News & Discussion: Roads & Traffic

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
Message
Author
rev
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 3973
Joined: Sat Nov 11, 2006 12:14 pm
Has thanked: 272 times
Been thanked: 398 times

Re: News & Discussion: Road Issues & Traffic Congestion

#1066 Post by rev » Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:20 pm

ChillyPhilly wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:45 pm
I enjoyed this interesting, anecdotal read on Grand Junction Road.

https://indaily.com.au/opinion/2018/03/ ... long-road/
So you know what I like best about GJ?

Go on, ask me.

It’s that you don’t need to turn a single corner to get to the other end. Simple, no fuss. And idiot-proof. Like a whole city putting its faith in a fish.
........

I read all that, just for this conclusion? :lol:

User avatar
rhino
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 2924
Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2005 4:37 pm
Location: Nairne
Has thanked: 43 times
Been thanked: 111 times

Re: News & Discussion: Road Issues & Traffic Congestion

#1067 Post by rhino » Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:22 pm

ChillyPhilly wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:45 pm
I enjoyed this interesting, anecdotal read on Grand Junction Road.

https://indaily.com.au/opinion/2018/03/ ... long-road/
I enjoyed it too. Rather eccentric :lol:
cheers,
Rhino

User avatar
drsmith
Legendary Member!
Posts: 513
Joined: Wed Nov 07, 2007 3:35 pm
Location: Perth
Has thanked: 24 times
Been thanked: 15 times

Re: News & Discussion: Road Issues & Traffic Congestion

#1068 Post by drsmith » Fri Mar 30, 2018 3:17 pm

An amusing read but I note no mention of the Superway structure towering over the top at South Road. The decoration in the design was perhaps not in keeping with the overall tone of the article.

Brucetiki
Legendary Member!
Posts: 736
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:20 pm
Has thanked: 400 times
Been thanked: 44 times

Re: News & Discussion: Road Issues & Traffic Congestion

#1069 Post by Brucetiki » Sat Mar 31, 2018 3:29 pm

ChillyPhilly wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:45 pm
I enjoyed this interesting, anecdotal read on Grand Junction Road.

https://indaily.com.au/opinion/2018/03/ ... long-road/
One of the worst pieces of writing I've ever seen on InDaily (and that includes Malcolm King's drivel).

The bit around Hope Valley was so long and convoluted, that by the time we actually hit Gepps Cross the writer clearly realises 'shit I have about 50 words left lets just rush the rest of the road'.

User avatar
monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member
Posts: 5466
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:10 am
Location: Adelaide, East End.
Has thanked: 192 times
Been thanked: 288 times
Contact:

Re: News & Discussion: Road Issues & Traffic Congestion

#1070 Post by monotonehell » Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:15 am

Brucetiki wrote:
Sat Mar 31, 2018 3:29 pm
ChillyPhilly wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:45 pm
I enjoyed this interesting, anecdotal read on Grand Junction Road.

https://indaily.com.au/opinion/2018/03/ ... long-road/
One of the worst pieces of writing I've ever seen on InDaily (and that includes Malcolm King's drivel).

The bit around Hope Valley was so long and convoluted, that by the time we actually hit Gepps Cross the writer clearly realises 'shit I have about 50 words left lets just rush the rest of the road'.
Orrrrr it could be that Hope Valley is the most interesting and densely packed part of the journey, I mean have you seen the abandoned milk depot? It's been there a long time.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

rev
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 3973
Joined: Sat Nov 11, 2006 12:14 pm
Has thanked: 272 times
Been thanked: 398 times

Re: News & Discussion: Roads & Traffic

#1071 Post by rev » Sat Aug 04, 2018 3:40 pm

Rosetta Street, West Croydon. The underpass.

I'm sure I'm not the only one whose witnessed sedans clip the side wall and lose a mirror...

There's a trend towards big SUV's on the one end, and small hatches on the other.

