[U/C] M2 North-South Motorway

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
Nort
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[U/C] Re: North-South Motorway

#3541 Post by Nort » Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:51 am

With all this discussion on how many lanes Gallipoli Underpass needs to be, does anyone know the traffic volumes the underpass currently sees compared to the rest of South Road? Given the amount of entering and exiting traffic I wouldn't be surprised if the underpass sees less traffic passing through it.

Mr Messy
Gold-Member ;)

#3542 Post by Mr Messy » Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:56 am

North of underpass: 46k
In underpass: 36k
South of underpass: 51k

Source: LocationSA (2017 data)

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

[U/C] [U/C] Re: North-South Motorway

#3543 Post by Norman » Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:00 pm

A new video has been posted by DPTI showing the journey from Tonsley to Flinders Drive.

https://youtu.be/A1cAjoM-c_A

And Ayliffes Road to Southern Expressway

https://youtu.be/wIUhogWAHGU

Nort

#3544 Post by Nort » Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:56 pm

Mr Messy wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:56 am

Thanks. That implies that the underpass see's 2/3 to 3/4 of the traffic compared to other nearby sections. That would likely imply that while 2 lanes either direction is low for a freeway, it's unlikely to be a major bottleneck if those other sections are only 3 lanes.

claybro

#3545 Post by claybro » Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:53 pm

Nort wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:56 pm
Mr Messy wrote:

Thanks. That implies that the underpass see's 2/3 to 3/4 of the traffic compared to other nearby sections. That would likely imply that while 2 lanes either direction is low for a freeway, it's unlikely to be a major bottleneck if those other sections are only 3 lanes.
That is with current traffic volumes. Given this section of the motorway wont be operational for a least a decade, and there will be some induced demand, it would surely be best to keep the middle sections 3 lanes? Comparisons with the southern Expressway are not really relevant, as it carries mostly private car traffic, and not so much freight. Trucks trying to merge is not ideal.

phenom
High Rise Poster!

[U/C] Re: [U/C] Re: North-South Motorway

#3546 Post by phenom » Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:56 pm

Norman wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:00 pm
A new video has been posted by DPTI showing the journey from Tonsley to Flinders Drive.

Interesting that they deleted the Ayliffes Road to Southern Expressway video at some point today - it was there earlier but it's now unavailable. I didn't see anything too controversial about it so I don't know why they took it off... hopefully comes back on soon though.

On a positive note I'm almost happy to see DPTI no longer allow comments on their videos - it was getting very AdelaideNow style of deliberate idiocy on almost every video.

SBD

#3547 Post by SBD » Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:27 pm

claybro wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:53 pm
Nort wrote:
Mr Messy wrote:

That is with current traffic volumes. Given this section of the motorway wont be operational for a least a decade, and there will be some induced demand, it would surely be best to keep the middle sections 3 lanes? Comparisons with the southern Expressway are not really relevant, as it carries mostly private car traffic, and not so much freight. Trucks trying to merge is not ideal.
I have no experience in traffic engineering, nor any knowledge of hypothetical plans for the future around this section, but perhaps two lanes through the underpass is "better"...

Almost a third of current traffic uses the off/on ramps. I see no good reason to expect that proportion to change. The available distance to merge (either way) before "left lane must exit" and after "additional lane entering" is much longer than the space for a warm-up lane for vehicles to merge into three free-flowing lanes before the speedup lane ends.

My experience is that my local shopping centre has a left turn warmup lane into an 80km/h zone (there is a main exit with traffic lights, this one is extra, after those lights). I frequently find cars stopped at the end of the lane because they failed to match a gap in the passing traffic in time.

SBD

#3548 Post by SBD » Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:33 pm

phenom wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:56 pm
Norman wrote:

Interesting that they deleted the Ayliffes Road to Southern Expressway video at some point today - it was there earlier but it's now unavailable. I didn't see anything too controversial about it so I don't know why they took it off... hopefully comes back on soon though.

On a positive note I'm almost happy to see DPTI no longer allow comments on their videos - it was getting very AdelaideNow style of deliberate idiocy on almost every video.
I saw both videos at lunchtime, but the second one is now unavailable. I thought I saw one of them fly through a red light, but can't see it in the remaining one, and the other one was mostly expressway so wouldn't have had traffic lights.

Nort

#3549 Post by Nort » Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:03 pm

claybro wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:53 pm
Nort wrote:
Mr Messy wrote:

That's why I asked about proportions of traffic. Either way there will be merging whether it's traffic in the left lane merging so as to not leave if the underpass is 2 lanes, or traffic merging as it enters if the underpass is 3 lanes. From a safety perspective it would seem to me like the former is safer as there can be more notice and time for traffic to prepare.

Listy
High Rise Poster!

#3550 Post by Listy » Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:57 pm

SBD wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:33 pm
phenom wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:56 pm
Norman wrote:

I saw both videos at lunchtime, but the second one is now unavailable. I thought I saw one of them fly through a red light, but can't see it in the remaining one, and the other one was mostly expressway so wouldn't have had traffic lights.
I saw the clips earlier today too - In the second video the camera definitely ran a red light right at the beginning as it crossed Shepherds Hill Rd - I watched it twice to be sure! :)

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#3551 Post by Norman » Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:47 pm

Vegetation works at T2T have started.

Ser Noit of Loit
High Rise Poster!

#3552 Post by Ser Noit of Loit » Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:17 pm

Looking into the trench from Sturt Road. It's a lot wider than I expected.

[Shuz]

#3553 Post by [Shuz] » Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:35 am

It's wider because it accommodates 4 lanes each way, plus merging lanes.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

SBD

#3554 Post by SBD » Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:51 am

[Shuz] wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:35 am
It's wider because it accommodates 4 lanes each way, plus merging lanes.
The three-year-old concept video has five lanes northbound and four lanes southbound just south of Sturt Road. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MR3GQvwUKEI

The video that was up on Wednesday but now removed would show a better indication of what is actually being built.

Furyan
Gold-Member ;)

#3555 Post by Furyan » Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:53 pm

Yesterday a second watermain has burst in only a week and caused havoc on the same unfunded section of this North - South Corridor at Melrose Park.

With the closure of 2 of the 4 lanes, in the peak period, cars queued for kilometers and businesses were also affected.

Repairs took over 12 hours. :wallbash: