News & Discussion: Other Metropolitan Developments

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

Re: News & Discussion: Metropolitan Developments

#1216 Post by SRW » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:07 pm

I agree that the convenience of a car park out front for a quick stop will inform some shopping decisions, but I would suggest that the importance of this kind of shopper to Jetty Road is marginal at best.

Jetty Road is a destination district, not just a row of suburban shops on your way home. Most people visiting will be attending a multiple of shops, cafes and/or bars, walking up and down the strip. The proposal seeks to make that walk more pleasant, and hopefully entice a longer stay (and larger spend).

It’s a shame that some traders can’t see the benefit of that versus the loss of a few time-restricted car parks.
Keep Adelaide Weird

how good is he
Legendary Member!

#1217 Post by how good is he » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:31 pm

I think the traders on Jetty Rd prefer the customers that actually spend and are in/out over the window shoppers that may spend all day walking up and down the strip but spend very little relative to the time they are there. Sure its ok if you are the one enjoying the day/destination but that doesn’t pay the bills for the traders (with the highest rents in SA alongside Rundle Mall/The Parade.)

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#1218 Post by SRW » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:59 pm

how good is he wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:31 pm
I think the :cheers: traders on Jetty Rd prefer the customers that actually spend and are in/out over the window shoppers that may spend all day walking up and down the strip but spend very little relative to the time they are there. Sure its ok if you are the one enjoying the day/destination but that doesn’t pay the bills for the traders (with the highest rents in SA alongside Rundle Mall/The Parade.)
Getting people to visit the strip is half the battle!

Most traders will blame low foot traffic for poor performance. So if the proposed revamp is likely to increase it (per the example of similar efforts elsewhere), that’s a good thing.

As a trader on a strip (albeit in another district), ‘window shoppers’ as you describe them are not a problem. It’s ultimately up to the trader to convert browsers to buyers. If they can’t, that’s a reflection of either their service or offering.
Keep Adelaide Weird

rhino
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#1219 Post by rhino » Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:13 pm

SRW wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:07 pm
It’s a shame that some traders can’t see the benefit of that versus the loss of a few time-restricted car parks.
This /\ /\ /\

Surely they can see that increased foot traffic is going to outweigh by far the small number of shoppers who might be turned away by the fact that they can't get a rockstar carpark (which is what you would need if there is a 15-minute time limit set)
cheers,
Rhino

how good is he
Legendary Member!

#1220 Post by how good is he » Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:48 pm

Having lived there I would say that Jetty Rd/Glenelg has two very distinct almost opposing demographics. If you go there in winter it is almost a ghost town and it is the regulars/locals that keep the place going esp. the Mon- Fri 9am-5pm trade. I think the "rockstar carpark" catch-phrase is a being over-used in this discussion and maybe "granny/little old lady carpark" is more an apt title.
The locals/regulars are used to being able to park for most of the year easily, get what they need & able to get on with their day quickly. Be it the bank, chemist, newsagency, centrelink [pensioners], dry cleaner, fruit&veg., bakery etc The other market, the "blow-in" leisurely/holiday/destination/tourist market predominately frequents the place in nice weather/summer and mainly weekends. This demographic tends to mainly service only the food/drink traders and the bit of retail that there is. This often forces the locals/regulars to head as far away as Glenelg South to The Broadway to get what they need and to remind themselves of a gentler time...

Nathan

#1221 Post by Nathan » Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:15 pm

how good is he wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:48 pm
Having lived there I would say that Jetty Rd/Glenelg has two very distinct almost opposing demographics. If you go there in winter it is almost a ghost town and it is the regulars/locals that keep the place going esp. the Mon- Fri 9am-5pm trade. I think the "rockstar carpark" catch-phrase is a being over-used in this discussion and maybe "granny/little old lady carpark" is more an apt title.
The locals/regulars are used to being able to park for most of the year easily, get what they need & able to get on with their day quickly. Be it the bank, chemist, newsagency, centrelink [pensioners], dry cleaner, fruit&veg., bakery etc The other market, the "blow-in" leisurely/holiday/destination/tourist market predominately frequents the place in nice weather/summer and mainly weekends. This demographic tends to mainly service only the food/drink traders and the bit of retail that there is. This often forces the locals/regulars to head as far away as Glenelg South to The Broadway to get what they need and to remind themselves of a gentler time...
I grew up around Glenelg, and you're right about the two demographics. Most of those kind of businesses that fit that 'pop in' style (bank, chemist, bakery, etc. etc.) are down the eastern half of Jetty Rd. The majority of the car parks to be removed will be at the western, beach end.

