[VIS] Memorial Drive upgrade

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Message
Author
User avatar
Paulns
Donating Member
Donating Member
Posts: 470
Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2007 11:55 am
Has thanked: 130 times
Been thanked: 33 times

[VIS] Memorial Drive upgrade

#151 Post by Paulns » Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:00 pm

fifty wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:11 pm
Yep, Oval 2 is the spot for a future rectangular stadium.
There's no way I can see SACA Members/Adelaide Oval giving up Adelaide Oval No.2 let alone North Adelaide residents and the Parklands lobby group agreeing to it. They'd be an uproar. You only have to see how popular the Village Green's become during the Test Matches on the back oval. It's apart of the fixture now.
"SA GOING ALL THE WAY".

User avatar
Llessur2002
Legendary Member!
Posts: 1456
Joined: Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:59 pm
Location: West Croydon
Has thanked: 423 times
Been thanked: 666 times

[VIS] Re: Memorial Drive upgrade

#152 Post by Llessur2002 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:17 pm

I think there's considerable scope for expansion and upgrade of the existing Hindmarsh Stadium (one heritage church aside) and it's a great location for it too - would be even more so with a very short tram extension.

how good is he
Legendary Member!
Posts: 908
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:26 am
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 44 times

[VIS] Re: Memorial Drive upgrade

#153 Post by how good is he » Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:47 pm

Patrick, I think the majority consensus is that the current proposal is absolute garbage to ask us taxpayers to spend $150m on a lousy 6,000 seat stadium just for tennis in a really cramped location. If they cant do something properly they shouldn't do it all. I think the rectangular stadium with tennis/basketball plus allowing many other things not just soccer ie AFL X, rugby, boxing, concerts will maximise its use all year around and deliver a far better return on our money [and we should tell the political parties that.]

fifty
High Rise Poster!
Posts: 108
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:58 am
Has thanked: 27 times
Been thanked: 2 times

[VIS] [VIS] Re: [VIS] Memorial Drive upgrade

#154 Post by fifty » Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:25 pm


Paulns wrote:There's no way I can see SACA Members/Adelaide Oval giving up Adelaide Oval No.2 let alone North Adelaide residents and the Parklands lobby group agreeing to it. They'd be an uproar. You only have to see how popular the Village Green's become during the Test Matches on the back oval. It's apart of the fixture now.
Adelaide pissantism at its best.

Oval #2 is a very nicely manicured training/district cricket ground in summer at best, and deserted for the rest of the year. Five days of Village green during the Test match (which would not be lost totally anyway - there would remain plenty of room between the two stadiums) barely rates a mention if we're being serious compared to tens of thousands of spectators attending Reds games, events, aflx, etc.. throughout the year.

Back on topic, Memorial Drive footprint has been shown above to be large enough to accommodate a Rod Laver sized arena. No squashing needed.

Add Tennis SA, BASA, Netball SA, Soccer SA to the SMA to run the entire precinct optimally. Happy days!

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk



crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member
Posts: 5415
Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2006 7:49 pm
Location: Adelaide
Has thanked: 176 times
Been thanked: 320 times

[VIS] Re: Memorial Drive upgrade

#155 Post by crawf » Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:57 pm

how good is he wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:47 pm
Patrick, I think the majority consensus is that the current proposal is absolute garbage to ask us taxpayers to spend $150m on a lousy 6,000 seat stadium just for tennis in a really cramped location. If they cant do something properly they shouldn't do it all. I think the rectangular stadium with tennis/basketball plus allowing many other things not just soccer ie AFL X, rugby, boxing, concerts will maximise its use all year around and deliver a far better return on our money [and we should tell the political parties that.]
You are comparing apples and oranges. A rectangle stadium would be an absolute horrible venue for sports such as tennis and basketball, not to mention many concerts would struggle to fill all seats and would lose the intimacy that an indoor arena brings.

A new rectangle stadium is needed, however this discussion is about an indoor arena. Entirely different things.

how good is he
Legendary Member!
Posts: 908
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:26 am
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 44 times

[VIS] Re: Memorial Drive upgrade

#156 Post by how good is he » Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:21 pm

Yes I totally agree it’s not ideal but I can’t see us getting 2 new sports venues built either (for hundreds of millions each) in the foreseeable future but yes that would be the ideal outcome. I am curious to know if there is any place in the world that has combined both.

how good is he
Legendary Member!
Posts: 908
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:26 am
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 44 times

[VIS] Re: Memorial Drive upgrade

#157 Post by how good is he » Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:01 am

So still an indoor arena (maybe with retractable roof) that can convert (moveable hydraulic grandstand seating) to cater for crowds of 3,000 or 10,000 or 30,000. I know the new Convention Centre/Plenary building was designed with a similar concept (on a smaller scale) with areas from 300 people converting to allow up to 3000 people with auditorium/theatre seating adaptable to the size of the audience.

