[COM] Adelaide Oval Hotel

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Nort
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[COM] Re: Adelaide Oval Hotel

#181 Post by Nort » Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:26 pm

Nathan wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:17 pm
bits wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:16 pm
South parklands has Veale Garden, Himeji Garden, Marshmallow Playground, Clover playground, water retention areas, historic reservior, bmx tracks, tree climbing adventure park, function room, cafe, soccer fields, hockey fields, netball courts, tennis courts, cricket ovals, football ovals, dog training.
Does it need more things?
The problem is that there are interesting bits of the south parklands, but they're largely disconnected from each other — separated by umpteen empty sporting fields or unkept dust lands. There needs to be some denser hubs of activity.

For instance, the upgraded Marshmallow Park is great. It has the creek next to it, with a nature play area, and the dog park. But there's not quite enough activity to justify having say a kiosk there (only enough for a Mr Whippy to come by for 30mins a day). Now imagine that instead of being a couple of soccer fields and a major road away, that the BMX park and Treeclimb were all in the same vicinity, and then throw in some proper landscaping (over an area bigger than a suburban backyard). It'd be a proper urban park with a wealth of activity, and enough people to justify facilities like a proper kiosk and larger pavilions for shade.

We should designate 6–8 locations around the parklands which should be the focus of intense activity, the kind befitting an urban park. That way all city and inner suburb residents have close access to a high amenity park. Use the parklands trail to link them all around (the trail could do with being wider, landscaped alongside, and in an ideal future, grade separated from the roads cutting through the parklands), and have the sporting fields and more "natural landscaping" fill some of the spaces in-between.
Yup.

I would love to see a serious cost analysis done on what it would cost to bring all the Adelaide parklands at least up to the standard of Rymill Park, and maybe having more areas like the Botanic Gardens.

Singapore's Gardens by the Bay are a great example of the type of potential the parklands have. We could even use it as part of the push for SA to be a leader in renewable technologies by incorporating solar generation into the development, used to provide power for pumping filtered wastewater to water the parklands and even used to offset power used for desalination in drier periods.

The parklands are a massive gift, the land they sit on is worth countless billions. Its time we started treating them like they are worth and building something that we can be proud of and that make Adelaide unique.

JAKJ
High Rise Poster!

#182 Post by JAKJ » Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:34 pm

rogue wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:12 am
Well, I'm going against the general consensus here, i like it. I think the proposal compliments the existing infrastructure and is a unique addition.

As for the whole "you cant build on the parklands" thing, large swathes of parkland are barren, useless dustpans. I think we should activate sections of parkland by allowing considered private development.
I think that is short-term thinking. In the future when Adelaide is a 2-3 million + city they parklands will be an even more indispensable and unique asset and as such should not be owned by private interests.

Also the design of this hotel is crap. Apart from being a tacked-on hodge-podge mess, given it is being build to a cost as this is seen purely as a revenue raising asset by the SMA, what is the bet that the glass and cladding on this won't match the "glossy render"? Worst of all, the rendering shows that the glass for the rooms will not have a one-way mirror glass but be see through. Can't wait to approach the Oval from the Eastern end and see a miss-match of drawn and un-drawn blinds as well as whatever state the guest at the hotel has left their room in. It's going to be a real stinker.

wilkiebarkid
Donating Member
Donating Member

#183 Post by wilkiebarkid » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:44 pm

JAKJ wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:34 pm
rogue wrote:
Well, I'm going against the general consensus here, i like it. I think the proposal compliments the existing infrastructure and is a unique addition.

As for the whole "you cant build on the parklands" thing, large swathes of parkland are barren, useless dustpans. I think we should activate sections of parkland by allowing considered private development.
I think that is short-term thinking. In the future when Adelaide is a 2-3 million + city they parklands will be an even more indispensable and unique asset and as such should not be owned by private interests.

