[COM] Armada Arndale (Redevelopment) | $200m

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

[COM] Re: U/C: Armada Arndale Redevelopment | $200m

#316 Post by rev » Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:03 am

claybro wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:23 pm
But everyone is looking at this from an Adelaide point of view of low density. Is there any reason Arndale can't be connected to the OH line by light rail (if it ever got off the ground) and some serious high density housing be constructed in conjunction with re developement of the entire centre? I don't mean a low cost ghetto, a well planned, well landscaped and well connected communty based around the existing centre?
But Arndale and West Lakes have existed for many years. Why should anything change now?
The new owners wanting to pump a couple hundred million more into Arndale should be a dead give away that it's not an issue, so I don't get why some people continue with the typical fallacies that float around Adelaide that have no basis, like urban legends that nobody remembers how they got started.

They are running their business, under the Armada banner.
They want to increase the value of their investment and turn a bigger profit. That's only gonna happen with an investment in the center it self, a redevelopment and expansion.

I mean, if there was any basis to the theory others are pushing above, why did they build the Churchill Center, which is actually down the road from Arndale? Why did Coles open up another store at St Kilda, again, basically down the road from Arndale which has a much larger Coles already?
Why is Coles and Woolworths in not only Arndale, but West Lakes as well?

There's no logic or basis to the argument.

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

#317 Post by pushbutton » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:37 pm

rev wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:03 am
I mean, if there wany basis to the theory others are pushing above, why did they build the Churchill Center, which is actually down the road from Arndale? Why did Coles open up another store at St Kilda, again, basically down the road from Arndale which has a much larger Coles already?
Why is Coles and Woolworths in not only Arndale, but West Lakes as well?

There's no logic or basis to the argument.
Robina Town Centre (here in Qld) has 2 Woolworths stores in the same building!

bits
Legendary Member!

#318 Post by bits » Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:56 am

Inglefarm SC has 2 Coles, TTP had 2 Coles for years, Northpark SC/Sefton Plaza have Woolworths on opposite sides of the road.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#319 Post by crawf » Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:55 am

bits wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:56 am
Inglefarm SC has 2 Coles, TTP had 2 Coles for years, Northpark SC/Sefton Plaza have Woolworths on opposite sides of the road.
Woolworths at Sefton Park closed down one or two years ago now.

Surprised Ingle Farm still has two Coles, the Bi-Lo rebranding happened over a decade ago. Coles probably don't want Woolies or Foodland to take over either space.

Eurostar
Legendary Member!

#320 Post by Eurostar » Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:43 pm

crawf wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:55 am
bits wrote:

Surprised Ingle Farm still has two Coles, the Bi-Lo rebranding happened over a decade ago. Coles probably don't want Woolies or Foodland to take over either space.
I don't get why Coles didn't change the former Bilo store into a First Choice Liquor instead of building a new building for First Choice Liquorland

Brucetiki
Legendary Member!

#321 Post by Brucetiki » Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:40 pm

bits wrote:
I don't recall TTP ever having 2 Coles.

The Bi-Lo at TTP never rebranded prior to it becoming Harris Scarfe.

Brucetiki
Legendary Member!

#322 Post by Brucetiki » Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:41 pm

Eurostar wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:43 pm
crawf wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:55 am
bits wrote:

I don't get why Coles didn't change the former Bilo store into a First Choice Liquor instead of building a new building for First Choice Liquorland
After hours access perhaps - given nether Coles has direct entry from the carpark?

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

#323 Post by Howie » Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:43 pm

Just got word that Aldi won’t be ready until May 2018.

bits
Legendary Member!

#324 Post by bits » Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:31 pm

Brucetiki wrote:
bits wrote:

Oh yes that is true. It did remain as one of the only bilo's but all stock was Coles branded.

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

#325 Post by pushbutton » Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:38 am

My nearest major shopping centre is Hyperdome. It has a Coles, a Woolworths, an Aldi, and until as recently as last November it still had a Bi-Lo (although as per the last comment it was essentially another Coles but with Bi-Lo signage!)

It's closed now and there's no indication of what will replace it.

Brucetiki
Legendary Member!

#326 Post by Brucetiki » Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:37 pm

bits wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:31 pm
Brucetiki wrote:
bits wrote:

Oh yes that is true. It did remain as one of the only bilo's but all stock was Coles branded.
pushbutton wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:38 am

My nearest major shopping centre is Hyperdome. It has a Coles, a Woolworths, an Aldi, and until as recently as last November it still had a Bi-Lo (although as per the last comment it was essentially another Coles but with Bi-Lo signage!)

Yeah once the Bi-Lo brand wipe began, they were Bi-Lo's in name only pretty much. Everything inside was Coles-branded.

From memory, most of Bi-Lo's home brand stuff was being replaced by Coles brand stuff before they officially decided to wipe the brand.

DcD2510
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#327 Post by DcD2510 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:34 pm

Armada have confirmed they have plans to upgrade, though the information from Wikipedia regarding 70 stores is largely false.

duke
High Rise Poster!

#328 Post by duke » Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:43 pm

Brucetiki wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:37 pm
bits wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:31 pm
Brucetiki wrote:

pushbutton wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:38 am

Yeah once the Bi-Lo brand wipe began, they were Bi-Lo's in name only pretty much. Everything inside was Coles-branded.

From memory, most of Bi-Lo's home brand stuff was being replaced by Coles brand stuff before they officially decided to wipe the brand.
The reason for this was apparently, TTP wouldn't let Coles have two stores branded the same. So the sign outside said Bi-Lo and traded as Bi-Lo, even though the stock was obviously Coles. I wouldn't be surprised if there was some Woolworths angle behind it also.
Who remembers when that Bi-Lo/Coles/HarrisScarffe space was World 4 Kids. That was so much better than Toys R Us ever was.

Brucetiki
Legendary Member!

#329 Post by Brucetiki » Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:52 pm

duke wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:43 pm
The reason for this was apparently, TTP wouldn't let Coles have two stores branded the same. So the sign outside said Bi-Lo and traded as Bi-Lo, even though the stock was obviously Coles. I wouldn't be surprised if there was some Woolworths angle behind it also.
Who remembers when that Bi-Lo/Coles/HarrisScarffe space was World 4 Kids. That was so much better than Toys R Us ever was.
Those were the days. World 4 Kids were a Coles-Myer offshoot from memory and briefly became the toy department branding for Kmart once the stand alone stores ceased.

Now Toys R Us are on their last legs - closing completely in the UK and all but closing int the US

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#330 Post by rev » Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:19 pm

Brucetiki wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:52 pm
duke wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:43 pm
Those were the days. World 4 Kids were a Coles-Myer offshoot from memory and briefly became the toy department branding for Kmart once the stand alone stores ceased.

Now Toys R Us are on their last legs - closing completely in the UK and all but closing int the US
Apparently it's because of "ferocious" online competition.
Why don't they just adopt an online model as well, and scale back their stores to reduce costs? :?:

On the subject of toy stores, is toy world in the myer center still operating?