News & Developments: Port Adelaide

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
Llessur2002
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: News & Developments: Port Adelaide

#676 Post by Llessur2002 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:13 pm

Workers have begun moving into the highly anticipated new $40 million State Government building in Port Adelaide

WORKERS have begun moving into the new $40 million State Government building in Port Adelaide.

The highly anticipated development is now complete and the first of 500 public servants have started to move in.

Staffers from Service SA are the first workers to occupy the building, which is on the corner of Nile St and Robe St.

They will be followed by a “cross-section” of staff from the Primary Industries and Regions SA fisheries and aquaculture division, Service SA, Renewal SA, the Environment Department and the Department of Premier and Cabinet.

The building consists of three-storeys of office accommodation, two levels of car parking — accommodating 142 cars — and a ground floor retail space.

The development formed a key part of the former Labor Government’s Northern Economic Plan to increase the number of people living, working and visiting Port Adelaide.

Port Adelaide MP Susan Close said having more workers in the Port “will make a big difference to the local businesses, and that means more vibrancy in the Port for everyone”.

“I’m really pleased something I started lobbying for six years ago is now a reality,” Dr Close said.

The Government has committed to lease the building from developer epc. Pacific for the next 15 years.
From: https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/messenge ... 66af1ae672

ghs

#677 Post by ghs » Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:15 pm

I would call them public servants or government employees rather than workers. Public servants don't do much work, so the term 'workers' isn't approppriate.

I Follow PAFC
High Rise Poster!

#678 Post by I Follow PAFC » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:41 am

SUBSCRIBER ONLY :(
Details of $168m waterfront housing estate revealed
PORT ADELAIDE EXTENSIVE details of a huge $168 million waterfront housing estate in Port Adelaide have been revealed, featuring 750 new homes, dockside piazza and a rooftop observation deck, along with shops and green space.

https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/messenge ... 4bbf2d0cc9
I Follow The Port Adelaide Football Club
https://www.facebook.com/IFollowThePAFC/

Goodsy
Legendary Member!

#679 Post by Goodsy » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:51 am

I Follow PAFC wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:41 am
SUBSCRIBER ONLY :(
Details of $168m waterfront housing estate revealed
PORT ADELAIDE EXTENSIVE details of a huge $168 million waterfront housing estate in Port Adelaide have been revealed, featuring 750 new homes, dockside piazza and a rooftop observation deck, along with shops and green space.

https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/messenge ... 4bbf2d0cc9

EXTENSIVE new plans for Starfish Developments’ $168 million housing estate in Port Adelaide have been revealed.

The plans were discussed at a State Commission Assessment Panel (SCAP) hearing.

The developer has applied to build 334 townhouses and 411 apartments at Dock One and Port Approach on the waterfront. This requires dividing six “superlots” of 10ha of vacant land into 353 new residential allotments over the next six to 10 years.

The plan also features a dockside piazza, boardwalk and pavilions, along with green space including a central park with BBQ and picnic lawns, sporting facilities and an exercise area.

The old Marine and Harbors building has been incorporated into the plan as an apartment complex with a retail space on the ground floor. A rooftop observation deck and outdoor cinema is also planned.

Starfish is also proposing to construct roads, open space reserves, infrastructure, site works and retaining walls.

An artist’s impressions of the Port Adelaide waterfront development by Starfish Developments.

As part of the plan, the old Radio Shack building would be converted into a temporary display centre showcasing Starfish’s plans for the site.

Port Adelaide Enfield Council raised concerns about the application, including a “shortfall” of car parking at Dock One and the reserves being too small and not having enough detail about “how people will move through”.

Starfish Developments’ masterplan for Dock One in Port Adelaide. Picture: Supplied

It also flagged issues with pedestrian access not being “adequately addressed”.

The Environmental Protection Authority said it was satisfied that the air quality on site was “within an acceptable limit” despite the proximity to the Port River Expressway but that noise considerations had not been taken into account.

