[COM] Adelaide Oval Hotel

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

[COM] Re: Adelaide Oval Hotel

#61 Post by rev » Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:40 pm

ghs wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:08 am
rev wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:20 pm
ghs wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:48 am
Will there be a road guy going thru the parklands into the hotel ? If not then this is a recipe for disaster.
Why would there need to be a road going through the parklands for this? There's an undercover car park directly below it.
That underground car park also serves as a drop off/pick up point for the Hill of Grace restaurant in the eastern stand.
Have you ever heard of a taxi ?

If so, how will the taxis drop off passengers from interstate with heavy baggage if there's no road ?
Have you ever heard of a taxi pick up/drop off zone?
The Oval has them, there's one in the eastern car park.

rev

#62 Post by rev » Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:46 pm

ghs wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:22 pm
Llessur2002 wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:25 am
ghs wrote:

If so, how will the taxis drop off passengers from interstate with heavy baggage if there's no road ?
I've stayed at several city hotels where the drop off point is in the basement carpark. Normally there's a lift and a concierge. It's a non-issue.
Mate, it's not going to be so easy at Adelaide oval. They're going to have to go up one lift to get out of the basement then walk to the hotel reception, check in and go up the lift in the hotel to their room. With heavy baggage ? I would also be concerned about my safety at the hotel, how does the fire truck get in if there's a massive fire in the hotel.
You do know luggage has wheels on it? They aren't going to be carrying it over their shoulder while running a gladiator gauntlet to get to their room.
And how does the MFS respond to a fire at this proposed hotel? The same way it responds to a fire or fire alarm at Adelaide Oval already.

Llessur2002
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#63 Post by Llessur2002 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:35 pm

ghs wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:22 pm
Llessur2002 wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:25 am
ghs wrote:

I've stayed at several city hotels where the drop off point is in the basement carpark. Normally there's a lift and a concierge. It's a non-issue.
Mate, it's not going to be so easy at Adelaide oval. They're going to have to go up one lift to get out of the basement then walk to the hotel reception, check in and go up the lift in the hotel to their room. With heavy baggage ? I would also be concerned about my safety at the hotel, how does the fire truck get in if there's a massive fire in the hotel.
That's exactly how it has worked with other hotels with a basement drop-off. There's a concierge desk and a lift up to the lobby - the concierge takes your bags (heavy or otherwise) whilst you pop off to reception to check in. By the time you've checked in and headed up to your room your bags are there waiting for you. On check-out you take your bags to the lobby like in any other hotel and the concierge takes them to the pick up point in the basement whilst you check out. It's really not anywhere near the big deal you're making it out to be.

As for emergency services, they'll have access into the oval plaza anyway via the retractable bollards. No change from the existing procedures. Many hotel drop-off points (e.g. the Stamford, Playford etc) are totally unsuitable for emergency services vehicles anyway. Fire trucks have many meters of hoses on board, plus the oval and proposed hotel will have hydrants and risers like any other building.

As for taxis, they can drop off in the basement just like any other vehicle. Unless you're thinking of a new type of taxi that can't go into basements? :?

As usual you're making a predictably depressing mountain out of a molehill.

ghs

#64 Post by ghs » Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:57 pm

I'll give you another scenario. If this project goes ahead, how does the construction company deliver all the building materials
and equipment onto the site when there's no road. Are they going to park the concrete trucks in the basement and then pump the concrete
up the elevator shaft ?

I've said it before and I'll say it again, this is a recipe for disaster.

Nort

#65 Post by Nort » Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:15 pm

ghs wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:57 pm
I'll give you another scenario. If this project goes ahead, how does the construction company deliver all the building materials
and equipment onto the site when there's no road. Are they going to park the concrete trucks in the basement and then pump the concrete
up the elevator shaft ?

You're awfully obsessed with this, why would it require any more intrusion than currently takes place for deliveries and than happened during the rebuilding of the entire Oval over the last few years?

