News & Developments: Port Adelaide

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
Kasey771
Legendary Member!

News & Developments: Port Adelaide

#751 Post by Kasey771 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:44 am

Ben wrote:9 Level building next to Quest

https://www.saplanningcommission.sa.gov ... 053-18.pdf
So that's the end of the Port Dock fisherman’s wharf? markets then?Image

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Last edited by Kasey771 on Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Big infrastructure investments are usually under-valued and & over-criticized while in the planning stage. It's much easier to envision the here and now costs and inconveniences, and far more difficult to imagine fully the eventual benefits.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

Re: News & Developments: Port Adelaide

#752 Post by SRW » Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:37 am

It only demolishes a small portion from the western end of the markets, which has the benefit of creating an 8 metre wide passage to the waterfront between the sheds and the new building. What's disappointing is that the new building has ground level parking on sides but the waterfront. I understand there's probably not much demand for retail space but perhaps some of the communal/retirement living facilities could have been located at ground. That said, I do like the use of recycled red brick, timber and steel in the design and it'll bring need residents to the Port core.
Keep Adelaide Weird

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#753 Post by crawf » Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:43 pm

I really like the design.

More of this please.

Patrick_27
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#754 Post by Patrick_27 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:44 pm

With the redevelopment of Port Canal Shopping Centre, I'd love to see them close Port Mall Shopping Centre and integrate a Foodland into what would be the remainder of this fishing shed, create a Plant 4 style markets. To avoid the car parking issues, they could simply build carparks below the building's existing footprint.

Nort

#755 Post by Nort » Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:28 pm

Patrick_27 wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:44 pm
With the redevelopment of Port Canal Shopping Centre, I'd love to see them close Port Mall Shopping Centre and integrate a Foodland into what would be the remainder of this fishing shed, create a Plant 4 style markets. To avoid the car parking issues, they could simply build carparks below the building's existing footprint.
I'm not quite sure that right next to the Port River would be the easiest place to dig out a large basement.

Mpol03
Legendary Member!

#756 Post by Mpol03 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:03 pm

I feel an Eat Street Market set-up as seen in Brisbane would be hugely successful in this area.
Winter fest is basically a small version of it already, but you would use old shipping containers to house the eateries, include live music and entertainment and have food from all over. It’s a great energy and I feel we could successfully house our own version. There could even be ferry rides up the river through the summer, much like the gin boat we have on the Torrens.

This would happen over the weekends, with parts of it open through the week to allow for activation on a continued basis.

baytram366
High Rise Poster!

#757 Post by baytram366 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:23 am

With all these plans to slowly eat away / demolish the current market shed, has there been any plans for the blank spot that was left by the other shed being demolished about 10+ years ago on the right side of the lighthouse? I don't understand why anyone would want to demolish more of Port Adelaide when there is already blank blocks left behind for years from previous buildings
Baytram 366's Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/34520752@N07/collections

how good is he
Legendary Member!

#758 Post by how good is he » Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:52 am

Obviously it’s different owners and each can do as they please. I think the vacant block you refer to was advertised a while back but not sure if it was ever sold or if RenewalSA owns it. It has been used for community events etc in the past..but yes rarely.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#759 Post by SRW » Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:19 am

The government should buy that vacant lot and build a state aquarium. The Melbourne Aquarium is one of most popular attractions in that city, so that level of activity would be brilliant to replicate for the Port - especially as it’s in keeping with its maritime heritage.
Keep Adelaide Weird

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#760 Post by crawf » Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:07 am

SRW wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:19 am
The government should buy that vacant lot and build a state aquarium. The Melbourne Aquarium is one of most popular attractions in that city, so that level of activity would be brilliant to replicate for the Port - especially as it’s in keeping with its maritime heritage.
I'd like to see a brand new Maritime Museum built along the waterfront, including the restoration of the City of Adelaide ship.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#761 Post by rev » Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:38 am

Decision time for $30m waterfront retirement tower
Ashleigh Pisani, Portside Weekly Messenger
October 16, 2018 2:43pm
Subscriber only

PLANS for a controversial $30 million high-density retirement complex on the Port Adelaide waterfront are now being assessed by the state planning authority.

Developer Hans Ehmann has lodged plans for an eight-storey apartment complex, called Dock 27, next to his $25 million Quest Hotel overlooking the Port River.

The proposed development includes 58 two-bedroom apartments and 14 three-bedroom apartments as well as 99 car parks across four levels for retirees.

The ground floor is expected to house retail stores or cafes.

Mr Ehmann said the building would “blend in seamlessly with the unique and distinctive architecture of Port Adelaide”.

