[U/C] Burnside Village (Extension)

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

[U/C] Re: COM: Burnside Village Redevelopment | $107m

#211 Post by Norman » Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:24 pm

Burnside Village planning $131m expansion, in discussions with H&M and Uniqlo
Eugene Boisvert, Eastern Courier Messenger
an hour ago

BURNSIDE Village is planning a $131 million expansion and is in discussions with retailers such as H&M and Uniqlo to bolster its reputation as a fashion mecca.

The project would be the most expensive in the Glenside shopping centre’s 45-year history.

Plans are in early stages, according to Titanium Property Investment director Tim Atkins, who centre owner The Cohen Group has engaged for advice.

Retail space would increase by 35 per cent to about 31,000sq m.

Mr Atkins said discussions had taken place with “a number of interested retailers” — including fashion outlets H&M and Uniqlo — to join ZARA at the shopping centre.

“We’re talking to a lot of those (fashion retailers),” Mr Atkins said.

“Not all of them will be relevant to our customers, but because of its reputation nationally and internationally some of these retailers see Burnside Village as one of the premier shopping destinations in Adelaide.”

Williams Sonoma, Pottery Barn and COS had also been approached to open their first Adelaide stores at Burnside Village, Mr Atkins said.

The last redevelopment of the shopping centre cost $100 million in 2011.

It included placing a 100-year-old river red gum under a glass atrium, however, the tree died two years later.

“Our concept plan doesn’t include the alteration or removal of any significant trees,” Mr Atkins said.

The Cohen Group controls most of the shopping centre’s block, after buying the row of shops at the corner of Greenhill and Portrush roads for $3.6 million in 2016.

However, Mr Atkins said it was “unlikely” the company would expand the centre all the way to Greenhill Rd.

Burnside Mayor David Parkin and chief executive Paul Deb have met three times with The Cohen Group over the past six months to receive updates on the expansion, including how it might be co-ordinated with the council’s plans for its own civic centre.

That proposal, which would be completed over 30 years, includes moving the civic centre carpark underground to create space for a park, which would be surrounded by apartment and office buildings.

“The fact (The Cohen Group) has the confidence to come up with a $131 million plan for the site is a compliment to them, and to our council and the municipal surroundings that we provide,” Mr Parkin said.

New restaurants would also be included in the shopping centre development.

“I think they’re aware that they need to move more in that direction — to provide more restaurants and more for after 5.30pm, and I understand that is part of their plans,” Mr Parkin said.

The State Coordinator-General is guiding the project through the planning process.

Mr Atkins expected more detailed plans to be ready by April or May.

Burnside Village history
1972: Burnside Village opens on Portrush Rd.
1988: Underground carpark, Coles and atrium added.
1992: $4m extension boasting Australia’s largest pharmacy.
2001: $1.5m makeover including fountains and more outdoor dining.
2007: 300-space, multistorey carpark added.
2011: $100m upgrade including an extra 35 shops, a 100-year-old river red gum under a glass ceiling, and 500 more parking spaces.
2013: The tree dies.

Patrick_27
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#212 Post by Patrick_27 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:09 pm

Norman wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:24 pm
Burnside Village planning $131m expansion, in discussions with H&M and Uniqlo
Eugene Boisvert, Eastern Courier Messenger
an hour ago

BURNSIDE Village is planning a $131 million expansion and is in discussions with retailers such as H&M and Uniqlo to bolster its reputation as a fashion mecca.

The project would be the most expensive in the Glenside shopping centre’s 45-year history.

Plans are in early stages, according to Titanium Property Investment director Tim Atkins, who centre owner The Cohen Group has engaged for advice.

Retail space would increase by 35 per cent to about 31,000sq m.

Mr Atkins said discussions had taken place with “a number of interested retailers” — including fashion outlets H&M and Uniqlo — to join ZARA at the shopping centre.

“We’re talking to a lot of those (fashion retailers),” Mr Atkins said.

“Not all of them will be relevant to our customers, but because of its reputation nationally and internationally some of these retailers see Burnside Village as one of the premier shopping destinations in Adelaide.”

Williams Sonoma, Pottery Barn and COS had also been approached to open their first Adelaide stores at Burnside Village, Mr Atkins said.

The last redevelopment of the shopping centre cost $100 million in 2011.

