Mad March 2019

All event related discussion should go here.. e.g. Clipsal 500, Womadelaide, SALA, etc.
Message
Author
ghs
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 1503
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:09 am
Location: Brighton
Has thanked: 12 times
Been thanked: 58 times

Mad March 2019

#1 Post by ghs » Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:47 pm

Pussy riot, Red hot chilli peppers, RCC at Adelaide uni, final year of the Palais, etc

Any comments on the festivals ?

HiTouch
High Rise Poster!
Posts: 444
Joined: Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:40 pm
Has thanked: 209 times
Been thanked: 76 times

Re: Mad March 2019

#2 Post by HiTouch » Sun Mar 10, 2019 5:10 pm

ghs wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:47 pm
Pussy riot, Red hot chilli peppers, RCC at Adelaide uni, final year of the Palais, etc

Any comments on the festivals ?
Not great. It’s quite boring really. Needs some things that appeal to Adelaide families like Barnesy.
rev wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:55 am
If the parklands are so important why dont they put it to a vote state wide? Or are they afraid the majority will back this hotel..

OlympusAnt
High Rise Poster!
Posts: 260
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2015 7:31 pm
Has thanked: 40 times
Been thanked: 26 times

Re: Mad March 2019

#3 Post by OlympusAnt » Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:13 pm

As long as passengers hop in my taxi, its good
Follow me on Flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/135625678@N06/

JAKJ
High Rise Poster!
Posts: 192
Joined: Tue May 02, 2006 2:29 pm
Location: KTA/ADL ex PER/CNS/LA/SH
Has thanked: 24 times
Been thanked: 27 times

Re: Mad March 2019

#4 Post by JAKJ » Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:59 pm

This year was the most fun I have had yet. Clipsal (sorry 'superloop') weekend to the end of Womad weekend was amazing. I am struggling to think of other places/ events/ festivals that I have been to anywhere overseas let alone Australia that have such an eclectic and interesting variety of people and events - the total immersion factor for the East end of the Adelaide CBD was awesome. I must have averaged no more than 5 hours of sleep a night that week.

Standout for me however were the weekend street parties on Vardun and Rundle. Such a heaving mass of life, families, party goers, tourists, artists and any other category you can think of all enjoying themselves with barely a security guard in site - I spent hours perched on the new Stag's balcony people watching with friends and meeting the fascinating and random assortment of humanity that descend on Adelaide during this magic week. A friend from Sydney was in perpetual shock that on Vardon avenue we could plant ourselves at an outside table with glassware and order food and drink from whatever venue we fancy without being tackled to the ground by a bouncer.

I walked home at 2am Monday morning from a vibrant garden, down a busy Rundle street and past a still pumping RCC, and as the echos of the music followed me up the hill I was filled with a residual energy and excitement from a kind of week I have rarely glimpsed in much larger 'global' cities. Well done Adelaide, another brilliant festival year. Melbourne Mad March? lol - good luck with that.

ghs
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 1503
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:09 am
Location: Brighton
Has thanked: 12 times
Been thanked: 58 times

Re: Mad March 2019

#5 Post by ghs » Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:26 pm

OlympusAnt wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:13 pm
As long as passengers hop in my taxi, its good
This is a good point. Not only do the festivals bring life to the city they also generate a good income for cab drivers, hospitality workers,
security guards, etc. What amazes me is how the city can be so vibrant for these four weeks but then the vibrancy drops off like you wouldn't believe as we move into winter. ACC and the state government need to do more to attract people into the city outside of the festival season.

Nort
Legendary Member!
Posts: 983
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:08 pm
Has thanked: 172 times
Been thanked: 111 times

Re: Mad March 2019

#6 Post by Nort » Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:09 pm

ghs wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:26 pm
OlympusAnt wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:13 pm
As long as passengers hop in my taxi, its good
This is a good point. Not only do the festivals bring life to the city they also generate a good income for cab drivers, hospitality workers,
security guards, etc. What amazes me is how the city can be so vibrant for these four weeks but then the vibrancy drops off like you wouldn't believe as we move into winter. ACC and the state government need to do more to attract people into the city outside of the festival season.
The busyness of Mad March is a bit of a self fulfilling prophecy now. People all go out at that time of year because it's busy, because people go out at that time because it's busy, because...

I think there is a seriously strong argument to make for Rundle Street becoming a one way street at this point to vastly increase the amount of outside space for eateries. From Frome Road to East Tce I say make it a one lane one way street and try and bring more year long liveliness to the area.

User avatar
Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member
Posts: 5539
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2007 1:06 pm
Has thanked: 729 times
Been thanked: 1217 times

Re: Mad March 2019

#7 Post by Norman » Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:27 pm

Having more people living in the city will do wonders for the vibrancy of our city. It has already been improving year on year, the streets and laneways are getting more and more active as apartments are completed.

User avatar
Ho Really
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 2098
Joined: Sun Aug 27, 2006 3:29 pm
Location: In your head
Has thanked: 433 times
Been thanked: 54 times

Re: Mad March 2019

#8 Post by Ho Really » Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:44 pm

Norman wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:27 pm
Having more people living in the city will do wonders for the vibrancy of our city. It has already been improving year on year, the streets and laneways are getting more and more active as apartments are completed.
A little bit of Europe...

