[U/C] 145-159 King William Street (GPO) | 61m | 16 Levels | Hotel

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Stryker
Gold-Member ;)

[U/C] Re: 145-159 King William Street (GPO) | 61m | 16 Levels | Hotel

#136 Post by Stryker » Wed May 09, 2018 11:51 pm

This is probably the most boring design I’ve seen. Another boring box.... This location deserves something spectacular, not this crap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Patrick_27
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#137 Post by Patrick_27 » Thu May 10, 2018 12:39 am

Ho Really wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 10:59 pm
Nort wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 4:05 pm

Does look better, but still pretty disappointing.

Can't help but feel that if the appearance of the base from the last image was visible above the GPO building it would reduce the very stumpy look of the whole thing.
If the base, as you say, was somewhere in the middle of the building it would break up the stumpiness and monotony of the block. Also it should be taller. At least 100 or even 115 metres in height to give it some slenderness. Then add a fifth side, angled so it emphasizes the GPO bell tower when viewed from Victoria Square. Simple.

Cheers
I don't see how having a 100m tall building in this location would 'emphasise' the clock tower, it would only drown it out further. The height is fine, it's the design that perhaps lets this development down, however I'm slightly optimistic that the materials will save this from looking totally shit. Can't be worse than the Ernst and Young building next door.

Ser Noit of Loit
High Rise Poster!

#138 Post by Ser Noit of Loit » Thu May 10, 2018 7:36 pm

Patrick_27 wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 12:39 am
Ho Really wrote:
Nort wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 4:05 pm

Does look better, but still pretty disappointing.

Can't help but feel that if the appearance of the base from the last image was visible above the GPO building it would reduce the very stumpy look of the whole thing.
If the base, as you say, was somewhere in the middle of the building it would break up the stumpiness and monotony of the block. Also it should be taller. At least 100 or even 115 metres in height to give it some slenderness. Then add a fifth side, angled so it emphasizes the GPO bell tower when viewed from Victoria Square. Simple.

Cheers
I don't see how having a 100m tall building in this location would 'emphasise' the clock tower, it would only drown it out further. The height is fine, it's the design that perhaps lets this development down, however I'm slightly optimistic that the materials will save this from looking totally shit. Can't be worse than the Ernst and Young building next door.
I agree about the height. It shouldn't be 100m or more. There's an appealing view of the city from Victoria square with the post office, ANZ building, 115 KWS, and then Westpac House layered behind each other, each progressively taller than the one infront of it. If this one was too tall it'd break this up.

Plasmatron
High Rise Poster!

#139 Post by Plasmatron » Thu May 10, 2018 11:05 pm

Indeed - It doesn't need to be significantly taller, it just needs a significantly better design. Otherwise it's a significantly wasted opportunity in a significant central city location. We have one chance to get things right here.
https://www.youtube.com/UltraVibeProductions

Splashmo
High Rise Poster!

#140 Post by Splashmo » Fri May 11, 2018 6:05 pm

Do we know which company will run the hotel?

Pikey
VIP Member
VIP Member

#141 Post by Pikey » Sat May 12, 2018 10:29 am

Splashmo wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 6:05 pm
Do we know which company will run the hotel?
The rumour getting around is that this will be a Westin hotel.
Walking on over....

| Sensational-Adelaide.com Moderator |

row
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#142 Post by row » Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:00 pm

They have just announced it will be a Westin hotel.

Pikey
VIP Member
VIP Member

[U/C] Re: 145-159 King William Street (GPO) Westin Hotel | 61m | 16 Levels | Hotel

#143 Post by Pikey » Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:22 pm

https://www.afr.com/real-estate/commerc ... 704-h127rd
Marriott ties up deal with Greaton Group to bring Westin to Adelaide

Hotel giant Marriott International has strengthened its grip on Australia's luxury hotel sector, after striking a deal with developer Greaton Group to bring its flagship five-star Westin brand to Adelaide by 2022.

The 285-room Westin Adelaide, with an end value of $200 million, will form part of a 15-storey tower that will emerge from Greaton's reworking of the historic Adelaide GPO building at 141-159 King William Street.

Adelaide-based Greaton Group, which is also the developer of Marriott's W Hotel at the Ribbon project at Sydney's Darling Harbour, acquired the King William Street site 18 months ago.

"We are thrilled to partner with Marriott International to deliver a five-star wellness experience to the city of Adelaide," said Greaton managing director Nicho Teng.

Following its 2016 merger with Starwood Hotels & Resorts to create the world's biggest hotel operator, Marriott has embarked on a big hotel expansion program in Australia with a big focus on capitalising on the growing numbers of wealthy Chinese tourists coming to Australia every year. It aims to operate 50 hotels in the Pacific by 2020.

