[U/C] M2 North-South Motorway

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

[U/C] Re: [U/C] Re: North-South Motorway

#3121 Post by rev » Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:23 pm

Waewick wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:21 pm
I know of a person who aquired land for a development, but it was the compulsory aquired.

They paid him what the land was valued at, not my he thought the land was worth as a development site.

I can only wonder at the cost of aquiring land along the eastern corridor of Portrush road would be though.
You know, the government could do quite a bit to drive down prices and make an area less desirable.
It might be pricey to buy property/land along Portrush Road today, but in 5-10 years, it might not be so pricey and many businesses and buildings could be sitting empty on their way to being derelict.

Brucetiki
Legendary Member!

[U/C] Re: North-South Motorway

#3122 Post by Brucetiki » Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:29 pm

Aidan wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:16 pm
Patrick_27 wrote:Why do people like you have to be an arsehole about it? I would love to see your property that you've worked your whole life to own, renovate and make a home be acquired below its market value for a project like this.
AIUI it would be unconstitutional for property to be acquired for below market value, yet you're the second person today I've encountered apparently claiming the government do so. Am I missing something?
I thought The Castle would've taught everyone that!

Nort
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#3123 Post by Nort » Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:35 pm

rev wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:23 pm
Waewick wrote:
I know of a person who aquired land for a development, but it was the compulsory aquired.

They paid him what the land was valued at, not my he thought the land was worth as a development site.

I can only wonder at the cost of aquiring land along the eastern corridor of Portrush road would be though.
You know, the government could do quite a bit to drive down prices and make an area less desirable.
It might be pricey to buy property/land along Portrush Road today, but in 5-10 years, it might not be so pricey and many businesses and buildings could be sitting empty on their way to being derelict.
I've seen you suggest the strategy before, and it's utter madness. No the government shouldn't intentionally drive down the quality of an area to make development cheaper down the line.

SBD

#3124 Post by SBD » Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:29 am

Waewick wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:52 am
Government acquisitions aren't very subtle.

You get a letter telling you your property is being acquired, then you are told how much (then there is mediation).

In the context of buying along a corridor, i would have thought telling people their house maybe a road in 10 years is going to make it difficult to sell to anyone else but the Government, so any thought of a bidding war isn't going to cut it.
Committing to buy at any cost well in advance of construction would lead to heavy rises in acquisition costs.

Registering a formal notice of a future intent would tend to suppress prices, but not make them collapse completely, so the owner at the time of the notice is not completely destroyed, but the cost to the government is also not artificially elevated. It sounds like a good solution, especially if they are a long way out. Prospective buyers have an idea of what they are getting themselves into. It explains why properties along those corridors tend to have "a certain look" by the time they get to the point of being acquired.

ml69
Legendary Member!

#3125 Post by ml69 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:20 am

There's a story on adelaidenow.com.au that consultants are going to investigate a business case for bored tunnel option to complete the NS Motorway between T2T and Darlington, as the land acquisition costs alone are estimated at around $1BN (which could quite conceivably go much higher).

Bored tunnel will also be much less disruptive to the many existing businesses on that stretch of South Rd.

I seemed to remember reading an article a couple of months ago saying that there are new tunnelling technologies are more cost effective now. Can't remember the details.

muzzamo
Legendary Member!

#3126 Post by muzzamo » Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:23 am

COMPANIES helping to build major tunnels in Sydney, the US and India have been enlisted to help decide if Adelaide’s South Rd upgrade puzzle should be solved by going underground.

Transport Minister Stephan Knoll has confirmed the appointment of Price Waterhouse Coopers to develop a business case for the remaining 10.5km of upgrades to Adelaide’s major motorway.

A team led by companies SMEC, WSP and Tunnelling Solutions will study the viability of going below ground, amid fears of major disruption and land purchase costs if a traditional road widening upgrade goes ahead.

The State Budget handed down last month included $5.5 million for the new South Rd design work as the clock ticks down on the Federal Government’s push for a non-stop freeway between Gawler to Old Noarlunga by 2024.

The State Government in May committed to the Regency Rd to Pym St upgrade, which will complete a 47km non-stop free flow roadway between Gawler and the River Torrens.

That still leaves two “bundles”, immediately north and south of Anzac Hwy.

Mr Knoll said he was moving as quickly as possible to slot in the “last piece” of the “North-South corridor puzzle”.

“Investing in our roads reduces traffic congestion and travel times and builds a more productive road network for freight and business,” he said.

SMEC is working on the Sydney Metro Northwest project, which is to start construction next year in the first stage of what is to become Australia’s biggest public transport project.

It will include 15km twin tunnels between Bella Vista and Epping.

WSP designed the Alaskan Way Viaduct Replacement in the US city of Seattle, the largest diameter tunnel in the world.

Opening next year, the 3.2km tunnel will take freeway traffic beneath Seattle’s downtown district.

Tunnelling Solutions assisted with the Chennai Metro Rail Project in India and its directors boast lengthy experience on builds including England’s Channel Tunnel.

