[U/C] Port Adelaide Dock Spur Line

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
rhino
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[U/C] Re: Port Adelaide Dock Spur Line

#91 Post by rhino » Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:23 am

how good is he wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:06 am
I agree. I think though it needs to extend to St Vincent St, even if they need to demolish some of the Magistrates Court Building. One day they could link a tram connecting from here (St Vincent St) over the Nelson St bridge & down Semaphore Rd to the beach.
Rather than demolish the Magistrates Court Building, close that section of Baker Street and make access to the rest of Baker St via Webster Street.

Are there any other worthwhile tram routes/destinations from a St Vincent St station? Or is Semaphore the only one? Is Largs worthwhile? West Lakes Shore?
cheers,
Rhino

Listy
High Rise Poster!

#92 Post by Listy » Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:05 am

rhino wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:23 am
how good is he wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:06 am
I agree. I think though it needs to extend to St Vincent St, even if they need to demolish some of the Magistrates Court Building. One day they could link a tram connecting from here (St Vincent St) over the Nelson St bridge & down Semaphore Rd to the beach.
Rather than demolish the Magistrates Court Building, close that section of Baker Street and make access to the rest of Baker St via Webster Street.

Are there any other worthwhile tram routes/destinations from a St Vincent St station? Or is Semaphore the only one? Is Largs worthwhile? West Lakes Shore?
The distances in that area are not that great - Glanville station on the OH line is only a 5-10 minute stroll from Semaphore beach for instance. In the short term, I wonder if Glanville were simply renamed 'Semaphore', more people might realise & utilise it. Largs station is even closer.

Westside
High Rise Poster!

#93 Post by Westside » Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:22 pm

Listy wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:05 am
The distances in that area are not that great - Glanville station on the OH line is only a 5-10 minute stroll from Semaphore beach for instance. In the short term, I wonder if Glanville were simply renamed 'Semaphore', more people might realise & utilise it. Largs station is even closer.
It's nearly 1.5km. That's hardly a 5 min stroll - esp if you have beach gear, kids, etc in tow. But you're right, neither the distance nor the catchment are large enough to justify an extension at the moment. Maybe if they brought back the 333 route, the 157 could run from Military Rd, straight down Semaphore Rd Glanville and then to the new Port Dock station to provide better access to the area.

rhino

#94 Post by rhino » Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:12 pm

Westside wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:22 pm
Listy wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:05 am
It's nearly 1.5km. That's hardly a 5 min stroll - esp if you have beach gear, kids, etc in tow. But you're right, neither the distance nor the catchment are large enough to justify an extension at the moment. Maybe if they brought back the 333 route, the 157 could run from Military Rd, straight down Semaphore Rd Glanville and then to the new Port Dock station to provide better access to the area.
I suspect that St Vincent St - Jervois Bridge - Hart St - Swan St - Semaphore Road would be better utilised than going over the Birkenhead bridge, especially for an electric tram.
cheers,
Rhino

[Shuz]

#95 Post by [Shuz] » Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:37 pm

Glanville and Ethelton both sorely need an upgrade, even if it's in the same simple station style like St. Clair, and a name change for Glanville to Semaphore, I'm sure patronage would increase a bit.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

how good is he
Legendary Member!

#96 Post by how good is he » Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:29 pm

Yes I’m surprised when they did Newport Quays it wasn’t done & they are doing it for Dock One with this new station/extension. Now with Fletchers Slip, Cedar Woods’ new 500 home development nearby I think it’s needed. Btw, do you think this will fall under the suburb name Newport?
Last edited by how good is he on Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OlympusAnt
High Rise Poster!

#97 Post by OlympusAnt » Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:30 pm

Glanville could be made into an island platform closer to the road. Nothing uses that middle bit.
Follow me on Flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/135625678@N06/

PD2/20
High Rise Poster!

#98 Post by PD2/20 » Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:05 am

OlympusAnt wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:30 pm
Glanville could be made into an island platform closer to the road. Nothing uses that middle bit.
In the current timetable there are several morning peak services that start from Glanville.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#99 Post by Norman » Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:32 pm

The development application is now online: https://www.saplanningcommission.sa.gov ... ucture.pdf

For those interested in how the station will be serviced, here is the info:
The operational frequency of the Port Dock line is considered to be:
· Peak hours (7am-9am and 3pm-6pm on weekdays): Services every 20 minutes (i.e. three trains per hour ineach direction/total of six train movements per hour)
· Off peak hours (Weekdays: 5am-7am, 9am-3pm, 6pm-12am; Weekends: 5am-12am): Services every 30minutes (i.e two trains per hour in each direction/total of four train movements per hour)
· No trains (12am-5am): No trains operating on the line
Good to see a decent frequency on the line. It will be interesting to see how the other lines (Outer Harbor and Grange) will be impacted.

I am happy to see the bus interchange will also be part of the project. This will allow some better connections around the area and a clean-up of the bus routes.

Waewick

[U/C] [PRO] Re: Port Adelaide Dock Spur Line

#100 Post by Waewick » Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:41 pm

Genuine question.

But how is 20mins regular?

Doesn't that just make people want to drive?

Nathan

[U/C] Re: [PRO] Re: Port Adelaide Dock Spur Line

#101 Post by Nathan » Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:57 pm

Waewick wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:41 pm
Genuine question.

Agreed. 20mins peak and 30mins off peak isn't good enough. Need double those frequencies for it to get enough traction.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

[U/C] Re: [PRO] Re: Port Adelaide Dock Spur Line

#102 Post by Norman » Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:18 am

Nathan wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:57 pm
Waewick wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:41 pm
Genuine question.

Agreed. 20mins peak and 30mins off peak isn't good enough. Need double those frequencies for it to get enough traction.
This is only for the Port Dock station. Stations further down the line have double the frequency as the Outer Harbor trains also service the other stations.

[Shuz]

#103 Post by [Shuz] » Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:07 am

A 1,588 page development assessment report just for a small railway extension and new station. Wow. I wouldn't want to be the planner having to read and go through all that!
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

PeFe

#104 Post by PeFe » Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:01 am

The Port dock frequency really should be 15 minutes during business hours, 30 minutes at night is acceptable.
Outer Harbor can be an express to Woodville during the day, not quite sure how to work the night time timetable....

The reality is very few Adelaide people use public transport at night, even if you use the buses/trains/trams by day, the average Adelaidian would then switch to a car at night.

And I will say this again, Grange should be a separate service starting at Woodville, one train going back and forth could probably give a 30 minute daytime frequency.....if you put 2 trains into service, maybe 15 minutes (I don't know if the patronage justifies this)

rhino

#105 Post by rhino » Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:23 am

PeFe wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:01 am
.....if you put 2 trains into service, maybe 15 minutes (I don't know if the patronage justifies this)
That would necessitate building a passing loop - the route is currently single track.
cheers,
Rhino