During the ghost town time of the year, the 30 parks will have zero consequence. During the summer, even with the current number of parks, I would never ever consider trying to find a park on Jetty Rd. The time you save walking from your rockstar park to the shop is more than wiped out by trundling up and down slowly looking for one, stuck behind all the other people doing the same. This applied as much 20 years ago as it does now.

Eurostar
Legendary Member!

#1222 Post by Eurostar » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:10 pm

Nathan wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:15 pm
how good is he wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:48 pm
I grew up around Glenelg, and you're right about the two demographics. Most of those kind of businesses that fit that 'pop in' style (bank, chemist, bakery, etc. etc.) are down the eastern half of Jetty Rd. The majority of the car parks to be removed will be at the western, beach end.

During the ghost town time of the year, the 30 parks will have zero consequence. During the summer, even with the current number of parks, I would never ever consider trying to find a park on Jetty Rd. The time you save walking from your rockstar park to the shop is more than wiped out by trundling up and down slowly looking for one, stuck behind all the other people doing the same. This applied as much 20 years ago as it does now.
When I visit Glenelg in my car I find it easy to park in the carpark below the GU Filmhouse Cinemas especially if I just want to pick up an order at North Indian Cuisine

ghs

#1223 Post by ghs » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:41 pm

When I visit Glenelg in my car I find it easy to park in the carpark below the GU Filmhouse Cinemas especially if I just want to pick up an order at North Indian Cuisine
Mate, how much advertising do you want to do on this site ?

[Shuz]

#1224 Post by [Shuz] » Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:54 am

ghs wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:41 pm
Mate, how much advertising do you want to do on this site ?
Coming from you, considering how much trolling you do that's a bit rich... pot, kettle, black.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

fishinajar
High Rise Poster!

#1225 Post by fishinajar » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:32 am

Llessur2002 wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:38 am
I would suggest that if a business situated on a busy street like Jetty Road with plenty of pedestrian activity cannot survive if 30 of the several hundred car parks in the immediate vicinity are removed then they are not suited to the environment in which they are trying to trade and should move to one of the shopping centres located on main roads like Kurralta Park or Fulham Gardens.

There are plenty of businesses that would absolutely thrive on a revamped pedestrian-focused Jetty Road :roll:
I agree, but raise you, the 30 spaces would not actually be in the immediate vicinity of any one business. For any of the businesses they would be effectively losing only a few spaces that are actually close by.

Eurostar
Legendary Member!

#1226 Post by Eurostar » Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:03 pm

The new Liberty Service Station on corner of Hodby Crescent and Curtis Road in Smithfield Plains is now open. Cheaper fuel price compared to On The Run too.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#1227 Post by Norman » Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:58 pm

Work start date for $13m Marion Hotel project
Michelle Etheridge, CoastCity Weekly Messenger, 11 December 2017

WORK will start in March on a $13 million overhaul of the Marion Hotel, including a five-storey accommodation complex.
A Marion Council panel last week approved the project, which will more than double the watering hole’s workforce from 45 people to 110.
Hurley Hotel Group general manager Sam McInnes hoped to fill a gap in accommodation in the area, particularly for people heading to the SA Aquatic & Leisure Centre and Tonsley and Flinders precincts.
“It’s very exciting times,” Mr McInnes said.
“I think the hotel is due for a bit of a revamp and we’re pleased to be heading forward with it.”
The Mitchell Park pub will feature 64 motel rooms, a beer garden, two dining areas, new bars, function rooms and a drive-through bottle shop.
Work is expected to take about a year.
The panel gave the pub permission to complete the project, subject to it submitting details on how stormwater would be captured and reused at the Marion Rd property.
The business also needs to provide more information on plans for trees and plants at the site.
Panel member Sue Giles said the hotel group had not demonstrated an intention to reuse extra stormwater run-off.
“This is a big development and I don’t consider that good enough,” she said.
“The development doesn’t contribute a great environmental contribution to the area.
“Social, yes, economic, yes, but not to the environment.”
Mr McInnes said the company was comfortable with the conditions imposed and could use recycled stormwater for irrigation.
Cr Janet Byram was concerned about plans to axe several mature trees on the property.
However, company representatives told the meeting the business had just planted 12 claret ash trees to make up for the loss.
“It’s a beautifully shaded site, and I felt it was a pity to lose that so it’s good to have those trees coming back,” Cr Byram said.
It will be the hotel’s first major revamp in about 20 years.
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/messenger ... 2a31ec52f6

