[U/C] Port Adelaide Dock Spur Line

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
[Shuz]
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[U/C] Re: Port Adelaide Dock Spur Line

#106 Post by [Shuz] » Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:26 am

It'd seem logical the service pattern would go as follows starting from Adelaide:

Outer Harbour - express to Woodville (interchange), express to Port Adelaide, stopping all stations to Outer Harbour.
Port Dock - stopping all stations to Port Dock.
Grange - stopping all stations to Grange.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

ChillyPhilly

[U/C] [PRO] Re: Port Adelaide Dock Spur Line

#107 Post by ChillyPhilly » Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:34 pm

Newsletter.

Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

1NEEDS2POST
High Rise Poster!

#108 Post by 1NEEDS2POST » Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:49 pm

As I predicted, a dismal frequency :wallbash: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=6143&start=60#p169905
[Shuz] wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:26 am
It'd seem logical the service pattern would go as follows starting from Adelaide:

Outer Harbour - express to Woodville (interchange), express to Port Adelaide, stopping all stations to Outer Harbour.
Express to Woodville for the Grange line might encourage more people to use the Grange train. The existing express trains save four minutes on the trip to Woodville. A Grange express to Woodville will take 18 minutes to travel Grange to Adelaide. This is significantly faster than driving.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#109 Post by Norman » Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:56 pm

1NEEDS2POST wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:49 pm
As I predicted, a dismal frequency :wallbash: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=6143&start=60#p169905
[Shuz] wrote:

Express to Woodville for the Grange line might encourage more people to use the Grange train. The existing express trains save four minutes on the trip to Woodville. A Grange express to Woodville will take 18 minutes to travel Grange to Adelaide. This is significantly faster than driving.
If the Grange Line was express between Woodville and Grange, it would only serve 5 stations outside Adelaide. Hardly viable. Most passengers board between Woodville and Bowden.

1NEEDS2POST
High Rise Poster!

#110 Post by 1NEEDS2POST » Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:37 pm

Norman wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:56 pm
1NEEDS2POST wrote:
[Shuz] wrote:

If the Grange Line was express between Woodville and Grange, it would only serve 5 stations outside Adelaide. Hardly viable. Most passengers board between Woodville and Bowden.
I meant express between ARS and Woodville, all stops Woodville to Grange.

Westside
High Rise Poster!

#111 Post by Westside » Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:02 pm

The operational frequency of the Port Dock line is considered to be:
· Peak hours (7am-9am and 3pm-6pm on weekdays): Services every 20 minutes (i.e. three trains per hour ineach direction/total of six train movements per hour)
· Off peak hours (Weekdays: 5am-7am, 9am-3pm, 6pm-12am; Weekends: 5am-12am): Services every 30minutes (i.e two trains per hour in each direction/total of four train movements per hour)
· No trains (12am-5am): No trains operating on the line
20 minutes is fine for such a short line. Hopefully that means the Grange line can be 20 mins in peak, giving 10 min frequency for the line to Woodville, with all OH/Osborne trains express from Woodville, or the weird setup they have now with some express from Port Adelaide and some express from Woodville.

I then hope there will be 3 all stops trains during inter-peak and nights servicing all 3 branches, which is hopeful given the current hourly night and weekend service on the Grange line. But if they can do half hourly to Port Dock, hopefully they see that can be warranted for Grange too.
Last edited by Westside on Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Westside
High Rise Poster!

#112 Post by Westside » Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:05 pm

1NEEDS2POST wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:37 pm
Norman wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:56 pm
1NEEDS2POST wrote:

I meant express between ARS and Woodville, all stops Woodville to Grange.
Which is only 5 stations.

But it does remind me of the old morning peak shuttles from Glanville - 1 carriage serving Glanville and Ethelton, then express to Woodville where the carriage virtually emptied of school children then filled again with workers for the express to ARS.

