News & Discussion: Roads & Traffic

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

Re: News & Discussion: Road Issues & Traffic Congestion

#1066 Post by rev » Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:20 pm

ChillyPhilly wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:45 pm
I enjoyed this interesting, anecdotal read on Grand Junction Road.

https://indaily.com.au/opinion/2018/03/ ... long-road/
So you know what I like best about GJ?

Go on, ask me.

It’s that you don’t need to turn a single corner to get to the other end. Simple, no fuss. And idiot-proof. Like a whole city putting its faith in a fish.

I read all that, just for this conclusion? :lol:

rhino
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#1067 Post by rhino » Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:22 pm

ChillyPhilly wrote:

I enjoyed it too. Rather eccentric :lol:
cheers,
Rhino

drsmith
Legendary Member!

#1068 Post by drsmith » Fri Mar 30, 2018 3:17 pm

An amusing read but I note no mention of the Superway structure towering over the top at South Road. The decoration in the design was perhaps not in keeping with the overall tone of the article.

Brucetiki
Legendary Member!

#1069 Post by Brucetiki » Sat Mar 31, 2018 3:29 pm

ChillyPhilly wrote:

One of the worst pieces of writing I've ever seen on InDaily (and that includes Malcolm King's drivel).

The bit around Hope Valley was so long and convoluted, that by the time we actually hit Gepps Cross the writer clearly realises 'shit I have about 50 words left lets just rush the rest of the road'.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#1070 Post by monotonehell » Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:15 am

Brucetiki wrote:
Sat Mar 31, 2018 3:29 pm
ChillyPhilly wrote:

One of the worst pieces of writing I've ever seen on InDaily (and that includes Malcolm King's drivel).

The bit around Hope Valley was so long and convoluted, that by the time we actually hit Gepps Cross the writer clearly realises 'shit I have about 50 words left lets just rush the rest of the road'.
Orrrrr it could be that Hope Valley is the most interesting and densely packed part of the journey, I mean have you seen the abandoned milk depot? It's been there a long time.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

rev

Re: News & Discussion: Roads & Traffic

#1071 Post by rev » Sat Aug 04, 2018 3:40 pm

Rosetta Street, West Croydon. The underpass.

I'm sure I'm not the only one whose witnessed sedans clip the side wall and lose a mirror...

There's a trend towards big SUV's on the one end, and small hatches on the other.

The underpass needs a bit of widening. It's extremely narrow, and even though it's 40km/h through it, it's unsafe, particularly at night time when there's an SUV or 4WD coming at it/down it/back up...they are not only wider and therefore a very tight and hard squeeze through the underpass, the fact they are higher off the ground means their headlights are hitting you right in the face, blinding you.
Tight narrow passage way, can't see where you're going...great success :banana:

May have been adequate in decades gone by, but it needs an upgrade. It's only a small underpass so it shouldn't impact train services for too long.

It will also be interesting to see how traffic flows change once T2T is finished. Peak hour through Rosetta Street is a nightmare and I've seen it almost bumper to bumper through all those round-about's from Torrens Road to Port Road.

metro
Legendary Member!

#1072 Post by metro » Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:31 pm

I think it's just some people don't know how to drive. The lanes in the underpass are 2.7m wide, the average SUV and 4WD is about 2m wide, our standard road lanes are a very generous 3.5m.

In the suburbs there's less than 2.7m on some streets when there are cars parked both sides. Getting though tight spaces is just one of the things motorists have to deal with when driving.

rev

#1073 Post by rev » Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:13 pm

metro wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:31 pm
I think it's just some people don't know how to drive. The lanes in the underpass are 2.7m wide, the average SUV and 4WD is about 2m wide, our standard road lanes are a very generous 3.5m.
You've gone out and measured the width of the underpass with your tape measure or...?

There's no kerb in there..
Getting though tight spaces is just one of the things motorists have to deal with when driving.
How many underpasses with walls on one side and a little white dividing painted line are there in Adelaide? It's hardly common place.
There's a trend to bigger, wider cars..

