News & Discussion: Cycling

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
SBD
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: News & Discussion: Cycling Infrastructure

#226 Post by SBD » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:47 pm

Listy wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:36 pm
mshagg wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:44 pm
Not sure if anyone uses linear park west of the city, but the port road underpass has been a bit of a running saga. It fell into disrepair and the council (Charles Sturt's) response was to erect signs instructing people to dismount from their bikes (nb: we didn't). They re-did the timber a number of weeks ago and managed to make it 100000x times worse in the process, as subsequent warping of the planks has made the surface borderline unrideable on even a fairly forgiving bike.

An extract of an email I received from the bridge asset manager:
The decking boards that were replaced have now started to undergo shrinkage and cupping – as timber is a natural material this cannot be avoided. These minor issues have been identified and will go into our future maintenance/rehab program. I do agree that the timber planks are not great for rideability and in future years when the entire underpass is renewed/replaced timber will not be the choice for the decking.
tl;dr - if you use the port road underpass, get used to the surface or start using the road lol.
I use this underpass everyday, and 'not great for rideability' is a huge understatement! I doubt it will be replaced anytime soon though - the timber that was there previously was at least 20 years old so it could be quite a while before the new stuff gets replaced. Crossing on the surface isn't really worth it - there are 3 sets of lights to get from one side of Port Rd to the other, and they are not synced, so it can take 5-10 minutes. I don't see why the council didn't fix it properly from the outset - they had a large pool of state & federal money left over from the Holland St bridge repair which had to be spent on work like this.
If this was a timber deck in a rotunda or something, the solution would be an industrial floor sander to address the "natural cupping". It should be the same for the bridge. Since they want a non-slip surface, it doesn't even need ot be done multiple times with progressively finer sanding. the coarse version would be sufficient!

Listy
High Rise Poster!

#227 Post by Listy » Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:36 am

SBD wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:47 pm
Listy wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:36 pm
mshagg wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:44 pm
Not sure if anyone uses linear park west of the city, but the port road underpass has been a bit of a running saga. It fell into disrepair and the council (Charles Sturt's) response was to erect signs instructing people to dismount from their bikes (nb: we didn't). They re-did the timber a number of weeks ago and managed to make it 100000x times worse in the process, as subsequent warping of the planks has made the surface borderline unrideable on even a fairly forgiving bike.

An extract of an email I received from the bridge asset manager:

tl;dr - if you use the port road underpass, get used to the surface or start using the road lol.
I use this underpass everyday, and 'not great for rideability' is a huge understatement! I doubt it will be replaced anytime soon though - the timber that was there previously was at least 20 years old so it could be quite a while before the new stuff gets replaced. Crossing on the surface isn't really worth it - there are 3 sets of lights to get from one side of Port Rd to the other, and they are not synced, so it can take 5-10 minutes. I don't see why the council didn't fix it properly from the outset - they had a large pool of state & federal money left over from the Holland St bridge repair which had to be spent on work like this.
If this was a timber deck in a rotunda or something, the solution would be an industrial floor sander to address the "natural cupping". It should be the same for the bridge. Since they want a non-slip surface, it doesn't even need ot be done multiple times with progressively finer sanding. the coarse version would be sufficient!
You're right - remediating the bumps shouldn't be too hard, it's just a matter of how long we have to wait before the council gets around to doing it. At least the nearby section of path that was slowly collapsing into the river has now been properly repaired.

mshagg
Legendary Member!

#228 Post by mshagg » Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:44 pm

They did note in their response they wanted to use a composite material but were knocked back on external funding.

Also noted audits are underway for bridges in the council boundaries and they expect this underpass to come back as "good condition", which I expect will determine the time frame for remediation.

ralmin
Gold-Member ;)

#229 Post by ralmin » Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:10 pm

On Twitter, Modacity wrote:
Vancouver’s Union Street. Fun fact: one local restauranteur opposed this project in 2013, claiming it would “cut him off at the knees”. Twelve months later, he was on the record stating business was better than ever, largely in part to an increase in tourists riding bikes there.

Llessur2002

#230 Post by Llessur2002 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:41 am

Looks like ofo have brought in reinforcements...

Llessur2002

#231 Post by Llessur2002 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:30 am

Plus now Charles Sturt are officially on board Image

Nathan

#232 Post by Nathan » Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:55 am

How do the two zones work? I can't seem to find any information about it. Are you allowed to take a bike from one zone into another?

