[SWP] Lot 14 (Old RAH Site)

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

[SWP] Re: Lot 14 (Old RAH Site)

#496 Post by SRW » Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:27 pm

I guess we can say the contemporary art gallery is officially dead in the water, as SA Liberals launch $200,000 consultation for indigenous art gallery at Lot 14:
https://indaily.com.au/news/local/2019/ ... e-gallery/

It's not that the indigenous art gallery is an unworthy ambition, as a nation-leading gallery would be an important and popular attraction. It's just that a contemporary art gallery is equally worthy and it's a waste of resources to end all the efforts made to this point.
Keep Adelaide Weird

Nort
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#497 Post by Nort » Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:47 pm

SRW wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:27 pm
I guess we can say the contemporary art gallery is officially dead in the water, as SA Liberals launch $200,000 consultation for indigenous art gallery at Lot 14:

It's not that the indigenous art gallery is an unworthy ambition, as a nation-leading gallery would be an important and popular attraction. It's just that a contemporary art gallery is equally worthy and it's a waste of resources to end all the efforts made to this point.
Unless you have access to a time machine then that's the sunk cost fallacy right there. Since the election it's been clear the state government had their own plans for this site and so spending any more resources on an obsolete plan would be just more waste.

PeFe

#498 Post by PeFe » Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:06 pm

I gotta say I am liking the idea of an indigenous art gallery more and more (especially now that Darwin proposal seems to be going nowhere)

There are plenty of other contemporary art galleries around the country (or on the drawing boards) so 'something different" is called for if Adelaide wants to attract more international attention in the art world (and also in the tourism world)

Jaymz
Legendary Member!

#499 Post by Jaymz » Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:40 pm

PeFe wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:06 pm
I gotta say I am liking the idea of an indigenous art gallery more and more (especially now that Darwin proposal seems to be going nowhere)

There are plenty of other contemporary art galleries around the country (or on the drawing boards) so 'something different" is called for if Adelaide wants to attract more international attention in the art world (and also in the tourism world)
Yep, the N.T Govt. is in a dire financial position, so can hardly see them being able to justify a single dollar into an art gallery of any kind.

Also, a year ago I was one of those wanting to incorporate a contemporary component into the proposed indigenous gallery. But after visiting our current art gallery for the first time only late last year, I realised there's no need. It was way above my expectations to say the least, plus just read many of the reviews on TripAdvisor, with many saying it is not only one of the finest in the country but also up there on a world scale already. Sure, it's no MONA, but there's a large enough contemporary component to be more than relevant.

Waewick

#500 Post by Waewick » Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:20 pm

Jaymz wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:40 pm
PeFe wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:06 pm

Yep, the N.T Govt. is in a dire financial position, so can hardly see them being able to justify a single dollar into an art gallery of any kind.

Also, a year ago I was one of those wanting to incorporate a contemporary component into the proposed indigenous gallery. But after visiting our current art gallery for the first time only late last year, I realised there's no need. It was way above my expectations to say the least, plus just read many of the reviews on TripAdvisor, with many saying it is not only one of the finest in the country but also up there on a world scale already. Sure, it's no MONA, but there's a large enough contemporary component to be more than relevant.
I go to the Art Gallery fairly regularly and agree, it is up there with anywhere else I've been in the world.

I think anouther benefit, will be that the indigenous portion of the Art Gallery will hopefully be incorporated into the new gallery, freeing up more space in the Art Gallery for other works. That isn't suggesting that the Art Gallery shouldn't have indigenous art of course.

shiftaling
High Rise Poster!

#501 Post by shiftaling » Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:14 pm

Our art gallery is fantastic, but it's just small! I have absolutely no insider knowledge of it but I can't help thinking that most of the collection must be in storage. The website says "The Art Gallery of South Australia has one of the largest art museum collections in Australia, comprising almost 45,000 works".

Now the NGV in Melbourne say they have about 75,000 works, yet you feel like you could spend a couple of days in just one of the two galleries of the NGV and yet a few hours walk around AGSA and it's time for coffee and cake. So where are all the artworks? Is it a matter of limited gallery space?

Jaymz
Legendary Member!

#502 Post by Jaymz » Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:09 pm

shiftaling wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:14 pm
Our art gallery is fantastic, but it's just small! I have absolutely no insider knowledge of it but I can't help thinking that most of the collection must be in storage. The website says "The Art Gallery of South Australia has one of the largest art museum collections in Australia, comprising almost 45,000 works".

