News & Discussion: Adelaide Metro Buses

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
rubberman
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: News & Discussion: Adelaide Metro Buses

#541 Post by rubberman » Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:54 pm

1NEEDS2POST wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 5:41 pm
claybro wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:33 am
Norman wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:20 am
It would be easier to allow the card readers to accept debit and credit cards.
Presume you mean tapping on with your own credit/debit card? Would it even be possible to programme the machines to charge different amounts for different cards for the same journey ie bank surcharges? And aren't the metro cards able to provide data on travel habits which might be missing from private credit/debit cards? Not sure just how they actually use the system other than fare collection.
If credit cards replace metrocards, could ticket inspectors verify you have paid for a valid ticket?

These days, you can make payments with your phone. Apparently Adelaide Metro has looked into this. https://www.itnews.com.au/news/adelaide ... ort-436267
It might work if the machine spits out a receipt (which is fundamentally what a ticket is), or if there's an app connected which sends confirmation to your mobile (which is slightly different to the mobile app being tried).

I wouldn't trust the ticket spitter not to be vandalised mind you.

ChillyPhilly

#542 Post by ChillyPhilly » Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:46 pm

Adelaide people need to be taught the etiquette of waiting for a bus.

I'm not saying this as a cynical or snide remark. It's a logical thing. Too often people will crowd around the bus door before anyone has had the chance to step off.

People need to wait away from the door, wait for disembarking passengers to step off, and then they can board the bus.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

Westside
High Rise Poster!

#543 Post by Westside » Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:56 am

ChillyPhilly wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:46 pm

I'm not saying this as a cynical or snide remark. It's a logical thing. Too often people will crowd around the bus door before anyone has had the chance to step off.

People need to wait away from the door, wait for disembarking passengers to step off, and then they can board the bus.
Are you kidding? No where else in Australia have I seen the orderly single-file lines at city bus stops, where patrons will step forward from the secondary line to form a primary line as their individual bus arrives. Funnily enough, this seems to only occur for certain suburbs and not all. Tram and train etiquette is another thing tho. But I think that has to do with not knowing where the doors will be when the vehicle pulls up, so you can't form a side-by-side throng adjacent each entry (leaving a gap for disembarking passengers) like with other 'metro' type systems.

[Shuz]

#544 Post by [Shuz] » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:25 am

The etiquette only really seems to apply in the CBD and at peak hour.

At other times it's basically a free for all.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

Eurostar
Legendary Member!

#545 Post by Eurostar » Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:22 am

Westside wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:56 am
ChillyPhilly wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:46 pm

Are you kidding? No where else in Australia have I seen the orderly single-file lines at city bus stops, where patrons will step forward from the secondary line to form a primary line as their individual bus arrives. Funnily enough, this seems to only occur for certain suburbs and not all. Tram and train etiquette is another thing tho. But I think that has to do with not knowing where the doors will be when the vehicle pulls up, so you can't form a side-by-side throng adjacent each entry (leaving a gap for disembarking passengers) like with other 'metro' type systems.
Or how about reminding people to spread the load meaning if its a mutiple railcar train dont all crowd in the front carriage especially during peak hour

Eurostar
Legendary Member!

#546 Post by Eurostar » Sun Aug 26, 2018 2:11 pm

Changes to T bus services at stop 27 Main South Road
From first service on Saturday 1 September, T buses will no longer be able to service stop 27 Main South Road from the city as they will move into the entrance lane to the expressway prior to the stop. This change will be in place for 12 months until further notice.

Passengers will need to board and alight T buses from the previous T bus stop at stop 24A South Road from the city. Alternatively passengers can catch F buses from Stop 27 and transfer onto T bus services at Stop 40 Panalatinga Road.

Signage will be erected at the following locations advising of the changes;

PeFe

#547 Post by PeFe » Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:41 am

1NEEDS2POST
High Rise Poster!

#548 Post by 1NEEDS2POST » Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:38 pm

PeFe wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:41 am
Upcoming bus servies changes..

https://www.adelaidemetro.com.au/Announ ... tober-2018
Good news, a step in the right direction! I don't understand why routes change name as they go through the city. It gives people the impression that the routes terminate in the city.

If you get on the J1/C1 at the airport, it should say "C1 Elizabeth via city," rather than having two names (J1 and C1) for the same route.

PD2/20
High Rise Poster!

#549 Post by PD2/20 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:14 pm

1NEEDS2POST wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:38 pm
PeFe wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:41 am
Upcoming bus servies changes..

https://www.adelaidemetro.com.au/Announ ... tober-2018
Good news, a step in the right direction! I don't understand why routes change name as they go through the city. It gives people the impression that the routes terminate in the city.

If you get on the J1/C1 at the airport, it should say "C1 Elizabeth via city," rather than having two names (J1 and C1) for the same route.
According to the new timetable on the Admet website, J1/J2 are used for the linked through city routes and C1/C2 for services on OBahn to/from the city.

