News & Discussion: Trams

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

Re: News & Discussion: Trams

#3946 Post by SRW » Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:16 am

Nathan wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:36 pm
I think using the Le Cornu site as a car park would be a terrible idea, and set a precedent which they'll struggle to ever come back from. The public chucks a fit if you dare remove one or two street parks from a road for improvements (see Jetty Rd Glenelg), and I'd imagine once people are used to parking there you'll never be able to take them away.
Tbh I expect action on the site sooner than it would be worthwhile to turn into a carpark anyway. The council took a huge financial gamble purchasing this site on the basis that it was intolerable to let it sit idle any longer. It demands prompt development to make good on that promise.

A tramline up O'Connell would go a good way to making such development more economic, not to mention countless other benefits of interconnection between the square mile and North Adelaide.
Keep Adelaide Weird

Eurostar
Legendary Member!

#3947 Post by Eurostar » Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:00 pm

Traffic lights at the city south tram stop were off today. Noticed the lights were playing up

arki
High Rise Poster!

#3948 Post by arki » Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:49 pm

Finally! Hopefully signals get overhauled too to prevent it taking 10 mins between Vic Sq and South Tce.
Cars to be banned from driving on the tram tracks in southern section of King William St
Simeon Thomas-Wilson, City Editor, The Advertiser

Two lanes for cars will be removed from King William St and the number of right turns slashed, under an upgrade of the tram stop and track in the city’s south.

The Advertiser can reveal that the need to upgrade the City South tram stop to allow proper disability access will result in the tram line between Victoria Square and South Tce emulating the track north of Victoria Sq - where trams have their own dedicated corridor that drivers aren’t allowed to enter.

At least two intersections are set to have right hand turns from King William St removed, and on-street parking will also be cut.

The number of right turns from King William St will be cut, and right turns ON to King William St could be cut also.
Abolishing right hand turns on to King William St is also a possibility under the $17.5 million upgrade.

Transport Minister Stephan Knoll says will reduce delays across the Adelaide tram network, increase safety for road users and tram patrons and upgrade the long-neglected City South tram stop to meet Disability and Discrimination Act requirements.

“The existing tram tracks on King William Street between South Terrace and Victoria Square were constructed in the early 1980s and are reaching the end of their useful life,” he said.

“Therefore, these are necessary and important works that must occur and importantly also gives an opportunity to make the City South tram stop DDA compliant.

“This project will also reduce delays to current tram operations and improve the safety along King William Street for both road and tram users.”

To do this there will be modifications to existing traffic arrangements in the southern part of King William St.

Play
Mute
0:00
/
2:23
Fullscreen

Adelaide tram explained
Lord Mayor Sandy Verschoor said the funding to upgrade the tram stop was something the council was pushing for a long time, with the existing platforms not having signage, ramps, tactile ground surface indicators or enough space for wheelchair access.

“I look forward to this project making the tram network safer and more accessible for everyone,” she said.

The upgrade was allocated $11.7 million in last year’s State Budget, with Mr Knoll saying the increase in total cost was due to a change in the project scope.

The State Government has begun a consultation process with local businesses and residents, which Mr Knoll said was to minimise disruption as much as possible.

“A top priority will be providing support to local businesses that may be affected by this project,” he said.

Ms Verschoor said the council would do its bit as well.

“Council will work closely with the Government to ensure the impact of construction on local small businesses and residents is minimised as much as possible,” she said.

“Along with my fellow members, I look forward to seeing the community engagement outcomes and to viewing the final design.”

The North Terrace tram stops were upgraded in 2018; the station between Victoria Square and South Terrace is next. Picture: AAP / Brenton Edwards
In 2007 when the tram was extended from Victoria Square to North Tce right hand turns off of King William St were removed.

That extension caused concern and mass hysteria over traffic snarls and accessibility, however once complete, opposition to the project quickly waned.

South Ward councillor Alexander Hyde said the design needed to be right to ensure there wasn’t a repeat.

“The devil will be in the detail, commuters and businesses won’t be happy with any design that removes parking or limits accessibility in the city,” he said.

Charles Mountain RAA senior manager road safety said accessibility and access for vehicles from King William St needed to be factored into the redevelopment.

“There are benefits to making it tram only," he said.

“It is safer and it does provide more surety to the tram service.

“But the impacts on accessibility and access from King William St must be considered as part of any traffic management plan.”

The design works for the upgrade are underway, ahead of construction expected to begin in the second quarter of this year and completed in the third quarter - subject to weather.

Cycling facilities will be maintained along both sides of King William St.

Nathan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#3949 Post by Nathan » Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:59 pm

Hooray!

Regarding relaying the tracks, I suppose that means closing the entire network given the location of the depot?

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#3950 Post by crawf » Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:30 pm

Looong overdue!

