News & Discussion: Trams

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
Nathan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: News & Discussion: Trams

#3841 Post by Nathan » Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:07 am

Is there something in the water at the moment? For the second time this week I’ve been on a tram when they’ve stopped the line because an idiot has done a U-turn in front of a moving tram.

claybro

#3842 Post by claybro » Thu Nov 22, 2018 12:10 pm

Nathan wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:07 am
Is there something in the water at the moment? For the second time this week I’ve been on a tram when they’ve stopped the line because an idiot has done a U-turn in front of a moving tram.
PT drivers, trams and buses included, should be given the authority to photograph vehicles illegally using bus lanes, clearways and tram lanes and have the image submitted to police for fines and demerit points. It would soon stop.

normh
High Rise Poster!

#3843 Post by normh » Thu Nov 22, 2018 1:22 pm

claybro wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 12:10 pm
Nathan wrote:
PT drivers, trams and buses included, should be given the authority to photograph vehicles illegally using bus lanes, clearways and tram lanes and have the image submitted to police for fines and demerit points. It would soon stop.
They can now if they wish to. Just save their video, send in traffic watch complaint, people do it all the time.

normh
High Rise Poster!

#3844 Post by normh » Thu Nov 22, 2018 1:22 pm

claybro wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 12:10 pm
Nathan wrote:
They can now if they wish to. Just save their video, send in driving complaint, people do it all the time.

edit.
sorry may be not, depends on reporting person perspective I guess, I just found this at https://www.police.sa.gov.au/services-a ... us-driving

When making a report provide the:

time, date and location of the incident
vehicle details, including registration number and description of the vehicle
details of the driving behaviour that you thought was dangerous
contact details of any witnesses.
Be prepared to give your name and contact details.

What is dangerous driving?
Dangerous driving includes:

tailgating
running red lights
speeding
burnouts
donuts
snaking.

Llessur2002

#3845 Post by Llessur2002 » Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:50 am

Taken from an otherwise fairly dreary opinion piece in the Advertiser:
When I called Transport Minister Stephan Knoll during the week, he returned it with the opening line: “Is this the first time we’ve ever spoken?”

Why, yes, Minister.

He said while the North Tce turn-right promise had been abandoned, the new Government had not abandoned more tram tracks.

“We’re not anti light rail, although we’re anti light rail to Norwood and Unley,” he said.

“The city loop is definitely something we’re doing background work on.”

This “background work” on a city loop — most likely extending the new Festival Theatre spur out to O’Connell St or the Glenelg line down Gouger St — is one of 10 projects the Government will submit to its promised Infrastructure SA quango.

“I like thinking about the roads less travelled,” he said.

So, Knoll has a cunning plan of his own — making the tram turn right, by turning left.

It’d work like this.

The city-bound tram would go along King William St, straight over the North Terrace intersection and stop just past the new Festival Centre station.

The driver could then move to the back, and take the tram left along a new section of track on Victoria Drive, running at the back of Adelaide University, turning right past the new Adelaide High campus and up Frome Rd to North Tce, where it would connect with the new Botanic Gardens stop.

Turning right by turning left. It’s so Adelaide, it just might work.

Knoll prefers the city loop options but gives it as an example of “a million ways to skin a cat”.
From: https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/opi ... 729feca1b7

[Shuz]

#3846 Post by [Shuz] » Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:58 am

That is the stupidest proposal I've ever heard of. Running a tram along Victoria Drive is literally a tram to nowhere. Adelaide University and Botanic Gardens are already serviced by the new route to the East End. :wallbash:
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

how good is he
Legendary Member!

#3847 Post by how good is he » Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:21 am

I think his suggested tram route would also service the Zoo and the new Botanic high school as mentioned.

1NEEDS2POST
High Rise Poster!

#3848 Post by 1NEEDS2POST » Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:28 am

[Shuz] wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:58 am
That is the stupidest proposal I've ever heard of. Running a tram along Victoria Drive is literally a tram to nowhere. Adelaide University and Botanic Gardens are already serviced by the new route to the East End. :wallbash:
Especially the part where the tram has to change direction. That makes no sense.

Listy
High Rise Poster!

#3849 Post by Listy » Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:41 am

1NEEDS2POST wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:28 am
[Shuz] wrote:
Especially the part where the tram has to change direction. That makes no sense.
Plus if the gradient at North Tce/King William is a problem for trams turning, just wait till someone points out the gradient on Frome Rd as you complete this little loop & return to North Tce.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#3850 Post by Norman » Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:44 am

Don't listen to Matthew Abraham, most of the time is opinion pieces are a waste of time and space.

rubberman

#3851 Post by rubberman » Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:20 pm

Listy wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:41 am
1NEEDS2POST wrote:
[Shuz] wrote:
Plus if the gradient at North Tce/King William is a problem for trams turning, just wait till someone points out the gradient on Frome Rd as you complete this little loop & return to North Tce.
Radical idea here! Buy trams that can do these turns without spending a fortune on extra earthworks. There's trams around that have 18m turning radius vs the Citadis with 25m.

I'd also stick my hand up for the following route: Festival Plaza to Adelaide Children's Hospital, then along Brougham Place and Frome to the Zoo/new school to Botanic Garden. That would also serve the Adelaide Oval.

Patrick_27

#3852 Post by Patrick_27 » Mon Nov 26, 2018 5:37 pm

I'm sorry, but how that fuck is that guy our minister for infrastructure? That is probably the stupidest, pie in the sky proposal that has come forward with all these discussions of tram network expansions, and yet the Libs have time and time again called out Labor for thinking impractically...

normh
High Rise Poster!

#3853 Post by normh » Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:13 pm

Is it possible and feasible that a tram could change tracks use the “left turn” track and then move back to the correct track again and continue to the botanic stop

Sent from my iPad

Ser Noit of Loit
High Rise Poster!

#3854 Post by Ser Noit of Loit » Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:53 pm

Listy wrote:
1NEEDS2POST wrote:
[Shuz] wrote:
Concept art of the tramline on Frome:

Listy
High Rise Poster!

#3855 Post by Listy » Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:34 am

Ser Noit of Loit wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:53 pm
Listy wrote:
1NEEDS2POST wrote:

Concept art of the tramline on Frome:
After biking up that hill for years I could have done with one of those after a long day at work! :lol: