SA Economy

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.
ghs
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: SA Economy

#346 Post by ghs » Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:50 pm

Jaymz wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:23 pm
Thanks for the info ml69.

I too have followed real estate for the past couple of decades. But it's mostly been Perth and Adelaide, as they've both been my home during that time. I was living in Perth when it boomed 15 years ago (prices doubled over a 3 year period) but it's now been in decline for the past 4 years. An interesting fact, Adelaide now has more $1 million suburbs than Perth.... who'd have thought :shock:
Brother, Adelaide affluent suburbs are smaller than Perth's. How big is College Park or Fitzroy for example ?
Of course we are going to have more million dollar suburbs when our suburbs are so small.

Jaymz
Legendary Member!

#347 Post by Jaymz » Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:15 am

ghs wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:50 pm
Jaymz wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:23 pm
Thanks for the info ml69.

I too have followed real estate for the past couple of decades. But it's mostly been Perth and Adelaide, as they've both been my home during that time. I was living in Perth when it boomed 15 years ago (prices doubled over a 3 year period) but it's now been in decline for the past 4 years. An interesting fact, Adelaide now has more $1 million suburbs than Perth.... who'd have thought :shock:
Brother, Adelaide affluent suburbs are smaller than Perth's. How big is College Park or Fitzroy for example ?
Of course we are going to have more million dollar suburbs when our suburbs are so small.
I think you'll find I touched on that very subject in my next comment, brother.

Aikhme
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#348 Post by Aikhme » Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:47 pm

I'm currently in Brisbane but Adelaide is in the heart.

I am dreading if I move back because of the work situation there.

The naysayers have really stifled Adelaide into the ground.

ghs

#349 Post by ghs » Sat Mar 02, 2019 1:34 pm

On the topic of brisbane, one thing which I can't work out is why Brisbane and Adelaide house prices
are similar, yet the job opportunities and economy are significantly better in brisbane.

Aikhme
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#350 Post by Aikhme » Sat Mar 02, 2019 1:39 pm

That's a good question.

Brisbane prices are dearer than Adelaide though, but yeh, they are not like Melbourne or Sydney.

I don't know. Supply and Demand?

maybe most people want to live in Sydney and Melbourne for some reason. Demand much greater.

Jaymz
Legendary Member!

#351 Post by Jaymz » Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:42 pm

Aikhme wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:47 pm

I think you'll find the Adelaide jobs market isnt that bad, of course depending on what industry youre in. The S.A unemployment rate often tracks around the same as QLD, sometimes even dipping lower.

Aikhme
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#352 Post by Aikhme » Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:19 pm

Jaymz wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:42 pm
Aikhme wrote:

I think you'll find the Adelaide jobs market isnt that bad, of course depending on what industry youre in. The S.A unemployment rate often tracks around the same as QLD, sometimes even dipping lower.
Thanks mate but we need to put this into perspective. Brisbane I think is the fastest growing Aussie city. Therefore, more jobs and growth and more opportunity than ADELAIDE.

Adelaide has a brain drain which often departs for either Melbourne or Brisbane.

Jaymz
Legendary Member!

#353 Post by Jaymz » Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:00 pm

If you're talking fastest growing city population wise, then Melbourne is the clear leader in both total increase and annual percentage change.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#354 Post by Will » Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:17 pm

Aikhme wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:19 pm
Jaymz wrote:
Aikhme wrote:

Thanks mate but we need to put this into perspective. Brisbane I think is the fastest growing Aussie city. Therefore, more jobs and growth and more opportunity than ADELAIDE.

Adelaide has a brain drain which often departs for either Melbourne or Brisbane.
What is your purpose on this forum?

It seems that all your posts are about giving yourself a pat on the back for moving to Brisbane.

Aikhme
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#355 Post by Aikhme » Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:22 pm

Will wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:17 pm
Aikhme wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:19 pm
Jaymz wrote:

What is your purpose on this forum?

It seems that all your posts are about giving yourself a pat on the back for moving to Brisbane.
I have an interest in Adelaide Development.

I consider Adelaide to be a buaetiful city. I grew up in Adelaide although not originally from Adelaide.

