[COM] M2 Northern Connector | 15.5km | $867m

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
how good is he
Legendary Member!

[COM] Re: Northern Connector | 14km | $1b

#691 Post by how good is he » Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:46 am

Any reason considering the advantages over bitumen they don’t build more roads out of concrete then?
Anyone know how does the cost compare?

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

[COM] Re: [U/C] Re: Northern Connector | 14km | $1b

#692 Post by Norman » Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:51 am

how good is he wrote:Any reason considering the advantages over bitumen they don’t build more roads out of concrete then?
This was discussed before. Concrete roads are more expensive but have reduced maintainance costs, especially for roads that see a high amount of truck usage

rogue
Donating Member
Donating Member

#693 Post by rogue » Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:15 am

Norman wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:51 am
how good is he wrote:Any reason considering the advantages over bitumen they don’t build more roads out of concrete then?
This was discussed before. Concrete roads are more expensive but have reduced maintainance costs, especially for roads that see a high amount of truck usage
Concrete roads also have less rolling resistance than asphalt roads.

Listy
High Rise Poster!

#694 Post by Listy » Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:51 am

rogue wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:15 am
Norman wrote:
One reason for their relative unpopularity is that a lot of motorways built in Europe/UK with concrete in the post war period quickly got a bad reputation for the constant loud road buzz & 'bump bump bump' sensation as you drove over the gaps and cracks in the surface. The last few remnants of concreted motorways in the UK are being asphalted because of this. Modern construction techniques may have largely solved these problems - I guess we will find out after a few years of use how the northern expressway turns out in that respect.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#695 Post by rev » Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:10 pm

Listy wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:51 am
rogue wrote:
Norman wrote:
One reason for their relative unpopularity is that a lot of motorways built in Europe/UK with concrete in the post war period quickly got a bad reputation for the constant loud road buzz & 'bump bump bump' sensation as you drove over the gaps and cracks in the surface. The last few remnants of concreted motorways in the UK are being asphalted because of this. Modern construction techniques may have largely solved these problems - I guess we will find out after a few years of use how the northern expressway turns out in that respect.
I wonder how long before it cracks during our extreme summer heat.

Goodsy
Legendary Member!

#696 Post by Goodsy » Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:19 pm

rev wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:10 pm
Listy wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:51 am
rogue wrote:

I wonder how long before it cracks during our extreme summer heat.
Texas seems to be fine with concrete interstates

Aidan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#697 Post by Aidan » Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:29 pm

Listy wrote:One reason for their relative unpopularity is that a lot of motorways built in Europe/UK with concrete in the post war period quickly got a bad reputation for the constant loud road buzz & 'bump bump bump' sensation as you drove over the gaps and cracks in the surface. The last few remnants of concreted motorways in the UK are being asphalted because of this. Modern construction techniques may have largely solved these problems - I guess we will find out after a few years of use how the northern expressway turns out in that respect.
In Britain even when they were new, the concrete sections of motorway built in the 1980s were a lot noisier than the asphalt sections. So when I was at uni I was surprised to hear the opposite was the case on the Hume Highway. But I've not travelled over the concrete sections of that, so I'd be interested to hear the opinions of anyone here who has.
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#698 Post by Norman » Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:54 am

Aidan wrote:
Listy wrote:One reason for their relative unpopularity is that a lot of motorways built in Europe/UK with concrete in the post war period quickly got a bad reputation for the constant loud road buzz & 'bump bump bump' sensation as you drove over the gaps and cracks in the surface. The last few remnants of concreted motorways in the UK are being asphalted because of this. Modern construction techniques may have largely solved these problems - I guess we will find out after a few years of use how the northern expressway turns out in that respect.
In Britain even when they were new, the concrete sections of motorway built in the 1980s were a lot noisier than the asphalt sections. So when I was at uni I was surprised to hear the opposite was the case on the Hume Highway. But I've not travelled over the concrete sections of that, so I'd be interested to hear the opinions of anyone here who has.
It depends on the car you're driving, but it was fine last time I drove on it. There wasn't too much noise, especially on the newer sections.

ChillyPhilly

#699 Post by ChillyPhilly » Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:47 pm

The Pacific Motorway west of Gold Coast is largely concrete, and that was pretty noisy.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

ChillyPhilly

[COM] [U/C] [U/C] [U/C] Re: Northern Connector | 14km | $1b

#700 Post by ChillyPhilly » Sat Dec 15, 2018 2:34 pm

Snapped these (rather illegally from the driver's seat) today.

The first bridge beams have been installed over PRExy.

.Image

Mr Messy
Gold-Member ;)

#701 Post by Mr Messy » Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:10 pm

There are now some decent images on the project site.
https://infrastructure.sa.gov.au/nsc/no ... eo_gallery
Click through the render for each interchange

ChillyPhilly

#702 Post by ChillyPhilly » Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:43 pm

Mr Messy wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:10 pm
I like how the renders show the surface as being asphalt.

SBD

#703 Post by SBD » Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:47 pm

ChillyPhilly wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:43 pm
Mr Messy wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:10 pm
I like how the renders show the surface as being asphalt.
I think those pictures were done before the decision to use concrete. They are only "artist's impressions, and "everybody knows" that roads are grey. The artist's render of the northern interchange is missing two supports that are presently under the PWR bridge. I doubt they are planned to be removed, so am happy to take any other details as artistic too.

Mr Messy
Gold-Member ;)

#704 Post by Mr Messy » Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:04 pm

They're screen caps from the concept video, which is pre-concrete road announcement

Eurostar
Legendary Member!

#705 Post by Eurostar » Sat Dec 22, 2018 8:23 pm

In the original plan wasn't there direct access from OTR Bolivar to the Northern Connector Southbound?