Also the design of this hotel is crap. Apart from being a tacked-on hodge-podge mess, given it is being build to a cost as this is seen purely as a revenue raising asset by the SMA, what is the bet that the glass and cladding on this won't match the "glossy render"? Worst of all, the rendering shows that the glass for the rooms will not have a one-way mirror glass but be see through. Can't wait to approach the Oval from the Eastern end and see a miss-match of drawn and un-drawn blinds as well as whatever state the guest at the hotel has left their room in. It's going to be a real stinker.
Gee, there is so much hysterical supposition about this development. I honestly believe that soon after it is up and running some people here will be embarrassed by their lefty anti Liberal Government position. It's a bloody loan that will be repaid, and it is an Australian first for a major stadium which will certainly add to the desirability of business and sports tourism in this City.

gnrc_louis
Legendary Member!

#184 Post by gnrc_louis » Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:29 pm

Gee, there is so much hysterical supposition about this development. I honestly believe that soon after it is up and running some people here will be embarrassed by their lefty anti Liberal Government position. It's a bloody loan that will be repaid, and it is an Australian first for a major stadium which will certainly add to the desirability of business and sports tourism in this City.
Lol hard to take anyone seriously who uses the term "lefty" other than in jest.

Honey of a City
High Rise Poster!

#185 Post by Honey of a City » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:57 am

wilkiebarkid wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:44 pm
JAKJ wrote:
rogue wrote:

Interesting that it’s ‘hysterical’ and ‘lefty anti-Liberal Government’ to be concerned about appropriate usage and design standards in our public realm. Not sure where that correlation comes from.

rogue
Donating Member
Donating Member

#186 Post by rogue » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:22 am

JAKJ wrote:
rogue wrote:

Perhaps it is short term thinking, JAKJ. However, I am certainly more concerned for the Adelaide of now, not the city of 2 - 3 million which might be achieved in another 150 years.

bits
Legendary Member!

[COM] [APP] Re: [APP] Re: Adelaide Oval Hotel

#187 Post by bits » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:46 am

rogue wrote: However, I am certainly more concerned for the Adelaide of now, not the city of 2 - 3 million which might be achieved in another 150 years.
This is the problem, entitled people right now that would sell their grandchild's soul if it gave them an extra buck now.
If you don't get a fancy park now, future generations don't get a fancy park?

rogue
Donating Member
Donating Member

[COM] Adelaide Oval Hotel

#188 Post by rogue » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:06 am

bits wrote:This is the problem, entitled people right now that would sell their grandchild's soul if it gave them an extra buck now.
Why is there an automatic assumption that by doing something now will ruin it for future generations? It could have the very opposite effect or planned in a way that could return the section of parkland to open space further down the track.

BTW bits, how do you know who is entitled and who isn't?

Nort

#189 Post by Nort » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:42 am

rogue wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:06 am
bits wrote:This is the problem, entitled people right now that would sell their grandchild's soul if it gave them an extra buck now.
Why is there an automatic assumption that by doing something now will ruin it for future generations? It could have the very opposite effect or planned in a way that could return the section of parkland to open space further down the track.

BTW bits, how do you know who is entitled and who isn't?
Because unless the parklands being a public space for both us and future generations is continually reinforced, that is what happens by default.

There is nothing wrong with using the parklands for activities and events, and some development can be good. It always needs to happen in that mindset though.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

[COM] Re: [APP] Re: [APP] Re: Adelaide Oval Hotel

#190 Post by rev » Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:39 pm

bits wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:46 am
This is the problem, entitled people right now that would sell their grandchild's soul if it gave them an extra buck now.
Nah..

People in Adelaide need to realize parklands, some shitty grass...and wow the grass and surface of most of the parklands is disgusting, and some shitty mismatched poorly kept trees and bushes, are not heritage worthy.

Sorry, Adelaidians, but the crappy subpar parklands (that some morons think are worthy of world heritage listing with unesco lmfao) surrounding the city are not on the same level as the Forbidden City, the Parthenon, or Machu Picchu, let alone New Yorks Central Park.

We have people protesting and threatening legal action over a hotel that isn't actually going to be built on grass, but tacked on to the side of the existing concrete and steel structure of Adelaide Oval, over some concrete pavement.
But somehow, that, along with the redevelopment of festival plaza which has long been a concrete and steel jungle, is encroaching on the park lands.

What parklands? Do you see any parklands on the exact spot the hotel is going to be built on? Do you see any parklands on the exact spot the work is going on at Festival Plaza?