Now the NGV in Melbourne say they have about 75,000 works, yet you feel like you could spend a couple of days in just one of the two galleries of the NGV and yet a few hours walk around AGSA and it's time for coffee and cake. So where are all the artworks? Is it a matter of limited gallery space?
Yep I've heard and read that too, but I'm pretty sure much of the collection in storage is indigenous. Could be wrong though, I'm hardly an expert on these things.

Nort

#503 Post by Nort » Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:16 pm

Probably the case, the State Museum basically has a warehouse of indigenous items.

Every new government changes from what the previous one had planned to make their Mark, and as those types of changes go getting a good indigenous art gallery is a great result.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#504 Post by SRW » Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:17 pm

Nort wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:47 pm
SRW wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:27 pm

Unless you have access to a time machine then that's the sunk cost fallacy right there. Since the election it's been clear the state government had their own plans for this site and so spending any more resources on an obsolete plan would be just more waste.
Only if it didn't remain a worthwhile project, and IMO it absolutely does.
shiftaling wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:14 pm

This is why the contemporary art gallery remains an important goal. The Art Gallery's former director Nick Mitzevich initiated the contemporary proposal because of limited space. It wasn't just about contemporary art, it was about freeing up exhibition space too.

That said, it's worth saying that I think the SA Museum and AGSA between them have probably the largest collection of Aboriginal art and artefacts in the world. They also deserve the prominence of a dedicated gallery like that now being pursued.
Keep Adelaide Weird

Nathan

#505 Post by Nathan » Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:34 pm

Nort wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:16 pm
Probably the case, the State Museum basically has a warehouse of indigenous items.

Every new government changes from what the previous one had planned to make their Mark, and as those types of changes go getting a good indigenous art gallery is a great result.
The problem is, this plays into the narrative that the Adelaide Contemporary was a Labor government project, and that the Liberal government had to give an alternative vision. It was not.

Nathan

#506 Post by Nathan » Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:36 pm

SRW wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:17 pm
That said, it's worth saying that I think the SA Museum and AGSA between them have probably the largest collection of Aboriginal art and artefacts in the world. They also deserve the prominence of a dedicated gallery like that now being pursued.
I recall an opinion piece written by a collector who had extensive knowledge of the museums Aboriginal collection saying that whilst the collection is indeed very large and is mostly in storage, much of the good stuff is already on display. The rest is mostly just more examples of the same things.

madelaide
Gold-Member ;)

#507 Post by madelaide » Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:59 pm

Would bring much joy if they considered the Bjarke Ingels Group and JPE Design Studio Contemporary submission for use as the Indigenous Gallery/Museum. Design is best represented in this video... https://vimeo.com/264263011

The image of the proposed gallery released by the Liberal Party ahead of last year's state election is bland and disconnected from the Botanic Gardens.

Aesthetically, the JPE design is the most interesting, unlike any other building in the city, feels most like it would adapt to multiple purposes and furthermore, the snaking rooftop path might find its place representing the Rainbow Serpent story from Indigenous Dreaming.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#508 Post by SRW » Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:43 pm

madelaide wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:59 pm
Would bring much joy if they considered the Bjarke Ingels Group and JPE Design Studio Contemporary submission for use as the Indigenous Gallery/Museum. Design is best represented in this video... https://vimeo.com/264263011

The image of the proposed gallery released by the Liberal Party ahead of last year's state election is bland and disconnected from the Botanic Gardens.

Aesthetically, the JPE design is the most interesting, unlike any other building in the city, feels most like it would adapt to multiple purposes and furthermore, the snaking rooftop path might find its place representing the Rainbow Serpent story from Indigenous Dreaming.
The Liberals are proposing to spend only $60 million versus $250 million for the Adelaide Contemporary project. Architectural expectations will have to be correspondingly downgraded.
Keep Adelaide Weird

Jaymz
Legendary Member!

#509 Post by Jaymz » Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:14 pm

SRW wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:43 pm
madelaide wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:59 pm

The Liberals are proposing to spend only $60 million versus $250 million for the Adelaide Contemporary project. Architectural expectations will have to be correspondingly downgraded.
Source?

SBD

#510 Post by SBD » Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:19 pm

Didn't the original proposal for a modern art gallery come from the Art Gallery of South Australia to provide more space for it to display more of its collection and visiting exhibitions, and the proposal for an indigenous culture gallery come from the South Australian Museum so that it could have more space.

Both requirements are still valid. I don't know if both places fit on the old RAH site along with everything else that is now going to be there or if there are any other sites available that could satisfy either requirement.