[COM] The Bend Motorsport Park

Developments in Regional South Australia. Including Port Lincoln, Victor Harbor, Wallaroo, Gawler and Mount Barker.
SBD
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[COM] Re: The Bend Motorsport Park

#61 Post by SBD » Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:49 pm

flaneur wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:47 pm
rail stop proposal on the cards, GSR may be interested or at the least hire out rollingstock for charter, Adelaide City Council preparing a plan to bring The Overland into Adelaide Rail Station but no word of interest from Adelaide Metro
Practically, bringing the Overland in to Adelaide station now requires at a minimum for the standard gauge track to cross the Gawler and Outer Harbor lines and dual gauge track on one platform. The platforms now are nowhere near as long as they were when regional and interstate trains regularly came in to the station. I'm not sure what extra infrastructure would be required to support shunting to push the train in to the station off of the main line - some signals and safeworking at least, possibly an extra siding or parallel line to be able to pull it in to the Adelaide yard, then run the locomotives round to the other end, rather than push it all the way from Adelaide Parklands Station on the main line.

mattwinter
High Rise Poster!

#62 Post by mattwinter » Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:53 pm

I wonder if, for something like a once off to Tailem Bend for race days, it would make more sense for the train to pick passengers up from somewhere like Goodwood station. Already a platform there (disused) for the SG line, can connect with Seaford / Tonsley / Belair lines there....?

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

#63 Post by Howie » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:28 pm

Hi guys,

I’m keen on building a 3D model of the main straight, garage building. Does anyone have a copy of the development application so I can gain some architectural details needed for my model?

Cheers

85trainfan
High Rise Poster!

#64 Post by 85trainfan » Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:53 pm

mattwinter wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:34 am
Would love to see some nice hills built up around the track / trees on the hills - nice spectator friendly areas to sit and watch racing with some natural shade.
After attending the First V8 event at The Bend , this is one top-notch circuit. The track can easily be view from the large viewing mounds around it, Several Grandstands with covers have been erected (cover permanent structure, but grandstand temporary) and places for videos screens in the lowest point to enable uninterpreted track views.
The other activities like the Go-karting and the 4WD track are awesome (kart track at night time was heaps of fun :P )

A big hats off to the Shanin family for this precinct :applause: :applause: :applause:
Regards Jarrod

Any posts made are my own opinion and do not represent any organisation with which I am associated.

mattwinter
High Rise Poster!

#65 Post by mattwinter » Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:43 pm

85trainfan wrote:
Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:53 pm
mattwinter wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:34 am
Would love to see some nice hills built up around the track / trees on the hills - nice spectator friendly areas to sit and watch racing with some natural shade.
After attending the First V8 event at The Bend , this is one top-notch circuit. The track can easily be view from the large viewing mounds around it, Several Grandstands with covers have been erected (cover permanent structure, but grandstand temporary) and places for videos screens in the lowest point to enable uninterpreted track views.
The other activities like the Go-karting and the 4WD track are awesome (kart track at night time was heaps of fun :P )

A big hats off to the Shanin family for this precinct :applause: :applause: :applause:
Good to hear!! Can see the mounds and layout here: https://www.thebend.com.au/sites/defaul ... ap_web.pdf

Hills with permanent covers seems like a great option - even without the stands sitting on the hill undercover... perfect. Seems like you get a much better view of all the action than you do at the Adelaide 500.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#66 Post by rev » Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:05 am

For those who were wondering/questioning the sand and whether there would be vegetation...this should address that..

Courtesy of this lady's son at Reddit https://www.reddit.com/r/Adelaide/comme ... ky_my_son/

ChillyPhilly

#67 Post by ChillyPhilly » Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:55 am

Dr Samer (Sam) Shahin was interviewed on 5AA this morning (10/12 at 9.30am) about The Bend. He advocates for passenger train services to and from Tailem Bend when the track is hosting popular races. The discussion moved to other regional centres, with one caller keen for passenger rail to and from Port Lincoln.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

Ho Really

#68 Post by Ho Really » Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:51 pm

ChillyPhilly wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:55 am
Dr Samer (Sam) Shahin was interviewed on 5AA this morning (10/12 at 9.30am) about The Bend. He advocates for passenger train services to and from Tailem Bend when the track is hosting popular races. The discussion moved to other regional centres, with one caller keen for passenger rail to and from Port Lincoln.
Let's build up Murray Bridge first and then perhaps trains will make the small jump to Tailem Bend on a regular basis. In the meantime if Sam can score the F1 GP the train will be his no worries! As for rail to Port Lincoln, that is currently way off!

Cheers
Confucius say: Dumb man climb tree to get cherry, wise man spread limbs.

rhino

#69 Post by rhino » Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:30 am

Ho Really wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:51 pm
ChillyPhilly wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:55 am
Let's build up Murray Bridge first and then perhaps trains will make the small jump to Tailem Bend on a regular basis. In the meantime if Sam can score the F1 GP the train will be his no worries! As for rail to Port Lincoln, that is currently way off!

Cheers
Yes, we'll need rails to Port Lincoln before we get trains there!
cheers,
Rhino

how good is he
Legendary Member!

#70 Post by how good is he » Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:26 pm

They’ve just announced a 2 day Le Mans endurance race on 10-12 Jan 20. So does that mean the circuit will be lit up at night or do they only use their car headlights? It would be great if it was a night event for drivers & spectators like the Singaporean Night F1 Grand Prix.

SBD

#71 Post by SBD » Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:30 pm

how good is he wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:26 pm
They’ve just announced a 2 day Le Mans endurance race on 10-12 Jan 20. So does that mean the circuit will be lit up at night or do they only use their car headlights? It would be great if it was a night event for drivers & spectators like the Singaporean Night F1 Grand Prix.
Le Mans is not flood lit for the whole course, so these cars have headlights good enough to race with.

how good is he
Legendary Member!

#72 Post by how good is he » Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:26 pm

Yes I thought so but do you expect it will all be lit up outside the track at night ie for spectators?

SBD

#73 Post by SBD » Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:31 pm

how good is he wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:26 pm
Yes I thought so but do you expect it will all be lit up outside the track at night ie for spectators?
I'd only expect enough lighting for safety and security of spectators in the intended areas, which is probably not around the full track.

SouthAussie94
High Rise Poster!

#74 Post by SouthAussie94 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:32 pm

It's the Asian Le Mans series which will race at the circuit next January. Their current 2018-19 season is comprised of 4 and 6 hour races. I'd imagine that the race at The Bend would run for one of these lengths.

I'd say is highly unlikely that the cars will be running during the night, although a twilight race may be an option. The calendar will be released in a few months so we should find out more details then..
"All we are is bags of bones pushing against a self imposed tide. Just be content with staying alive"

Views and opinions expressed are my own and don't necessarily reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation

SBD

#75 Post by SBD » Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:38 am

SouthAussie94 wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:32 pm
It's the Asian Le Mans series which will race at the circuit next January. Their current 2018-19 season is comprised of 4 and 6 hour races. I'd imagine that the race at The Bend would run for one of these lengths.

I'd say is highly unlikely that the cars will be running during the night, although a twilight race may be an option. The calendar will be released in a few months so we should find out more details then..
That sounds like the series that developed after the Race of a Thousand Years on the Adelaide Street Circuit on New Years Eve in 2000. That started in daylight and finished at 10pm.