The underpass needs a bit of widening. It's extremely narrow, and even though it's 40km/h through it, it's unsafe, particularly at night time when there's an SUV or 4WD coming at it/down it/back up...they are not only wider and therefore a very tight and hard squeeze through the underpass, the fact they are higher off the ground means their headlights are hitting you right in the face, blinding you.
Tight narrow passage way, can't see where you're going...great success :banana:

May have been adequate in decades gone by, but it needs an upgrade. It's only a small underpass so it shouldn't impact train services for too long.

It will also be interesting to see how traffic flows change once T2T is finished. Peak hour through Rosetta Street is a nightmare and I've seen it almost bumper to bumper through all those round-about's from Torrens Road to Port Road.

User avatar
metro
Legendary Member!
Posts: 962
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:11 pm
Location: Adelaide
Has thanked: 371 times
Been thanked: 49 times

Re: News & Discussion: Roads & Traffic

#1072 Post by metro » Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:31 pm

I think it's just some people don't know how to drive. The lanes in the underpass are 2.7m wide, the average SUV and 4WD is about 2m wide, our standard road lanes are a very generous 3.5m.

In the suburbs there's less than 2.7m on some streets when there are cars parked both sides. Getting though tight spaces is just one of the things motorists have to deal with when driving.

rev
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 3973
Joined: Sat Nov 11, 2006 12:14 pm
Has thanked: 272 times
Been thanked: 398 times

Re: News & Discussion: Roads & Traffic

#1073 Post by rev » Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:13 pm

metro wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:31 pm
I think it's just some people don't know how to drive. The lanes in the underpass are 2.7m wide, the average SUV and 4WD is about 2m wide, our standard road lanes are a very generous 3.5m.
You've gone out and measured the width of the underpass with your tape measure or...?

There's no kerb in there..
Getting though tight spaces is just one of the things motorists have to deal with when driving.
How many underpasses with walls on one side and a little white dividing painted line are there in Adelaide? It's hardly common place.
There's a trend to bigger, wider cars..

Anyway, there's some work that's going to happen in the area..just not a widening of the underpass..unfortunately.
The project will include:

• full road reconstruction within the roadway from Torrens Road to Day Terrace
• kerb and gutter repairs (both sides) to improve street drainage
• minor stormwater drainage upgrades to assist flow of stormwater
• upgrade to roundabout. Trees will remain
• footpath repairs (where needed)
• reconstruction of kerb access ramps to DDA (Disability Discrimination Act) compliant with tactile pavers to improve accessibility for the elderly and mobility impaired.

The works are anticipated to commence in August 2019 with an estimated completion date of February 2019 due to the length of the road and complexity of the project.
https://www.charlessturt.sa.gov.au/page ... 92&c=57442

User avatar
Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member
Posts: 5682
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2007 1:06 pm
Has thanked: 770 times
Been thanked: 1387 times

Re: News & Discussion: Roads & Traffic

#1074 Post by Norman » Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:57 pm

They could always make it a contraflow... a lot cheaper than rebuilding the whole thing.

rubberman
Legendary Member!
Posts: 1300
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2007 10:32 pm
Location: ADL ex DRW, ASP, MGB
Has thanked: 141 times
Been thanked: 229 times

Re: News & Discussion: Roads & Traffic

#1075 Post by rubberman » Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:43 am

Norman wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:57 pm
They could always make it a contraflow... a lot cheaper than rebuilding the whole thing.
The hidden problem also is that immediately any major work is done, everyone expects the gold plating. So, it wouldn't stop at widening. There would then be insistence on more excavation for gentler approach slopes, and a median, and a footpath. An extra metre of width would make a huge difference and might be affordable. The whole gold plated catastrophe of widening, gentler slopes, a median and footpaths? Well, there's probably higher priorities for that sort of money.