Marriott now accounts for two-thirds of the new room supply in the luxury space through Ritz-Carlton's Westins, W and Sheraton hotels opening in all the major capital cities.

Most recently, the 312-room W Brisbane developed by the Shayer Group hotel opened in June, following the opening in April of the 386-room Westin Perth developed by the Buckeridge family's BGC Group, which is now up for sale.

The 297-room Four Points by Sheraton at Sydney's Central Park development has been bought by hotel tycoon Jerry Schwartz and will open in August with the 286-room Westin Brisbane, developed by Sam Chong to open in November.

Also under development are Ritz-Carlton hotels in Perth and Melbourne, a W hotel in Melbourne as part of CBus Property's Collins Arch and recently approved 220 room Westin Coolum Resort & Spa.

"We're delighted to collaborate with our longstanding partner Greaton to expand the Westin brand in South Australia," said Richard Crawford, senior director development, Australia, New Zealand and Pacific at Marriott International.

"The brand is enjoying phenomenal growth across Australia, where it has developed a loyal following thanks to its unique positioning around wellness," he said.

Adelaide has been a strengthening hotel market of late with occupancy rates above 80 per cent according to research house STR. In recent years, it has attracted a number of new hotels to the CBD including most recently Intercontinental Hotels Group (IHG) announcing plans to bring the Crowne Plaza hotel brand back to Adelaide.

The new hotel will include three dining venues, a fitness studio, outdoor swimming pool and spa as well as 310 square meters of meeting and event space.

Alongside the new hotel, Charter Hall is developing a new $250 million office tower that will host mining giant BHP.
Walking on over....

| Sensational-Adelaide.com Moderator |

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

[U/C] Re: 145-159 King William Street (GPO) Westin Hotel | 61m | 16 Levels | Hotel

#144 Post by Norman » Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:40 pm

2022? So that means construction won't start until 2020?

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#145 Post by crawf » Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:17 am

Hopefully there's a redesign.

Jaymz
Legendary Member!

#146 Post by Jaymz » Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:52 am

To commence the second half of next year, cue the eye roll :roll:

I'll believe it once I see a crane installed, and hopefully with a different design.

GrowAdelaide
High Rise Poster!

#147 Post by GrowAdelaide » Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:56 am

My understanding was that this was always Stage 2 of the GPO project so won't commence until Stage 1 is complete. Timeline checks out.

HiTouch
Legendary Member!

#148 Post by HiTouch » Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:42 am

250 permanent jobs is great but there's something about this that screams Echelon / softiel.
All talk, no build.

In regards to design, I doubt it will change much if you've seen Westin hotels. They all look the same inside and out. I know this because I stay in one every day on my many travels
(one of the unfortunate costs of being rich and famous)... I also looked on Wikipedia.

Ho Really

#149 Post by Ho Really » Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:25 pm

Ser Noit of Loit wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 7:36 pm
Patrick_27 wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 12:39 am
Ho Really wrote:

Cheers
I agree about the height. It shouldn't be 100m or more. There's an appealing view of the city from Victoria square with the post office, ANZ building, 115 KWS, and then Westpac House layered behind each other, each progressively taller than the one infront of it. If this one was too tall it'd break this up.
and...
Plasmatron wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 11:05 pm
Indeed - It doesn't need to be significantly taller, it just needs a significantly better design. Otherwise it's a significantly wasted opportunity in a significant central city location. We have one chance to get things right here.
If a taller hotel tower will overpower the clocktower then so will the office building currently being built next door.

Go back to page 4 and take a look at the mock-up posted there. Change the colour of the hotel tower to contrast that of the GPO clocktower and give it a fifth angled facade.

The right coloured glass and cladding on the hotel will accentuate the clocktower's form from most angles of the square. The current design may be fine when the clocktower is viewed at a close distance (as seen in the rendering from Victoria Square), but further away the angles change.

Don't get me wrong, I don't mind the current height, and would be happy if it went ahead at 15~16 levels, but I think this prime position would have allowed for something taller. Just clarifying.

Cheers
Confucius say: Dumb man climb tree to get cherry, wise man spread limbs.

EBG

#150 Post by EBG » Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:29 am

Pikey (above mentions the new Ritz -Carlton in Melbourne .This will be 79 stories high.
see https://www.news.com.au/travel/australi ... 51675aabce.

Work was just staring on this when I was there 4 weeks ago . This whole area of spencer St is surrounded by apartment blocks all around 35-40 stories. There were 3 tower cranes on site (the third is set back from spencer St).
Attachments
20180610_ritz carlton.jpg
20180610_ritz carlton.jpg (523.11 KiB) Viewed 6376 times