News & Discussion: Other Metropolitan Developments

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
Eurostar
Legendary Member!

Re: News & Discussion: Metropolitan Developments

#1246 Post by Eurostar » Wed May 30, 2018 10:43 am

Norman wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 10:18 am
Marion on ice as developer names preferred site for a $25 million recreation centre in the south
Michelle Etheridge, CoastCity Weekly Messenger
May 24, 2018 11:59am

A $25 MILLION recreation centre complete with two rinks for ice-skating, sports such as hockey and curling, and a rock-climbing wall, could be on its way to Marion.

Ice Rinks Adelaide — the company behind a $40 million centre in Adelaide’s north — is pushing a similar project for land next to the Club Marion sporting and recreation hub on Sturt Rd.

The company’s director, Stephen Campbell, has approached Marion Council about his proposal, which — if approved — would replace 9000sq m of underused croquet space.

The council this week voted to call for expressions of interest from all sports or community groups interested in buying or leasing the site and developing it for recreational use.

Its move was prompted by Mr Campbell’s proposal, which he said would mirror his Playford Arena complex in Elizabeth, but “on a slightly smaller scale”.

Mr Campbell said he was interested in four sites for a southern Adelaide centre, but Marion was at the top of the list, boasting good links to transport and the “market pull” of nearby Westfield shopping centre.

“We’d have two Olympic-size sheets of ice — one dedicated to sports uses and one for recreational skating and an area for rock climbing,” he said.

“We also have plans for one or two activities that the site lends itself to, so there’s a little surprise in that.”

Adelaide needed more ice rinks to cater for demand for sports including hockey, curling, figure skating, speed skating and broomball, he said.

“The north and south are growing, and if we really want to accommodate young people and get them involved in activity, healthy choices like rock climbing and skating, you need to put new facilities where the growth is occurring,” he said.

If the Marion project was approved, it would cost roughly $25 million, holding 600-1200 spectators. The Elizabeth centre can hold 4000.

Investors would help fund the Marion centre, which Mr Campbell hoped would open in the first half of 2020 — about the same time as the northern centre. That project has been boosted by a $10 million State Government loan.

Marion Council city development manager Abby Dickson said the council had “a very high-level discussion” with Ice Rinks Adelaide.

The council on Tuesday night voted behind closed doors to seek expressions of interest for the croquet site.

“At this stage, it’s about testing the market to see what the opportunities are,” Ms Dickson said. “It’s important to have an open market process to ensure we get the best outcome for the community.”

The council would work with Marion Croquet Club, which calls the courts home, to discuss its future and potentially help it find a new home.

Club secretary Glenna Bulley said poor playing surfaces, caused by the wrong grass being planted back in 1981, had made it difficult to attract and retain players.

Mrs Bulley said she would “look to the heavens” in the hope its ageing members could keep playing instead of “staying in nursing homes and watching TV”.

“I hope the council can do something and get us over this hurdle,” she said.

The council will seek expressions of interest for the land from June 5.

It would then consider the proposals after the local government elections in November.
I can see the Playford Ice Arena being either scaled back or scrapped. Marion Ice Arena would have more catchment, is close to the city and airport, attractive area.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#1247 Post by Norman » Wed May 30, 2018 10:48 am

Eurostar wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 10:43 am
I can see the Playford Ice Arena being either scaled back or scrapped. Marion Ice Arena would have more catchment, is close to the city and airport, attractive area.
I disagree, Playford has a much larger youth population, whereas Marion has an ageing population. The Playford proposal also has the backing of a State Government loan and huge support from the local council.

SBD
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#1248 Post by SBD » Wed May 30, 2018 2:20 pm

Norman wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 10:48 am
Eurostar wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 10:43 am
I disagree, Playford has a much larger youth population, whereas Marion has an ageing population. The Playford proposal also has the backing of a State Government loan and huge support from the local council.
The developer had already said he wanted to build one south of the CBD as well as the one at Playford. Apparently the one at Thebarton is expected to close when its current lease runs out, and nobody knows about the one at Noarlunga (if it's still open). Are there any other ice rinks in Adelaide these days?