As a result, SCAP decided to defer a decision until it is “satisfied” these issues have been addressed.

Work is now underway on the Dock One housing development. Picture: AAP/Roy VanDerVegt

The homes at Dock One and Port Approach form part of the former Labor Government’s plan for 1300 homes as well as shops, cafes, hotels and a public promenade across 21ha on the surrounds of the Port River.

All together, it represents $280 million worth of private investment, as well as 350 construction jobs and 2000 ongoing jobs in Port Adelaide.

Starfish Developments managing director Damon Nagel said townhouses at Dock One would be the first homes to be built.

“The style of housing will reflect the heritage and industrial nature of the old port,” Mr Nagel said.

Nathan

#680 Post by Nathan » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:56 am

Utterly unambitious. Prime dock location, with a new train line almost to the door, and it'll just be a bunch of catalogue townhouses. Such a waste. :toilet:

claybro

#681 Post by claybro » Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:42 pm

Nathan wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:56 am
Utterly unambitious. Prime dock location, with a new train line almost to the door, and it'll just be a bunch of catalogue townhouses. Such a waste. :toilet:
Like everything I guess, the proof will be in the end product, materials used, street scaping, and activation at ground level facing the main streets. Provided there is decent public access, and some open plazas which there appears to be, then it is not too bad. Cant have the whole waterfront tuned into some kind of café strip-its too large. They cant even properly activate the area around the lighthouse, markets and old mill as it is.

Eurostar
Legendary Member!

#682 Post by Eurostar » Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:02 pm

Nathan wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:56 am
Foundation would have to be substanial to support any apartments weight

how good is he
Legendary Member!

#683 Post by how good is he » Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:45 pm

It will be interesting to see the prices, demand and how sales go. There was talk about doing a fish market (Doc2). Anyone know if any progress on this? This would help the area if done properly. I also heard the Colac hotel (opposite) will start by end of the year. Btw Nathan, what would you have liked to gave seen here instead (or name some developments that you think would suit here) to give us your ideas.

[Shuz]

#684 Post by [Shuz] » Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:57 pm

Isn't there already a fish markets there??
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

Nathan

#685 Post by Nathan » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:30 pm

how good is he wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:45 pm
It will be interesting to see the prices, demand and how sales go. There was talk about doing a fish market (Doc2). Anyone know if any progress on this? This would help the area if done properly. I also heard the Colac hotel (opposite) will start by end of the year. Btw Nathan, what would you have liked to gave seen here instead (or name some developments that you think would suit here) to give us your ideas.
It should be something with a similar density as Bowden, at least on the south side of dock. Port Adelaide shouldn't be just a suburb — it has a city centre with commercial streets much more extensive than any suburban centre. Now, much of that has become extremely run down, but to revive it needs people — lots of people. Townhouses are not going to achieve the critical mass needed.

The new train station opens up potential for the port centre to be a significant TOD, maybe even a satellite city. The commercial, retail/hospitality, and residential areas need to be compact around that station and along the waterfront, mixed in with the existing heritage buildings. The Woolstores should also be a medium-high density adaptive reuse district. (I see the area south of St Vincent St / west of Commercial Rd as maintaining the low-density "suburban" part of the Port).

The other issue with developments like this where a large area is handed over to a single developer is a lot of homogeneity. They'll be a handful of different designs (bets on them all being equally bland) that buyers will chose from, and then repeated all through the area. The Bowden model of selling different lots to different developers (with a review panel to guide) at least achieves some variety both in appearance, size and layout, and price points; and incentivises the different developments to compete.

SBD

#686 Post by SBD » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:27 pm

Nathan wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:30 pm
how good is he wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:45 pm
It should be something with a similar density as Bowden, at least on the south side of dock. Port Adelaide shouldn't be just a suburb — it has a city centre with commercial streets much more extensive than any suburban centre. Now, much of that has become extremely run down, but to revive it needs people — lots of people. Townhouses are not going to achieve the critical mass needed.