One reason for having separate route names for the two halves of linked routes is that it allows changes to be made to the way routes are through linked without having to change the route names. See how the present B10 route will revert to 110/112 in the west and 106 in the east so that different linking arrangements can be implemented.

PeFe

#550 Post by PeFe » Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:21 pm

Adelaide bus route numbering is a mess......neither consistent nor simple......some bus routes show "one" number in and out of the city, some bus routes one "into" the city and then another number "out" of the city.

Some routes use letters to indicate they run on a major road then use the same letter for a different major road......

How about we adopt a standard world wide practice of a single number for "one" bus route bus, with different termini to show direction of travel
ie G10 would become Route 182, showing Flinders University as the destination (when travelling south) and Blair Athol when travelling north ( all destos of course "via the city") on this route.

The letter thing really would work better if all "G" buses for example, just used Goodwood Rd in and out of the city, and ran nowhere nowhere else, then at least a letter tells you that all G buses use Goodwood road......not Prospect Road as well beacause Prospect doesn't start with a "G".

ChillyPhilly

#551 Post by ChillyPhilly » Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:30 pm

The issue is that our PT network is still too centralised, based around the outwardly radiating 'spines' from the CBD.

I'd have liked to see more changes to buses, including a greater emphasis on redesigning some to link with railway stations.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

OlympusAnt
High Rise Poster!

#552 Post by OlympusAnt » Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:54 pm

The whole network needs to be redrawn and renumbered from scratch.
Follow me on Flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/135625678@N06/

SBD

#553 Post by SBD » Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:04 pm

PeFe wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:21 pm
Adelaide bus route numbering is a mess......neither consistent nor simple......some bus routes show "one" number in and out of the city, some bus routes one "into" the city and then another number "out" of the city.

Some routes use letters to indicate they run on a major road then use the same letter for a different major road......

How about we adopt a standard world wide practice of a single number for "one" bus route bus, with different termini to show direction of travel
ie G10 would become Route 182, showing Flinders University as the destination (when travelling south) and Blair Athol when travelling north ( all destos of course "via the city") on this route.

The letter thing really would work better if all "G" buses for example, just used Goodwood Rd in and out of the city, and ran nowhere nowhere else, then at least a letter tells you that all G buses use Goodwood road......not Prospect Road as well beacause Prospect doesn't start with a "G".
The letter used to represent the stopping pattern (I haven't used buses to the CBD for a long time, so my information might be out of date). Back when I cared, X did not stop in the inner suburbs - eXpress; F was set-down only inbound and pick up only outbound - Faster. There were three or four route numbers that differed in the last digit for "roughly" the same route. xx1 only covered the inner suburbs, xx4(X) took a fairly direct route to the last few suburbs of the route and only ran at high peak times, xx5(F) took a slightly longer route between the last few and the next-to-last few. I think there might have been xx2 and xx3 that only served those intermediate suburbs (they didn't go where I wanted, so I've forgotten).

jorcoga
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#554 Post by jorcoga » Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:03 am

Letters at the end of routes are definitely still a thing, as well as X and F buses sometimes it indicates that the bus terminates early - as an example the 300M runs from Arndale to Marion instead of doing the entire loop. It's the letters at the start that don't seem to have any real rhyme or reason to them - why are my bus options to the city from where I live the B10/12 or the 115/7/8? Why is, say, the G10 called that by virtue of running down Goodwood Road, and why aren't, say the 15x buses that run down Port Road the P5x buses? Why has no one realised how confusing it is that the H2x/H3x buses take connected routes through the West and then go in several radically different directions along different arterials in the East? Why do the routes with a letter signifying a main road they go down not change numbers when they go through the city when the numbered routes do, even though the opposite would make more sense - calling it the M44 when it's running down Marion Road makes sense but not when it's weaving through the back streets of Golden Grove?

1NEEDS2POST
High Rise Poster!

#555 Post by 1NEEDS2POST » Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:20 pm

OlympusAnt wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:54 pm
The whole network needs to be redrawn and renumbered from scratch.
There is so much room for improvement. Redesigning the bus network will be the best value for money improvement to public transport.

Adelaide's road network is an easy to understand grid. Not many other cities are so simple. Yet our bus network is a nightmare with so many squiggly routes that are slow and infrequent. Just look at it: https://adelaidemetro.com.au/Timetables-Maps/Network There are few connections between routes and between buses and trains or trams.

It's time to rip up the bus network and redesign it as a grid. Of course, the details of certain parts of the network may not be a grid. This will make routes more frequent and most trips will be faster. It will also make it easy to travel to destinations outside of the city.

As for route numbering, it should be simple. North-south buses are numbered 0-499 from east to west and east-west buses are numbered 500-999 from north to south, like this: