[SWP] 14 Bentham Street | 70m | 21 Levels | Travelodge Hotel

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Message
Author
User avatar
Nathan
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 3122
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:09 pm
Location: Bowden
Has thanked: 191 times
Been thanked: 609 times
Contact:

[SWP] 14 Bentham Street | 70m | 21 Levels | Travelodge Hotel

#1 Post by Nathan » Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:37 pm

Adelaide Hotel development: Travelodge on Bentham St will be an 18-storey tower on tiny CBD space
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/business/ ... 434442981e

Image

A GLEAMING new hotel is on the cards for the Adelaide CBD, with height – much more than girth – the primary focus.

David Lee, managing director of developer the Mandala Group – which built the up-market Rowands Apartments near Chinatown and also owns the Thebarton Ice Arena – has lodged an application to erect a 61 metre high hotel on a site that is little larger than a giant postage stamp.

Mr Lee hopes to begin work on the 183-room Travelodge hotel on Bentham St, a small cut through between Waymouth and Franklin streets, by August this year with a completion date in early 2020.

The 18-storey hotel, which Mr Lee hopes will be a four-star offering, will have an end value of around $48 million and will cater for the corporate and international tourism demographics.

“I was in Shanghai recently and spoke to several tourism groups about bringing visitors across to Adelaide,” he said.

The site, midway down the eastern side of the relatively nondescript Bentham, St is currently used as a tiny, ground floor only car park.

Image

“The hotel will reactivate Bentham St, with an alfresco bar on the ground floor and restaurant on the first floor. It is also in the middle of a $500 million CBD redevelopment with Charter Hall and Uniting Communities due to complete their buildings next year nearby on Franklin St and the revamp of Her Majesty’s Theatre will begin soon, ” he said.

The site is in the middle of the City of Adelaide’s laneways refurb, from the riverbank to the Central Market with Bank St already revitalised.

Mr Lee, who has owned the site for several years, spent 12 months chasing hotel operators to secure a deal.

“It’s hard to secure interest if Adelaide is not activated,” he said. “But the city has really been stepping up, there is a vibrancy and international tourism here now.”

Property agent Savills (SA) helped seal a deal with the major hotel operator, the TFE group which owns the Adina Hotel off Victoria Square.

Mr Lee expects the construction to generate up to 160 jobs with a further 30 to 50 permanent jobs on completion.

Adelaide architects Pruszinski PACT are behind what is likely to be one of the CBD’s more impressive design feats.

“Creating a significant hotel on a compact site was a challenging brief,” PACT director David Girolamo said.

“The hotel design respects the adjoining heritage building with detailed angular columns on the lower floors while the upper glass facade references the central CBD context.”

User avatar
Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member
Posts: 5664
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2007 1:06 pm
Has thanked: 767 times
Been thanked: 1367 times

[SWP] Re: Spire Living | 107m | 37lvls | Residential

#2 Post by Norman » Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:46 pm

Looks good, happy that they included some alfresco dining as the street desperately needs some night life after the current revitalisation is complete. The details and finishes will be critical for this development.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member
Posts: 5529
Joined: Fri Sep 16, 2005 6:48 pm
Location: Adelaide
Has thanked: 579 times
Been thanked: 151 times

[SWP] Re: Spire Living | 107m | 37lvls | Residential

#3 Post by Will » Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:53 pm

Ben wrote:
Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:12 pm
Article in the Advertiser. Will be a Travelodge hotel 18 stories and 61m. To start by August. Should we start a new thread or keep this one?
We should start a new thread. This is a completely new development. Would like to keep the old Spire thread for posterity.

Mpol03
Legendary Member!
Posts: 589
Joined: Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:39 am
Has thanked: 277 times
Been thanked: 47 times

[SWP] Re: Spire Living | 107m | 37lvls | Residential

#4 Post by Mpol03 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:12 pm

Based off of other Travelodge hotels, this probably won’t win any awards...

User avatar
Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member
Posts: 5664
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2007 1:06 pm
Has thanked: 767 times
Been thanked: 1367 times

[SWP] Re: Travelodge Hotel | Bentham Street | 61m | 18 lvls \ Hotel

#5 Post by Norman » Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:40 am

Topic split.

Mpol03
Legendary Member!
Posts: 589
Joined: Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:39 am
Has thanked: 277 times
Been thanked: 47 times

[SWP] Re: Travelodge Hotel | Bentham Street | 61m | 18 lvls \ Hotel

#6 Post by Mpol03 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:32 am

Doesn’t look too bad. I’ll hopefully eat my words once I see it finished.

rev
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 3932
Joined: Sat Nov 11, 2006 12:14 pm
Has thanked: 261 times
Been thanked: 375 times

[SWP] Re: Travelodge Hotel | Bentham Street | 61m | 18 lvls \ Hotel

#7 Post by rev » Sat Mar 24, 2018 3:17 pm

Mpol03 wrote:
Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:32 am
Doesn’t look too bad. I’ll hopefully eat my words once I see it finished.
It's a brown box, average height, should fit right in to our predominantly brown/beige skyline.
I foresee lots of complaining about what appears to be a blank wall though. Wouldn't be the S-A forum without it.