Llessur2002

#1249 Post by Llessur2002 » Thu May 31, 2018 10:37 am

$9.5m warehouse development a nod to history

A BROMPTON developer wants to keep the spirit of a well-known carpet company alive in it’s $9.5 million development on the site of its old warehouse.

The 3299 sq m block at 97 Coglin St is still occupied by McLeay and Sons Carpets bulk store, which has been there for about 50 years.

But Cavaton Projects wants to turn it into a three-storey complex including 38 apartments, a childcare centre and undercroft parking.

As a tribute to its roots, the company plans to retain one side of McLeay and Sons’ distinctive red brick wall along Coglin St – which features the carpet company’s original advertising – in the new design.

Director of Cavaton Projects Darragh Sexton said a contract for the land would settle “very soon” and plans had already been lodged with Charles Sturt Council.

He said the development was sensitive to the site’s history.

“We’ve had heritage architects do a report and we’re going to restore the McLeay’s advertising and revitalise it,” Mr Sexton said.

“They’ve been around for a long time so we will keep the heritage aspect in mind with the development.”

Mr Sexton said the brick wall would also be kept for acoustics and privacy for the childcare centre, which would be located next to the carpark on the ground floor.

According to application documents, the childcare centre would accommodate 82 children, aged from infants to five years, and would have five playrooms, one sleeping room and a shaded outdoor play area.

Mr Sexton said Brompton had a need for more childcare facilities.

He said the top two storeys would be home to one, two and three-bedroom apartments, all with balconies.

The carpark would include 67 spaces in total – 46 for residents and 21 for the childcare centre – and would have two lifts for residential access.

Charles Sturt chief executive Paul Sutton said the proposal would go to public notification but could not give an estimated time.

“The development application is in the initial stages of assessment and there is a lot of information still to be provided and considered,” Mr Sutton said.

“In all likelihood, the application will go to the council assessment panel, so a decision could be several months away.”

The current value of the site is $780,000 according to application documents.
From: http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/messenger ... dd1491c422

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

Re: News & Discussion: Other Metropolitan Developments

#1250 Post by Norman » Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:38 am

The Marion Hotel upgrade started today.

Eurostar
Legendary Member!

#1251 Post by Eurostar » Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:00 pm

If you have noticed Caltex on the corner of Hampstead Road and Folland Avenue in Northfield has had it sign changed to red and rebranded as CAHILLTEX here is what is going on....

From Caltex Starmart website:
What is CAHILLTEX?
Aas naming-rights partner of the Caltex Socceroos, we're honouring Australia’s greatest footballer, Tim Cahill in a world-first tribute.

Five of our sites across the country have been given a makeover in honour of the legendary Tim, transforming to CAHILLTEX throughout May and June.

The special tribute also marks Tim's new partnership with us.
Attachments
55cc5fe2720d3e3cb9dd881cb31fb6a8.jpeg
How Northfield Caltex looks
55cc5fe2720d3e3cb9dd881cb31fb6a8.jpeg (118.57 KiB) Viewed 5815 times
Last edited by Eurostar on Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bits
Legendary Member!

#1252 Post by bits » Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:11 pm

Eurostar wrote:What is CAHILLTEX?
I have no idea why your post looks exactly like an ad and excludes actual human like info, but for what it is worth the South Australian site is in Clearview or Northfield or near Lightsview if you like.
Be less robot Eurostar.

SBD

#1253 Post by SBD » Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:28 pm

bits wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:11 pm
I have no idea why your post looks exactly like an ad and excludes actual human like info, but for what it is worth the South Australian site is in Clearview or Northfield or near Lightsview if you like.
Be less robot Eurostar.
I agree with your point, but that information is in the caption under the picture "How Northfield Caltex looks" although I thought the image looked like advertising not a photo - how is it doctored?

Eurostar
Legendary Member!

#1254 Post by Eurostar » Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:25 pm

On The Run may of had fun dominating the service station market in this state for around a decade or so but now we are seeing Agostino AM PM, Coles Express, Caltex, Liberty, Shell, United and X Convenience competing to get a slice of the pie. By the way its good to see X Convenience actually launching their own X Burger. Its only a matter of time until we see KFC in a service station.