Nathan

#113 Post by Nathan » Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:12 pm

It would make more sense to me to make the Grange line all stops to ASR, and the outer harbour/port dock line limited stops up to Woodville (ie. only the higher patronised/catchment stations).

ralmin
Gold-Member ;)

#114 Post by ralmin » Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:34 pm

Port Dock to Woodville is the same number of stations as Grange to Woodville.

Port Dock, Alberton, Cheltenham, St Clair, Woodville = 5
Grange, East Grange, Seaton Park, Albert Park, Woodville = 5

However the Alberton, Cheltenham and St Clair stations are passed by both Port Dock and Outer Harbor trains. Only one of them needs to stop, and that should be the Port Dock train, since it has fewer other stations to visit.

I'd like to see the minor stations between Woodville and Bowden get alternating trains, so the trains can travel further between stops, increasing their average speed.

Outer Harbor all stations to Port Adelaide, express to Woodville, express to Adelaide.
Grange all stations to Woodville, Kilkenny, Croydon, Bowden, Adelaide.
Port Dock all stations to Woodville, Woodville Park, West Croydon, Bowden, Adelaide.

Both Grange and Port Dock trains should stop at Bowden to encourage transport-oriented development there.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#115 Post by Norman » Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:41 pm

I don't understand the obsession with speeding up the trains on Adelaide's shortest train lines. Surely we should be increasing the frequency of the inner city stations to encourage further development around Croydon and Kilkenny.

What if I want to go from Kilkenny to Croydon? Or Woodville West to West Croydon?

Most trains in Melbourne and Sydney stop at all stations, even in peak hour. Surely we can cope with that.

TorrensSA
High Rise Poster!

#116 Post by TorrensSA » Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:14 pm

The service pattern should be pretty simple if each line runs every 30 mins inter-peak then Port Dock and Grange are all stations and Outer Harbor is express Bowden to Woodvile. The Gawler line timetable is a mess, when electrified it should run every 10 mins in inter peak. All stops every 20 min and semi express high frequency stations every 20 mins, the stop skip pattern is annoying.

1NEEDS2POST
High Rise Poster!

#117 Post by 1NEEDS2POST » Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:46 pm

Us gunzels also don't know the constraints of the system. What we discuss might mess up the scheduling of trains and staff.

SBD

#118 Post by SBD » Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:54 pm

ralmin wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:34 pm
Port Dock to Woodville is the same number of stations as Grange to Woodville.

Port Dock, Alberton, Cheltenham, St Clair, Woodville = 5
Grange, East Grange, Seaton Park, Albert Park, Woodville = 5

However the Alberton, Cheltenham and St Clair stations are passed by both Port Dock and Outer Harbor trains. Only one of them needs to stop, and that should be the Port Dock train, since it has fewer other stations to visit.

I'd like to see the minor stations between Woodville and Bowden get alternating trains, so the trains can travel further between stops, increasing their average speed.

Outer Harbor all stations to Port Adelaide, express to Woodville, express to Adelaide.
Grange all stations to Woodville, Kilkenny, Croydon, Bowden, Adelaide.
Port Dock all stations to Woodville, Woodville Park, West Croydon, Bowden, Adelaide.

Both Grange and Port Dock trains should stop at Bowden to encourage transport-oriented development there.
Alternate stations on the shared line also means that both trains take around the same time to traverse the line. This is important because there is nowhere for express trains to overtake all-stops trains. The only way to run all-stops and express trains together is to have the express train leave just in front of an all-stops train, and arrive just behind the preceding all-stops train.

PeFe

#119 Post by PeFe » Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:44 pm

F. F. S Just make Grange a spur line line...........change at Woodville.

Port Dock - City........all stops

Outer Harbor - City.....all stops to Woodville, express to city.

claybro

#120 Post by claybro » Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:09 am

PeFe wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:44 pm
F. F. S Just make Grange a spur line line...........change at Woodville.

Port Dock - City........all stops

Outer Harbor - City.....all stops to Woodville, express to city.
Surely it is not worthwhile to run a train (Grange) for 4 stops with a bloody great golf course in the middle?