There is access to the Oval from Pennington Terrace and I expect construction vehicles would access from the Eastern paved areas.

rev

#66 Post by rev » Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:56 pm

ghs wrote:
up the elevator shaft ?

As Nort said, they could come in off Pennington Terrace closer to King William Road which will bring them right to the north eastern corner, or they could come in off of King William Road it self. Maybe they'll even bring the trucks in over the grass. Who cares the grass will be replanted.

Next straw you want to clutch at?

ghs

#67 Post by ghs » Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:19 pm

Maybe they'll even bring the trucks in over the grass. Who cares the grass will be replanted.
I wouldn't imagine the parklands preservation society would be too happy about that.

Pikey
VIP Member
VIP Member

#68 Post by Pikey » Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:25 pm

ghs wrote:
up the elevator shaft ?

Google Putzmeister. Moving concrete is pretty simple these days... :roll:
Walking on over....

| Sensational-Adelaide.com Moderator |

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#69 Post by Will » Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:42 pm

ghs wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:19 pm
Maybe they'll even bring the trucks in over the grass. Who cares the grass will be replanted.
I wouldn't imagine the parklands preservation society would be too happy about that.
So?

bits
Legendary Member!

[COM] [PRO] [PRO] [PRO] Re: Adelaide Oval Hotel

#70 Post by bits » Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:38 pm

There is nothing wrong with access to it.
The issues I see are
1)does a commericial hotel fit within the parklands intended use.

2)is it fair to other businesses
a)that paid for their building from money they got from traditional funding methods.
b)Consider advantages of being exclusive attached to a public icon. I am sure a private company could make a killing inside the Botanic garden or attached to the art gallery.
c)is staff such as concierge and security already on-site and paid for and funded by the running of the oval
d)that pay rates and taxes.

3)security of the oval.
This is actually the biggest concern that needs to be clearly explained how it will be controlled.
We closed/removed the drop off ramp and an entire carpark at the airport due to risks of being able to bring large things such as cars too close to somewhere with a mass of people. These rooms will provide a private holding area that something much larger than a car could be assembled over any length of time required very close to a significant structure with masses of people on it. Plus televised to the world live.
Adelaide oval put in temp concrete barriers that are now replaced with permanent bollards as they are scared someone might try to run people over.
A single incident would dwarf any potential win this idea could ever dream of building.
Security of the attached oval needs to be guaranteed.

Last edited by bits on Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ghs

#71 Post by ghs » Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:03 pm

Will wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:42 pm
ghs wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:19 pm
So?
[/quote
My mail is that the parklands preservation group aren't too happy about the hotel being built in that location.

ml69
Legendary Member!

[COM] Re: [PRO] [PRO] [PRO] Re: Adelaide Oval Hotel

#72 Post by ml69 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:40 pm

bits wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:38 pm
3)security of the oval.
This is actually the biggest concern that needs to be clearly explained how it will be controlled.
We closed/removed the drop off ramp and an entire carpark at the airport due to risks of being able to bring large things such as cars too close to somewhere with a mass of people. These rooms will provide a private holding area that something much larger than a car could be assembled over any length of time required very close to a significant structure with masses of people on it. Plus televised to the world live.
Adelaide oval put in temp concrete barriers that are now replaced with permanent bollards as they are scared someone might try to run people over.
A single incident would dwarf any potential win this idea could ever dream of building.
Security of the attached oval needs to be guaranteed.
Yeah these are major, major risks highlighted by Bits.

What is there to stop someone from being holed up in a room for days and building a massive bomb to target a high-profile event? We can’t have CCTV into private rooms for privacy reasons, right?

The risks are so great it might be enough to scuttle the whole proposal.

Waewick

#73 Post by Waewick » Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:12 pm

You are surely not serious.

YellowRoad
Gold-Member ;)

#74 Post by YellowRoad » Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:58 pm

Ghs, you are a deadset flog :hilarious:

ml69
Legendary Member!