Eurostar
Legendary Member!

#1255 Post by Eurostar » Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:42 pm

:banana:
bits wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:11 pm
Be less robot Eurostar.
I am not advertising, I am NOT working for any advertising company or anyway associated with Caltex or Homemaker Centres or Eyre Village etc.

I am not a robot. I am sure you wouldn"t like it if people said stuff like that to you.

The service station special facelift caught my eye and I am interested in whats happening in my world.

bits
Legendary Member!

#1256 Post by bits » Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:47 am

Eurostar wrote: I am not advertising, I am NOT working for any advertising company or anyway associated with Caltex or Homemaker Centres or Eyre Village etc.

I am not a robot. I am sure you wouldn"t like it if people said stuff like that to you.
Apparently your picture has a caption, but I can't see it to me I see a random string of characters for its filename only.
Your post has been edited to improve the post but originally the post was a copy paste of Caltex promo material and their picture, nothing more. Eg what is now a quote.

It lacked any comment or review of the promo material. It lacked detail that would be of interest, eg was it current promo material for a new build somewhere and where are the described buildings.

bits
Legendary Member!

#1257 Post by bits » Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:57 am

SBD wrote: I agree with your point, but that information is in the caption under the picture "How Northfield Caltex looks" although I thought the image looked like advertising not a photo - how is it doctored?
Tapatalk does not show the caption at all it only shows the filename, I assume that is true for all pictures. My bad that my method of access to the forum hides the one place a tiny bit of info was hiding.

bits
Legendary Member!

#1258 Post by bits » Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:54 pm

Kaufland Wynn Vale

https://kauflandaustralia.com.au/wynn-vale/
richardsonreserve.png
richardsonreserve.png (1.12 MiB) Viewed 5539 times

The below is based on info given by TTG Council to residents within 400m to give opinions about the possible sale of Richardson Reserve.
Feedback from locals is now open and will close end of July. Council will likely make a decision prior to elections in September.

For this to go ahead requires TTG Council to agree to sell the land for this price and to rezone it to something appropriate for a supermarket.

Kaufland made an unsolicited bid for Richardson Reserve (35,430 sqm) in Wynn Vale in Feb 2018 for $14.2m
City of Tea Tree Gully Council requested to remove a small skinny piece of land currently used for screening along The Golden Way and also added a new screen along Richardson Drive.
Kaufland offered $13.8m in March 2018 for the approximately 34,400 sqm land.
CBRE value the full 35,430 sqm site at $10.6m for residential and $8.9m for retail/commercial.

Richardson Reserve requires upgrades to remain usable as soccer fields.
The proposed upgrades would cost $5.9m. TTG were planning options including these upgrades prior to the unsolicited bid.

Tea Tree Gully would relocate the Modbury Vista Soccer Club to a newly created sporting area at 1235-1243 Golden Grove Road, Golden Grove.
Council was offered this land for $3.71m in 2017 but rejected it as they believed it was only valued at $2.785m.

MVSC agree to the move if new facilities of suitable quality are built.

Kaufland requirements are for at least a 6,500 sqm supermarket and a license to sell take away liquor.
They say it would create 100 jobs for the life of the store and 250 more during construction.
Attachments
1235goldengrove.png
1235goldengrove.png (2.11 MiB) Viewed 5538 times
Last edited by bits on Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:25 am, edited 2 times in total.

The Scooter Guy

#1259 Post by The Scooter Guy » Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:18 pm

That lower part of Richardson Reserve used to host a Christmas carol concert from memory.
For starters, my avatar is the well-known Adelaide Aquatic Centre insignia from 1989.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWk8YPx2zHziHgvyPy_9fxQ
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryanthescooterguy/
http://ryansbedroom.tumblr.com/

bits
Legendary Member!

#1260 Post by bits » Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:27 am

The red part is Richardson reserve, the other fields are part of a school.
The Carol were/are on Richardson Reserve.
The schools land is not part of this potential sale.