[COM] Oaklands Crossing | $174m

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

[COM] Re: [U/C] Re: Oaklands Crossing | $174m

#691 Post by Norman » Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:25 pm

RetroGamer87 wrote:Weren't they planning to rebuild Oaklands station above grade rather than below grade?

It seems like the previous time they upgraded Oaklands station wasn't that long ago.
The above ground station was mooted a long, long time ago. Below ground has been the favoured option for years now.

The station was last rebuilt in 2008.

AndyWelsh
Legendary Member!

#692 Post by AndyWelsh » Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:52 pm

From today.....

North of the crossing:

South of the crossing:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ChillyPhilly
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[COM] Re: Oaklands Crossing | $174m

#693 Post by ChillyPhilly » Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:39 pm

Platform underway.

.Image
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

AndyWelsh
Legendary Member!

#694 Post by AndyWelsh » Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:44 pm

From today:

Resurfacing on the road crossing:

Digging continues under the new road crossing:

OlympusAnt
High Rise Poster!

#695 Post by OlympusAnt » Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:29 am

they're really building this one with more pace than some others :applause:
Follow me on Flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/135625678@N06/

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#696 Post by Norman » Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:41 pm

Photos from earlier this week. The second half of the bridge deck is due to be poured soon.

AndyWelsh
Legendary Member!

#697 Post by AndyWelsh » Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:29 pm

They’re already starting to construct the station!

ChillyPhilly

#698 Post by ChillyPhilly » Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:35 pm

Have your say on the proposed renaming of the Oaklands Railway Station to Marion Centre Railway Station.

The reason behind a proposed name change is so that the station name better aligns with the surrounding shopping, recreational, cultural and administrative centre of the City of Marion. It has also been stated that this proposed change will also assist commuters who do not live in the neighbourhood with a better identification of where the train station servicing this area is located.

Visit www.sa.gov.au/landservices/namingproposals for more information.

Please note, submissions must be made to the Office of the Surveyor-General by contacting:
Email: [email protected]
Postal address: Office of the Surveyor-General
GPO Box 1354
Adelaide SA 5001
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

Westside
High Rise Poster!

#699 Post by Westside » Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:21 am

ChillyPhilly wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:35 pm
Have your say on the proposed renaming of the Oaklands Railway Station to Marion Centre Railway Station.

The reason behind a proposed name change is so that the station name better aligns with the surrounding shopping, recreational, cultural and administrative centre of the City of Marion. It has also been stated that this proposed change will also assist commuters who do not live in the neighbourhood with a better identification of where the train station servicing this area is located.

Visit www.sa.gov.au/landservices/namingproposals for more information.

Please note, submissions must be made to the Office of the Surveyor-General by contacting:
Email: [email protected]
Postal address: Office of the Surveyor-General
GPO Box 1354
Adelaide SA 5001
Without renaming the Marion Train Station too, that plan just seems dumb. Oaklands RS is in Oaklands Pk, Marion RS is in Marion, kinda seems straight forward to me. Why not just rename Westfield Marion to Westfield Oaklands and save all the drama?

OlympusAnt
High Rise Poster!

#700 Post by OlympusAnt » Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:04 pm

How about not renaming it at all?
Follow me on Flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/135625678@N06/

claybro

#701 Post by claybro » Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:50 pm

Westside wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:21 am
Without renaming the Marion Train Station too, that plan just seems dumb. Oaklands RS is in Oaklands Pk, Marion RS is in Marion, kinda seems straight forward to me. Why not just rename Westfield Marion to Westfield Oaklands and save all the drama?

Within the logistics and trades industries, the individual stores within Marion S/c are actually addressed Oaklands Park, as they probably are also in the postal service. Regardless of the name of the station v's the name of the centre, there needs to be much better VISIBLE connectivity between the two, signage might help. The centre (at least one end of it) should have been much closer to the station, but in usual ad-hock lack of local council planning style was allowed to develop away from the station, and then new low density housing allowed to be built adjacent to the station, blocking even casual connection between the two. Done properly, even as late as 20 years ago this could have been a real gem of a suburban location. Complete wasted opportunity for this whole precinct. Now they are trying to remedy this by changing the name of the station???!!!

how good is he
Legendary Member!

#702 Post by how good is he » Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:56 pm

I totally agree about the past but also what about now! How can a $174m project not be built adjacent/closer to the State Aquatic Centre and the largest Westfield/ Shopping Centre in our state is astounding. I still don’t know/understand why they couldn’t/didn’t either extend it some 500m and/or acquire the few properties in between.
Last edited by how good is he on Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:35 am, edited 5 times in total.

Aidan

#703 Post by Aidan » Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:17 am

how good is he wrote:I totally agree about the past but also what about now! How can a $174m project not be built adjacent/closer to the State Aquatic Centre and the largest Westfield/ Shopping Centre in our state is astounding. I still don’t know/understand why they couldn’t/didn’t either extend it some 500m and/or acquire the few properties in between.
The thing about railway stations is they have to be built where the railway tracks are!

However there is one very simple change that can and should be made: buses running empty from Morphettville Depot to Marion Shopping Centre should be required to stop at Oaklands to pick up passengers. That would get rid of the annoyingly long waits we currently have.
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

ml69
Legendary Member!

#704 Post by ml69 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:40 am

Aidan wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:17 am
how good is he wrote:I totally agree about the past but also what about now! How can a $174m project not be built adjacent/closer to the State Aquatic Centre and the largest Westfield/ Shopping Centre in our state is astounding. I still don’t know/understand why they couldn’t/didn’t either extend it some 500m and/or acquire the few properties in between.
The thing about railway stations is they have to be built where the railway tracks are!

However there is one very simple change that can and should be made: buses running empty from Morphettville Depot to Marion Shopping Centre should be required to stop at Oaklands to pick up passengers. That would get rid of the annoyingly long waits we currently have.
EVERY BUS which travels to or from Westfield Marion should also be stopping at the new train station. It should become the major bus/rail interchange for the region.

how good is he
Legendary Member!

#705 Post by how good is he » Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:38 am

Aidan wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:17 am
D’oh, obviously move the tracks as well as the station. You were joking with that comment, right?