2018 South Australian State Election

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.

Who will receive your first preference vote in the 2018 State Election?

Poll ended at Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:28 am

Labor
73%
Liberal
10%
SA Best
4%
Greens
2%
Nationals
No votes
Conservatives
4%
Dignity
4%
One Nation
No votes
Independent
No votes
Other
2%

Total votes: 49

Waewick
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: 2018 South Australian State Election

#196 Post by Waewick » Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:39 pm

rubberman wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:04 pm
rev wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:32 am
There’s a lot more job opportunities and economic prosperity in those states then in SA.
People leave for those reasons. Those states might not be beacons of economic prosperity and rainbows, but they are doing a hell of a lot better then us.
Well, if we had another 300,000 migrants, there's a lot of jobs building houses and roads out near Two Wells.

Of course we'd be better off by having massive price rises for houses and traffic jams just like Sydney.

However, just to get it back on topic, which is the election. It was the Liberals under Tony Abbott who shut down the car industry. Can you recall the State Liberals opposing that at the time?

So, even allowing for the fake economies underpinned by unsustainable immigration and housing prices, the Liberals have to take a big slice of responsibility for shutting down the car industry.
The car industry in Australia was always shutting down if GM continued to deny Holden the ability to build cars that people in Australia and asia wanted rather than simply being a supply chain.

In any event, SA Libs are not to blame for a federal position.

You pick out the negatives of population growth, but the benefits can be significant, especially if you can get it across the board rather than city centric.

If we have a Government interested in population growth and regional development there is huge growth in regional areas, I realise Rev strenuously denies this, but there are 100;s of jobs out there that South Australians just won't do (wether it be reasons for pay, conditions, to far from home, whatever really).

SA is languishing, there is no measure that suggests otherwise.

It just makes me laugh that the state government in control over the last 16 years apparently has no blame in that.

Jaymz
Legendary Member!

#197 Post by Jaymz » Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:03 pm

Llessur2002 wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:52 am
Waewick wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:38 am
proof always in the pudding.
*the proof of the pudding is in the eating

Sorry - massive bugbear of mine ;)
What is the purpose of this? We all knew what he meant.

Better make sure your spelling and grammar is beyond perfect from here on in 🤔

Waewick

#198 Post by Waewick » Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:10 pm

Llessur2002 wrote:
Waewick wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:38 am
proof always in the pudding.
*the proof of the pudding is in the eating

Sorry - massive bugbear of mine ;)
Thats cool i like hearing those.

A bit like when people use the exception that proves the rule in the wrong way.

rubberman

#199 Post by rubberman » Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:12 pm

Waewick wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:39 pm
rubberman wrote:
rev wrote:
There’s a lot more job opportunities and economic prosperity in those states then in SA.
People leave for those reasons. Those states might not be beacons of economic prosperity and rainbows, but they are doing a hell of a lot better then us.
Well, if we had another 300,000 migrants, there's a lot of jobs building houses and roads out near Two Wells.

Of course we'd be better off by having massive price rises for houses and traffic jams just like Sydney.

However, just to get it back on topic, which is the election. It was the Liberals under Tony Abbott who shut down the car industry. Can you recall the State Liberals opposing that at the time?

So, even allowing for the fake economies underpinned by unsustainable immigration and housing prices, the Liberals have to take a big slice of responsibility for shutting down the car industry.
The car industry in Australia was always shutting down if GM continued to deny Holden the ability to build cars that people in Australia and asia wanted rather than simply being a supply chain.

In any event, SA Libs are not to blame for a federal position.

You pick out the negatives of population growth, but the benefits can be significant, especially if you can get it across the board rather than city centric.

If we have a Government interested in population growth and regional development there is huge growth in regional areas, I realise Rev strenuously denies this, but there are 100;s of jobs out there that South Australians just won't do (wether it be reasons for pay, conditions, to far from home, whatever really).

SA is languishing, there is no measure that suggests otherwise.

It just makes me laugh that the state government in control over the last 16 years apparently has no blame in that.
I think if you look at the posts I have made elsewhere, I have made it clear that the ALP has set a fairly low bar as far as performance is concerned. However, in the election, the critical question is whether or not another party can do better.

So, the question as to whether Mr Marshall tried to save the auto industry is highly relevant. They can't claim to be acting in SA's best interests if whenever the Federal Liberals do something wrong, they just look the other way.

Next, the questions I was addressing in my response to the article was not whether SA is in decline in terms of the measures the writer suggested. I was saying that the writer was being quite misleading in their economic and social analysis. For example, there's any number of economic studies out there showing that GDP per capita in Sydney and Melbourne is not increasing at all. Yet house prices are through the roof, and commute times and conditions are horrendous. Apparently things are great over there. Well, NSW has a Liberal Government, so I am sure that Coalition supporters will think it is nirvana.

