News & Discussion: Adelaide Metro Trains

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
Waewick
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: U/C: Electrification & Upgrade of the Adelaide Rail Network

#3256 Post by Waewick » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:24 am

PeFe wrote:It would still help if the local cops devoted some of their patrol time to the train station.

People will feel safer (and more likely to use public transport) if they see cops actively taking an interest in people coming and going out of the train station.
Perhaps we need to match fair evading fines with other low grade things like speeding under 10kms or looking at your phone at the trafgic lights.

The state government would then have more incentive to look at it.

I Follow PAFC
High Rise Poster!

#3257 Post by I Follow PAFC » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:48 am

Temporary Gawler line closure Adelaide to Mawson Interchange from 18 November 2017.
When: From Saturday 18 November 2017 to Monday 4 December 2017
http://www.adelaidemetro.com.au/Announc ... ember-2017

:wallbash: :wallbash: UPDATE 14 NOVEMBER: Outer Harbor and Grange rail line closures until January 2018
http://www.adelaidemetro.com.au/Announc ... nuary-2018
I Follow The Port Adelaide Football Club
https://www.facebook.com/IFollowThePAFC/

Llessur2002

#3258 Post by Llessur2002 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:15 pm

I Follow PAFC wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:48 am
UPDATE 14 NOVEMBER: Outer Harbor and Grange rail line closures until January 2018
That's a bit disappointing but I can't say I didn't expect this to be the case. They've made tremendous progress at Torrens Junction but there was no way they were going to get the remainder of the work done in the next few weeks...

I Follow PAFC
High Rise Poster!

#3259 Post by I Follow PAFC » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:38 pm

Llessur2002 wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:15 pm
I Follow PAFC wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:48 am
UPDATE 14 NOVEMBER: Outer Harbor and Grange rail line closures until January 2018
That's a bit disappointing but I can't say I didn't expect this to be the case. They've made tremendous progress at Torrens Junction but there was no way they were going to get the remainder of the work done in the next few weeks...
progress at Torrens Junction Video.
https://twitter.com/MatthewPantelis/sta ... 0628880384

I Follow PAFC
High Rise Poster!

#3260 Post by I Follow PAFC » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:14 pm

trains will be free when they go back for a bit too.

Goodsy
Legendary Member!

#3261 Post by Goodsy » Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:46 pm

what would everyone's thoughts be on elevating the entire Gawler line at once. like Melbourne's sky rail project, except 42km long. I have a feeling that the delay in electrifying the line comes with the fact that there's so much else the line needs... Might as well start with a clean slate

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#3262 Post by Norman » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:23 pm

GoodSmackUp wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:46 pm
what would everyone's thoughts be on elevating the entire Gawler line at once. like Melbourne's sky rail project, except 42km long. I have a feeling that the delay in electrifying the line comes with the fact that there's so much else the line needs... Might as well start with a clean slate
That would be very, very expensive. Melbourne's SkyRail only covers 5 stations on the Dandenong Line, not the whole line.

The benefit of raising the whole line would be a tiny, tiny fraction of the cost.

ChillyPhilly

#3263 Post by ChillyPhilly » Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:52 pm

Two photos of the new station gates at Salisbury station. This is one of two sets (both on this same citybound platform). This was taken on Saturday late afternoon. The only time I've seen these gates closed is when there are staff manually checking Metrocards. But that hasn't happened for a while, from what I've seen.

Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

metro
Legendary Member!

#3264 Post by metro » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:47 pm

It's pretty silly how the gates are only used when there are staff at the station to manually check tickets after people have gone through, they do that in the city regularly and it's really quite unusual, they have something like 40 Adelaide Metro people holding ticket readers and 2 security/SAPOL next to them to check every persons ticket, then everyone they check goes through the gates anyway :lol:

I'm thinking it might have been a better, and easier to instead roll out platform ticket readers at station entrances like at un-gated stations in other cities. Instead of having useless ticket gates at stations they should phase out the ticket vending machines and card readers inside the trains and instead do it at stations like every other rail system.

Eurostar
Legendary Member!

#3265 Post by Eurostar » Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:58 am

Screenshot_2017-12-05-07-51-05.png
Screenshot_2017-12-05-07-51-05.png (115.85 KiB) Viewed 4070 times
This morning due to a police incident at Salisbury, full Gawler Line will not be running.