Cheers
Confucius say: Dumb man climb tree to get cherry, wise man spread limbs.

User avatar
Ho Really
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 2098
Joined: Sun Aug 27, 2006 3:29 pm
Location: In your head
Has thanked: 433 times
Been thanked: 54 times

Re: Mad March 2019

#9 Post by Ho Really » Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:45 pm

Nort wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:09 pm

[...]

I think there is a seriously strong argument to make for Rundle Street becoming a one way street at this point to vastly increase the amount of outside space for eateries. From Frome Road to East Tce I say make it a one lane one way street and try and bring more year long liveliness to the area.
How about closing it altogether. People eat and drink better if there are no fumes.

Cheers
Confucius say: Dumb man climb tree to get cherry, wise man spread limbs.

bits
Legendary Member!
Posts: 535
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:24 pm
Has thanked: 24 times
Been thanked: 96 times

Re: Mad March 2019

#10 Post by bits » Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:10 am

Ho Really wrote:
Nort wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:09 pm

[...]

I think there is a seriously strong argument to make for Rundle Street becoming a one way street at this point to vastly increase the amount of outside space for eateries. From Frome Road to East Tce I say make it a one lane one way street and try and bring more year long liveliness to the area.
How about closing it altogether. People eat and drink better if there are no fumes.

Cheers
I would close Frome to East, leave Frome to Pulteney at least for now. That leaves access to the car parks and some on street parking for trades, couriers and taxis.
And remaining section of road would have no through path so would have very few users.

All Rundle St including Rundle/East Tce intersections should also be scramble crossings.

Nort
Legendary Member!
Posts: 983
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:08 pm
Has thanked: 172 times
Been thanked: 111 times

Re: Mad March 2019

#11 Post by Nort » Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:26 am

bits wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:10 am
Ho Really wrote:
Nort wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:09 pm

[...]

I think there is a seriously strong argument to make for Rundle Street becoming a one way street at this point to vastly increase the amount of outside space for eateries. From Frome Road to East Tce I say make it a one lane one way street and try and bring more year long liveliness to the area.
How about closing it altogether. People eat and drink better if there are no fumes.

Cheers
I would close Frome to East, leave Frome to Pulteney at least for now. That leaves access to the car parks and some on street parking for trades, couriers and taxis.
And remaining section of road would have no through path so would have very few users.

All Rundle St including Rundle/East Tce intersections should also be scramble crossings.
Exactly. Ideally it would be closed to road traffic entirely (it's a shame the original plan for the bus route through the parklands that involved closing Rundle Road didn't happen as it would have really helped this along) but I feel like that would be too big a step right now. There needs to be vehicle access for the businesses, and taxi access to Rundle Street is important for the restaurants and bars there.

User avatar
Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member
Posts: 5539
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2007 1:06 pm
Has thanked: 729 times
Been thanked: 1217 times

Re: Mad March 2019

#12 Post by Norman » Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:19 am

Or make it like Bank Street, a one-way shared zone that can easily be closed off for events.

User avatar
SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member
Posts: 2070
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2007 9:42 pm
Location: City
Has thanked: 407 times
Been thanked: 134 times

Re: Mad March 2019

#13 Post by SRW » Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:32 am

Definitely need scramble crosses at Frome & Rundle and Rundle & East but the road functions fine for the time being. It is closed between Frome to East every Friday and Saturday evening during the festival season anyway, accomodating crowds and dining just when they're needed. In the medium term, I think it should probably be made one way with a longer term view toward pedestrianisation. But the state of footpaths generally through the city means that sort of expenditure is lower priority. (On that note, recent footpath upgrades on Hindley Street, North Tce and in the Mall have been absolutely butchered by various service works (NBN, gas lines) with no sign of forthcoming restoration...)
Keep Adelaide Weird

User avatar
Nathan
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 3032
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:09 pm
Location: Bowden
Has thanked: 181 times
Been thanked: 560 times
Contact:

Re: Mad March 2019

#14 Post by Nathan » Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:53 am

SRW wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:32 am
(On that note, recent footpath upgrades on Hindley Street, North Tce and in the Mall have been absolutely butchered by various service works (NBN, gas lines) with no sign of forthcoming restoration...)
Rundle St's is atrocious. They haven't matched either the colour or the texture properly.

claybro
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 1867
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:16 pm
Has thanked: 44 times
Been thanked: 187 times

Re: Mad March 2019

#15 Post by claybro » Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:25 pm

Was in Adelaide a couple of weekends back for a function, with a mate from Perth. Spent a great Saturday night bar hopping from West end to East end including a bite in Peel street. A seriously good night, and my mate was genuinely very impressed by the vibe in Adelaide.-The venues, the variety, the lack of menacing homeless drug addicted beggars, it all had a really lively, safe and well managed feel to it. I have noticed also over here now, the old jibes and memes about Adelaide seem to be becoming a thing of the past. Viewing Adelaide from out of state now, it really is emerging as a world class city.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests