News & Discussion: Adelaide Metro Trains

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
claybro
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: U/C: Electrification & Upgrade of the Adelaide Rail Network

#3271 Post by claybro » Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:37 pm

PeFe wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:21 pm
Agree. Providing TVM's at every station is way too expensive for a city like Adelaide.
However I do have some suggestions to cut down on fare evasion - the obvious one , more compliance checks on heavily patronized routes ie the Glenelg tram, Gawler line train on pension days and certainly on the O-Bahn when all door boarding commences.
Every station in Perth has a ticket machine.-many have permanent security (probably warranted as there is a real feral element here) Perth train system is probably more a similar size of Adelaide than Melbourne or Sydney, so it is not impossible. I think the problem with Adelaide as always is the system needs culling of smaller stations. They are derelict, unsafe, and generally un monitored. Once they are removed, more effort can be made in upgrading and policing the stations that are left.

[Shuz]

#3272 Post by [Shuz] » Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:34 pm

Couple of mentions over at Railpage that Salisbury electrification has (once again) now going to go all the way to Gawler and a second batch of EMUs will be ordered.

Expect an election announcement of course.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

Patrick_27

#3273 Post by Patrick_27 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:39 am

[Shuz] wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:34 pm
Couple of mentions over at Railpage that Salisbury electrification has (once again) now going to go all the way to Gawler and a second batch of EMUs will be ordered.

Had better actually do it this time... Will this include electrification of Outer Harbour?

ChillyPhilly

#3274 Post by ChillyPhilly » Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:57 am

[Shuz] wrote:Couple of mentions over at Railpage that Salisbury electrification has (once again) now going to go all the way to Gawler and a second batch of EMUs will be ordered.

Yes please.

Probably unrelated and a massive stretch but the former ticket office at Salisbury station was open today - albeit with random Adelaide Metro staff.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

Joelmark
High Rise Poster!

#3275 Post by Joelmark » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:30 pm

Thanks for all the updates and especially to those who post current construction pics - much appreciated when you're living abroad!

Re: Gawler line, I've heard it is all set to start, a contract is ready to be signed, etc. but the State Opposition in the Public Works Committee in State Parliament are holding up the final approval of the Gawler Line Electrification report that needs to be signed off by the committee.

Hopefully the impasse can be sorted soon, and works can start within weeks.

Tonsley213
High Rise Poster!

#3276 Post by Tonsley213 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:42 pm

Who won the contract?

Joelmark
High Rise Poster!

#3277 Post by Joelmark » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:57 am

Tonsley213 wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:42 pm
Who won the contract?
(1) Laing 0'Rourke - AECOM & (2) LandLease were the two finalists (according to the guys at Railpage). Winner
I guess will be announced once the impasse mentioned above has been resolved

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#3278 Post by Norman » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:42 am

Pics from this morning

Croydon Station
The platform is complete, but a lot of access paths are still unfinished and they haven't started on the shelter yet.

West platform ramp

Queen Street crossing

East platform ramp

Verbatim9
Gold-Member ;)

#3279 Post by Verbatim9 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:16 pm

Norman wrote:Pics from this morning

Croydon Station
The platform is complete, but a lot of access paths are still unfinished and they haven't started on the shelter yet.

West platform ramp

Queen Street crossing

East platform ramp

That's a huge improvement to what is was like previously.

Patrick_27

#3280 Post by Patrick_27 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:09 pm

Jay Weatherill's Facebook page says that Lend Lease have been signed on to do the Gawler Electrification with work to begin in weeks. Finally.

Kasey771
Legendary Member!

U/C: Electrification & Upgrade of the Adelaide Rail Network

#3281 Post by Kasey771 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:10 pm

Patrick_27 wrote:Jay Weatherill's Facebook page says that Lend Lease have been signed on to do the Gawler Electrification with work to begin in weeks. Finally.
10 years after it was first proposed...It’s amazing how an impending election can get things done isn’t it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Big infrastructure investments are usually under-valued and & over-criticized while in the planning stage. It's much easier to envision the here and now costs and inconveniences, and far more difficult to imagine fully the eventual benefits.

[Shuz]

#3282 Post by [Shuz] » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:17 pm

Well they've only gone to 3 elections promising to do something... you can only take people for mugs for so long.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

Goodsy
Legendary Member!

#3283 Post by Goodsy » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:19 pm

[Shuz] wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:17 pm
Well they've only gone to 3 elections promising to do something... you can only take people for mugs for so long.
You can only do so much when the federal government takes the funding away

Kasey771
Legendary Member!

#3284 Post by Kasey771 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:21 pm

[Shuz] wrote:Well they've only gone to 3 elections promising to do something... you can only take people for mugs for so long.
I used to joke that there was just no incentive for Zjay to electrify Gawler. The north is a labor stronghold. No new votes in it for him. I guess even Jay thought he’d kicked the van down the street too many times to do it again?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Big infrastructure investments are usually under-valued and & over-criticized while in the planning stage. It's much easier to envision the here and now costs and inconveniences, and far more difficult to imagine fully the eventual benefits.

[Shuz]

#3285 Post by [Shuz] » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:22 pm

State could've just borrowed the $180m to fund it on their own. Pretty sure this project has a postive CBR, so in the long term it it would pay for itself.

Also if project is starting imminently - makes me wonder if Labors internal polling is that dire in the northern seats with the NXT threat?
Last edited by [Shuz] on Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.