“(Residents) will make Port Adelaide pulse seven days a week and transform the concept of residency in Port Adelaide from unconventional to aspirational,” he said.

“If all goes according to plan, we could eventually see Port Adelaide’s laneways fill with cafes and bars as they have in Melbourne.”

The Fisherman’s Wharf Markets where Hans Ehmann's $30 million aged care home is set to be built.

The Dock 27 development has attracted controversy as it exceeds the five-storey limit specified in the area’s development plan and will kickstart the demolition of the Fishermen’s Wharf market shed, which has been approved to come down in stages.

The shed was built in 1953 and was the subject of a failed bid for state heritage listing in 2016.

Port Adelaide MP Susan Close said she was “all for developing Port Adelaide” but that we needed to “get it right”.

“Many locals will be greatly concerned about what this means for the Fishermen’s markets and iconic wharf shed,” Dr Close said

“I would also be concerned about any loss of the public promenade.”

Dr Close said she had written to Planning Minister Stephan Knoll to request these conditions were met before approval was given.

Some locals have also disapproved of the plan, saying eight storeys was “way too high” and that they feared noise complaints from residents would kill off the Port’s growing festival scene.

Music festivals have recently been held in the Port and it hosted the Winterfest in July.

“I would love to see the wharf shed restored and developed to create a thriving community hub that still has room for the markets,” Karena Colquhoun, from the Port Guide traders’ group, said. “Something like Plant 4 (at Bowden) would be amazing and benefit everyone, not just a few.”
https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/messenge ... 6549916af7

Fark that crappy shed off already.
Too bad it's a retirement complex that's proposed. I mean yeh, a bunch of geriatric pensioners are really going to liven up the Port. :wallbash:

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#762 Post by Norman » Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:17 am

rev wrote:
Decision time for $30m waterfront retirement tower
Ashleigh Pisani, Portside Weekly Messenger
October 16, 2018 2:43pm
Subscriber only

PLANS for a controversial $30 million high-density retirement complex on the Port Adelaide waterfront are now being assessed by the state planning authority.

Developer Hans Ehmann has lodged plans for an eight-storey apartment complex, called Dock 27, next to his $25 million Quest Hotel overlooking the Port River.

The proposed development includes 58 two-bedroom apartments and 14 three-bedroom apartments as well as 99 car parks across four levels for retirees.

The ground floor is expected to house retail stores or cafes.

Mr Ehmann said the building would “blend in seamlessly with the unique and distinctive architecture of Port Adelaide”.

“(Residents) will make Port Adelaide pulse seven days a week and transform the concept of residency in Port Adelaide from unconventional to aspirational,” he said.

“If all goes according to plan, we could eventually see Port Adelaide’s laneways fill with cafes and bars as they have in Melbourne.”

The Fisherman’s Wharf Markets where Hans Ehmann's $30 million aged care home is set to be built.

The Dock 27 development has attracted controversy as it exceeds the five-storey limit specified in the area’s development plan and will kickstart the demolition of the Fishermen’s Wharf market shed, which has been approved to come down in stages.

The shed was built in 1953 and was the subject of a failed bid for state heritage listing in 2016.

Port Adelaide MP Susan Close said she was “all for developing Port Adelaide” but that we needed to “get it right”.

“Many locals will be greatly concerned about what this means for the Fishermen’s markets and iconic wharf shed,” Dr Close said

“I would also be concerned about any loss of the public promenade.”

Dr Close said she had written to Planning Minister Stephan Knoll to request these conditions were met before approval was given.

Some locals have also disapproved of the plan, saying eight storeys was “way too high” and that they feared noise complaints from residents would kill off the Port’s growing festival scene.

Music festivals have recently been held in the Port and it hosted the Winterfest in July.

“I would love to see the wharf shed restored and developed to create a thriving community hub that still has room for the markets,” Karena Colquhoun, from the Port Guide traders’ group, said. “Something like Plant 4 (at Bowden) would be amazing and benefit everyone, not just a few.”
https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/messenge ... 6549916af7

Too bad it's a retirement complex that's proposed. I mean yeh, a bunch of geriatric pensioners are really going to liven up the Port. :wallbash:
At least the pensioners will be there during the day Image

Pistol
Legendary Member!

#763 Post by Pistol » Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:17 pm

rev wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:38 am

Thought you were already a geriatric pensioner Rev...
Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken

Patrick_27

#764 Post by Patrick_27 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:51 pm

Pistol wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:17 pm
rev wrote:

Thought the same...

[Shuz]

#765 Post by [Shuz] » Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:36 pm

Pistol wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:17 pm
rev wrote:

That's being polite.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.