Nathan

#1228 Post by Nathan » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:05 pm

Could probably do with it's own thread like Tonsley, but for now:
Pelligra Group to turn Holden’s Elizabeth plant into hi-tech manufacturing hub
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/business/ ... aa952e33bd

JUST 56 days after the automotive industry in South Australia was given its last rites, a Victorian white knight is set to splash $250 million on reinvigorating the state’s most iconic industry site.

The Pelligra Group, a Melbourne-based industrial and construction powerhouse, is to turn the Holden site in Elizabeth, which shut down in October, into a world-class and hi-tech manufacturing hub fuelled by local, national and international tenants.

The deal for the newly named Lionsgate Business Park — for an undisclosed sum — is set to go through on Friday after Pelligra chairman, Ross Pelligra, signed the unconditional undertaking on Wednesday night.

Up to 400 construction jobs will be created during the initial phase of a master plan expected to stretch to 20 years before it is completed, Mr Pelligra told The Advertiser.

A further 100 jobs could be created via a plan to make the site green — renewable energy has a vital and huge future in Adelaide, he said.

The Pelligra Group has been working on the deal since May this year, said the company’s development manager Sean Doyle, who has driven the purchase along with his 39-year-old chairman.

Sustaining its heritage and helping the local workforce will be integral to Pelligra’s attempt to position Lionsgate as a destination for clean manufacturing and engineering along the lines of the standards set by the food industry in Japan, Mr Pelligra said.

An on-site museum to pay tribute to the culture and legacy of the GMH workforce will be up and running soon.

“We will start the process of interviewing operators for it,” Mr Pelligra said.

“By February, we will be in a position to start naming some clients. There is already a lot of interest in Lionsgate from our clients in Melbourne.”

High-end manufacturing and research and development are Mr Pelligra’s initial goals.

“We will take manufacturing to the next level of urban renewal,” he said.

“All of the key infrastructure is in place in the surrounding areas, there is no box this project doesn’t tick.

“Manufacturing is not dead in Australia, it’s dead for the $2 job which we should not be working for anyway.”

Pelligra will lease back about 30 per cent of the site to GMH so it can continue its parts and servicing operations, a process expected to last up to 10 years, while education, sport and recreation and retail precincts will all be developed once the manufacturing precinct is under way at Lionsgate.

A separate GMH decommissioning process expected to last until mid-2019 has already begun.

Holden director of manufacturing, engineering and facilities Matthew Goodwins said Holden was pleased the site would continue to be a hub of industry and jobs.

“Our wish for the future of the site has always been that it continues to create jobs for Elizabeth and the surrounding area and we believe that Pelligra’s master plan for the site is positioned to achieve this,” Mr Goodwins said.

“We are also delighted with Pelligra’s intention to recognise the heritage of the site and its important place in Adelaide’s history and in the Elizabeth community.”

Mr Pelligra confirmed Salisbury and Playford councils, and SA Premier Jay Weatherill have been wholly supportive of the project.

“This is exciting news for the people of the northern suburbs and demonstrates the confidence investors have in the South Australian economy” Mr Weatherill said.

“This site is set to become a shining example of our state’s transition from old economy to new economy.

“Hopefully it won’t be too long before the site has more people working on it than Holden did.”

The Melbourne-headquartered Pelligra group — a third-generation family outfit — has 700 staff across southeast Australia and parts of Asia and comes with a heavy construction catalogue of industrial warehouses, business parks and offices around outer, industrial Melbourne.

Mr Pelligra says the new acquisition will allow former automotive workers to re-employ their skills and experience within the many companies he hopes to bring to Lionsgate.

“I don’t want GMH to become a storage facility,” Mr Pelligra told The Advertiser.

Among its construction achievements, Pelligra boasts a landmark 8400 sqm warehouse for Steelforce in Melbourne, a multipurpose business centre in Roxburgh Park and is constructing a huge state-of-the-art industrial and logistics facility in Altona, North Victoria.

