[COM] Oaklands Crossing | $174m

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
claybro
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[COM] Re: Oaklands Crossing | $174m

#706 Post by claybro » Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:48 pm

how good is he wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:38 am
Aidan wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:17 am
The thing about railway stations is they have to be built where the railway tracks are!
D’oh, obviously move the tracks as well as the station. You were joking with that comment, right?
Looking at Google maps, there is a small cluster of about 5 houses between Diagonal Way and Diagonal road, right in the way of a clear path between the Aquatic/ Centrelink precinct and the new Oaklands station. Surely around $2-$3 million dollars would have acquired those properties to create a transit type mall and service centre linking with the northern side of Westfield? The Westfield expansion could have taken in the civic centre and moved further north to meet the services area around the Aquatic centre. That end of diagonal road could be traffic calmed with a low speed limit and pedestrian crossing, now that the chaos of the level crossing has gone? With the hundreds of millions being spent on both Westfield and Oaklands station and underpass, surely there could have been some council/developer and government extra funding for this relatively small extra amount.

how good is he
Legendary Member!

#707 Post by how good is he » Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:20 pm

Exactly. Question is why wasn’t it even proposed or done?

AndyWelsh
Legendary Member!

[COM] Oaklands Crossing | $174m

#708 Post by AndyWelsh » Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:20 pm

I know you guys are talking about the station being tied into the Westfield Marion area more substantially, but I was sure that the current works had provided at least some small consideration to this. These 2 images were about the best evidence I could find of this though.

Also, just as an update, the current newsletter says:

“All site works will ramp up again from 7 January 2019. The project is working towards connecting the new rail line in April 2019, to allow the new station to open after this.”

https://ptpa-public-assets.s3.amazonaws ... r_2018.pdf

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#709 Post by Norman » Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:40 pm

how good is he wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:38 am
Aidan wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:17 am
The thing about railway stations is they have to be built where the railway tracks are!
D’oh, obviously move the tracks as well as the station. You were joking with that comment, right?
The question then becomes... how do you schedule these trains?

With trains already running every 7.5 minutes from Seaford and every 15-20 minutes from Flinders in peak hour, there isn't a lot of room left to accommodate more trains to and from a singe stop terminus. Will they run express from Woodlands Park? All stops alongside the Flinders Line?

What do you do outside peak hour? Do you have trains every 30 minutes to serve the centre? That will hardly give an incentive when there are already many bus services leaving Marion Shopping Centre much more frequently.

Then there are the existing lack of attractions in Marion. Apart from the swimming centre (which is already within walking distance from the existing Oaklands Station) and the shopping centre there is not much more around. Outside of shopping hours the area is dead.

What should be done instead is to establish higher density housing around the station and establish a corridor between Marion Shopping Centre and the station, including a covered walkway, attractive/more convenient connections over Diagonal Road and, in time, a higher diversity of land uses around the existing Marion Triangle, especially along the new corridor.

Aidan

#710 Post by Aidan » Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:08 am

ml69,
Why do you think buses that stop st other train stations should also detour to Oaklands?

how good is he,
I presume you're joking — the station's about 800m from the shopping centre!
Or were you proposing a spur as Norman seems to think you were?

claybro,
You'd never get the houses that cheap!
And Diagonal Road is a major urban arterial, not at all well suited to that kind of traffic calming.
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

claybro

#711 Post by claybro » Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:54 am

Aidan wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:08 am
ml69,
Why do you think buses that stop st other train stations should also detour to Oaklands?

how good is he,
I presume you're joking — the station's about 800m from the shopping centre!
Or were you proposing a spur as Norman seems to think you were?

claybro,
You'd never get the houses that cheap!
And Diagonal Road is a major urban arterial, not at all well suited to that kind of traffic calming.
Aidan, the houses in that location adjacent to the intersection sell for around $500000-$600000. There are 5 of them. Re traffic calming.. well if they can put a pedestrian activated crossing on Park Terrace, then I don't see diagonal road as much of an issue. Most of the traffic on that section of diagonal road is from the Marion car park anyway.

how good is he
Legendary Member!

#712 Post by how good is he » Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:24 pm

Exactly. Aidan as I said “ I still don’t know/understand why they couldn’t/didn’t either extend it some 500m and/or acquire the few properties in between.” The ideal result would have been to re-align and continue the train line underground near to the Aquatic Centre/Westfield & re-connect to a re-aligned existing line without a need for a spur.

ml69
Legendary Member!

#713 Post by ml69 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:47 am

Aidan wrote:
ml69,
If you read my comment again, that is NOT what I said.

Many bus services terminate and originate from the Marion bus interchange. It is a hub for the region. My point is that these services should also include the new train station as well, which with well-timed services should make for a speedy ride into or out of the CBD.

Eurostar
Legendary Member!

#714 Post by Eurostar » Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:59 am

ml69 wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:47 am
Aidan wrote:
ml69,
If you read my comment again, that is NOT what I said.

Many bus services terminate and originate from the Marion bus interchange. It is a hub for the region. My point is that these services should also include the new train station as well, which with well-timed services should make for a speedy ride into or out of the CBD.
The 645 and 646 bus routes should be extended to the Oaklands Railway Station

Goodsy
Legendary Member!

#715 Post by Goodsy » Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:43 pm

from the DPTI Facebook page

Pistol
Legendary Member!

#716 Post by Pistol » Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:05 pm

So wondering when anything like this will ever be done on the Northern line.
I guess they need to start with electrification first...

The Gawler line is really neglected when you see infrastructure like this being build on the Seaford line..
Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken

claybro

#717 Post by claybro » Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:08 am

If the "northerners" want better infrastructure then they need to be a bit more discerning with their votes and become swinging voters. Labor favoured the Seaford line and indeed the duplication of the Southern Expressway as a means of swaying voters in the southern marginal seats. Marginals in the North were few and far between,

OlympusAnt
High Rise Poster!

#718 Post by OlympusAnt » Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:49 pm

Pistol wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:05 pm
So wondering when anything like this will ever be done on the Northern line.
I guess they need to start with electrification first...

The Gawler line is really neglected when you see infrastructure like this being build on the Seaford line..
When the seats up there are safer than houses, there's no real priority on infrastructure.
Follow me on Flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/135625678@N06/

arki
High Rise Poster!

#719 Post by arki » Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:15 pm

Is the current sheltering and other station equipment going to be reused at another station? Seems like a waste that one of the only upgraded stations in the last decade is out of use when other stations are nothing more than concrete slabs and a bench.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#720 Post by Norman » Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:04 pm

Some photos from the weekend