2018 South Australian State Election

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.

Who will receive your first preference vote in the 2018 State Election?

Poll ended at Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:28 am

Labor
73%
Liberal
10%
SA Best
4%
Greens
2%
Nationals
No votes
Conservatives
4%
Dignity
4%
One Nation
No votes
Independent
No votes
Other
2%

Total votes: 49

Jaymz
Legendary Member!

Re: 2018 South Australian State Election

#331 Post by Jaymz » Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:15 pm

citywatcher wrote:
Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:06 pm
Jaymz wrote:Talk up the SA Labor party all you want. But the only reasons they weren't destroyed at the past 2 elections are...

1: Too many ppl in S.A rely on the Govt. for their livelihood i.e public sector, Govt. assisted industry and outright welfare.

2: The population didn't properly understand how the preference system worked

I for one am happy to see the end of Jay's ultra-left-wing agenda.
Ultra left wing?
Give it a rest moron

Sent from my SM-J730G using Tapatalk
.....and on that note, I rest my case.

Waewick
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#332 Post by Waewick » Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:31 pm

[Shuz] wrote:I'm a little confused. ABC are saying two seats are still in doubt, and having looked through the electorates, it would seem there are three (Adelaide, Mawson and Newland). Of which Labor is currently leading two and Liberal are ahead in Newland. Counting is about 2/3s done for the majority of seats.

All the others are pretty much called for. Will be interesting to see which way the postal votes will go.

It's looking likely though that Labor will end up with 20, Liberal 24, and 3 Independents.

It'll be interesting to see if the Liberals can go the whole four years as a united team and ensure that they are in lockstep with one another, because all it takes is one person to defect and they lose their majority.

We're seeing the exact same scenario playing out Federally because any one of them could do the same thing. Which is why we continue to see the likes of Abbott and Christensen, etc. constantly kicking up a fuss without any penalty or scolding from the party. Turnbull can't afford to lose his majorty and neither can Marshall.

It's a very powerful position for any one of those people to be in. Expect a lot of internal power struggles and a few rogue players to come to the fore.
So you think someone will pull a Barnaby?

There is no dual citizen issues at state level.

Also Troy Bell would support the Libs. Assuming he doesn't get convicted.

citywatcher
Legendary Member!

#333 Post by citywatcher » Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:54 pm

Jaymz wrote:
citywatcher wrote:
Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:06 pm
Jaymz wrote:Talk up the SA Labor party all you want. But the only reasons they weren't destroyed at the past 2 elections are...

1: Too many ppl in S.A rely on the Govt. for their livelihood i.e public sector, Govt. assisted industry and outright welfare.

Ultra left wing?
Give it a rest moron

.....and on that note, I rest my case.
On what you talking shit?
No wonder you rest your case indeed

OlympusAnt
High Rise Poster!

#334 Post by OlympusAnt » Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:59 pm

5/49 seemed to get this one right.
Follow me on Flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/135625678@N06/

Brucetiki
Legendary Member!

#335 Post by Brucetiki » Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:04 pm

Waewick wrote:
Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:31 pm
[Shuz] wrote:I'm a little confused. ABC are saying two seats are still in doubt, and having looked through the electorates, it would seem there are three (Adelaide, Mawson and Newland). Of which Labor is currently leading two and Liberal are ahead in Newland. Counting is about 2/3s done for the majority of seats.

All the others are pretty much called for. Will be interesting to see which way the postal votes will go.

It's looking likely though that Labor will end up with 20, Liberal 24, and 3 Independents.

It'll be interesting to see if the Liberals can go the whole four years as a united team and ensure that they are in lockstep with one another, because all it takes is one person to defect and they lose their majority.

We're seeing the exact same scenario playing out Federally because any one of them could do the same thing. Which is why we continue to see the likes of Abbott and Christensen, etc. constantly kicking up a fuss without any penalty or scolding from the party. Turnbull can't afford to lose his majorty and neither can Marshall.

It's a very powerful position for any one of those people to be in. Expect a lot of internal power struggles and a few rogue players to come to the fore.

Even if Bell is convicted Mt Gambier would go to the Libs comfortably in a by-election.

Aidan

#336 Post by Aidan » Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:33 pm

Jaymz wrote:
Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:39 pm
Talk up the SA Labor party all you want. But the only reasons they weren't destroyed at the past 2 elections are...