I Follow PAFC
High Rise Poster!

#3266 Post by I Follow PAFC » Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:22 am

#UPDATE: #Gawler line trains are now resuming. Customers will experience some residual delays as services return to normal @SAPoliceNews

PeFe

#3267 Post by PeFe » Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:13 am

Electronic ticket gates have opened at the Noarlunga Centre train station.
From The Advertiser
Ticket gates have arrived at Noarlunga Centre railway station — a year later than expected

ELECTRONIC ticket gates have started operating at the station following 12 months of delays caused by design issues and almost four years after money for them was promised.

New ticket gates at the Noarlunga Centre railway station. Source: DPTISource:Supplied

NEW ticket gates have finally opened at Noarlunga Centre railway station — a year after their expected arrival time.
The electronic gates — which are part of a $2.1 million bid to upgrade security at Noarlunga and Salisbury stations — opened on Wednesday following 12 months of delays caused by design issues.
As happens at Adelaide railway station, commuters are supposed to validate their ticket or Metrocard to enter the station.
Transport minister Stephen Mullighan said the government took a “zero tolerance” stance on fare evaders.
“Fare evasion costs our public transport network millions of dollars every year — money which could be reinvested in providing better public transport services for everyone,” Mr Mullighan said.
“The Salisbury and Noarlunga railway stations are two of the busiest on the Adelaide Metro network, which is why we’ve focused these security upgrades on these stations.”

Full article : http://www.news.com.au/national/south-a ... dec141e2b1

Patrick_27

#3268 Post by Patrick_27 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:56 pm

PeFe wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:13 am
From The Advertiser
Ticket gates have arrived at Noarlunga Centre railway station — a year later than expected

ELECTRONIC ticket gates have started operating at the station following 12 months of delays caused by design issues and almost four years after money for them was promised.

New ticket gates at the Noarlunga Centre railway station. Source: DPTISource:Supplied

NEW ticket gates have finally opened at Noarlunga Centre railway station — a year after their expected arrival time.
The electronic gates — which are part of a $2.1 million bid to upgrade security at Noarlunga and Salisbury stations — opened on Wednesday following 12 months of delays caused by design issues.
As happens at Adelaide railway station, commuters are supposed to validate their ticket or Metrocard to enter the station.
Transport minister Stephen Mullighan said the government took a “zero tolerance” stance on fare evaders.
“Fare evasion costs our public transport network millions of dollars every year — money which could be reinvested in providing better public transport services for everyone,” Mr Mullighan said.
“The Salisbury and Noarlunga railway stations are two of the busiest on the Adelaide Metro network, which is why we’ve focused these security upgrades on these stations.”

I feel we should be adopting a system similar to that used in Melbourne and Sydney, ticket tap-on at the entrance of every station so that inspectors can book people at the station if they don't have a valid ticket. The only thing is that this would require the removal of the single-trip paper tickets which if metro cards become free this should be much of an issue for tourists and the like.

Nort

#3269 Post by Nort » Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:10 pm

Patrick_27 wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:56 pm
PeFe wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:13 am
From The Advertiser

I feel we should be adopting a system similar to that used in Melbourne and Sydney, ticket tap-on at the entrance of every station so that inspectors can book people at the station if they don't have a valid ticket. The only thing is that this would require the removal of the single-trip paper tickets which if metro cards become free this should be much of an issue for tourists and the like.
Would also require all stations to have the ability to buy tickets or make the network a lot harder to use for casual users.

PeFe

#3270 Post by PeFe » Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:21 pm

Nort wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:10 pm

Would also require all stations to have the ability to buy tickets or make the network a lot harder to use for casual users.
Agree. Providing TVM's at every station is way too expensive for a city like Adelaide.
However I do have some suggestions to cut down on fare evasion - the obvious one , more compliance checks on heavily patronized routes ie the Glenelg tram, Gawler line train on pension days and certainly on the O-Bahn when all door boarding commences.

Also abolish single use tickets for seniors and concession card holders, card only.
Then bus drivers would not have to ask for proof of concession.....this is done by the issuing authority ie if you are on the dole the you can access the concession card for 3 months and if you are still unemployed then the concession is extended.
This is how NSW works it, no concession fares available at the TVM (but of course you are able to add money to your Opal concession card)
Adelaide would need to add more TVM's that accept cash at major train/O-Bahn stations etc to make the system more accessible.