News & Discussion: O-Bahn

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
citywatcher
Legendary Member!

Re: News & Discussion: O-Bahn

#1426 Post by citywatcher » Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:38 pm

Track closed just after lunch time today between plaza and paradise when a tree crashed onto the track
That's what happens when you neglect basic maintenance

Sent from my SM-J730G using Tapatalk

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#1427 Post by rev » Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:25 pm

O-Bahn extension feasibility study handed to international experts McConnell Dowell, Mott MacDonald and ARUP
Colin James, Messenger Community News
November 26, 2018 10:29am
Subscriber only

Northeastern residents are being urged to have their say about the future of public transport, including the possible extension of the O-Bahn to Golden Grove.

The State Government has embarked on a community consultation program for the North East Public Transport Study, which will assess the potential to extend O-Bahn services from Tea Tree Plaza to Golden Grove.

This includes options such as priority bus lanes similar to those installed along Hackney Road and a dedicated off-road corridor like the existing one along the River Torrens.

Transport Minister Stephan Knoll said the O-Bahn Extension Feasibility Study was part of detailed planning work to improve public transport for north-eastern suburbs including Golden Grove, Wynn Vale, Redwood Park, Surrey Downs, Modbury Heights and Ridgehaven.

Mr Knoll said O-Bahn bus services were the most popular public transport services in Adelaide, carrying almost twice as many passengers on average each day than the most popular rail services.

Funding was provided in the State Budget for a new park ‘n’ ride facilitiy at Paradise and expanded parking at Golden Grove.

Mr Knoll said the transport study would explore other opportunities to provide more parking at Paradise, Golden Grove and Klemzig to cater for increasing passengers on the service.

The study will also consider how improved travel times, reliability and access can be achieved for northeastern users of public transport

This will involve analysing how the three existing interchanges at Paradise, Tea Tree Plaza and Klemzig operate.

The study is being undertaken by the Public Transport Project Alliance, a partnership between the Department of Planning, Transport and Infrastructure (DPTI) and three international construction and engineering companies — McConnell Dowell, Mott MacDonald and ARUP.

The study started last month and will finished towards the end of 2019.

Mr Knoll said the Marshall Liberal Government had created the South Australian Public Transport Authority (SAPTA) to reform Adelaide’s public transport network.

“Through SAPTA and the reform process we want to make public transport, faster, more efficient and more customer focussed,” he said.

“We’re launching the North East Public Transport Study to investigate how we can provide better public transport services for the people of the northeastern suburbs.”

Mr Knoll said the O-Bahn already provided an excellent service.

“This study will explore how we can build on or even extend that service to Golden Grove,” he said.

Local Liberal MP Paula Luethen said people wanted improved public transport in the northeast.

“I encourage my local community to get involved and have a say about their views on better public transport solutions,” she said.

This included whether they wanted the O-Bahn expanded to Golden Grove and suggestions on expanding the Golden Grove park ‘n’ ride.

Tea Tree Gully mayor Kevin Knight said he was a regular user of public transport, especially the O-Bahn.

“I welcome more and better travel opportunities for residents living in the City of Tea Tree Gully,” he said.

Mr Knight said the extension of the O-Bahn and expansion of park ‘n’ ride facilities at Golden Grove and Modbury were key election promises for the Marshall Government. “I am keen to see them deliver on these promises,” he said.

Mr Knight said anything which improved convenience, travel times, reliability and access to public transport was welcome.

“The value of improved mobility on social inclusion and community wellbeing should not be underestimated,” he said.

Mr Knight said council staff were working closely with DPTI and its consultants.

“I am looking forward to seeing how the study progresses and discussing the final report,” he said.

Mr Knight encouraged all residents to have their say during the consultation period.

The launch of the study last week came as community information sessions were held by DPTI on the $20 million upgrade of Golden Grove Rd between Surrey Downs and Golden Grove.

https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/messenge ... 4b3af08ff5

Eurostar
Legendary Member!

#1428 Post by Eurostar » Mon Nov 26, 2018 5:51 pm

I suggested a bus lane on Golden Grove Road and a bigger bus interchange as the current one is not ideal for buses to get in and out of easily.

The Scooter Guy
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#1429 Post by The Scooter Guy » Mon Nov 26, 2018 6:18 pm

Eurostar wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 5:51 pm
I suggested a bus lane on Golden Grove Road and a bigger bus interchange as the current one is not ideal for buses to get in and out of easily.
Good Idea actually. Most parts of Golden Grove Rd should be feasible enough to be widened and accommodate either a standard bus lane or a 'slipformed' guided lane like the ones in the United Kingdom.
For starters, my avatar is the well-known Adelaide Aquatic Centre insignia from 1989.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWk8YPx2zHziHgvyPy_9fxQ
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryanthescooterguy/
http://ryansbedroom.tumblr.com/

1NEEDS2POST
High Rise Poster!

