Deregulation of Shop Trading Hours

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.

Do you support de - regulation of shop trading hours ?

Yes
89%
No
11%

Total votes: 47

Goodsy
Legendary Member!

Re: Deregulation of Shop Trading Hours

#76 Post by Goodsy » Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:47 pm

Jaymz wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:36 pm
Nort wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:21 pm
Makes sense if you think of it in terms of availability. If you live in suburban Adelaide and have an emergency need for some grocery item there is almost certain to be a small shop or large servo open within reasonable driving distance where you can get it. Not as likely in a regional area.
I guess, that is a fair point.

But if the purpose of shopping restrictions is mainly to protect small businesses, you'd think that regional areas would be the ones in need of that most of all.
wouldn't be the first time small business owners don't know what's good for their own business

Jaymz
Legendary Member!

#77 Post by Jaymz » Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:53 pm

Not quite sure what you're trying to say there Goodsy. Could you explain?

Goodsy
Legendary Member!

#78 Post by Goodsy » Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:34 pm

Jaymz wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:53 pm
time and time again we see small business owners opposing things that would be a benefit to their business. Removing on street parking in favour of bike lanes for example.. or public transport being built infront of their shop...

This is just another thing you can add to the list

Jaymz
Legendary Member!

#79 Post by Jaymz » Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:00 pm

Goodsy wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:34 pm
Jaymz wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:53 pm
time and time again we see small business owners opposing things that would be a benefit to their business. Removing on street parking in favour of bike lanes for example.. or public transport being built infront of their shop...

This is just another thing you can add to the list
Yep, agreed.

And Adelaide is still trying to shake off it's small town mentality... from within. I'm pretty certain we have a pretty good rep from outside our state these days, I really believe that.

An interesting fact for you. If Adelaide was situated in the U.S, it would be their 9th largest city by population. So let's stop thinking we're a small city and get amongst it.

Goodsy
Legendary Member!

#80 Post by Goodsy » Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:19 pm

Jaymz wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:00 pm

Yep, agreed.

And Adelaide is still trying to shake off it's small town mentality... from within. I'm pretty certain we have a pretty good rep from outside our state these days, I really believe that.

An interesting fact for you. If Adelaide was situated in the U.S, it would be their 9th largest city by population. So let's stop thinking we're a small city and get amongst it.
Don't want to take this thread too far off topic, but the US counts their city populations differently. If Adelaide was in the US they'd only count the City of Adelaide's population as being Adelaide. You need to compare our population to their MSA's, which puts us at 44th

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_m ... ical_areas

Jaymz
Legendary Member!

#81 Post by Jaymz » Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:40 pm

Goodsy wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:19 pm
Jaymz wrote:

Yep, agreed.

Don't want to take this thread too far off topic, but the US counts their city populations differently. If Adelaide was in the US they'd only count the City of Adelaide's population as being Adelaide. You need to compare our population to their MSA's, which puts us at 44th

Nope. Irrelevant. I'm going by greater city populations.

Goodsy
Legendary Member!

#82 Post by Goodsy » Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:44 pm

Jaymz wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:40 pm
Goodsy wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:19 pm
Jaymz wrote:

Yep, agreed.

Nope. Irrelevant. I'm going by greater city populations.
Sorry.. But Adelaide is no bigger than San Francisco, Dallas, Miami, Las Vegas, Portland or Boston

Jaymz
Legendary Member!

#83 Post by Jaymz » Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:47 pm

Goodsy
Legendary Member!

#84 Post by Goodsy » Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:13 pm

Yes.. and that's how they do it, but it doesn't work compared to how we do it

take San Francisco for example, 870k people..

Here's San Francisco

Then you look across the bay at Oakland, 400k people

Which is right next to Berkley, 120k

Jaymz
Legendary Member!

#85 Post by Jaymz » Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:30 pm

Anyways, what I'm trying to say is that Adelaide isn't a small city so let's start thinking big and acting like the metropolis that we are.

Deregulation of shop trading hours is a must.