rev
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 3869
Joined: Sat Nov 11, 2006 12:14 pm
Has thanked: 249 times
Been thanked: 351 times

[VIS] Re: Memorial Drive upgrade

#158 Post by rev » Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:51 am

Forget oval 2, everything between memorial drive tennis and the courts on the corner need to be bulldozed and replaced by an indoor arena with 10-15k capacity for tennis etc, with smaller courts around it to host men’s and women’s tour events.
A rectangular stadium over on park 12 on the eastern side of the oval across the road where the uni ovals are, with no more then 20-25k capacity built. Plenty of unused parklands in the south of the city they can use for their uni sports.
Memorial drive between Montefiore road and frome road needs to be removed entirely. With the whole area landscaped and walkways linking the two with a fancy footbridge over king William.
We can dream.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member
Posts: 5415
Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2006 7:49 pm
Location: Adelaide
Has thanked: 176 times
Been thanked: 320 times

[VIS] Re: Memorial Drive upgrade

#159 Post by crawf » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:30 am

how good is he wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:01 am
So still an indoor arena (maybe with retractable roof) that can convert (moveable hydraulic grandstand seating) to cater for crowds of 3,000 or 10,000 or 30,000. I know the new Convention Centre/Plenary building was designed with a similar concept (on a smaller scale) with areas from 300 people converting to allow up to 3000 people with auditorium/theatre seating adaptable to the size of the audience.
The Plenary Hall is on a much much more smaller scale.

What you are suggesting is unrealistic and the cost would outweigh both a rectangle stadium and an arena combined. Not to mention the playing fields do not compare in the slightest hence why there are two separate venues. Even if it was realistic, it would still have a negative impact on Adelaide hosting events, due to the lack of venues. We have already seen some events bypass Adelaide due to Adelaide Oval being overcrowded with events and Hindmarsh / AEC being too dated. For a city of Adelaide's size, there needs be a mix. Adelaide Oval - AFL/Cricket/Major Events, Rectangle Stadium - Soccer/Rugby/Events, Arena - Tennis/Basketball/Concerts etc.

To put things into perspective, this is what you are suggesting of combining.

AAMI Park - 30,000
Image

Perth Arena - 15,000
Image

---

And this is what we currently have.

Image


It's super embarrassing.
Last edited by crawf on Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Vee
Legendary Member!
Posts: 1105
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:26 pm
Location: Eastern Suburbs
Has thanked: 144 times
Been thanked: 39 times

[VIS] Re: Memorial Drive upgrade

#160 Post by Vee » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:35 am

CDJ wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:33 pm
6000 is too small. 10000-12000, based on similar business model to Rod Laver Arena is sensible.
The bulk of RLA's income is from concerts, not tennis.
If we're seriously talking about using Memorial Drive for NBL it should be bigger than the current stadium which is usually at capacity. If you bring it into the city, you'll have more people wanting to attend, not less.
Adelaide Oval should have shown to people that if you build it, they will come. This applies to sport and concerts. A great venue in the heart of the city will attract people who might not attend the same event in a less central location.
Building a 6000 seat arena as a 'stop-gap' seems like a crazy waste of time and money. Just build the right venue now and fill it with multiple sports and concerts.
Totally agree!

A new stadium/arena in this precinct has to be multi-functional and 6,000 capacity would make it a costly white elephant.
The 36ers attract big crowds now in the ‘burbs. The attractiveness of a Riverbank precinct location would boost attendance but NOT if the stadium/arena is limited to this capacity. Why would they shift? Match lotto tickets?

It needs a complete re-think. Capacity? Position?

Patrick_27
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 1661
Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:41 pm
Location: Adelaide CBD, SA
Been thanked: 197 times

[VIS] Re: Memorial Drive upgrade

#161 Post by Patrick_27 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:57 pm

crawf wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:30 am
how good is he wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:01 am
So still an indoor arena (maybe with retractable roof) that can convert (moveable hydraulic grandstand seating) to cater for crowds of 3,000 or 10,000 or 30,000. I know the new Convention Centre/Plenary building was designed with a similar concept (on a smaller scale) with areas from 300 people converting to allow up to 3000 people with auditorium/theatre seating adaptable to the size of the audience.
The Plenary Hall is on a much much more smaller scale.

What you are suggesting is unrealistic and the cost would outweigh both a rectangle stadium and an arena combined. Not to mention the playing fields do not compare in the slightest hence why there are two separate venues. Even if it was realistic, it would still have a negative impact on Adelaide hosting events, due to the lack of venues. We have already seen some events bypass Adelaide due to Adelaide Oval being overcrowded with events and Hindmarsh / AEC being too dated. For a city of Adelaide's size, there needs be a mix. Adelaide Oval - AFL/Cricket/Major Events, Rectangle Stadium - Soccer/Rugby/Events, Arena - Tennis/Basketball/Concerts etc.