Anyway, there's some work that's going to happen in the area..just not a widening of the underpass..unfortunately.
The project will include:

• full road reconstruction within the roadway from Torrens Road to Day Terrace
• kerb and gutter repairs (both sides) to improve street drainage
• minor stormwater drainage upgrades to assist flow of stormwater
• upgrade to roundabout. Trees will remain
• footpath repairs (where needed)
• reconstruction of kerb access ramps to DDA (Disability Discrimination Act) compliant with tactile pavers to improve accessibility for the elderly and mobility impaired.

The works are anticipated to commence in August 2019 with an estimated completion date of February 2019 due to the length of the road and complexity of the project.
https://www.charlessturt.sa.gov.au/page ... 92&c=57442

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#1074 Post by Norman » Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:57 pm

They could always make it a contraflow... a lot cheaper than rebuilding the whole thing.

rubberman

#1075 Post by rubberman » Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:43 am

Norman wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:57 pm
They could always make it a contraflow... a lot cheaper than rebuilding the whole thing.
The hidden problem also is that immediately any major work is done, everyone expects the gold plating. So, it wouldn't stop at widening. There would then be insistence on more excavation for gentler approach slopes, and a median, and a footpath. An extra metre of width would make a huge difference and might be affordable. The whole gold plated catastrophe of widening, gentler slopes, a median and footpaths? Well, there's probably higher priorities for that sort of money.

Goodsy
Legendary Member!

#1076 Post by Goodsy » Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:49 am

rubberman wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:43 am
Norman wrote:
The hidden problem also is that immediately any major work is done, everyone expects the gold plating. So, it wouldn't stop at widening. There would then be insistence on more excavation for gentler approach slopes, and a median, and a footpath. An extra metre of width would make a huge difference and might be affordable. The whole gold plated catastrophe of widening, gentler slopes, a median and footpaths? Well, there's probably higher priorities for that sort of money.
Those aren't expectations, those are regulations

Llessur2002

#1077 Post by Llessur2002 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:51 am

Presumably the simpler and cheaper alternative is to discourage drivers from using Rosetta Street as a north-south cut-through. It is after all a residential street with no immediate access to major north-south routes at either end. David Terrace and South Road should ideally carry all but local access traffic in this area.

rubberman

#1078 Post by rubberman » Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:27 pm

Goodsy wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:49 am
rubberman wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:43 am
Norman wrote:
Those aren't expectations, those are regulations
In which case, the regulations reduce the chances of an upgrade ever being economic vs the options of "do nothing" or making it one way, or closing it altogether. Too bad, so sad then. A great example of the old saying: "The perfect is the enemy of the good." Plus, of course, nobody could ever consider altering the regulations if those alterations allowed an economic solution, could they?

English Electric
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#1079 Post by English Electric » Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:25 pm

Llessur2002 wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:51 am
Presumably the simpler and cheaper alternative is to discourage drivers from using Rosetta Street as a north-south cut-through. It is after all a residential street with no immediate access to major north-south routes at either end. David Terrace and South Road should ideally carry all but local access traffic in this area.
Another cheaper alternative to re-building and widening is the method used at many locations in the UK which have bridges under railways (and occasionally even canals) which were built way too narrow for modern traffic needs....

Install traffic lights to make the underpass alternating one-way.

Hopefully with some sort of active detection, so the lone car doesn't need to wait for the lights to dutifully plod through their cycle at 3am, plus a red light camera either side so the infrastructure will pay for itself pretty quickly.

As well as preventing vehicles hitting each other or the underpass walls, lights would discourage traffic which doesn't really need to go down Rosetta St to find an alternative route.

[edit]Just saw Norman's post #1074 - is this what you meant by "contraflow"?

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#1080 Post by Norman » Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:09 pm

English Electric wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:25 pm
[edit]Just saw Norman's post #1074 - is this what you meant by "contraflow"?
That's right, it would be the cheapest and most effective way to go for this small residential street.