Waewick
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#86 Post by Waewick » Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:37 pm

All i know is i went to country Victoria and Urban Victoria and was able to shop when i needed to.

Also, beers in the local supermarkets.

Nathan

#87 Post by Nathan » Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:35 pm

I’m not really down with alcohol sales in supermarkets. Woolworths and Coles already dominate the market, and that will only further entrench it. You can guarantee smaller producers will be ignored especially with much smaller shelf space compared to stand alone stores.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#88 Post by crawf » Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:55 am

Nort wrote:Makes sense if you think of it in terms of availability. If you live in suburban Adelaide and have an emergency need for some grocery item there is almost certain to be a small shop or large servo open within reasonable driving distance where you can get it. Not as likely in a regional area.
You mean the ever growing OTR empire which has ruined countless small family owned businesses and monopolised the Adelaide market. That is another reason I want to see extended supermarket trading hours to give OTR a major shake up.
Waewick wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:37 pm
All i know is i went to country Victoria and Urban Victoria and was able to shop when i needed to.

Also, beers in the local supermarkets.
30km up the South Eastern Freeway, Coles in Mt Barker is opened to 11pm.....every night (previously midnight). Woolworths and K Mart are opened to 10pm again every night. Yet Gawler, McLaren Vale and Aldinga Beach which are further from the Adelaide CBD are bounded by the restrictive metropolitan trading hours.

^This is just another example of how ridiculous and confusing the trading hours currently are. An overhaul is well overdue.

claybro

#89 Post by claybro » Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:08 pm

Nathan wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:35 pm
I’m not really down with alcohol sales in supermarkets. Woolworths and Coles already dominate the market, and that will only further entrench it. You can guarantee smaller producers will be ignored especially with much smaller shelf space compared to stand alone stores.
Are you worried about market share of alcohol sales or consumers access to alcohol creating societal problems? I don't know about the smaller space being an issue. Aldi here in Perth sell alcohol (not sure about other states), and their stores are on quite a small footprint. IGA/ Foodland could easily sell a small range of alcohol, and give it to Coles/ Woolies...ie BWS, Dans etc. Alcohol is sold in supermarkets all over Europe large and small alike. If it is the societal problems you are concerned about, that is a different issue, and should be dealt with by enforcing the already existing laws relating to public intoxication, and domestic violence.

Llessur2002

#90 Post by Llessur2002 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:43 pm

claybro wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:08 pm
Are you worried about market share of alcohol sales or consumers access to alcohol creating societal problems? I don't know about the smaller space being an issue. Aldi here in Perth sell alcohol (not sure about other states), and their stores are on quite a small footprint. IGA/ Foodland could easily sell a small range of alcohol, and give it to Coles/ Woolies...ie BWS, Dans etc. Alcohol is sold in supermarkets all over Europe large and small alike. If it is the societal problems you are concerned about, that is a different issue, and should be dealt with by enforcing the already existing laws relating to public intoxication, and domestic violence.
I presume he's talking about the fact that supermarkets, with only a limited amount of shelf space to devote to alcohol over that of a typical bottle shop, will generally stock just a 'core' range of products from only the largest producers - essentially shutting out the smaller producers from the local retail market. For example, in the UK all supermarkets sell wine but the range of Australian wine is generally confined to a fairly drab selection of Hardy's, Penfold's, Wolf Blass and Jacob's Creek - as well as a few bottles which are sold under the supermarket's own label (but most likely still mass produced from one of the aforementioned winemakers).

Small, independent bottle shops are few and far between now in the UK as the supermarkets have priced them out of the market with their cheap, convenient but very homogenised offering. If such a situation were to be replicated in South Australia it could spell trouble for the likes of Fassina, Goodwood Cellars etc which would then leave the smaller producers which had been spurned by the large supermarkets with limited options to sell their product to the public.

In 10-20 years we'll all just be picking up a $10 bottle of Jacob's Creek from Woolies on our way home from work and only enjoying the good stuff when we bother to take a wine tour to the remaining producers in the Barrossa or McLaren Vale.