It included placing a 100-year-old river red gum under a glass atrium, however, the tree died two years later.

“Our concept plan doesn’t include the alteration or removal of any significant trees,” Mr Atkins said.

The Cohen Group controls most of the shopping centre’s block, after buying the row of shops at the corner of Greenhill and Portrush roads for $3.6 million in 2016.

However, Mr Atkins said it was “unlikely” the company would expand the centre all the way to Greenhill Rd.

Burnside Mayor David Parkin and chief executive Paul Deb have met three times with The Cohen Group over the past six months to receive updates on the expansion, including how it might be co-ordinated with the council’s plans for its own civic centre.

That proposal, which would be completed over 30 years, includes moving the civic centre carpark underground to create space for a park, which would be surrounded by apartment and office buildings.

“The fact (The Cohen Group) has the confidence to come up with a $131 million plan for the site is a compliment to them, and to our council and the municipal surroundings that we provide,” Mr Parkin said.

New restaurants would also be included in the shopping centre development.

“I think they’re aware that they need to move more in that direction — to provide more restaurants and more for after 5.30pm, and I understand that is part of their plans,” Mr Parkin said.

The State Coordinator-General is guiding the project through the planning process.

Mr Atkins expected more detailed plans to be ready by April or May.

Burnside Village history
1972: Burnside Village opens on Portrush Rd.
1988: Underground carpark, Coles and atrium added.
1992: $4m extension boasting Australia’s largest pharmacy.
2001: $1.5m makeover including fountains and more outdoor dining.
2007: 300-space, multistorey carpark added.
2011: $100m upgrade including an extra 35 shops, a 100-year-old river red gum under a glass ceiling, and 500 more parking spaces.
2013: The tree dies.
As much as I'd like to see Burnside Village finish their expansion towards Greenhill Road, I hope that neither H&M or Uniqlo buy into any expansion, Zara opening at the centre has no doubt killed off some of their potential consumers in Adelaide because it's such an exclusive location where a large portion people wouldn't actually go to do their shopping, not to mention the lack of public transport to and from the centre to the city. Why can't Burnside Village go for a smaller David Jones (similar to Malvern Central in Melbourne) and a Palace Nova Cinemas? This would appeal to their target markets and still have the potential to bring in new customers. And before anyone mentions the Tram Cinemas on Greenhill Road, they're probably the worst cinemas in Adelaide.

Brucetiki
Legendary Member!

#213 Post by Brucetiki » Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:42 pm

Patrick_27 wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:09 pm
As much as I'd like to see Burnside Village finish their expansion towards Greenhill Road, I hope that neither H&M or Uniqlo buy into any expansion, Zara opening at the centre has no doubt killed off some of their potential consumers in Adelaide because it's such an exclusive location where a large portion people wouldn't actually go to do their shopping, not to mention the lack of public transport to and from the centre to the city. Why can't Burnside Village go for a smaller David Jones (similar to Malvern Central in Melbourne) and a Palace Nova Cinemas? This would appeal to their target markets and still have the potential to bring in new customers. And before anyone mentions the Tram Cinemas on Greenhill Road, they're probably the worst cinemas in Adelaide.
I believe the West Lakes DJ's is a similar concept to what they've done in Malvern.

DJ's would be a perfect fit for Burnside.

While I would never object to a H&M and Uniqlo opening anywhere in Adelaide (though my wallet may object :lol: ), is Burnside the right fit for them? Mind you, there's a H&M in Bondi Junction, so maybe it will work.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#214 Post by Ben » Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:19 pm

H & M is basically European Cotton On. I don't think its their target market, but Chadstone in Melbourne has all the cheap stores as well as the more upmarket ones. CBD is definitely the priority and that part of Adelaide is so close to the city I don't think both locations would be warranted.

Patrick_27

#215 Post by Patrick_27 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:22 pm

An article in the Eastern Courier states that Cohen Group will proceed with a $131m expansion of Burnside Village but not toward Greenhill Road (where they own almost all of the smaller shops along that strip) but instead on the southern side or the site? Unless they plan to go up, which would require a significant reconfiguration of the centre, I don't see how this would work and even then. They intend on lodging plans with the state government by May.

how good is he
Legendary Member!

