[U/C] M2 North-South Motorway

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

[U/C] Re: News & Discussion: South Road / North-South Corridor

#2596 Post by rev » Tue May 01, 2018 10:39 am

[Shuz] wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 10:24 am
I would have thought Pym Street east-west access would have been retained there as will be no east-west access across South Road or the motorway between Torrens Road and Regency Road, a distance of 1.5km. Residents in the neighbouring areas as well as the 230 and 232 bus routes will have detour to Regency or Torrens Road. Did DPTI even consult the community on this? I bet a few people won't be happy with this new arrangement.
The buses that run on Pym Street are barely used. Big deal, 100 people max are inconvenienced slightly by a minor bus route change.
Let's spend tens of millions more just so a handful of people don't have to sit on a bus for an extra 5 minutes.

rhino
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#2597 Post by rhino » Tue May 01, 2018 11:28 am

So it's all at grade, no trench? And I agree with Shuz regarding access to Pym St - what a pain in the arse if you live in that area! The western end will have access via Days Road, but on the eastern side, I expect traffic in the back streets will increase.
cheers,
Rhino

Patrick_27

#2598 Post by Patrick_27 » Tue May 01, 2018 11:55 am

rev wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 10:39 am
[Shuz] wrote:
I would have thought Pym Street east-west access would have been retained there as will be no east-west access across South Road or the motorway between Torrens Road and Regency Road, a distance of 1.5km. Residents in the neighbouring areas as well as the 230 and 232 bus routes will have detour to Regency or Torrens Road. Did DPTI even consult the community on this? I bet a few people won't be happy with this new arrangement.
The buses that run on Pym Street are barely used. Big deal, 100 people max are inconvenienced slightly by a minor bus route change.
Let's spend tens of millions more just so a handful of people don't have to sit on a bus for an extra 5 minutes.
You make a lot of these kinds of statements and yet if you were impacted, I'm sure you'd be kicking up a fuss...

rhino

#2599 Post by rhino » Tue May 01, 2018 12:40 pm

They seem to make a big deal about there being a continuous non-stop road from Gawler to the River Torrens (47km), when in fact there is a continuous non-stop road from Nuriootpa to the River Torrens, which is 75km. Why is this?
cheers,
Rhino

SBD

#2600 Post by SBD » Tue May 01, 2018 12:47 pm

rhino wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 12:40 pm
They seem to make a big deal about there being a continuous non-stop road from Gawler to the River Torrens (47km), when in fact there is a continuous non-stop road from Nuriootpa to the River Torrens, which is 75km. Why is this?
Arguably, it is continuous from Truro, but it is only dual carriageway from Nuriootpa.

There are at-grade uncontrolled right turns on and off of the Sturt Highway past the north end of the Gawler Bypass. Cycling is also permitted on the Gawler Bypass, so it is only bike-free from the start of the Northern Expressway (I'm not sure if they count from there or from the Horrocks Highway interchange).

SBD

#2601 Post by SBD » Tue May 01, 2018 1:09 pm

rev wrote:
[Shuz] wrote:
It is not shown in the artist's fly-through, but the text includes "A new grade separated pedestrian and cycle overpass over South Road in the vicinity of Pym Street" which would help the residents in the neighbouring areas.

The fly-through and artist impression shows a U-turn facility under the bridge south of Regency Road, so that might be where the bus ends up crossing the motorway.

Route 232 looks like a zigzag route between the through routes, so it might be plausible to split it and make two routes that don't cross the north-south corridor, depending on where the actual passenger trip endpoints are, and what other bus routes are available.

rev

#2602 Post by rev » Tue May 01, 2018 6:16 pm

Patrick_27 wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 11:55 am
rev wrote:
[Shuz] wrote:
You make a lot of these kinds of statements and yet if you were impacted, I'm sure you'd be kicking up a fuss...
I live in the area and have to drive through the road works daily, and I'll no longer be able to use Pym street to cut through, so I am impacted. No longer being able to use Pym street as a short cut, the way many of us have been for many years, is a small price to pay for positive progress in our city.

rev

#2603 Post by rev » Tue May 01, 2018 6:23 pm

SBD wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 1:09 pm
rev wrote:
[Shuz] wrote:
It is not shown in the artist's fly-through, but the text includes "A new grade separated pedestrian and cycle overpass over South Road in the vicinity of Pym Street" which would help the residents in the neighbouring areas.

