The SA Politics Thread

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.
crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

Re: The SA Politics Thread

#946 Post by crawf » Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:47 pm

^^I didn't see 80% of that in the budget papers :?

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#947 Post by rev » Wed Sep 05, 2018 2:20 pm

crawf wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:47 pm
It was from AdelaideNow.

A little birdy told me they may want to privatize TafeSA in the very near future. :secret:
ServiceSA and a few other departments like the housing sa will likely be privatized as well. Labor already privatized the Land Titles office, and had plans to privatize the Motor Reg service, not sure if it's going ahead or if already has. Not sure about Consumer and Business Services.

how good is he
Legendary Member!

#948 Post by how good is he » Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:34 pm

I thought eliminating the $20m for neighbourhood grants was really stingy. In the past it helped worthwhile “grass root” causes that helped the community and its most basic needs ie new womens (& umpires) change rooms for the local footy club when they were male only.
Last edited by how good is he on Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:23 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Waewick
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#949 Post by Waewick » Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:35 pm

rev wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 2:20 pm
crawf wrote:
It was from AdelaideNow.

A little birdy told me they may want to privatize TafeSA in the very near future. :secret:
ServiceSA and a few other departments like the housing sa will likely be privatized as well. Labor already privatized the Land Titles office, and had plans to privatize the Motor Reg service, not sure if it's going ahead or if already has. Not sure about Consumer and Business Services.
Literally every time there is a Liberal Government there is priviatisation rumours (which in context of our state labor is pretty funny).

It wouldn't suprise me if they didn't want to privatise Tafe though, that entity has just had a huge hit to its credibility. Could it be setup similar to a university? assuming they are privatised.

Waewick

#950 Post by Waewick » Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:37 pm

how good is he wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:47 am
I don’t want to get in a political debate but just curious on the forums thoughts on the state Lib govt so far. Obviously it’s too short a time period to pass any real judgement as it’s just 1/8 into their term. Most notable to me though is the lack of announcements though. Some may see this as a good thing as some said the previous govt was addicted to announcements. For me (and I’m not sure if it’s withdrawal symptoms from the previous Labour Govt’s regular announcements) but feel the Libs have done nothing/announced nothing new of any real significance to date. I get it that the budget is still to come and stay tuned....but I have also read the first 100 day plan by the Libs and am curious to see how much of what they proposed actually happens. I also know a lot of what was proposed was made conditional.
Some notable pre election statements like infrastructure SA, first $20m for the Glenelg Jetty $110m development, the major rail diversion and 24/7 freight airport, right hand tram turn - what’s the chance of these or others things actually happening vs just being analysed?
given they have and will fail to pass their two key measures (shop deregulation and council rate capping) they are a fail at the moment.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#951 Post by rev » Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:27 pm

Waewick wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:35 pm
rev wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 2:20 pm
crawf wrote:
It was from AdelaideNow.

Literally every time there is a Liberal Government there is priviatisation rumours (which in context of our state labor is pretty funny).

It wouldn't suprise me if they didn't want to privatise Tafe though, that entity has just had a huge hit to its credibility. Could it be setup similar to a university? assuming they are privatised.
True, but that's probably because the Liberals do most of the privatizing..
The latest "rumor" is that they'll be privatizing health services at hospitals..
Too late IMHO, a lot of services in hospitals are already provided/operated by private providers/corps.
The new RAH is a public-private venture as well. Everything except the doctors, and "most" of the nursing is done by Spotless and whoever they are subbing out to. It's been a brilliantly coordinated disaster so far lol. The "service" provided so far has been far from being up to scratch. For a variety of reasons, none of which are politically correct to talk about in the current climate.
If you think people dying because of the ramping crisis is bad, wait till people start dying because of what private providers are or are not doing.
They keep talking about the spread of super bugs resistant to antibiotics...aint seen nothing yet, trust me....if they don't take action to fix things.

A lot of nurses are from private agencies too.

What I do agree with them doing though is the slashing of public sector jobs. I know for a fact how Labor have operated in this regard, and how many of those people came to be in the public sector jobs/roles they are in. Hopefully what the Liberals do is target those people, because they are the ones who least deserve to be on the public tit. :secret:

claybro

#952 Post by claybro » Thu Sep 06, 2018 2:13 pm

rev wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:27 pm
What I do agree with them doing though is the slashing of public sector jobs. I know for a fact how Labor have operated in this regard, and how many of those people came to be in the public sector jobs/roles they are in. Hopefully what the Liberals do is target those people, because they are the ones who least deserve to be on the public tit.
SA has by far the highest per capita number of public servants, so yes, an "adjustment" is in order. It has to be a fine balancing act though....don't want to cut so deep as to slow the economy, with the loss of well paying, stable jobs and the taxes and economic activity they create, just when the SA economy has gained momentum and SA is on the middle rung of performers, instead of the usual basement level.

Waewick

#953 Post by Waewick » Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:26 pm

I thought the Libs were only cutting something like 300 more jobs more than Labor over the same time? also nearly half of those are due to the NDIS ?

perhaps just a different 4000?

Will409
Legendary Member!

#954 Post by Will409 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:42 pm

I wasn’t sure where to post this within the Transport and Infrastructure section so I will post it here. It looks like the former CEO of Great Southern Rail Tony Braxton-Smith will be taking the reigns of DPTI.

https://indaily.com.au/news/local/2018/ ... -new-boss/

Goodsy
Legendary Member!

#955 Post by Goodsy » Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:02 pm

Will409 wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:42 pm
I wasn’t sure where to post this within the Transport and Infrastructure section so I will post it here. It looks like the former CEO of Great Southern Rail Tony Braxton-Smith will be taking the reigns of DPTI.

https://indaily.com.au/news/local/2018/ ... -new-boss/
Well I'd rather the former CEO of GSR than the former CEO of Transurban. I still would rathered they looked for someone who has experience with city scale public transport

Waewick

#956 Post by Waewick » Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:46 pm

What's this ICAC and renewal SA stuff?

Doesn't sound great.

Mpol03
Legendary Member!

#957 Post by Mpol03 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:19 am

Peter Malinauskas is an absolute babe.
Daddy 01 for SA 2020 (or whenever it is.)

[Shuz]

#958 Post by [Shuz] » Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:00 pm

omfg wot.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

how good is he
Legendary Member!

#959 Post by how good is he » Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:31 am

Q. The State Lib Govt have;
a) done very little so far and am nervous if it continues
b) have been prudent in trying to cut costs and/or not increase debt. Further they have been too busy cleaning up Labour’s mess
c) too early to tell, it’s only been 6 months
d) all of the above

Goodsy
Legendary Member!

#960 Post by Goodsy » Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:58 pm

Abbott's budget mastermind to helm Marshall's Infrastructure SA

The man who chaired the former Abbott Government’s ‘razor-gang’ that informed its controversial 2014 federal budget has been appointed to oversee Steven Marshall’s inaugural Infrastructure SA board – but the Premier says his government won’t be bound by its recommendations.

https://indaily.com.au/news/local/2018/ ... ucture-sa/