Riverside Precinct

Ideas and concepts of what Adelaide can be.
Benm16
Gold-Member ;)

Riverside Precinct

#1 Post by Benm16 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 5:50 pm

Proposing restaurants, main made beach and pools with ferris wheel overlooking the Adelaide's skyline.
Site will also include a Bali inspired garden which will contain the same amount of trees as what was removed for the development. All major trees have been kept with the development being build around them.
Along the southern side of the river contains several restaurants which will contain roof gardens which will help minimise their appeared when approaching the site from the convention centre or train station.
These unique and wonderful development will promote the riverside precinct and help bring people and tourist to Adelaide.
Attachments
river.JPG
river.JPG (95.61 KiB) Viewed 16522 times

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: Riverside Precinct

#2 Post by Will » Fri Apr 10, 2015 10:06 am

Whilst there are some good ideas in your proposal, such as the ferris wheel and restaurants, I don't particularly understand the need for a Bali inspired garden and artificial beach. Adelaide has kilometres of beaches. Places like Darwin and Brisbane have artificial beaches, because they lack the beaches we have.

Benm16
Gold-Member ;)

#3 Post by Benm16 » Wed Jun 10, 2015 3:17 pm

Maybe instead of a bali inspired garden there could be a sculpture garden with sculptures from local artists located around paving and new greenery. I think the beach would be a way of bringing people to this space. If tourist are staying in adelaide it would be easier to travel 5 mins to this beach rather than 40mins by tram to glenelg. Just imagine swimming in the pool with the city skyline as your backdrop :D I mean South Bank in brisbane is a great example of how beautiful this could be. We could even add water fountains in the water for kids to play in. This could also be an alternative to all the residences whom live in the eastern suburbs where the closest beach is an hour away.
Attachments
south bank.jpg
south bank.jpg (40.59 KiB) Viewed 16196 times

Benm16
Gold-Member ;)

#4 Post by Benm16 » Wed Oct 07, 2015 5:31 pm

just a very quick render of what a ferris wheel could look like on the riverbank
Attachments
adelaide wheel.jpg
adelaide wheel.jpg (244.24 KiB) Viewed 15821 times

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#5 Post by crawf » Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:43 pm

I'd be supportive for a temporary observation wheel along the riverbank, something similar to the set up in Brissy.

I think there was once plans for one in Victoria Square years ago?...

Nathan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#6 Post by Nathan » Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:56 pm

Would a wheel really be that popular? The one at Glenelg is useless, and even Melbourne has had constant issues (both with safety and viability) with the Melbourne Star.

Benm16
Gold-Member ;)

#7 Post by Benm16 » Sun Oct 11, 2015 6:00 pm

Nathan wrote:Would a wheel really be that popular? The one at Glenelg is useless, and even Melbourne has had constant issues (both with safety and viability) with the Melbourne Star.
I think it would be because the glenelg one is useless because of its location and its height. it has a view of nothing and is just surrounded by apartment buildings.It also has no foot traffic apart from the beach house which is always dead anyway. This location is very popular espeically on game days and the views from this location of the city are amazing. From higher up the views would be ever better as you would be able to see the complete city and even the foothills, the river, ADL oval and since this whole area of the river is getting upgraded i feel like its a very good location and will become very popular.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#8 Post by rev » Sun Jul 31, 2016 11:05 am

There should be a sporting precinct here. Commonwealth games bid or not.
-Adelaide Oval would be the centerpiece stadium, with the northern side getting a stand as big as the riverbank stand. Would be used only for AFL & Cricket, and the odd concert that needs that much room.

-The tennis center/gym/outdoor courts would make way for an indoor multipurpose stadium 12,000-20,000 capacity. Would be used for tennis basketball netball, and other minor indoor court sports, as well as function as a concert venue. Could even hold things like the UFC there(they've been to Adelaide before, have been to Melbourne, Sydney twice and Brisy and are coming back later this year again to either Melbourne or Sydney - there is a market)
The outdoor courts would be able to have temporary stands erected on the long sides.

-War memorial drive past the tennis & from road would be closed to public traffic, with a small service road/pedestrian friendly zone leading up to the underground entrance for Adelaide oval on the southern side. The tennis center would be built on an elevated platform with war memorial/shared road being slightly lowered past that point.

-An indoor aquatic center on an elevated platform over King William to the north east of the oval.

-Adjacent to that on the university playing fields(they can find anywhere else to play their weekend sports, the southern parklands could be fixed up for such uses), a purpose built rectangular stadium for soccer and rugby, 35,000 capacity. Behind that a new velodrome could be built. A pedestrian bridge, or an upgraded one linking to the universities side of the river and the zoo, splitting off in two.
Sir Edwin Smith Ave between Pennington tce and King William rd would be closed.
Pennington tce on the eastern side would be blocked off from King William.

-All old stadia around suburban Adelaide that would no longer be needed should be turned into affordable housing developments by the government, or turned into large open parks and public spaces.

-The old RAH should largely be demolished. If there was to be a commonwealth games bid it should be the site of an athletes village.
A proper athletes village not temporary. The buildings could then be turned into hotels and sold off as residential apartments or a mix of both.
If no games bid then turn it into residential apartments etc.

-Montefiore Rd bridge would be upgraded to actually look like a decent entryway to the CBD.

-This would all tie in with my idea of widening the Torrens in the city and up to Port Road/Bonython park, and extending it through the eastern and southern parklands.

