News & Developments: Prospect

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

Re: Prospect | Churchill | Main North Road - Development & News

#76 Post by crawf » Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:13 pm

Prospect shopping centre to be demolished and replaced, with larger Foodland supermarket
Dan Jervis-Bardy, The City
February 1, 2018 5:40pm

A RUNDOWN Prospect shopping mall will be razed and replaced with a two-storey supermarket, retail and carpark complex.

Longtime landowner George Velentzas has been granted approval to demolish the Foodland supermarket and eight shops at 85 Prospect Rd.

In its place will be a new 1380sq m Foodland, shops and 84 carpark spaces, costing $5.5-$6 million.

Mr Velentzas said the upgrade, which would more than double the size of the ageing Foodland store, was recognition that a “little supermarket and shopping mall” was no longer a viable retail model.

“Basically, in a nutshell, the Foodland is too small and the tenant has been there for a long time and it’s time for us to look after them,” Mr Velentzas told The City.

“It just was not viable.”

Mr Velentzas expected a 12-month construction period to start in early 2019, after Prospect Council’s planning authority approved the proposal at last month’s meeting.

Terry White Chemist had committed to lease a space in the new building., although the other shops will be forced out.

Mr Velentzas said he was leaving the option open to expand the complex to four storeys, including apartments or offices, to meet any future demand.

“We have been here since 1983 and there is a real buzz around the place,” he said.

“The general vibe that I am getting is that Prospect Rd is like Norwood Parade was 15-20 years ago.”

Prospect Mayor David O’Loughlin said the project would be a real “shot in the arm for the community”.

“It is a strong vote of confidence in what we are doing on Prospect Rd,” Mr O’Loughlin said.

“A big part of the next phase of the Village Heart is to have more people there during the day.”

ynotsfables
High Rise Poster!

#77 Post by ynotsfables » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:17 pm

I remember when that was Tom the cheap supermarket two buildings ago and a cinema before that back in the early seventies and late sixties, when one day in 1972 it started to collapse due to poor structure, so they knocked it down and built what is there now,what an amazing transformation this will become.

Pistol
Legendary Member!

#78 Post by Pistol » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:23 pm

Pistol wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:07 pm
Plans are in and approved by Prospect council to knock down the little arcade that Foodland sits in on Prospect and rebuild with multi-story car parking and new shops to the street front.
Finally...
Reminds me of the little arcade on The Parade that Foodland used to sit in.
Good on ya Tiser.
Once again, get your news from sensational-adelaide.com
Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken

Llessur2002
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#79 Post by Llessur2002 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:39 pm

From: https://www.realestate.com.au/news/more ... aa:article
More than 120 new homes are set to be built in Prospect

A 5.4ha vacant site on the corner of Churchill and Regency Rds, in Prospect is about to become Adelaide’s latest trendy townhouse development.

Launched last month, works will begin on the first of more than 120 townhouses and apartments planned for the former Islington Railway site in July.

Project spokesman Nidal Rasheed of Silvertail Property Group says it will also include parks, reserves, a history wall and a plant-laiden green wall to provide “that natural feel”.

Named Prospect 1838 in homage to the year Prospect was founded, the development will feature slick modern styling and is being marketed as an affordable entry point to inner suburban living.

Buyers will be able to choose from a range of three-storey Torrens Titled townhouses with three or four bedrooms, three bathrooms and two garages.

Mr Nidal says the cheapest homes within Prospect 1838 have a fixed turnkey prices of $485,000, making them highly competitive with other nearby developments including Bowden and Lightsview.

“For first home buyers, it’s finally a chance to secure an affordable home inside the 5km radius of the city centre,” Mr Nidal says.

“There’s probably about 12 of the (first 60 homes) for $485,000.

“They jump to about $560,000 to $565,000 — for that you get a four-bedroom property with a media room.”

According to CoreLogic, Prospect’s median house price is $700,500 and its median unit price is $430,000.

“We’re signing up a lot of first homebuyers and young professionals but first homebuyers are making up the majority of our inquiries,” Mr Nidal says.

He adds there has also been interest from investors and empty nesters.

The development will be built in two stages, the first of which will involve construction of 60 townhouses.

Prospect Mayor David O’ Loughlan says Prospect 1828 is “perhaps the last cog in the wheel for the rejuvenation of Prospect”.

He says it is the “last large-scale opportunity” to invest in the council area.