A South Rd planning study released by the Federal Government in 2015 estimated a cost of $596 million for land purchases alone before heavy construction could start on upgrading the road from Gallipoli Underpass to Darlington.

A further $375 million was estimated to buy land north of Anzac Hwy so work could start to reach the recently opened Torrens to Torrens upgrade.

The Federal Government has promised $1.2 million to help finish South Rd.

However, the final cost is expected to be much higher and require state taxpayers to inject more cash.

There are also question marks over when the promised federal money will be released.

aaronjameslange
Gold-Member ;)

#3127 Post by aaronjameslange » Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:44 am

muzzamo wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:23 am
Talk about completing on a budget
$1.2 million will buy you 3 or 4 houses to demolish. Thanks for tjat federal government

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#3128 Post by crawf » Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:05 am

aaronjameslange wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:44 am
muzzamo wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:23 am
Talk about completing on a budget
$1.2 million will buy you 3 or 4 houses to demolish. Thanks for tjat federal government
I feel that is a typo. It should read, $1.2 billion

how good is he
Legendary Member!

#3129 Post by how good is he » Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:40 am

I am trying to estimate the cost of doing the remaining section with a 10.5 km tunnel. This is the info below I have found on the web but are from older articles.
Does anyone know the current approx cost per KM with the tunnelling savings the Govt refers?

A report produced by the McKell Institute and funded by the NRMA has found that ..Tunnelling for road or rail costs 26 per cent more than in Britain, and 38 per cent more than in the United States.
The Brisbane Cross River rail project was estimated to cost about US$215m per kilometre, while the London CrossRail line, considered to be an exceptionally complex urban heavy rail project, was US$180m per kilometre. The California high speed rail project was only US$50m per kilometre. The report says that high labour costs are not to blame, but that skill shortages and the mobility of the workforce add costs. It recommends that there should be a national trade licensing system within the construction industry to encourage workers to move to projects.

Melbourne’s giant East West Link road project is shaping up to cost $1 billion a kilometre and Sydney’s WestConnex $473 million a kilometre.
Brisbane’s Airport Link cost $747 million a kilometre and Sydney’s Cross City Tunnel was constructed at a capital cost per kilometre at $476 million.
Melbourne’s CityLink had a capital cost of $100 million a kilometre and Sydney’s Westlink M7 had a capital cost of $58 million.
Direct comparisons are fraught as some projects are still in the planning stage, others were completed some time ago and the more costly projects have high tunnelling costs.

rev

#3130 Post by rev » Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:19 pm

Nort wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:35 pm
rev wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:23 pm
Waewick wrote:

I've seen you suggest the strategy before, and it's utter madness. No the government shouldn't intentionally drive down the quality of an area to make development cheaper down the line.
Have I? I don't recall. I'll take your word for it.

1NEEDS2POST
High Rise Poster!

#3131 Post by 1NEEDS2POST » Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:41 pm

I don't see why it needs to be a bored tunnel. Essentially what they're doing is putting a road beneath a road, so why not a cut and cover tunnel?

Goodsy
Legendary Member!

#3132 Post by Goodsy » Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:49 pm

1NEEDS2POST wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:41 pm
I don't see why it needs to be a bored tunnel. Essentially what they're doing is putting a road beneath a road, so why not a cut and cover tunnel?
Because we'd want any freeway grade road along there to be wider than Portrush Road currently is. Doing that you'd need to acquire property on one side or the other, and cut off everyone's driveway access while they dig out the road

rev

#3133 Post by rev » Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:20 pm

Goodsy wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:49 pm
1NEEDS2POST wrote:
Because we'd want any freeway grade road along there to be wider than Portrush Road currently is. Doing that you'd need to acquire property on one side or the other, and cut off everyone's driveway access while they dig out the road
There'd also be less disruptions to traffic on South Road.

Even with a tunnel, especially one that is 10.5km long, they're going to need to acquire some property still.
Will the tunnel have any entry/exit points along it's route, or just at either end?
Also, with modern tunnels and the safety measures built in, there'd need to be some above ground facilities and services built.

A billion dollars to acquire properties, or a tunnel. Personally I think if it comes down to cost, they wont do a tunnel but will continue the trench and acquire properties.
Politically, and what might cost the government votes and a second term in power? then they'll go tunnel, especially if the federal government is going to contribute a substantial amount.

Personally I'm hoping for a tunnel, that has some exit/entry points along the route, but I think a tunnel is highly unlikely.

claybro

#3134 Post by claybro » Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:48 pm

Goodsy wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:49 pm
1NEEDS2POST wrote:
What does Portrush road have to do with the North/South motorway?

kenget
Gold-Member ;)

#3135 Post by kenget » Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:01 pm

rev wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:20 pm
Will the tunnel have any entry/exit points along it's route, or just at either end?
Personally I think Anzac Hwy, Sir Donald Bradman Dr and the City Ring route is a must for having entries/exits. The maybes for me would be Cross Rd, Daws Rd and then the exit near or at Henley Beach Rd.