2018 South Australian State Election

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.

Who will receive your first preference vote in the 2018 State Election?

Poll ended at Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:28 am

Labor
73%
Liberal
10%
SA Best
4%
Greens
2%
Nationals
No votes
Conservatives
4%
Dignity
4%
One Nation
No votes
Independent
No votes
Other
2%

Total votes: 49

citywatcher
Legendary Member!

Re: 2018 South Australian State Election

#286 Post by citywatcher » Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:57 pm

He's had four years and an election campaign
I think he's nailed his colours up pretty clearly
Just remember how many major projects he was against and we wouldn't have if he had been premier .

Sent from my SM-J730G using Tapatalk

SBD
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#287 Post by SBD » Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:09 am

The poll at the top of this page shows that nearly three quarters of the people on this forum supported a continuing Labor government. Clearly we are out of step with the general populace, less than half of which has voted for Labor.

Let's work to keep Adelaide (and all of South Australia) sensational, instead of instantly promoting doom and gloom because the party or candidate we voted for didn't get as much support from our friends and peers.

None of the parties promoted a clear vision for the state to 2040 or beyond. They all talked about the next four years at most. ALP has done some good stuff in the last four and 16 years, but how much of it is what they promised to do at those elections? How much of the headline things they promised then have actually come to pass and been an improvement? "We" have voted to give Steven Marshall and the Liberal Party (but not SA-BEST!) a chance to demonstrate that it can do a better job of governing us than the ALP did. In four years, we get to vote a judgment on their performance over four years. Undoubtedly, there will be some things we like and somethings we don't in that time. Let's keep the Sensational in SA rather than focus on the problems we might think are caused because other people didn't vote like we think they should have.

citywatcher
Legendary Member!

#288 Post by citywatcher » Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:24 am

What a wishy washy naive sentiment
Come on kids there's no me in team

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#289 Post by crawf » Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:57 am

Norman wrote:
Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:46 pm
Guys, let's give him a chance. Now HE will be under scrutiny. If he does well, let's celebrate that. If he doesn't, then we can scrutinise his performance.

Labor got their dues for their mistakes. They need to regroup, address their mistakes and do better next time.

If we want Adelaide to change, we need to fight for it. Lobby, send emails, letters, show that you care about the city and the state. Participate in the democratic process.

We are not in a dictatorship, we can express or views and opinions through the media if we do it right. We just need to be organised, plan well and be fearless.
100% agreed.

Over the years I've been very critical towards Marshall, and still have doubts he will be a better leader than Weatherill. Though SA has voted for Steven Marshall to become the State Premier, therefore we should respect the vote and give the guy a go. He definitely has big shoes to fill, Adelaide in particular has undergone a major renaissance in recent years which has largely been driven by Weatherill/Rann. Though one Liberal policy that will continue Adelaide's ongoing renaissance is the long overdue deregulation of trading hours, which is one of the last remaining embarrassments that has long stained Adelaide's reputation. Taking that aside, Labor had the better policies.

The biggest shock of the night is SA Best?!.... *crickets*

Waewick

#290 Post by Waewick » Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:55 am

I think people are being incredibly harsh on the Libs.

They aren't the Libs from 20 years ago.

Has anyone bothered to look at some of the candidates?

They have some impressive young and soon to be MPs who would all have been heavily invested in the polcies.

They arent going to all of a sudden turn into these old anti everything cronies you are expecting.

[Shuz]

#291 Post by [Shuz] » Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:22 am

Waewick wrote:
Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:55 am
I think people are being incredibly harsh on the Libs.

They aren't the Libs from 20 years ago.

Has anyone bothered to look at some of the candidates?

They have some impressive young and soon to be MPs who would all have been heavily invested in the polcies.

They arent going to all of a sudden turn into these old anti everything cronies you are expecting.
Matt Cowdrey is the only one I can think of off the top of my head who is 'young and fresh'. Even Marshall looks tired now.

We will see how this plays out.

I wouldn't be surprised though if Vicki Chapman does an about face halfway through the term and challenges Marshall for the Premiership, particularly if he polls poorly. She won't be satisfied being Deputy and will go for the jugular when it's politically convenient for her. Personal ego and factional rivalries still run deep in the Liberal Party.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

ghs

#292 Post by ghs » Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:05 am

crawf wrote:
Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:57 am
Norman wrote:
Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:46 pm
Guys, let's give him a chance. Now HE will be under scrutiny. If he does well, let's celebrate that. If he doesn't, then we can scrutinise his performance.