It is also about to develop a former ECH site in Largs Bay in Adelaide and has expansive plans for South Australia.

“We are not stopping there, we are looking at other projects in Adelaide,” Mr Pelligra said.

PeFe

#1229 Post by PeFe » Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:40 pm

Re-confirmation of planning laws allowing medium to high rise (well 12 storeys at Glenelg and six in the inner suburbs)
From The Advertiser
New planning laws pave the way for $200m in high-rise developments across Adelaide

THE State Government has scrapped a contentious plan to allow high-rise housing at sites in Malvern, Norwood and Mile End after a backlash from local residents.

But Planning Minister John Rau has approved taller building height limits at eight other properties around Adelaide, paving the way for almost $200 million in new developments.

Mr Rau today announced his decision on a proposal to “spot rezone” 12 city-fringe sites for high-rise apartments.

He said he would “not proceed” with a plan to allow a five-storey building at 301-305 Unley Rd following months of community opposition.

<iframe src="https://www.google.com/map ... ></iframe>

Unley residents lodged more than 200 submissions objecting to a rezoning of the block, where developer Catcorp was planning a $40 million apartment and office complex.

Mr Rau has also ruled out high-rise apartments at 52-60 The Parade, Norwood, 6-10 Railway Tce, Mile End, and at the 8000sq m Otto’s Timber and Joinery factory, in Stepney.

Each of those proposals attracted criticism from local residents and councils during public consultation and State Planning Commission public meetings earlier this year.

“I have not approved rezoning for the 4 sites where the community was strongly opposed to the rezoning, and where impacts on adjoining residents would be more difficult to manage,” Mr Rau said.

“The size and location of those sites meant that the interface with existing houses would be challenging.”

Full article : http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/messenger ... e55526fa39

[Shuz]

#1230 Post by [Shuz] » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:35 am

Cinemas, shopping, accommodation plan for Blackwood in Adelaide’s south

Caleb Bond, Hills Valley Weekly Messenger
January 16, 2018 2:00pm

THE heart of Blackwood would be transformed with new shopping centres, cinemas, accommodation and more parking under an ambitious, 30-year plan to revive the stagnating area.

The Blackwood Business Network masterplan sets out potential improvements over the coming decades in the retail and dining precinct.

The business group hoped the as-yet-uncosted masterplan would be embraced by the wider community and, ultimately, Mitcham Council.

A redeveloped Woolworths shopping centre with increased retail space, incorporating undercroft parking, entertainment options and active frontages (cafes to Coromandel Pde). Blackwood Business Network president Jane Silbereisen said it was vital to come up with a cogent plan for the future of trade in the area.

“I knew from when I had my shop that trying to get foot traffic and having a viable business was a difficult and tricky situation up here,” said Ms Silbereisen, who used to own a furniture shop in Blackwood and has also served as a Mitcham councillor.

“I now understand everything that contributes to those issues – and the issue is that Blackwood initially was never planned.

“What we have now is a couple of shopping centres … but we still don’t have the fundamental infrastructure that consumers need and want to comfortably shop in the area.”

She said in the era of online transactions, people wanted physical shopping to be a one-stop experience.

For Blackwood to survive, it needed a wider range of traders.

“(People) can’t get everything they need up here,” Ms Silbereisen said.

“Consumer shopping habits are changing, so the critical thing is you have to incorporate all this infrastructure to attract people to an area so they not only shop there, but have their social occasions, meeting places and entertainment.”

Work on the masterplan started in 2012, when community consultation found people wanted more bars, entertainment venues such as theatres and markets and undercover parking.

Multiple council studies on Blackwood’s business district, conducted over the past 30 years, were also considered when creating the plan.

The HillsValley Weekly last year reported traders’ concerns over the future of the shopping precinct after longstanding business Blackwood Sound relocated to Marion.

At the time, traders identified a lack of foot traffic, high rents and a lack of investment in the district as key issues.

Mitcham Council recently revealed a plan to create a mini-mall on Young St, behind the Foodland shopping centre, which it hoped would help begin a commercial revival.

Mitcham Mayor Glenn Spear last week said while he had not yet seen the Blackwood Business Network masterplan, he welcomed “community input into planning for the future” of Mitcham.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.