Very dubious, as the vast majority of them won't be affected by a change in government. And who's to say they're too many?
Even more dubious, as that misunderstanding benefitted the Liberals.
There were many big problems with Jay's agenda. Being ultra left wing wasn't one of them. The main one was failing to listen to the public.

The real reason SA Labor weren't destroyed at the past 2 elections was that the Liberals were even worse. People remembered the blackouts and brownouts, the Big Stink, the destruction of the Sellicks Hill caves, the IT industry corporate welfare debacle, and their constantly talking the state down on the pretence that we were paralysed by debt.
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

Aidan

#337 Post by Aidan » Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:43 pm

Has anyone else noticed the poll at the top of the page includes two parties that didn't even contest this election?
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

JAKJ
High Rise Poster!

#338 Post by JAKJ » Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:39 pm

Waewick wrote:
Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:55 am
I think people are being incredibly harsh on the Libs.

They aren't the Libs from 20 years ago.

Has anyone bothered to look at some of the candidates?

They have some impressive young and soon to be MPs who would all have been heavily invested in the polcies.

They arent going to all of a sudden turn into these old anti everything cronies you are expecting.
Unfortunately SA liberals and their backers tend to be the worst kind of liberals given the continued predominance of a number of families who haven't done anything significant or productive since the land booms in the 1890s and now ride high on the hard work of their great-great grand parents.

Marshall's CV is particularly uninspiring - running the family business into the ground to then sold off, before decamping to work for the Michells. His idea of economic reform will be cutting taxes for his buddies who rely on their extensive property portfolios for income (land tax, emergency services levy etc.). On a selfish level this should please me immensely because of the personal benefit that I and my family will receive from this, but I am capable of seeing the bigger picture (unlike a lot of my neighbours) and realise that this will not lead to a renaissance in new businesses and economic activity.

We need to attract foreign capital to this state and labor's policy of developing a niche (e.g. renewables) and flogging it shamelessly to the world has started to do just that as well as create job. Further I think that most productive small SA businesses would much rather have increased demand for their goods and services via higher population as well as economic activity generated by these large scale projects than saving a few $ on payroll tax.

citywatcher
Legendary Member!

#339 Post by citywatcher » Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:25 pm

JAKJ wrote:
Waewick wrote:

They have some impressive young and soon to be MPs who would all have been heavily invested in the polcies.

They arent going to all of a sudden turn into these old anti everything cronies you are expecting.
Unfortunately SA liberals and their backers tend to be the worst kind of liberals given the continued predominance of a number of families who haven't done anything significant or productive since the land booms in the 1890s and now ride high on the hard work of their great-great grand parents.

Marshall's CV is particularly uninspiring - running the family business into the ground to then sold off, before decamping to work for the Michells. His idea of economic reform will be cutting taxes for his buddies who rely on their extensive property portfolios for income (land tax, emergency services levy etc.). On a selfish level this should please me immensely because of the personal benefit that I and my family will receive from this, but I am capable of seeing the bigger picture (unlike a lot of my neighbours) and realise that this will not lead to a renaissance in new businesses and economic activity.

We need to attract foreign capital to this state and labor's policy of developing a niche (e.g. renewables) and flogging it shamelessly to the world has started to do just that as well as create job. Further I think that most productive small SA businesses would much rather have increased demand for their goods and services via higher population as well as economic activity generated by these large scale projects than saving a few $ on payroll tax.
Nailed it
It is not coincidence that their treasurer Rob Lucas was well and truly muzzled during the election campaign

rubberman

#340 Post by rubberman » Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:38 pm

Brucetiki wrote:
Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:04 pm
Waewick wrote:
Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:31 pm

Even if Bell is convicted Mt Gambier would go to the Libs comfortably in a by-election.
Which is why they are taken for granted.

Waewick

#341 Post by Waewick » Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:03 pm

JAKJ wrote:
Waewick wrote:

Look you are just simply wrong, but i doubt anything will change your mind on that.

You only need to see Mr Bernardi, the most conservative Liberal...isn't a Liberal.

Edit..or why Jo Chapley from the wealthy supermarket family is now a Labor candidate?

JAKJ
High Rise Poster!

#342 Post by JAKJ » Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:24 pm

Waewick wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:03 pm
JAKJ wrote:
Waewick wrote:

Look you are just simply wrong, but i doubt anything will change your mind on that.

