[U/C] M2 North-South Motorway

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
how good is he
Legendary Member!

[U/C] Re: North-South Motorway

#3286 Post by how good is he » Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:07 am

There was talk of Pym St maybe going under South Rd which clearly isn’t happening in this concept video. So if that’s the case (to cut off Pym St either side) they could do this anytime now & get rid of the lights and make traffic far more free flowing/non-stop to Regency Rd.

ChillyPhilly
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[U/C] Re: [U/C] Re: North-South Motorway

#3287 Post by ChillyPhilly » Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:37 am

how good is he wrote:There was talk of Pym St maybe going under South Rd which clearly isn’t happening in this concept video. So if that’s the case (to cut off Pym St either side) they could do this anytime now & get rid of the lights and make traffic far more free flowing/non-stop to Regency Rd.
If they did that, it would have a significant local impact as there would be no road crossing between Torrens and Regency Roads.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

Pistol
Legendary Member!

#3288 Post by Pistol » Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:04 am

Fail, start again.
Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken

how good is he
Legendary Member!

#3289 Post by how good is he » Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:43 am

ChillyPhilly, I agree but my point is that is going to be the outcome anyway based on the plans, right?
So cars/traffic would still need to drive to Regency Rd or Torrens Rd to cross. Sure there is a footbridge going to be built for cyclists/pedestrians but doubt the relative demand for that vs an underpass for cars/traffic crossing.
Last edited by how good is he on Sat Dec 08, 2018 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#3290 Post by Norman » Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:58 am

Well, if anyone has concerns they want to raise with the project team, come along to the open day at the Polonia Sports Club at 2pm today. Complaining about the project on here achieves nothing.

ChillyPhilly

#3291 Post by ChillyPhilly » Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:58 am

Sorry, you're correct - just watched the video a second time. For some reason I kept imagining that the video illustrated Pym Street as going under.

I suppose access across the corridor would prove difficult following this project, though I'm more concerned about the impact on bus routes.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

how good is he
Legendary Member!

#3292 Post by how good is he » Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:59 am

Norman wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:58 am
Well, if anyone has concerns they want to raise with the project team, come along to the open day at the Polonia Sports Club at 2pm today. Complaining about the project on here achieves nothing.
What makes you assume I haven't already raised it with the project team? If anything, highlighting it on here [or complaining as you say] actually may garner further support esp. for those who maybe like ChillyPhilly weren't even aware that the problem existed. I think the real question is even after raising it, will they change it anyway?

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#3293 Post by rev » Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:00 pm

ChillyPhilly wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:37 am
how good is he wrote:There was talk of Pym St maybe going under South Rd which clearly isn’t happening in this concept video. So if that’s the case (to cut off Pym St either side) they could do this anytime now & get rid of the lights and make traffic far more free flowing/non-stop to Regency Rd.
If they did that, it would have a significant local impact as there would be no road crossing between Torrens and Regency Roads.
That's generally what happens with a freeway.

Waewick

[U/C] [U/C] Re: [U/C] Re: North-South Motorway

#3294 Post by Waewick » Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:19 pm

Norman wrote:Well, if anyone has concerns they want to raise with the project team, come along to the open day at the Polonia Sports Club at 2pm today. Complaining about the project on here achieves nothing.
Did you end up going? And anything noteworthy?

By the looks of that video it's going to be a bridge over Recency, i wonder if that makes it quicker to deliver?

Are they not digging down like under Port to save costs with all the over passes?

how good is he
Legendary Member!

#3295 Post by how good is he » Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:29 pm

3.5years (from now) to complete the 1.8km with a bridge /overpass that I expect to be pre-fabricated on-site (like Darlington) seems very slow. The only thing that may explain it is (I think) they are only starting construction after they finish the Northern Connector (and presume they are using the same contractors?)

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#3296 Post by Norman » Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:15 am

I went to the open day yesterday and asked the project team a few questions about some of the issues discussed.
  • The motorway will not be lowered at Pym Street because service relocation including stormwater is too complex and therefore expensive at this location. The other justification is that traffic volumes are too low.
  • A bridge or underpass is also not feasible as property acquisition costs as well as service relocation would have costs that outweigh the benefits.
  • A full traffic count will be completed next week
  • Bus routes travelling along Pym Street have 3 options, including using the U-turns at Torrens Road and Regency Road. There could also be split routes or using Torrens Road and Days Road, or completely changing existing routes in the area.
  • The South Road surface road will be 2 lanes in each direction, and 3 lanes in each direction for the motorway.
  • The Polonia Sports Club's soccer pitch will be slightly rotated, but the intention is to keep the club at the same site. Negotiations are continuing with the club.
The concept map will be released on the DPTI website shortly.

SBD

#3297 Post by SBD » Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:13 am

how good is he wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:29 pm
3.5years (from now) to complete the 1.8km with a bridge /overpass that I expect to be pre-fabricated on-site (like Darlington) seems very slow. The only thing that may explain it is (I think) they are only starting construction after they finish the Northern Connector (and presume they are using the same contractors?)
How long does property acquisition take? Assuming that at least some of the vendors are unwilling and seeking significant redress/recompense. Australian law doesn't allow for the government to just say "we want your house, be out by the end of the month please".

muzzamo
Legendary Member!

#3298 Post by muzzamo » Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:32 am

how good is he wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:29 pm
My guess - its being timed so that the project after that can be a tunnel (taking into account TBM lead times etc).

how good is he
Legendary Member!

#3299 Post by how good is he » Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:50 am

I agree SBD it can't happen quickly and they probably will give residents at least 12 months resumption notices. However if the owners want to challenge it [and/or the amount of compensation] they can continue to argue in court for years thereafter however they can't hold up the process by staying in the property and/or challenging it/going to court. Essentially they have to get out/be evicted by a certain date regardless of whatever dispute they have.
Muzzamo, you could be right and the lead up announcements for the next/final stage could also timed with the next State election.

EBG

#3300 Post by EBG » Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:33 am

The Ayliffes Rd bridge is complete except for the Eastern end earth ramp and the Sturt Road bridge is open and Sturt Rd is back on its normal Alignment. A start has been made on large circular columns on each side of South Rd to carry the new FMC rail link but not much else has been done regarding the rail link.
Attachments
20181209_south rd..jpg
20181209_south rd..jpg (293.84 KiB) Viewed 2011 times