User avatar
phenom
High Rise Poster!
Posts: 434
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 1:12 pm
Location: Adelaide CBD
Has thanked: 590 times
Been thanked: 116 times

[SWP] Re: Travelodge Hotel | Bentham Street | 61m | 18 lvls \ Hotel

#8 Post by phenom » Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:08 pm

rev wrote:
Sat Mar 24, 2018 3:17 pm


It's a brown box, average height, should fit right in to our predominantly brown/beige skyline.
I foresee lots of complaining about what appears to be a blank wall though. Wouldn't be the S-A forum without it.
Possibly but this is one example where almost no-one will be able to see the blank wall except for the lunching workers of the taller Tower 8. Otherwise street level visibility of the blank wall- at least from the south - will be near zero.

User avatar
Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member
Posts: 5664
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2007 1:06 pm
Has thanked: 767 times
Been thanked: 1367 times

[SWP] Re: 14 Bentham Street | Travelodge Hotel | 61m | 18 lvls \ Hotel

#9 Post by Norman » Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:54 pm


Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member
Posts: 6694
Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2005 11:46 am
Location: Adelaide
Has thanked: 263 times
Been thanked: 1067 times

[SWP] Re: 14 Bentham Street | Travelodge Hotel | 61m | 18 lvls \ Hotel

#10 Post by Ben » Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:51 am

Increase in height of 3 levels.
Application Number: S10/21/2018/A
Type: Schedule 10
Lodged: 19/11/2018
Location: 16-20 Bentham Street, ADELAIDE SA 5000
Description: Vary previous authorisation construction of an 18 storey building comprising tourist accommodation, hospitality facilities and associated landscaping - VARIATION - an additional three (3) levels, adding 35 bedrooms to the development and increasing height to 70.14 m, change to façade to north and west perspective, minor changes to level 1 and 2 internal layouts and an additional sign on top of west façade.

User avatar
Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member
Posts: 5664
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2007 1:06 pm
Has thanked: 767 times
Been thanked: 1367 times

[SWP] Re: 14 Bentham Street | 70m | 21 Levels | Travelodge Hotel

#11 Post by Norman » Fri Dec 21, 2018 2:06 am

Services are continuing to be connected to the site.

Image

TheResearcher
Sen-Rookie-Sational
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:03 pm

[SWP] Re: 14 Bentham Street | 70m | 21 Levels | Travelodge Hotel

#12 Post by TheResearcher » Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:21 pm

Norman wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 2:06 am
Services are continuing to be connected to the site.

Image
i Heard Synergy is no longer the builder for this one, just wondering who might be the new builder?

User avatar
wilkiebarkid
Donating Member
Donating Member
Posts: 497
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:19 am
Location: Adelaide
Has thanked: 38 times
Been thanked: 132 times

[SWP] Re: 14 Bentham Street | Travelodge Hotel | 61m | 18 lvls \ Hotel

#13 Post by wilkiebarkid » Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:07 pm

Ben wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:51 am
Increase in height of 3 levels.
Application Number: S10/21/2018/A
Type: Schedule 10
Lodged: 19/11/2018
Location: 16-20 Bentham Street, ADELAIDE SA 5000
Description: Vary previous authorisation construction of an 18 storey building comprising tourist accommodation, hospitality facilities and associated landscaping - VARIATION - an additional three (3) levels, adding 35 bedrooms to the development and increasing height to 70.14 m, change to façade to north and west perspective, minor changes to level 1 and 2 internal layouts and an additional sign on top of west façade.
Hey Ben. Would you please direct me to the site where you obtained this notification of the variation?

User avatar
SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member
Posts: 2379
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2007 9:42 pm
Location: City
Has thanked: 529 times
Been thanked: 229 times

[SWP] Re: 14 Bentham Street | Travelodge Hotel | 61m | 18 lvls \ Hotel

#14 Post by SRW » Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:29 pm

wilkiebarkid wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:07 pm
Ben wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:51 am
Increase in height of 3 levels.
Application Number: S10/21/2018/A
Type: Schedule 10
Lodged: 19/11/2018
Location: 16-20 Bentham Street, ADELAIDE SA 5000
Description: Vary previous authorisation construction of an 18 storey building comprising tourist accommodation, hospitality facilities and associated landscaping - VARIATION - an additional three (3) levels, adding 35 bedrooms to the development and increasing height to 70.14 m, change to façade to north and west perspective, minor changes to level 1 and 2 internal layouts and an additional sign on top of west façade.
Hey Ben. Would you please direct me to the site where you obtained this notification of the variation?
Just search the address here:
https://www.saplanningportal.sa.gov.au/ ... c_register
Keep Adelaide Weird

User avatar
wilkiebarkid
Donating Member
Donating Member
Posts: 497
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:19 am
Location: Adelaide
Has thanked: 38 times
Been thanked: 132 times

[SWP] Re: 14 Bentham Street | Travelodge Hotel | 61m | 18 lvls \ Hotel

#15 Post by wilkiebarkid » Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:08 pm

SRW wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:29 pm
wilkiebarkid wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:07 pm
Ben wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:51 am
Increase in height of 3 levels.

Hey Ben. Would you please direct me to the site where you obtained this notification of the variation?
Just search the address here:
https://www.saplanningportal.sa.gov.au/ ... c_register
Thanks

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 19 guests