me that a make over would regenerate an old favourite for day trippers to a must stop for grey nomads.
Looking at the tourism generated by silo art around Australia, I would see the huge concrete dam wall as a potential canvas, perhaps depicting the history of the Barossa gold fields or wine industry.
I wrote to the Barossa council and there was good interest but apparently the site is State government property.
Anyway I think there is potential to reinvent this old favourite. ImageImageImage
Last edited by Dog on Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

Re: Whispering wall

#2 Post by rev » Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:11 pm

If they cleaned that wall up, fresh coat of paint maybe?, they could project images and what not on it at night.
That would be a better attraction then another mural imo.

rubberman
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#3 Post by rubberman » Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:38 pm

There was originally a miniature copy of the dam in concrete constructed off to the side, and downstream a little way. It was apparently done at the time of the dam construction for some reason. Possibly to show visitors and dignitaries what it was going to look like when completed.

I last saw it in the mid 1980s, hidden in bushland. I wonder if it is still there?

Girawuth
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#4 Post by Girawuth » Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:31 pm

It's incredible art.

ghs (but alot worse)
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#5 Post by ghs (but alot worse) » Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:04 pm

Horrible idea. The “art” isnt much better. If they cant find any use for them, knock them down.

SBD
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#6 Post by SBD » Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:18 pm

ghs (but alot worse) wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:04 pm
Horrible idea. The “art” isnt much better. If they cant find any use for them, knock them down.
Do extra silo sites get opened in bumper seasons, or do they always just add bunkers to the same few larger sites?