#1430 Post by 1NEEDS2POST » Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:13 pm

Is Golden Grove Road heavily congested during peak hour? I don't go there often. If not, I don't see the need to build dedicated bus infrastructure so far out of the CBD. It's better to spend the money on bus lanes on other routes.

duke
High Rise Poster!

#1431 Post by duke » Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:35 pm

1NEEDS2POST wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:13 pm
Is Golden Grove Road heavily congested during peak hour? I don't go there often. If not, I don't see the need to build dedicated bus infrastructure so far out of the CBD. It's better to spend the money on bus lanes on other routes.
It gets busy, but it doesn't really slow down.
It would make more sense though if it was part of a longer term plan to have it extended either via track or bus lane all the way through to Elizabeth.
Adelaide needs to start thinking more in terms of major transport hubs with more interconnections.

claybro

#1432 Post by claybro » Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:03 pm

duke wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:35 pm
1NEEDS2POST wrote:
It would make more sense though if it was part of a longer term plan to have it extended either via track or bus lane all the way through to Elizabeth.
Adelaide needs to start thinking more in terms of major transport hubs with more interconnections.
Is there even a reserved path for a guided track past Modbury?

ChillyPhilly

#1433 Post by ChillyPhilly » Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:57 pm

claybro wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:03 pm
duke wrote:
1NEEDS2POST wrote:
It could fit along McIntyre Road and at least parts of the immediate east of Bridge Road.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

claybro

#1434 Post by claybro » Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:51 pm

ChillyPhilly wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:57 pm
claybro wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:03 pm
duke wrote:

It could fit along McIntyre Road and at least parts of the immediate east of Bridge Road.
If there is no dedicated reserve for a guided track, surely they would just go with a dedicated bus lane. The reason for the question is, if there is a dedicated lane, assuming they go with just a bus lane, would the bus then be required to travel at the posted speed limit for the rest of the traffic on other lanes? If this is the case, it is a bit of a push to call it an "extension of the Obahn". Would a guided track even be feasible alongside an existing road reserve? Admittedly, I am not really familiar with this area.

duke
High Rise Poster!

#1435 Post by duke » Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:09 pm

I imagine it would go this route along Golden Grove Road.

claybro

#1436 Post by claybro » Tue Dec 11, 2018 2:40 pm

duke wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:09 pm
I imagine it would go this route along Golden Grove Road.

Looks logical. But again, if it just travels along an existing road, even on a bus lane, how can they really call it an "extension of the Obahn" ? It's not really a BRT in this case is it? I imagine this stretch may end up similar to the Brisbane buswsys, which operate on seperate bus roadways, without the guided tracks.

Eurostar
Legendary Member!

#1437 Post by Eurostar » Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:16 pm

Judging by the width of the Liverpool-Paramatta T Way it needs at least 10m wide space.

This could work along the eastern side of McIntyre Road and by turning the southbound lanes of The Golden Way into a Tway
Attachments
Screenshot_2018-12-11-16-59-41.png
T Way
Screenshot_2018-12-11-16-59-41.png (668.37 KiB) Viewed 6883 times

bits
Legendary Member!

#1438 Post by bits » Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:28 pm

Golden Grove Road has a creek or road reserve along most of that stretch and the Grove way is wide enough to fit the o-bahn also.

duke
High Rise Poster!

#1439 Post by duke » Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:03 am

The track and guide system in Elon Musk's new tunnel looks familiar.
https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/motoring ... 74efdc5129

PeFe

#1440 Post by PeFe » Fri Dec 21, 2018 12:24 pm

Continuing the same theme.....

From Pedestrian TV
Congratulations To Elon Musk On Inventing Adelaide’s Mighty O-Bahn System

There’s a well-established trope among Silicon Valley firms which states every now and again, some ‘agile’ start-up will accidentally invent a commonplace product or service and present it as a revolution in the field.
More often than not, they stumble across something as innocuous as the city bus, but Elon Musk‘s The Boring Company has seemingly discovered a more specific concept.

The company’s swish new video showcases its proposed loop system, which aims to reduce urban traffic by providing underground rails for road vehicles.

Cool! Everyone loves a tunnel. The thing is, the whole road-vehicles-on-rails concept has already been implemented by, uh, Adelaide. Over 30 years ago.

Upon closer inspection, it appears that The Boring Company’s project borrows heavily from the South Australian capital’s O-Bahn system, which has channeled city buses onto purpose-built concrete track since 1986.

Full article : https://www.pedestrian.tv/tech/elon-mus ... -good-job/