On an aside, I'm guessing they have a base in Kent Town behind Bunnings. There's a tiny tiny zone marked on the map, which has a preferred parking marker and a heap of bikes.

Llessur2002

#233 Post by Llessur2002 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:05 am

Nathan wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:55 am
How do the two zones work? I can't seem to find any information about it. Are you allowed to take a bike from one zone into another?

On an aside, I'm guessing they have a base in Kent Town behind Bunnings. There's a tiny tiny zone marked on the map, which has a preferred parking marker and a heap of bikes.
As far as I know, yes. I think it's just one big zone - not sure why it's portrayed as two on the map.

Will be great for those days when I can't ride into work in the mornings for one reason for the other but would like to ride home and vice versa.

Kasey771
Legendary Member!

#234 Post by Kasey771 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:44 pm

ralmin wrote:On Twitter, Modacity wrote:
Vancouver’s Union Street. Fun fact: one local restauranteur opposed this project in 2013, claiming it would “cut him off at the knees”. Twelve months later, he was on the record stating business was better than ever, largely in part to an increase in tourists riding bikes there.
I can’t for the life of me figure out why it is so hard to get something like this built in Adelaide? I mean there’s a tonne of evidence from cities around the world including in car-centric countries like America that these bikeways are overwhelmingly a plus for cities.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Big infrastructure investments are usually under-valued and & over-criticized while in the planning stage. It's much easier to envision the here and now costs and inconveniences, and far more difficult to imagine fully the eventual benefits.

Nort

#235 Post by Nort » Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:42 pm

Kasey771 wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:44 pm
ralmin wrote:On Twitter, Modacity wrote:
I can’t for the life of me figure out why it is so hard to get something like this built in Adelaide? I mean there’s a tonne of evidence from cities around the world including in car-centric countries like America that these bikeways are overwhelmingly a plus for cities.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think you will find those people are wastefully using the road for transport as opposed to letting it take its rightful place as a parking lot.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#236 Post by Norman » Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:12 pm

Some photos from the city bikeway between Pirie and Grenfell Streets.

This part confuses me, which part is the bikeway?

Llessur2002

#237 Post by Llessur2002 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:34 am

I get the impression that obike have given up on Adelaide for the time being - the app shows there are only about four bikes in the city and I know from trying to find them that one of those doesn't exist and two of the others have been heavily vandalised with smashed locks and buckled wheels.

ofo on the other hand seems to be doing very well - I have taken about 20 rides around the CBD now and find them really useful. The bikes are well maintained and any problems such as damaged bikes or missing helmets are dealt with quickly by the local team. We just need about 200 more of them and it'll be perfect...

I have noticed that the groups of school kids that hang around the Myer Centre have taken to riding ofos so getting one in the proximity of Rundle Mall after around 3pm is pretty tricky. Still, at least they're keeping active.

Nathan

#238 Post by Nathan » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:25 pm

Llessur2002 wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:34 am
I get the impression that obike have given up on Adelaide for the time being - the app shows there are only about four bikes in the city and I know from trying to find them that one of those doesn't exist and two of the others have been heavily vandalised with smashed locks and buckled wheels.

ofo on the other hand seems to be doing very well - I have taken about 20 rides around the CBD now and find them really useful. The bikes are well maintained and any problems such as damaged bikes or missing helmets are dealt with quickly by the local team. We just need about 200 more of them and it'll be perfect...

I have noticed that the groups of school kids that hang around the Myer Centre have taken to riding ofos so getting one in the proximity of Rundle Mall after around 3pm is pretty tricky. Still, at least they're keeping active.
There a few oBikes near the kiosk in Bonython Park, along with some ofo bikes. The ofo bikes are definitely more popular though - they tend to move around a lot, whereas the oBikes often stay put.

Llessur2002

#239 Post by Llessur2002 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:59 pm

Nathan wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:25 pm
The ofo bikes are definitely more popular though - they tend to move around a lot, whereas the oBikes often stay put.
Something to do with the $70 joining fee maybe?

ghs

#240 Post by ghs » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:34 pm

I went to use a free council bike from a backpackers place on the weekend. There was about 8 bikes there and they were all out of order.

Should ACC's free bike service continue now that bike sharing has come in ?

The Ofo bikes are much better bikes than what the council provides.