I guess if we want crowded buses, slower trains, high house prices putting homes out of the reach of kids and packed schools, we know how to vote, right?

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#200 Post by rev » Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:15 pm

rubberman wrote:
rev wrote:

I was opposed to the car industry shutting, if you recall.
I’m also against increasing the overseas migration rate to Australia in general let alone South Australia. For a variety of reasons..but...

People need jobs to migrate to.
After WW2, south east European migration that occurred to Australia, did so because there was industry that needed workers, and Australia didn’t have the population.

What exactly are we bringing people over to today? Toilet cleaners and taxi drivers?

And as Waewick says I apparently deny that there’s jobs Aussies won’t do. What I deny is the generalisation about locals on that.
There’s people who are lazy and won’t work even if you arranged for them to be showered dressed and fed and then taken to and from work every day.
Then there’s the hundreds of thousands who are underemployed or unemployed, who if they were able to get a foot in the door, would jump at the opportunity.

There’s plenty of employers who keep advertising the same job over and over for months on end. Considering how many people we have unemployed or underemployed do you think they haven’t found someone suitable? Or is it a case of they are being picky?

Then there is the factor that foreigners will get an employer a wage subsidy. An employer won’t get a subsidy for a locals wages. Our own government is making us unemployable.

Why are they filling the nursing ranks with foreigners?

They aren’t doing ANYTHING to create jobs for the masses that need jobs, it’s all smoke and mirrors and bullshit. Instead they are bringing in foriengers who are alien to our western way of life. They are then subsidising their wages, which we pay for.

As for Holden, getting back to the local stuff, GM was closing it regardless of who was in power. Part of their global strategy. Same with Toyota. Apparently it’s cheaper to make cars overseas but we are still being slugged the same if not more for the imports. Toyota’s Camry for example is around 5k more for the base model and the top end model around 10k more then the locally produced car.

Given the significance to the states economy and the socioeconomic fabric of the northern suburbs and knock on effect to the rest of the city, the state government should have compulsorily acquired the site. There was an Australian hybrid vehicle developer that wanted to move in. Those thousands of jobs could have been transferred over. At least some of them anyway.

The whole space industry thing. That’s great, if it happens.
But that doesn’t address the issue of the majority who are unemployed or underemployed, because they don’t have the qualifications for those types of jobs. All this high tech advanced manufacturing stuff is good, but whose qualified?

They spent all that money on the mining training Center at Regency TAFE, but does anyone know how hard it is to actually get a job in mining? It’s not what you know but also who you know. So tax payers money spent to benefit who? Those with connections in the industry? Again a big nothing for the majority of those who need jobs in this state.

Nothing real for the majority of people who need jobs or full time employment is being done. Smoke mirrors bullshit and staged press conferences.

The alternative choices for government aren’t offering anything either. So who ever wins this months election, at the next election we will be talking about the same things.

Waewick

#201 Post by Waewick » Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:39 pm

So there is an indaily article about the Libs fairly tame tram network. (To be honest i am shocked they spoke about trams to be honest).

https://indaily.com.au/news/politics/20 ... m-network/

2 things that jumped out at me.

1. More promotion of the bus network. How does that work, i admit recently ive been using the bus network more at its great. If you plan it. Are the Libs going to advertise how to plan a trip? If they are going to tall a out increasing PT use id like a target.

2. It talks about an underground tunnel to Vic square that links up train lines that the Libs want to investigate.

The policy document also says a Liberal Government would place “a renewed focus on the potential for” an underground railway link into Victoria Square.
Ive literally never heard of this before in my life.

rev

#202 Post by rev » Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:20 am

Yes they’ll investigate. In other words they are setting it up so they aren’t breaking any promises when they don’t builtthise things.

The fact they are now pulling out these “we will investigate this and that” policies on the fly, says to me the government has large public/voter support for its PT infrastructure policies, therefore the Libs are making up quick policies to investigate, but don’t plan on actually following through and building anything.

rev

#203 Post by rev » Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:10 am

So a rather minor issue, all things considered, but the dump at Wingfield was on fire last night...again..
Toxic fumes for the north western suburbs again. Starting to become a fact of life?

This isn't on any parties election platform, at least I don't think it is, it might perhaps be one for the minor parties?..but how about moving the bloody rubbish tip and recycling centers to you know...out of the metro area?

bits
Legendary Member!

#204 Post by bits » Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:36 am

I thought Wingfield was for sorting and only landfill of safe material these days.
Risky stuff goes to the landfills on either side of the road towards Port Wakefield.

Fires are a fact of life for landfill sites forever.

