News & Discussion: Adelaide Metro Trains

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
HiTouch
Legendary Member!

Re: News & Discussion: Adelaide Metro Trains

#3826 Post by HiTouch » Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:43 pm

rhino wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:38 pm
HiTouch wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:10 pm
rhino wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:59 pm

The "little cricket match" is an international fixture, it cannot be moved to another day. Moreover, back in July or something, the Board negotiated with the Government to guarantee that the trains would be running. The Government have since reneged on that arrangement, or, more likely, had forgotten about it, and now Mr KaNoll is being the recalcitrant schoolboy who won't accept his error.
It's not an error. He's done nothing wrong. We don't even know what this essential upgrade is, it could save hundreds of lives. If thats the case, we should be thanking him.
From ABC News:
The closure was rescheduled from this weekend (1st-2nd Dec), which Minister Stephan Knoll blamed on a "technical issues with testing"....
"Undertaking those works on this weekend is the best time to undertake them," he said.
Yes, the testing is essential, the timing of it obviously is not.
That's not his fault though. It was a technical issue out of his control. It's such a small issue anyway. Test Match Cricket (a.k.a. long and boring cricket) attracts less than 20,000 people so it's not like it will be a logistical nightmare.

Mr Messy
Gold-Member ;)

#3827 Post by Mr Messy » Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:49 pm

Given trains are currently running, it can't be an issue with the current signal controls, so it has to be a problem to do with the new control centre

Waewick
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#3828 Post by Waewick » Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:41 pm

HiTouch wrote:
rhino wrote:
HiTouch wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:10 pm
It's not an error. He's done nothing wrong. We don't even know what this essential upgrade is, it could save hundreds of lives. If thats the case, we should be thanking him.
From ABC News:
The closure was rescheduled from this weekend (1st-2nd Dec), which Minister Stephan Knoll blamed on a "technical issues with testing"....
"Undertaking those works on this weekend is the best time to undertake them," he said.
That's not his fault though. It was a technical issue out of his control. It's such a small issue anyway. Test Match Cricket (a.k.a. long and boring cricket) attracts less than 20,000 people so it's not like it will be a logistical nightmare.
It's day 3 as well.

It's a storm in a tea cup and largely political maneuvering

HiTouch
Legendary Member!

#3829 Post by HiTouch » Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:16 pm

Waewick wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:41 pm
HiTouch wrote:
rhino wrote:

From ABC News:

It's day 3 as well.

roughly from the words of ghs,
"This Labor government preaches nothing short of sensationalised dribble. Waaaaa!!"

[Shuz]

#3830 Post by [Shuz] » Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:22 pm

It's attracted 42 thousand tickets (people) just for Day 1. Let alone the other days. Not less than 20,000. More than double. that's not a crowd figure to sneeze at.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

rubberman

#3831 Post by rubberman » Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:14 pm

Waewick wrote:
HiTouch wrote:
rhino wrote:

From ABC News:

It's day 3 as well.

It's the SACA complaining. They are not a noted political player and hardly bolshie reds either. But I guess we shall see.

HiTouch
Legendary Member!

#3832 Post by HiTouch » Sat Dec 01, 2018 12:40 am

rubberman wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:14 pm
Waewick wrote:
HiTouch wrote:
It's day 3 as well.

It's the SACA complaining. They are not a noted political player and hardly bolshie reds either. But I guess we shall see.
Oh I dont know rubberman :wink: Have you seen their logo? The red is basically crying out bolshevik. These guys would name Adelaide, Leninville if they could.
Attachments
0279C9C8-DC47-41BE-A5CA-1783BBC46849.png
0279C9C8-DC47-41BE-A5CA-1783BBC46849.png (54.35 KiB) Viewed 3692 times

Waewick

#3833 Post by Waewick » Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:04 am

[Shuz] wrote:It's attracted 42 thousand tickets (people) just for Day 1. Let alone the other days. Not less than 20,000. More than double. that's not a crowd figure to sneeze at.
At the absolute bulk of attendees and 100% of the international visitors were never taking the train.

Waewick

#3834 Post by Waewick » Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:05 am

rubberman wrote:
Waewick wrote:
HiTouch wrote: That's not his fault though. It was a technical issue out of his control. It's such a small issue anyway. Test Match Cricket (a.k.a. long and boring cricket) attracts less than 20,000 people so it's not like it will be a logistical nightmare.
It's day 3 as well.

I was more refering to the diatribes by our esteemed politicians.

rubberman

#3835 Post by rubberman » Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:35 am

Waewick wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:05 am
rubberman wrote:
Waewick wrote:
It's day 3 as well.

I was more refering to the diatribes by our esteemed politicians.
There's probably an OH&S rule against listening to politicians. I am reliably informed that listening to the Australian Federal Parliament or US politics can lead to severe brain damage involving loss of balance and perspective, as well as an increasing loss of connection with reality and morality.

But, if SACA has a beef, then it ought to be listened to with a degree of seriousness. I say that as someone who has had an elderly relative willing to share his SACA Member's pass, but never been bothered to use it.

muzzamo
Legendary Member!

#3836 Post by muzzamo » Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:00 pm

I don't think these have been discussed here yet?

- Tonsley line being renamed to Flinders line, with Flinders Station as the terminus - https://www.sa.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf ... v2-Map.pdf

- Oaklands Station to be renamed Marion Centre Station - https://www.sa.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf ... naming.PDF

PeFe

#3837 Post by PeFe » Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:18 pm

All common sense (as long as the SA government renames the current Marion station to avoid confusion with the new Marion centre station)

Marion could now become Park Holme (to reflect its suburb location)

ChillyPhilly

#3838 Post by ChillyPhilly » Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:47 pm

The renaming is logical and wise.

Would like to see this carried out elsewhere throughout the network where applicable, e.g. changing Dudley Park to Prospect.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

ml69
Legendary Member!

#3839 Post by ml69 » Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:48 pm

PeFe wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:18 pm
All common sense (as long as the SA government renames the current Marion station to avoid confusion with the new Marion centre station)

Marion could now become Park Holme (to reflect its suburb location)
I think Marion might be better renamed to Westminster, as it is adjacent to the school. Also, arguably more “memorable” than Park Holme.

ml69
Legendary Member!

#3840 Post by ml69 » Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:53 pm

ChillyPhilly wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:47 pm
The renaming is logical and wise.

Would like to see this carried out elsewhere throughout the network where applicable, e.g. changing Dudley Park to Prospect.
While we’re on this, why couldn’t Kilburn be relocated out of the backstreets, and shifted 500m south adjacent to the Churchill Centre shopping centre and Costco? Create a decent pedestrian link to the new station and I bet patronage would be double or triple what Kilburn currently is.

Call it Churchill station, and make it a good size park and ride station. It doesn’t require too much vision to see the potential of this station once the Gawler line is electrified.
Last edited by ml69 on Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.