To put things into perspective, this is what you are suggesting of combining.

AAMI Park - 30,000
Image

Perth Arena - 15,000
Image

---

And this is what we currently have.

Image


It's super embarrassing.
Thank you! Now hopefully this marks the end of the most ridiculous pipe dream on this thread.

rev
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 3869
Joined: Sat Nov 11, 2006 12:14 pm
Has thanked: 249 times
Been thanked: 351 times

[VIS] Re: Memorial Drive upgrade

#162 Post by rev » Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:51 am

A $300 million multipurpose stadium back on agenda next to Adelaide Oval
Jesper Fjeldstad, The Advertiser
April 27, 2018 3:03pm
Subscriber only

FEDERAL minister Christopher Pyne has given the strongest indication yet a partnership between Liberal Federal and State Governments will deliver a multipurpose stadium next to Adelaide Oval.

Pyne was speaking on Thursday at the launch of the stage one $9.8 million redevelopment of the historic Memorial Drive tennis complex, which will deliver a new showcourt, more match courts and a clay court complex.

That development is funded by the Federal Government and is expected to be finished at the end of the year.

But Pyne quickly moved on to the envisaged stage two — a multipurpose, $300 million stadium for tennis, netball, basketball and concerts — which could give South Australia a world-class venue and again be in the running for major tennis events.

“I describe it as a beginning,” Pyne said ahead of turning a sod for stage one. “It’s the beginning, in my view, of a complete revitalisation of tennis in South Australia.”

Pyne spoke about the importance of the rejuvenation of the riverbank and what a stage two development would mean for basketball and netball.

SA tennis great John Fitzgerald, the former Davis Cup captain and holder of all Grand Slam doubles titles as a player, could not speak more highly of the vision.

“This is exciting,” Fitzgerald said. “I do feel like I’m coming home when I come here to Memorial Drive — it’s played such a huge part of my life.

“But time evolves and you’ve got to move and you’ve got to upgrade the facilities.

“Especially in a sports-mad state like this, where so many great champions have come from.

“It’s integral to us, I think. And it’s great to see so much support from politicians. I think it’s going to be a wonderful project. This will be world-class.

“Look at the Adelaide Oval — it’s magnificent. When I watch the Crows play I feel so proud of it. This should be the same and I think it will be.”

SA Sports Minister Corey Wingard said a stage two development was one of many infrastructure projects to be discussed.

It is understood the State Government would have to put in the bulk of the money towards a multipurpose stadium, but a successful Commonwealth Games bid could change the landscape with more Federal funds being allocated.

“Across the board, South Australian sporting infrastructure has waned after 16 years of state Labor governments,” Wingard said. “We really need to reassess and work out where we need investing and what are the best projects.

“What’s going to be the most beneficial for South Australia long-term.

“We need to get all of those bodies together (tennis, basketball and netball) and come up with a solution that suits everyone.

“We need to do a really good assessment of that.

“What’s the legacy that we’re going to end up with, and what is sport going to look like in 10 or 15 years?”
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/ten ... cec2291343

Brucetiki
Legendary Member!
Posts: 732
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:20 pm
Has thanked: 396 times
Been thanked: 41 times

[VIS] Re: Memorial Drive upgrade

#163 Post by Brucetiki » Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:44 pm

My Gosh Wingard is a talentless hack.

SA Sports Infrastructure's waned in the past 16 years? Has he not seen Adelaide Oval?

The Libs need to get this development right to avoid another Hindmarsh Stadium situation.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member
Posts: 5415
Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2006 7:49 pm
Location: Adelaide
Has thanked: 176 times
Been thanked: 320 times

[VIS] Re: Memorial Drive upgrade

#164 Post by crawf » Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:05 pm

Brucetiki wrote:
Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:44 pm
My Gosh Wingard is a talentless hack.

SA Sports Infrastructure's waned in the past 16 years? Has he not seen Adelaide Oval?

The Libs need to get this development right to avoid another Hindmarsh Stadium situation.
Then there's the SA Aquatic Centre in Marion which has hosted a number of national and international competitions.

Brucetiki
Legendary Member!
Posts: 732
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:20 pm
Has thanked: 396 times
Been thanked: 41 times

[VIS] Re: Memorial Drive upgrade

#165 Post by Brucetiki » Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:37 pm

crawf wrote:
Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:05 pm
Brucetiki wrote:
Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:44 pm
My Gosh Wingard is a talentless hack.

SA Sports Infrastructure's waned in the past 16 years? Has he not seen Adelaide Oval?

The Libs need to get this development right to avoid another Hindmarsh Stadium situation.
Then there's the SA Aquatic Centre in Marion which has hosted a number of national and international competitions.
Of course - and didn’t the Libs previously sit on their hands over that too?

No wonder the only place Wingard could get a job before the Liberal party was Channel 10.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: SRW and 11 guests