The moronic mentality.. complete and utter stupidity of these parklands preservation losers, complaining about something being built on locations that aren't even god damn parklands and haven't been for a long time, while they were opposed to the obahn tunnel which if completed as originally intended would have seen an overall INCREASE IN FUCKING PARKLAND.

claybro

[COM] Re: [APP] Re: [APP] Re: Adelaide Oval Hotel

#191 Post by claybro » Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:12 pm

rev wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:39 pm
bits wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:46 am
Nah..

People in Adelaide need to realize parklands, some shitty grass...and wow the grass and surface of most of the parklands is disgusting, and some shitty mismatched poorly kept trees and bushes, are not heritage worthy.

Sorry, Adelaidians, but the crappy subpar parklands (that some morons think are worthy of world heritage listing with unesco lmfao) surrounding the city are not on the same level as the Forbidden City, the Parthenon, or Machu Picchu, let alone New Yorks Central Park.

We have people protesting and threatening legal action over a hotel that isn't actually going to be built on grass, but tacked on to the side of the existing concrete and steel structure of Adelaide Oval, over some concrete pavement.
But somehow, that, along with the redevelopment of festival plaza which has long been a concrete and steel jungle, is encroaching on the park lands.

What parklands? Do you see any parklands on the exact spot the hotel is going to be built on? Do you see any parklands on the exact spot the work is going on at Festival Plaza?

The moronic mentality.. complete and utter stupidity of these parklands preservation losers, complaining about something being built on locations that aren't even god damn parklands and haven't been for a long time, while they were opposed to the obahn tunnel which if completed as originally intended would have seen an overall INCREASE IN FUCKING PARKLAND.
:applause: the sooner people realise the parklands in their CURRENT format are holding Adelaide back the better. People do not visit Adelaide to see the parklands, and outside of Adelaide, they are virtually unknown.

bits
Legendary Member!

[COM] Re: [APP] Re: [APP] Re: [APP] Re: Adelaide Oval Hotel

#192 Post by bits » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:37 pm

claybro wrote: :applause: the sooner people realise the parklands in their CURRENT format are holding Adelaide back the better. People do not visit Adelaide to see the parklands, and outside of Adelaide, they are virtually unknown.
Holding Adelaide back from what?
The Adelaide Oval is what it is mostly due to the park lands. If Adelaide didn't have park lands we would still be watching football at West Lakes.

This hotel can't be realistically built in Pennington Street because 180 years of generations didn't reserve that space
I don't believe 180 years of generations reserved this space for a generic hotel. The hotel will do squat for the state, it is purely SMA finding easy funding for their responsibilities and bonuses. SMA are doing their job, they would be unfit for their jobs if they didn't try this.

HiTouch
Legendary Member!

#193 Post by HiTouch » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:01 pm

The parklands significantly cools down the city. It would be a lot hotter if they weren’t there.

Goodsy
Legendary Member!

#194 Post by Goodsy » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:44 pm

HiTouch wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:01 pm
The parklands significantly cools down the city. It would be a lot hotter if they weren’t there.
just imagine what they'd do if they were actually looked after

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

[COM] Re: [APP] Re: [APP] Re: [APP] Re: Adelaide Oval Hotel

#195 Post by rev » Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:39 am

bits wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:37 pm
claybro wrote: :applause: the sooner people realise the parklands in their CURRENT format are holding Adelaide back the better. People do not visit Adelaide to see the parklands, and outside of Adelaide, they are virtually unknown.
Holding Adelaide back from what?
The Adelaide Oval is what it is mostly due to the park lands. If Adelaide didn't have park lands we would still be watching football at West Lakes.

This hotel can't be realistically built in Pennington Street because 180 years of generations didn't reserve that space
I don't believe 180 years of generations reserved this space for a generic hotel. The hotel will do squat for the state, it is purely SMA finding easy funding for their responsibilities and bonuses. SMA are doing their job, they would be unfit for their jobs if they didn't try this.
It's not being built on Pennington terrace.
It's fronting king William and vehicle access will be from the EXISTING underground car park.

The hotel structure isn't going to infringe on the stupid grass outside. What's in the spot the hotel will be going on is freaking concrete.