-A new WCH would be built adjacent the nRAH, the old WCH would be turned into parklands.

-The west terrace cemetery would undergo a 'greenification' program. Plant as many trees as possible. Simply because it looks horrible, especially from the air.

-Adelaide Railway station would be expanded, and interstate rail would use it. Obviously finish electrifying the metro lines.

-A proper tram network would be built throughout the CBD and inner suburbs.

-Forget turning Port Road Hindmarsh into our mini St Kilda road, the southern part of the CBD would be ripe for residential towers especially with the torrens extended to the southern parklands.

-Anzac Hwy should be made into Anzac Motorway

-SE Fwy should continue up to Greenhill road. Greenhill road from there to Anzac should be a motorway.

-Tapleys Hill road/Brighton road should be a motorway, as should Port Road. The PREXY should continue through Dry Creek and onto Grand Junction road where the prisons are. Move the prisons to some desolate part of the outback.

Yes I've gotten carried away, just call it revs hangover visions

[Shuz]

#9 Post by [Shuz] » Mon Aug 01, 2016 2:09 am

Rev, I'm starting to regret giving you those red Mitsubishi pills now.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#10 Post by rev » Thu Aug 11, 2016 4:38 pm

[Shuz] wrote:Rev, I'm starting to regret giving you those red Mitsubishi pills now.
Come now Shuz, you know my ideas would make the rest of the nation envious of our giant polished balls that we've decided to finally put to use.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#11 Post by crawf » Fri Aug 12, 2016 11:48 am

Wouldn't it be cheaper to just demolish the entire city and start again? lol

Forget the Commonwealth Games, Adelaide should look at bidding for the fast growing Youth Olympic Games. It will give the city far wider international exposure, infrastructure improvements and be the first Australian city to host them.

Let's be real we will never see an Adelaide Olympic Games in our lifetime, this is the next best opportunity.
-The old RAH should largely be demolished. If there was to be a commonwealth games bid it should be the site of an athletes village.
A proper athletes village not temporary. The buildings could then be turned into hotels and sold off as residential apartments or a mix of both.
TBH I have always thought Keswick/Mile End railyards would make a perfect athletes village either for the Youth Olympics or Commonwealth Games.

If it wasn't for certain stubborn Labor ministers last decade (e.g. Foley), we could of easily won the rights to host the 2018 Commonwealth Games. Now we are looking at least 2030 or 2034, where we could face competition from Perth.

ml69
Legendary Member!

#12 Post by ml69 » Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:25 pm

crawf wrote:Wouldn't it be cheaper to just demolish the entire city and start again? lol

Forget the Commonwealth Games, Adelaide should look at bidding for the fast growing Youth Olympic Games. It will give the city far wider international exposure, infrastructure improvements and be the first Australian city to host them.

Let's be real we will never see an Adelaide Olympic Games in our lifetime, this is the next best opportunity.
TBH I have always thought Keswick/Mile End railyards would make a perfect athletes village either for the Youth Olympics or Commonwealth Games.

If it wasn't for certain stubborn Labor ministers last decade (e.g. Foley), we could of easily won the rights to host the 2018 Commonwealth Games. Now we are looking at least 2030 or 2034, where we could face competition from Perth.
Great suggestion on YOG ... far better exposure as mentioned. I also read somewhere that YOG organisers don't demand brand spanking new infrastructure so will be much more affordable to host.

If we got a new indoor arena at Memorial Drive out of the event plus redevelopment of Keswick/MileEnd into residential (making use of the new Wayville rail station) plus international exposure that would be a pretty fair outcome from the event.

Benm16
Gold-Member ;)

#13 Post by Benm16 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:46 pm

Well it looks like this vision has become a reality with the new pop up Urban Beach on this exact site. Really happy about this, I just hope it's successful and helps push forward a more developed and permanent structure.

Ho Really

#14 Post by Ho Really » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:21 pm

Benm16 wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:46 pm
Well it looks like this vision has become a reality with the new pop up Urban Beach on this exact site...
I know your intentions are good, but this is a gimmick I'm sorry to say. Sand should be at the beach where it belongs not on a riverbank near a stagnant lake! Our Surf Life Saving Clubs (and beaches) would've been better off with the money wasted here, even if it was only a small amount. Any money helps. Anyhow, there are plenty of other great suggestions for the riverbank either side of the river, and I'm talking about serious stuff. That's what needs to be done if Adelaide wants to be a player in the big time. Let's try again shall we...?

Cheers
Confucius say: Dumb man climb tree to get cherry, wise man spread limbs.

Llessur2002

#15 Post by Llessur2002 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:36 am

Ho Really wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:21 pm
Benm16 wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:46 pm
Well it looks like this vision has become a reality with the new pop up Urban Beach on this exact site...
I know your intentions are good, but this is a gimmick I'm sorry to say. Sand should be at the beach where it belongs not on a riverbank near a stagnant lake! Our Surf Life Saving Clubs (and beaches) would've been better off with the money wasted here, even if it was only a small amount. Any money helps. Anyhow, there are plenty of other great suggestions for the riverbank either side of the river, and I'm talking about serious stuff. That's what needs to be done if Adelaide wants to be a player in the big time. Let's try again shall we...?

Cheers
Why don't we wait and see how well patronised it is before we write it off as a gimmick and money wasted? How is this any different to any other event held on the riverbank like RCC, Lola's Pergola etc? If it's popular and well-received then where's the problem?