SBD

#205 Post by SBD » Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:51 am

There's a small landfill gas-powered power station at Wingfield. I wonder if the process of collecting and preparing the gas has increased the chance of something catching fire....?

rubberman

#206 Post by rubberman » Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:49 am

rev wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:15 pm
rubberman wrote:
rev wrote:

I’m also against increasing the overseas migration rate to Australia in general let alone South Australia. For a variety of reasons..but...

After WW2, south east European migration that occurred to Australia, did so because there was industry that needed workers, and Australia didn’t have the population.

What exactly are we bringing people over to today? Toilet cleaners and taxi drivers?

And as Waewick says I apparently deny that there’s jobs Aussies won’t do. What I deny is the generalisation about locals on that.
There’s people who are lazy and won’t work even if you arranged for them to be showered dressed and fed and then taken to and from work every day.
Then there’s the hundreds of thousands who are underemployed or unemployed, who if they were able to get a foot in the door, would jump at the opportunity.

There’s plenty of employers who keep advertising the same job over and over for months on end. Considering how many people we have unemployed or underemployed do you think they haven’t found someone suitable? Or is it a case of they are being picky?

Then there is the factor that foreigners will get an employer a wage subsidy. An employer won’t get a subsidy for a locals wages. Our own government is making us unemployable.

They aren’t doing ANYTHING to create jobs for the masses that need jobs, it’s all smoke and mirrors and bullshit. Instead they are bringing in foriengers who are alien to our western way of life. They are then subsidising their wages, which we pay for.

As for Holden, getting back to the local stuff, GM was closing it regardless of who was in power. Part of their global strategy. Same with Toyota. Apparently it’s cheaper to make cars overseas but we are still being slugged the same if not more for the imports. Toyota’s Camry for example is around 5k more for the base model and the top end model around 10k more then the locally produced car.

Given the significance to the states economy and the socioeconomic fabric of the northern suburbs and knock on effect to the rest of the city, the state government should have compulsorily acquired the site. There was an Australian hybrid vehicle developer that wanted to move in. Those thousands of jobs could have been transferred over. At least some of them anyway.

But that doesn’t address the issue of the majority who are unemployed or underemployed, because they don’t have the qualifications for those types of jobs. All this high tech advanced manufacturing stuff is good, but whose qualified?

They spent all that money on the mining training Center at Regency TAFE, but does anyone know how hard it is to actually get a job in mining? It’s not what you know but also who you know. So tax payers money spent to benefit who? Those with connections in the industry? Again a big nothing for the majority of those who need jobs in this state.

Nothing real for the majority of people who need jobs or full time employment is being done. Smoke mirrors bullshit and staged press conferences.

The alternative choices for government aren’t offering anything either. So who ever wins this months election, at the next election we will be talking about the same things.
That's my point in a nutshell. That the supposed growth interstate that apparently makes SA into a backwater is based on high immigration, with all the problems you have outlined. So, if you take out the immigration at these high levels, you eliminate those problems you describe, but also, suddenly the GDP figures for those other states fall right back down, and SA looks much better.

For that article to have been honest, it should have addressed the issues you raised and adjusted the GDP figures to show the real picture.

ml69
Legendary Member!

#207 Post by ml69 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:48 am

Jaymz wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:21 pm
........ oh, and just a side note on S.A's population growth concerns. Our population currently sits at 1.7 million. I have no doubt in my mind that our population would've passed 2 million by now if it hadn't been for the State Bank collapse. It had a devastating effect and we're still suffering because of it now.
I think you're partly right, but I think if we had been on the front foot and started diversified our economy two decades ago in the 1990's we could have been at 2 million now, representing 8% of the national population and economy as we once did a generation ago.

Waewick

#208 Post by Waewick » Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:50 pm

rubberman wrote:
rev wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:15 pm
rubberman wrote:

That's my point in a nutshell. That the supposed growth interstate that apparently makes SA into a backwater is based on high immigration, with all the problems you have outlined. So, if you take out the immigration at these high levels, you eliminate those problems you describe, but also, suddenly the GDP figures for those other states fall right back down, and SA looks much better.

For that article to have been honest, it should have addressed the issues you raised and adjusted the GDP figures to show the real picture.
But the immigration happened, taking it out trys to remove the reality.

How many South Australians have left the state in the last 20 years? Why is that?

Unfortunately we are an economic backwater.

Waewick

#209 Post by Waewick » Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:03 pm

Here comes the dodgy tactics. A Labor MP putting out Blue plaques with no ALP badge on it.

Seriously this government has no shame.Image

rev

#210 Post by rev » Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:47 pm

Waewick wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:03 pm
Here comes the dodgy tactics. A Labor MP putting out Blue plaques with no ALP badge on it.

Seriously this government has no shame.Image
You're capable of reading? The average literacy rate in Australia is apparently 99%...
Regardless of colours, people should be able to read Leon Bignell on that poster, and determine that it is a Labor election poster.
If they cant, then perhaps they shouldn't vote.