Interesting it's going to be side platforms. Also I wish they would introduce real time information screens for all the tram stops.

kymbosa
High Rise Poster!

#3951 Post by kymbosa » Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:40 am

crawf wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:30 pm
Looong overdue!

Interesting it's going to be side platforms. Also I wish they would introduce real time information screens for all the tram stops.
Oh no to side platforms. This slows the trams even more.

The current set up at city south allows a better flow for the trams through the lights. While red the boarding takes place, than on green the tram heads off.

The issues with this set up is that a tram travelling north now stops at the lights, travels across the intersection to stop again, therefore adding time to the trip.

Yes totally agree with the real time information, should be added to tram stops in town.

rubberman

#3952 Post by rubberman » Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:20 am

kymbosa wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:40 am
crawf wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:30 pm
Looong overdue!

The current set up at city south allows a better flow for the trams through the lights. While red the boarding takes place, than on green the tram heads off.

The issues with this set up is that a tram travelling north now stops at the lights, travels across the intersection to stop again, therefore adding time to the trip.

Yes totally agree with the real time information, should be added to tram stops in town.
How do side platforms slow trams?

Side platforms mean you can use substitute buses if the tram service is disrupted elsewhere, or if extra capacity is needed for a special event. With centre island platforms, you can't substitute buses at the stop...you have to relocate the whole stop to a temporary location. Centre island stops are a last resort, or for cities that use dedicated light rail (ie, non-street running and just lighter than heavy rail) and no street running.

citywatcher
Legendary Member!

#3953 Post by citywatcher » Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:44 am

For a govt that slashes and hates trams it finds millions to spend on unnecessarily doing up a little used tram stop that will create traffic chaos
Typical

Sent from my SM-J730G using Tapatalk

Nort

#3954 Post by Nort » Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:05 am

citywatcher wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:44 am
For a govt that slashes and hates trams it finds millions to spend on unnecessarily doing up a little used tram stop that will create traffic chaos
Typical

In 2007 when the tram was extended from Victoria Square to North Tce right hand turns off of King William St were removed.

That extension caused concern and mass hysteria over traffic snarls and accessibility, however once complete, opposition to the project quickly waned.
It begins.

SBD

#3955 Post by SBD » Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:58 am

citywatcher wrote:
Typical
WHY is it little-used?

Could it be because it's narrow and not disabled-compliant?

Are there more apartments, hotel rooms or offices near that stop than there were when it was last renovated? Are there more that are proposed, or ready to be proposed once the tram stop is improved?

[Shuz]

#3956 Post by [Shuz] » Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:01 am

City South is not some little used tram stop. There are several apartment and office developments that have sprung up in the immediate vicinity that are home to a significant number of residents and workers who utilize this stop.

Also the station is not in compliance with disability accessibility standards, which, if I recall correctly, it was legislated in 1992 that all public transport infrastructure has to be disability compliant by 2020. The upgrade will address this.

This upgrade is long overdue and a great investment, and hopefully this will be the start of many other small, but worthwhile improvements to the tram network.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

mattwinter
High Rise Poster!

#3957 Post by mattwinter » Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:14 am

Fantastic... about time. Always such a joke when a tram of 80 people gets held up by one guy waiting for the light to go orange to turn right...

Plenty of complainers on the Advertiser website about right hand turns being removed, I don't think it's a big deal, but I wonder if they would consider hook turns?

arki
High Rise Poster!

#3958 Post by arki » Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:17 am

kymbosa wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:40 am

The issues with this set up is that a tram travelling north now stops at the lights, travels across the intersection to stop again,
This isn't true with proper signal synchronisation. For example the stop at Pirie St is right after a set of signals if heading north, but you will find a tram rarely gets stopped here. You know it is synchronised with the tram because the lights change to red almost immediately after a tram crosses.

Patrick_27

#3959 Post by Patrick_27 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:54 am

citywatcher wrote:
Typical

Spoken like someone whose never travelled on the tram before... Aside from the abundance of office workers and people who live in that part of the city using the tram, both Muirden College and Pulteney Grammar students swarm that tram stop every day of the week.

rubberman

#3960 Post by rubberman » Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:54 am

citywatcher wrote:
Typical

This was a project originally put up under Labor. I have no problem with the stop upgrade. Although it does seem a bit of overkill, the stop as it is at the moment is too narrow. Whether it needs to be as elaborate and expensive as proposed? Dunno.

I am concerned about the relaying of that section though. Two reasons: first, in Melbourne, they'd just grind the bumps off and reconcrete the loose bits. Second, if it's done like Jetty Road, they use imported tram rail, rather than local Whyalla steel? Why? Either, just patch it up and it's good for 20 years, no disruption because it's done over a weekend, or if it must be done, use Whyalla steel rail.