Labor got their dues for their mistakes. They need to regroup, address their mistakes and do better next time.

If we want Adelaide to change, we need to fight for it. Lobby, send emails, letters, show that you care about the city and the state. Participate in the democratic process.

We are not in a dictatorship, we can express or views and opinions through the media if we do it right. We just need to be organised, plan well and be fearless.
100% agreed.

Over the years I've been very critical towards Marshall, and still have doubts he will be a better leader than Weatherill. Though SA has voted for Steven Marshall to become the State Premier, therefore we should respect the vote and give the guy a go. He definitely has big shoes to fill, Adelaide in particular has undergone a major renaissance in recent years which has largely been driven by Weatherill/Rann. Though one Liberal policy that will continue Adelaide's ongoing renaissance is the long overdue deregulation of trading hours, which is one of the last remaining embarrassments that has long stained Adelaide's reputation. Taking that aside, Labor had the better policies.

The biggest shock of the night is SA Best?!.... *crickets*
I agree 100% about the shopping hours and this is one of the reasons why I decided to vote liberal. Just wondering how long will it take for the
new shopping hours to come in ?

Nort

#293 Post by Nort » Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:24 am

Hoping Marshall can prove my doubts about him wrong.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#294 Post by crawf » Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:41 am

ABC News - Jay Weatherill will resign as the SA Labor Leader.
ghs wrote:
Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:05 am

I agree 100% about the shopping hours and this is one of the reasons why I decided to vote liberal. Just wondering how long will it take for the
new shopping hours to come in ?
Within the next 100 days.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#295 Post by Norman » Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:50 am

Potentially the best news out of the election could be Rachel Sanderson losing the seat of Adelaide. If it happens it will be such a positive for the future of the city. I have seen her in person at an East End meeting, and she does nothing but complain and use her friends to derail meetings held by Renewal SA.

citywatcher
Legendary Member!

#296 Post by citywatcher » Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:15 pm

Norman wrote:Potentially the best news out of the election could be Rachel Sanderson losing the seat of Adelaide. If it happens it will be such a positive for the future of the city. I have seen her in person at an East End meeting, and she does nothing but complain and use her friends to derail meetings held by Renewal SA.
Agree
As for shopping hours most shops are empty as it is now. This will just mean they will be empty longer. It will put more money in the hands of the big operators at the expense of the small business they purport to champion. I have been in retail 27 years . It's a furphy.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#297 Post by SRW » Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:28 pm

I'll add another silver lining is the Conservatives/Family First losing their second LC seat. BYE!
Keep Adelaide Weird

citywatcher
Legendary Member!

#298 Post by citywatcher » Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:53 pm

If only they could have found an African refugee lawyer and gotten twenty more votes..........

ghs

#299 Post by ghs » Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:59 pm

citywatcher wrote:
Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:15 pm
Norman wrote:Potentially the best news out of the election could be Rachel Sanderson losing the seat of Adelaide. If it happens it will be such a positive for the future of the city. I have seen her in person at an East End meeting, and she does nothing but complain and use her friends to derail meetings held by Renewal SA.
Agree
As for shopping hours most shops are empty as it is now. This will just mean they will be empty longer. It will put more money in the hands of the big operators at the expense of the small business they purport to champion. I have been in retail 27 years . It's a furphy.

Deregulation of trading hours isn't good for the convenience stores in the city who are probably already struggling but still this is a minority group.
For the majority of people the convenience of shopping on a Saturday or sunday night is a good thing. As crawf has pointed out we're not living
in the 1980's anymore.

citywatcher
Legendary Member!

#300 Post by citywatcher » Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:01 pm

ghs wrote:
citywatcher wrote:
Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:15 pm
Agree

Deregulation of trading hours isn't good for the convenience stores in the city who are probably already struggling but still this is a minority group.
For the majority of people the convenience of shopping on a Saturday or sunday night is a good thing. As crawf has pointed out we're not living
in the 1980's anymore.
They can do that already
No little shop will open only the big stores as I have already stated