The new train station opens up potential for the port centre to be a significant TOD, maybe even a satellite city. The commercial, retail/hospitality, and residential areas need to be compact around that station and along the waterfront, mixed in with the existing heritage buildings. The Woolstores should also be a medium-high density adaptive reuse district. (I see the area south of St Vincent St / west of Commercial Rd as maintaining the low-density "suburban" part of the Port).

The other issue with developments like this where a large area is handed over to a single developer is a lot of homogeneity. They'll be a handful of different designs (bets on them all being equally bland) that buyers will chose from, and then repeated all through the area. The Bowden model of selling different lots to different developers (with a review panel to guide) at least achieves some variety both in appearance, size and layout, and price points; and incentivises the different developments to compete.
To be a "satellite city", it has to have its own employment, not be a dormitory for workers travelling to the "main city". The new Port Dock railway station is intended to be connected to carry people to work in Adelaide. To make Port Adelaide a satellite city, it needs the railway spur to connect the other way, and carry employees out to Osborne (which might mean it should be standard gauge) or perhaps to Dry Creek/Mawson Lakes/Edinburgh (Parks/RAAF/North) where the regional employment is for people who choose to live at Port Adelaide.

I wonder if there would be demand for a standard-gauge commuter rail that ran between Pelican Point-Osborne-Port Adelaide-Dry Creek-Mawson Lakes-Salisbury-Edinburgh Parks-Bolivar (SCT at Penfield). That looks like a collection of employment and residential, but I suspect far enough that shuttle buses would be needed at almost every station, and the ARTC would not want slow frequent-stop commuter railcars on its freight lines.

Nathan

#687 Post by Nathan » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:46 pm

SBD wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:27 pm
To be a "satellite city", it has to have its own employment, not be a dormitory for workers travelling to the "main city".
Yes, I agree. Commercial development should absolutely be part of the mix of Port Adelaide.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#688 Post by rev » Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:16 am

What an absolute let down. I think I said it when it was proposed first.
It's basically turning the Port into another average suburb.

Take a look at the Port River, compare it to the River Torrens.
All the attention an insignificant "lake" like the Torrens is getting in the CBD(and being botched as usual in typical SA missed opportunity fashion), and they are treating the much more significant Port River area as another suburb.

Yet again Adelaide, another massively missed opportunity.

I Follow PAFC
High Rise Poster!

#689 Post by I Follow PAFC » Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:59 pm

Say goodbye to the old Port Canal as work begins on $45m upgrade.
WORK is now underway on the highly anticipated $45 million redevelopment of the Port Canal Shopping Centre.

Preparations are being made to pour the concrete slab for the new, expanded centre, which will be renamed Port Adelaide Plaza once it is complete.

Its footprint will grow by a third and the number of shops will more than double, from 28 to 60.

The upgrade – which will see the main building demolished and rebuilt to connect with the existing Coles and Kmart building – will create 120 jobs during construction and a further 160 full-time retail jobs.

It will include about 60 specialty retailers including a new Aldi, cafes, commercial premises, a childcare centre and restaurants as well as more than 1000 car parks.

The Commercial Rd centre, which is owned by the Precision Group, will expand from 19,0000 sq m to 29,394 sq m.

https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/messenge ... f3c73c415a
I Follow The Port Adelaide Football Club
https://www.facebook.com/IFollowThePAFC/

how good is he
Legendary Member!

#690 Post by how good is he » Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:58 pm

I agree with the comments from Rev, Nathan & SBD. I am somewhat sceptical though regardless of what they build on how much demand there is. I know WEST has apartments from $330k, Bowden from say $400k, the city say $450k ...How much cheaper to you think a similar apartment here would need to be (to sell)? I also know Cedar Woods (doing Glenside now) are doing the other big waterfront development in Pt adelaide..interesting to see if they will be competing against each other or when they go to market...or if there is enough demand (and at what price) here for all this residential?