The fly-through and artist impression shows a U-turn facility under the bridge south of Regency Road, so that might be where the bus ends up crossing the motorway.

Route 232 looks like a zigzag route between the through routes, so it might be plausible to split it and make two routes that don't cross the north-south corridor, depending on where the actual passenger trip endpoints are, and what other bus routes are available.
As the bus comes down Days Road, they could change it so it goes down Regency and then onto South Road(you'll notice in the video there's two lanes either side of the motorway) heading south, and then left onto Pym street and continuing on it's normal route.

Not sure if anyone noticed in the video fly through also, the ITS signs say 80km/h. 90km/h on the superway, down to 80km/h?

jorcoga
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#2604 Post by jorcoga » Wed May 02, 2018 4:08 am

Seems to me like the logical way of fixing it would be to split it - one route keeps going down Regency past South Road and runs down the sidestreets that roughly line up with Harrison Road, then the other continues down Days Road and then down Torrens. Google Maps reckons the corner of Pym Street and South Road to either of these options is a 5 minute walk, it would hardly be world ending. The only thing would be that unless you seriously ramped up frequencies there would be about a 9 stop gap where it's not a go zone anymore.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#2605 Post by Norman » Wed May 02, 2018 10:30 am

rev wrote:Not sure if anyone noticed in the video fly through also, the ITS signs say 80km/h. 90km/h on the superway, down to 80km/h?
Yes, Torrens to Torrens and this new section will be 80km/h.

rev

#2606 Post by rev » Wed May 02, 2018 7:55 pm

Norman wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 10:30 am
rev wrote:Not sure if anyone noticed in the video fly through also, the ITS signs say 80km/h. 90km/h on the superway, down to 80km/h?
What's the reasoning behind this? Surely it can't be safety...90km/h on a bridge...but 80km/h on a surface road and in a trench?

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#2607 Post by Norman » Wed May 02, 2018 9:04 pm

rev wrote:
Norman wrote:
What's the reasoning behind this? Surely it can't be safety...90km/h on a bridge...but 80km/h on a surface road and in a trench?
It is probably one or a combination of factors:
- Curve radius & lineation (there is a Zig zag at the Polonia Football Club)
- Sight lines
- Surrounding land use
- Expected traffic volumes
- Width of lanes

They always design roads to be 10km/h over the posted speed limit. So this section will be designed for 90km/h but operates at a maximum of 80km/h.

metro
Legendary Member!

#2608 Post by metro » Wed May 02, 2018 9:28 pm

rev wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 7:55 pm
Norman wrote:
I suspect it's just the govt wanting frustrate motorists by setting the speed limit of a road designed for a higher speed to 80km/h so they can rake in the speeding fine $$, because doing 10km/h over the limit on a road designed for fast moving cars and trucks is dangerous :roll:

The MOTORway speed should be set at 100+km/h. This section is getting variable speed limits, so whenever traffic is heavy during the peak hours the variable speed limit signs should lower the speed limit to 80km/h, if motorway is empty then it should increase to 110, starts raining then it lowers to 100, rains heavily then lowers 80 and so on, adapting to the conditions like a decent driver should, that's how variable speed limit systems should work. What they actually do is drop the speed limit to 40km/h for a few km because there were "roadworks" hours earlier.

Patrick_27

#2609 Post by Patrick_27 » Wed May 02, 2018 10:26 pm

Speaking of Motorway, has this state settled yet on what they prefer to call officially call these kinds of roads? Obviously we have the S/E Freeway and the PR Expressway, and presumably everything in this corridor will be swallowed up until one title (unless we do things the way Perth have with their major North-South road). I get that Freeways and Expressway are two different things, but they're also incredibly similar and it would be good to get our terms aligned once and for all on this.

greenknight
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#2610 Post by greenknight » Thu May 03, 2018 7:43 am

I would assume that the whole continuation will end up being called the North-South Motorway... they even have started putting signs up that say it -- https://www.google.com/maps/@-34.875097 ... 2!1b1!2i37