I do not pat myself on the back for moving to Brisbane. In fact, I do miss Adelaide quite a lot and am considering a move back.

I do not believe Brisbane is better than Adelaide other than perhaps it is better in terms of work, career and opportunity. Brisbane does lack Adelaide’s character. There are good aspects of Brisbane, but there are good aspects of Adelaide as well. I do prefer the drier weather too.

Yes I am currently in Brisbane but I am also nostalgic about Adelaide.

I do not understand why you think I am patting myself on the back for moving to Brisbane. I am also hoping this forum gives me a true perspective of what Adelaide is like today.

Like most people here, I do like seeing and reading about developments in Adelaide and wish there was more activity. I am an Adelaide United supporter but I hate the Crows and Port Power.

I do recall that there seems to be a conservative undercurrent in Adelaide which is anti development and progress which I think is a big shame.

how good is he
Legendary Member!

#356 Post by how good is he » Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:21 am

They say the (only?) good thing about Brisbane is that your 1 hr to the Gold Coast or Sunshine Coast..

Aikhme
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#357 Post by Aikhme » Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:28 am

how good is he wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:21 am
They say the (only?) good thing about Brisbane is that your 1 hr to the Gold Coast or Sunshine Coast..
And that is true. Sunshine and GC are Brisbane’s good points. Especially Sunshine Coast.

Not much good in Brisbane - maybe the river. But ADELAIDE is a better city imo. Got more character and culture. Better cafe and restaurant scene and Adelaide is just prettier than Brisbane imo.

Better weather too. Adelaide got 4 seasons.

Nort

#358 Post by Nort » Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:08 am

ghs wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 1:34 pm
On the topic of brisbane, one thing which I can't work out is why Brisbane and Adelaide house prices
are similar, yet the job opportunities and economy are significantly better in brisbane.
The geography and motorways of Brisbane makes it more appealing to live further out from the city, I imagine that helps a lot.

Jaymz
Legendary Member!

#359 Post by Jaymz » Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:30 am

Article form yesterdays Advertiser.....

"Deloitte Access Economics quarterly business outlook says South Australia economy ‘chugging’ along but low population growth a concern
Renato Castello, The Advertiser
April 14, 2019 11:30pm

South Australia’s economy has continued to prove sceptics wrong but poor population growth will be the “albatross around the neck” of the state’s longer term growth prospects, according to a business forecast.

The Deloitte Access Economics quarterly Business Outlook, released today, says that the SA economy continues to “chug away” with growth running at around 2 per cent, supported by public and private sector funding.

Low currency and interest rates have provided a “favourable backdrop” for the state which has “consistently proven the sceptics wrong” in navigating a downturn in mining, defence and car manufacturing industries.

“Further good news can be found in the fact that business confidence among the state’s small businesses has continued to rise,” the report says. “The stronger level of economic activity and improvement in business confidence is being reflected in the recent strength of business investment — a key contributor to the state’s economic growth over the past year.

“In particular, the more competitive $A and the positive, albeit slowing, global environment remain supportive for investment in the state’s export-oriented industries such as farming, food and beverage manufacturing and tourism.”

But the outlook says SA continues to “grapple” with the problem of low population growth and an ageing population.

“That’s because younger and more qualified South Australians continue to leave the state for the eastern seaboard,” it says.

“A steady and solid international migration are helping to provide an offset to that outflow, and have even supported a slight uptick in the rate of population growth in recent months.

“Even so, the state’s overall population growth remains below average, and it limits SA’s long term growth prospects.”

The report says private sector spending on electricity generation and transmission — the vast bulk in renewables — had been the state’s largest contributor to growth over the past two years representing almost three-fifths of total private investment."

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#360 Post by rev » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:28 pm

Our population has been an issue for a long time.

Theyve done nothing to address it. Now they think by opening the flood gates and bringing in 50,000 more foreigners from the third world it will fix things.

Instead of creating jobs, new industries to keep our people here, and to draw in people from interstate, our politicians think bringing in mostly non-integradable foreigners is the way to go.

Why do South Aussies leave for Melbourne and Sydney?
Jobs and economic opportunities.

So why wont they address the reasons why people leave....