#216 Post by how good is he » Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:13 am

Considering the $107m cost of the re~ development do you think it may include cinemas? If they want to attract restaurants and activity after 5.30pm this may be the new anchor?

Plasmatron
High Rise Poster!

#217 Post by Plasmatron » Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:25 pm

A cinema would fit nicely above Coles... but they would probably need more parking too. Does anyone know the height limit for the area?
https://www.youtube.com/UltraVibeProductions

Nathan

#218 Post by Nathan » Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:30 pm

There's a (small) cinema already across the road.

wilkiebarkid
Donating Member
Donating Member

#219 Post by wilkiebarkid » Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:15 pm

Patrick_27 wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:22 pm
An article in the Eastern Courier states that Cohen Group will proceed with a $131m expansion of Burnside Village but not toward Greenhill Road (where they own almost all of the smaller shops along that strip) but instead on the southern side or the site? Unless they plan to go up, which would require a significant reconfiguration of the centre, I don't see how this would work and even then. They intend on lodging plans with the state government by May.
Interesting, because most of the shops on the northern side (Greenhill Road) are empty and only offering short term or pop up terms.

nath199
Sen-Rookie-Sational

[U/C] Re: Burnside Village (Extension)

#220 Post by nath199 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:40 pm

Burnside have lodged their application as of 16/1. Are these plans visible/available anywhere online?
Attachments
burnside.JPG
burnside.JPG (18.11 KiB) Viewed 6826 times

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#221 Post by Ben » Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:54 pm

Usually not until it goes on public notification (if it does) otherwise it will be when it going to the meeting to be approved.

Mpol03
Legendary Member!

#222 Post by Mpol03 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:20 pm

Working at the centre I have heard talking of them wanting to extend out to Green Hill Rd, with a boutique DJs much like we’ve seen being rolled out in other states, with a possible inclusion of HnM and cinemas.

Patrick_27

#223 Post by Patrick_27 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:06 pm

Mpol03 wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:20 pm
Working at the centre I have heard talking of them wanting to extend out to Green Hill Rd, with a boutique DJs much like we’ve seen being rolled out in other states, with a possible inclusion of HnM and cinemas.
I also work in the centre and that is completely inaccurate information.. At this point there are too many logistical issues with them extending out toward Greenhill Road (traffic being one). The centre has never even touted cinemas, nor will they. Even with doubt hanging over the future of Trak Cinemas, the argument has always been with Norwood and Mitcham take all the market share for that side of the city (not that I agree wit that point, I think there is room for a Palace Nova). As for DJs, it was discussed in the last redevelopment and neither DJs or the centre were interested in the idea. The upgrade plans are to go up; what I have heard is they want to enclose the courtyard area, and similar to Marion and TTP, having two levels with a tear overlooking the ground level. I don't necessarily agree with this idea, I think it'll ruin whatever aesthetic the centre has left, I would prefer an extension out to Greenville Road...

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#224 Post by crawf » Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:25 pm

Patrick_27 wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:06 pm
Mpol03 wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:20 pm
I also work in the centre and that is completely inaccurate information.. At this point there are too many logistical issues with them extending out toward Greenhill Road (traffic being one). The centre has never even touted cinemas, nor will they. Even with doubt hanging over the future of Trak Cinemas, the argument has always been with Norwood and Mitcham take all the market share for that side of the city (not that I agree wit that point, I think there is room for a Palace Nova). As for DJs, it was discussed in the last redevelopment and neither DJs or the centre were interested in the idea. The upgrade plans are to go up; what I have heard is they want to enclose the courtyard area, and similar to Marion and TTP, having two levels with a tear overlooking the ground level. I don't necessarily agree with this idea, I think it'll ruin whatever aesthetic the centre has left, I would prefer an extension out to Greenville Road...
On Google Maps, a vacant shop on Greenhill Road has a Burnside Village sign showing it's up for short term lease or a pop up. To me that indicates that there is plans to eventually demolish those buildings along Greenhill Road and expand the Village. $131 million would probably be the cost of such development.

Either way the next 24 months could be a busy time in retail development. With Burnside, Marion and potentially TTP undergoing major expansions which will see a number of new retail brands to Adelaide.

A-Town
High Rise Poster!

#225 Post by A-Town » Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:52 pm

I think a boutique David Jones store like the one at West Lakes would be a great addition to Burnside.