Freeway to Port Adelaide

Ideas and concepts of what Adelaide can be.
Eurostar
Legendary Member!

Freeway to Port Adelaide

#1 Post by Eurostar » Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:47 am

Tunnel from the Tollgate under Glen Osmond Road, Fullarton Road, Dequetteville Terrace, Hackney Road, Robe Terrace, Park Terrace, veer right and surface on Port Road from there it could either be trench using the wide median strip for the corridor.

Taking in to account the current trench at Croydon it might be best to be a elevated road all the way to Port Adelaide. The freeway section ending just before Grand Junction Road. Travel time from Glen Osmond to Port Adelaide would be reduced significantly.

[Shuz]
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: Freeway to Port Adelaide

#2 Post by [Shuz] » Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:51 am

There's already a freeway to Port Adelaide. It's called the Port River Expressway.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#3 Post by rev » Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:29 pm

[Shuz] wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:51 am
There's already a freeway to Port Adelaide. It's called the Port River Expressway.
What, having trouble comprehending words again Shuz? Too many pills last night?

He's talking about an alternative route.

SBD

#4 Post by SBD » Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:16 am

Would a cut-and-cover tunnel down Cross Road to meet the North South Motorway be cheaper and shorter?

I'm not sure how much space would be needed at Glen Osmond for the descending left-hand bend in the extended freeway though. Straight into a tunnel under Glen Osmond Road would likely be far simpler from a design speed perspective.

Goodsy
Legendary Member!

#5 Post by Goodsy » Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:32 am

Or.. reroute all freight down South Road and onto a new freeway

Eurostar
Legendary Member!

#6 Post by Eurostar » Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:53 pm

The reason I chose the ring route (fullarton road etc) is because during construction it won't be hard because there is parklands that can be used during construction and less chance of shaking foundations of houses near the corridor unlike Cross Road corridor. I thought of elevated section between Eastwood and Port Adelaide.

I have also considered using Greenhill Road alignment for the freeway either underground or above ground then going above the railway corridor between Keswick and Mile End or all the way to Port Road via the parklands.
Attachments
IMG_20180204_170058.png
IMG_20180204_170058.png (856.33 KiB) Viewed 15489 times
IMG_20180204_165749.png
IMG_20180204_165749.png (876.71 KiB) Viewed 15489 times

[Shuz]

#7 Post by [Shuz] » Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:26 am

:sly: :toilet: :roll:
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

rev

#8 Post by rev » Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:25 am

[Shuz] wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:26 am
:sly: :toilet: :roll:
:toilet:

Nort

#9 Post by Nort » Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:02 pm

You've proposed a solution (a freeway to Port Adelaide) but not the problem it is intended to fix.

Llessur2002

#10 Post by Llessur2002 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:09 pm

The problem is clearly that we don't have enough elevated freeways alongside (or through) our parklands and residential suburbs. I personally can't imagine anything nicer to put on the postcards.

Goodsy
Legendary Member!

#11 Post by Goodsy » Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:57 pm

Yeah I've always liked the look of overbearing freeways, like Brutalist architecture.

Maybe one day our useless Parklands will resemble the beautiful freeways of Auckland

:roll:

flaneur
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#12 Post by flaneur » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:53 pm

Auckland in New Zealand is a car city and a transport nightmare in peak hours, I like the idea of a direct route from the Freeway to South Road which is being developed as a freight transit route. Don't be fooled by the spin of providing faster road networks for the motorist, they are really for the road transport industry to allow more access for B double and A triple freight trucks

rev

#13 Post by rev » Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:56 am

flaneur wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:53 pm
Auckland in New Zealand is a car city and a transport nightmare in peak hours, I like the idea of a direct route from the Freeway to South Road which is being developed as a freight transit route. Don't be fooled by the spin of providing faster road networks for the motorist, they are really for the road transport industry to allow more access for B double and A triple freight trucks
There's benefit for freight as well as the common motorist.
We have a freeway that ends at the bottom of the old toll, we have sections of a motorway complete or being completed with more sections yet to start(or be designed?),
Linking it all together, with other potential motorways/freeways, with the main freight terminal at outer harbor, would be logical.
Said B Doubles etc, would be taken off most main arterial roads.
Freight moving more efficiently, quicker, reduces costs. Costs/savings that get passed on to consumers.

SBD

#14 Post by SBD » Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:31 pm

rev wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:56 am
flaneur wrote:
We have a freeway that ends at the bottom of the old toll, we have sections of a motorway complete or being completed with more sections yet to start(or be designed?),
Linking it all together, with other potential motorways/freeways, with the main freight terminal at outer harbor, would be logical.
Freight moving more efficiently, quicker, reduces costs. Costs/savings that get passed on to consumers.
As much as I like the thought of tunnel freeways along either Cross Road or Portrush and Grand Junction Roads (or even the Glen Osmond and Greenhill option), I think that the descent from Measdays Hill to end in a tunnel is a recipe for future ongoing nightmares.

The more i try to imagine an acceptable (physics, sociology and cost) engineering solution, the more I come to recognise benefits in the east-of-the-hills bypass joining to the Sturt Highway/Northern Expressway/Northern Connector with shallower gradients.

rev

#15 Post by rev » Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:55 pm

SBD wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:31 pm
rev wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:56 am
flaneur wrote:
As much as I like the thought of tunnel freeways along either Cross Road or Portrush and Grand Junction Roads (or even the Glen Osmond and Greenhill option), I think that the descent from Measdays Hill to end in a tunnel is a recipe for future ongoing nightmares.

The more i try to imagine an acceptable (physics, sociology and cost) engineering solution, the more I come to recognise benefits in the east-of-the-hills bypass joining to the Sturt Highway/Northern Expressway/Northern Connector with shallower gradients.
"Lengthy" tunnels in the metro would be good, would definitely give Adelaide that "big city" feel. But whatever the outcome, something comprehensive needs to be done.