“For us, a healthy community is a range of people, a range of family sizes, a range of price points, so we’ve very excited about this project launching,” Mr O’Loughlan says.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#80 Post by Ben » Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:43 pm

Am i the only one that hates three story townhouses? I house sat for my old boss in Halifax Street once in his for a week and I felt like all I was doing was going up and down bloody stairs.

Eurostar
Legendary Member!

#81 Post by Eurostar » Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:07 am

The former Dicksmith at Northpark is still empty

A-Town
High Rise Poster!

#82 Post by A-Town » Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:50 pm

Are we likely to see a redeveloped Islington Railway Station with improved access once this development is up and running? Would be a good idea to make it appealing to the influx of new residents moving in to the area.

Fnomna
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#83 Post by Fnomna » Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:03 pm

Regency Plaza Shopping Centre, where the Woolworths used to be - what's going in there?
Cnr Main North Rd and Regency Rd.
Work being done now.

ChillyPhilly

#84 Post by ChillyPhilly » Fri Mar 30, 2018 4:43 pm

A-Town wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:50 pm
Are we likely to see a redeveloped Islington Railway Station with improved access once this development is up and running? Would be a good idea to make it appealing to the influx of new residents moving in to the area.
I really, really hope so. That area is in serious need of work. Currently what is planned is below. I'm fearful that the development will virtually ignore the station though.

Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

Eurostar
Legendary Member!

#85 Post by Eurostar » Fri Mar 30, 2018 6:59 pm

Churchill Road buses are frequent and gets passengers to the city (Currie Street/Grenfell Street), also gets people to Adelaide Aquatic Centre and Arndale

Pistol
Legendary Member!

#86 Post by Pistol » Sun Apr 01, 2018 3:06 pm

They could do a fairly simple upgrade to the station if they reused the canopy from Oaklands.
That would suffice for the time being - read anything is better than what is there now...
Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken

how good is he
Legendary Member!

#87 Post by how good is he » Wed May 16, 2018 1:15 pm

So this would be where indicated on the corner of the above plan adj. the 1838 development. It would provide some strong competition to Costco only 1km away.
From The Advertiser
German supermarket giant Kaufland planning $23.6 million Prospect store

GERMAN supermarket chain Kaufland is eyeing Prospect for the next stage of its South Australian expansion.

Kaufland Australia is planning a $23.6 million “single-storey retail development” at the southwestern corner of the Churchill Rd/Regency Rd intersection.

Three “supporting tenancies” would also be included in the complex, according to plans presented to the state Coordinator General.

The supermarket would be built on part of a now vacant 5.4ha block of land at the former Islington Railway yard, which will be redeveloped with 120 townhouses in the coming years.

Kaufland has already lodged an application with the State Commission Assessment Panel for what would be its first Australian store — a two-storey, $34.6 million supermarket at the former Le Cornu furniture warehouse in Forestville.

Plans for a $23.8 million store in Munno Parra have also been presented to the Coordinator General.

A Kaufland spokesman declined to comment on its push into Prospect, saying the company was “not in a position to … make any detailed statements about our projects in South Australia”.

Prospect Mayor David O’Loughlin welcomed news of a development at the site, which he described as a “blighted corner” of the Churchill Rd/Regency Rd intersection.

“We rezoned this for commercial and business, so a supermarket and shops is a good use for this high-profile corner,” Mr O’Loughlin said.

“I think the extra (retail) competition will be good, but what I am most excited about is there will be something done to that corner … which has been empty in all my living memory.”

Kaufland opened its first store in Germany in 1984 and now has more than 1230 outlets and 150,000 employees around the world.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#88 Post by rev » Fri May 18, 2018 12:49 pm

Nice. So in that area of the North Western suburbs, we have two Aldis, a Costco, and now Kaufland is moving in.
Kmart as well, the Bunnings and other smaller retailers.

Oh what could have been for Arndale. If only the centers management hadn't dropped the ball and weren't incompetent.

how good is he
Legendary Member!

#89 Post by how good is he » Fri May 18, 2018 3:08 pm

To be honest I cant see how Arndale could have had the space for most of their retailers anyway. The footprint of things like Costco, Bunnings etc are like 40,000 sqm [half car park]. Plus the land price would have been higher at Arndale than the Islington railyards etc making feasibility another factor.

ChillyPhilly

#90 Post by ChillyPhilly » Wed May 23, 2018 7:30 am

Not the right spot for Kaufland.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.