Goodsy
Legendary Member!
Posts: 936
Joined: Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:39 am
Has thanked: 13 times
Been thanked: 158 times

Re: News & Discussion: Roads & Traffic

#1076 Post by Goodsy » Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:49 am

rubberman wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:43 am
Norman wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:57 pm
They could always make it a contraflow... a lot cheaper than rebuilding the whole thing.
The hidden problem also is that immediately any major work is done, everyone expects the gold plating. So, it wouldn't stop at widening. There would then be insistence on more excavation for gentler approach slopes, and a median, and a footpath. An extra metre of width would make a huge difference and might be affordable. The whole gold plated catastrophe of widening, gentler slopes, a median and footpaths? Well, there's probably higher priorities for that sort of money.
Those aren't expectations, those are regulations

User avatar
Llessur2002
Legendary Member!
Posts: 1486
Joined: Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:59 pm
Location: West Croydon
Has thanked: 448 times
Been thanked: 672 times

Re: News & Discussion: Roads & Traffic

#1077 Post by Llessur2002 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:51 am

Presumably the simpler and cheaper alternative is to discourage drivers from using Rosetta Street as a north-south cut-through. It is after all a residential street with no immediate access to major north-south routes at either end. David Terrace and South Road should ideally carry all but local access traffic in this area.

rubberman
Legendary Member!
Posts: 1300
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2007 10:32 pm
Location: ADL ex DRW, ASP, MGB
Has thanked: 141 times
Been thanked: 229 times

Re: News & Discussion: Roads & Traffic

#1078 Post by rubberman » Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:27 pm

Goodsy wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:49 am
rubberman wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:43 am
Norman wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:57 pm
They could always make it a contraflow... a lot cheaper than rebuilding the whole thing.
The hidden problem also is that immediately any major work is done, everyone expects the gold plating. So, it wouldn't stop at widening. There would then be insistence on more excavation for gentler approach slopes, and a median, and a footpath. An extra metre of width would make a huge difference and might be affordable. The whole gold plated catastrophe of widening, gentler slopes, a median and footpaths? Well, there's probably higher priorities for that sort of money.
Those aren't expectations, those are regulations
In which case, the regulations reduce the chances of an upgrade ever being economic vs the options of "do nothing" or making it one way, or closing it altogether. Too bad, so sad then. A great example of the old saying: "The perfect is the enemy of the good." Plus, of course, nobody could ever consider altering the regulations if those alterations allowed an economic solution, could they?

User avatar
English Electric
Sen-Rookie-Sational
Posts: 22
Joined: Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:41 pm
Been thanked: 8 times

Re: News & Discussion: Roads & Traffic

#1079 Post by English Electric » Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:25 pm

Llessur2002 wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:51 am
Presumably the simpler and cheaper alternative is to discourage drivers from using Rosetta Street as a north-south cut-through. It is after all a residential street with no immediate access to major north-south routes at either end. David Terrace and South Road should ideally carry all but local access traffic in this area.
Another cheaper alternative to re-building and widening is the method used at many locations in the UK which have bridges under railways (and occasionally even canals) which were built way too narrow for modern traffic needs....

Install traffic lights to make the underpass alternating one-way.

Hopefully with some sort of active detection, so the lone car doesn't need to wait for the lights to dutifully plod through their cycle at 3am, plus a red light camera either side so the infrastructure will pay for itself pretty quickly.

As well as preventing vehicles hitting each other or the underpass walls, lights would discourage traffic which doesn't really need to go down Rosetta St to find an alternative route.

[edit]Just saw Norman's post #1074 - is this what you meant by "contraflow"?

User avatar
Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member
Posts: 5682
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2007 1:06 pm
Has thanked: 770 times
Been thanked: 1387 times

Re: News & Discussion: Roads & Traffic

#1080 Post by Norman » Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:09 pm

English Electric wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:25 pm
[edit]Just saw Norman's post #1074 - is this what you meant by "contraflow"?
That's right, it would be the cheapest and most effective way to go for this small residential street.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests