News & Developments: Bowden TOD

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
Nathan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: News & Developments: Bowden TOD

#421 Post by Nathan » Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:33 pm

how good is he wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:37 pm
Really? I thought they would push for the underpass to be used by the skaters? If they put a pedestrian crossing (with traffic lights) it would slow Park Tce down after just spending some $417m to put the train lines underground to help the traffic flow.
There was always talk of a signalised crossing once the signals at the train line were removed. It's a few blocks (250m) in either direction to get to one of the underpasses, so it's probably good to have, but perhaps they could have kept it unsignalised and managed the lights at the two closest intersections to ensure some gaps in the traffic. It'll probably be used more by people going to the soccer club, not so much skaters or people using the park (the soccer players, or more specifically their parents, are another culprit in filling the streets with parked cars)

I'd rather they just put some better fencing between the skate area and the road, as it pretty much feeds riders straight out into traffic. Always puts me on edge watching my son when he heads down that end.

how good is he
Legendary Member!

#422 Post by how good is he » Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:59 am

So obviously the carpark they built adj. the skate park/ soccer fields/community veg. garden isn’t big enough? They spent I think $10m on the development and wonder why the carpark wasn’t (or if it could have been) made bigger?

Nathan

#423 Post by Nathan » Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:04 am

how good is he wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:59 am
So obviously the carpark they built adj. the skate park/ soccer fields/community veg. garden isn’t big enough? They spent I think $10m on the development and wonder why the carpark wasn’t (or if it could have been) made bigger?
It's big enough for general use, those using the park. It's just not big enough for the soccer club. There is an overflow carpark on the other side of the railway line (just south of the station), but it's mostly forgotten about. They should just improve that and encourage more soccer people to park there (some already do).

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#424 Post by crawf » Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:29 am

What happened to the proposed pedestrian bridge over Park Terrace?

Nathan

#425 Post by Nathan » Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:24 pm

crawf wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:29 am
DPTI wanted to minimise as much budget as they could that wasn't covered by the Torrens Junction federal money, so it became the underpass.

ChillyPhilly

#426 Post by ChillyPhilly » Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:47 pm

Nathan wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:24 pm
crawf wrote:
DPTI wanted to minimise as much budget as they could that wasn't covered by the Torrens Junction federal money, so it became the underpass.
The bridge being cut is old news, but still a damn shame. Miles better than traffic lights, and the underpass, for that matter.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

Nathan

#427 Post by Nathan » Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:58 pm

ChillyPhilly wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:47 pm
Nathan wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:24 pm
crawf wrote:
The bridge being cut is old news, but still a damn shame. Miles better than traffic lights, and the underpass, for that matter.
Definitely. RenewalSA pushed long and hard to get a commitment on the bridge, but DPTI aren't known for their cooperation.

mshagg
Legendary Member!

#428 Post by mshagg » Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:21 pm

Nathan wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:38 pm
In semi-related news, they've started installing signals for the pedestrian crossing over Park Tce to the skate park (between Fourth and Fifth Streets).
Yes noticed the signals going up - far from an ideal solution, but I guess it is what it is.

I wonder if the crossing will be activated along with the signalled pedestrian rail crossing a little further south of north Adelaide station (which would, if open, grant access between war memorial dv and "Park 27A"). The crossing looks to be a useful thoroughfare, has signals installed, but has been fenced off since the rail underpass was completed.

claybro

#429 Post by claybro » Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:10 pm

mshagg wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:21 pm
Nathan wrote:
In semi-related news, they've started installing signals for the pedestrian crossing over Park Tce to the skate park (between Fourth and Fifth Streets).
Yes noticed the signals going up - far from an ideal solution, but I guess it is what it is.

I wonder if the crossing will be activated along with the signalled pedestrian rail crossing a little further south of north Adelaide station (which would, if open, grant access between war memorial dv and "Park 27A"). The crossing looks to be a useful thoroughfare, has signals installed, but has been fenced off since the rail underpass was completed.
Who would have thought....Another pedestrian operated crossing in Adelaide on a major arterial. :roll:

how good is he
Legendary Member!

#430 Post by how good is he » Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:11 pm

Possibly the only saving grace is it may not be used that often... not really sure of the demand though.

ChillyPhilly

#431 Post by ChillyPhilly » Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:59 pm

claybro wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:10 pm
mshagg wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:21 pm
Nathan wrote:

Who would have thought....Another pedestrian operated crossing in Adelaide on a major arterial. :roll:
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#432 Post by rev » Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:13 am

Spend millions to put a train line under a roadway to reduce congestion, but then go and put up a signalized pedestrian crossing on the same road. Gotta be Adelaide.

SBD

#433 Post by SBD » Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:08 pm

rev wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:13 am
Spend millions to put a train line under a roadway to reduce congestion, but then go and put up a signalized pedestrian crossing on the same road. Gotta be Adelaide.
I'm not sure why Adelaide any more than anywhere else...?

As someone else suggested, it might be able to synchronise with the preceding intersection in each direction so that in fact through traffic shouldn't be delayed any more. It looks like the path across the median strip and fences to force pedestrians to use it were installed in the first half of 2016 (Google Streetview). Presumably people are already finding gaps in the traffic, so hopefully the lights sync to the same gaps and actually make no difference at all to the moving traffic.

EBG

#434 Post by EBG » Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:49 am

I agree with REV and SBD. It is illogical to spend millions to remove to railway crossing to speed up the traffic flow then put a pedestrian crossing on the same section of road. Also why is the new pedestrian crossing over the railway on War Memorial Drive permanently fence off? It was safe to 5 tracks before but now it is unsafe to cross 3 tracks???

claybro

#435 Post by claybro » Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:09 am

SBD wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:08 pm
rev wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:13 am
I'm not sure why Adelaide any more than anywhere else...?

As someone else suggested, it might be able to synchronise with the preceding intersection in each direction so that in fact through traffic shouldn't be delayed any more. It looks like the path across the median strip and fences to force pedestrians to use it were installed in the first half of 2016 (Google Streetview). Presumably people are already finding gaps in the traffic, so hopefully the lights sync to the same gaps and actually make no difference at all to the moving traffic.
Why Adelaide more so than anywhere else? Because there would have to be more pedestrian operated crossings in Adelaide than anywhere else on the planet. (just my observation). As for synchronising the pedestrian intersection with the adjacent intersection...given synchronisation is not a strong point elsewhere in Adelaide, I would suggest you are dreaming. Like everyone else has said, seems strange to spend millions to remove a level crossing, only the add a set of lights. Build the damn pedestrian overpass if it is such an issue.