You only need to see Mr Bernardi, the most conservative Liberal...isn't a Liberal.

Edit..or why Jo Chapley from the wealthy supermarket family is now a Labor candidate?
I don't see how bringing up either Cory Bernardi or Jo Chapley's personal political choices re their party affiliations is relevant to the South Australian Liberal Party power base. I would be happy to change my mind if you can provide a logical argument against what I have put forward and would be overjoyed to be proven wrong for the sake of this State.

Do you honestly believe the Premier having worked in management and directorial positions with the Michell family corporations that they and their like will not have a significant influence on Liberal government policy? Can you show me how the Liberal Party's announced economic measures do not revolve around exactly what I have put forward, cuts to land taxes, payroll tax and the emergency services levy?

I hope that Marshall is able to show vision beyond this, however his stated willingness to tear up the agreement on the Virtual Power Network - a project that requires minimal government funds/ exposure to deliver external capital investment, the manufacturing of high-value components in SA and the establishment of a significant global business's office in South Australia - for the sake of a political point suggests against this.

citywatcher
Legendary Member!

#343 Post by citywatcher » Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:43 pm

JAKJ wrote:
Waewick wrote:
JAKJ wrote: Unfortunately SA liberals and their backers tend to be the worst kind of liberals given the continued predominance of a number of families who haven't done anything significant or productive since the land booms in the 1890s and now ride high on the hard work of their great-great grand parents.

I don't see how bringing up either Cory Bernardi or Jo Chapley's personal political choices re their party affiliations is relevant to the South Australian Liberal Party power base. I would be happy to change my mind if you can provide a logical argument against what I have put forward and would be overjoyed to be proven wrong for the sake of this State.

Do you honestly believe the Premier having worked in management and directorial positions with the Michell family corporations that they and their like will not have a significant influence on Liberal government policy? Can you show me how the Liberal Party's announced economic measures do not revolve around exactly what I have put forward, cuts to land taxes, payroll tax and the emergency services levy?

I hope that Marshall is able to show vision beyond this, however his stated willingness to tear up the agreement on the Virtual Power Network - a project that requires minimal government funds/ exposure to deliver external capital investment, the manufacturing of high-value components in SA and the establishment of a significant global business's office in South Australia - for the sake of a political point suggests against this.
Don't hold your breath waiting for an articulate reply. When it comes to that side of politics there simply isn't one.

Waewick

#344 Post by Waewick » Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:42 pm

JAKJ wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:24 pm

you seek a logical argument to hearsay, slander and thought bubbles, hardly seems fair to me, so I'm just providing a summary of my thoughts Into what I think you are looking for responses to.

1. the Liberal party is not a corporate conspiracy. There are pretty much 2 corporates left in the state, and one of them is only here because it has to by law. The rest aren't interested in petty SA politics.
2. Marshall CV is likely to more inspiring than what has been pushed out by the now opposition, your other comments re influence are laughable. but if you really believe that perhaps you should notify ICAC.
3. Just on the ESL, the amount of money paid out to emergency services never changed when it went up, it isn't going down when the ESL does, just the publics direct share.
4. Payroll and land taxes, these are legitimate economic levels in a state with little other ones with some of the worst performing economic indicators in the country. I hope your family do well out of it I'm sure it would be a nice change.
5. The Virtual network, I would be stunned if Labor SA signed up a legal binding agreement that close to an election. However, Even their policy states it is an unfunded project and it might not even get past the trial stage. It is another case of lots of sizzle and no sausage.
6. The Vision, clearly this has been a huge short coming of the Liberals, despite all of their plans, releases and promises people like those on this forum don't see it and others don't either. You are right they will need to work on that, we will see in 4 years if there was one.
7. Cory Bernardi - see below. but as one of the biggest names in the party for 20 years his movement may have caused some shift in the force.

Also just quickly, I would love you to expand on your supposed powerbase of the Liberals, it sounds fascinating, I'm sure you could name a few of them?

Waewick

#345 Post by Waewick » Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:43 pm

citywatcher wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:43 pm
JAKJ wrote:
Waewick wrote:

Don't hold your breath waiting for an articulate reply. When it comes to that side of politics there simply isn't one.

never change :applause: