Shift Hindmarsh Stadium into the city

Ideas and concepts of what Adelaide can be.
1NEEDS2POST
High Rise Poster!

Re: Shift Hindmarsh Stadium into the city

#16 Post by 1NEEDS2POST » Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:51 pm

Is there even enough room over the marshalling yards to build a stadium or will it slightly encroach on the parklands?

ml69
Legendary Member!

#17 Post by ml69 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:43 am

1NEEDS2POST wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:51 pm
Is there even enough room over the marshalling yards to build a stadium or will it slightly encroach on the parklands?
Marshalling yards are too narrow .... most of the stadium will end up on top of existing parkland.

Nort
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#18 Post by Nort » Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:12 am

1NEEDS2POST wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:51 pm
It would encroach a little onto existing parklands, but if they are building over the lines there it should be possible to return an equal amount of public space as that removed.

Llessur2002

#19 Post by Llessur2002 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:32 am

Is a rectangular stadium the best use of that land in the long term? Bearing in mind it's right next to our prime health and medical/research/teaching precinct, the future Women's and Children's Hospital as well as the convention center. Is it not likely that one of these may require extension in the future? SAHMRI 3 and 4 maybe?

If we were a rugby playing state I could see the argument for a rectangular stadium in the city, but for soccer surely a city fringe location such as Hindmarsh is perfectly acceptable?

Nort

#20 Post by Nort » Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:57 am

Llessur2002 wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:32 am
Is a rectangular stadium the best use of that land in the long term? Bearing in mind it's right next to our prime health and medical/research/teaching precinct, the future Women's and Children's Hospital as well as the convention center. Is it not likely that one of these may require extension in the future? SAHMRI 3 and 4 maybe?

If we were a rugby playing state I could see the argument for a rectangular stadium in the city, but for soccer surely a city fringe location such as Hindmarsh is perfectly acceptable?
I agree that Hindmarsh is a good location, but if the stadium has to be moved into the CBD I can't imagine a better location.

Llessur2002

#21 Post by Llessur2002 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:32 am

Also, is it wise to build a noisy stadium right next to the accommodation wing of our major hospital?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not against the idea of a new stadium per se - I just question the need for it when perfectly good alternatives for both the sporting and entertainment elements exist literally just down the road from this site. I'm really not sure what will be gained, given the massive cost and disruption of building over the rail lines and the loss of this land for potential future medical/research purposes - even if that's 50 years down the line.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#22 Post by SRW » Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:16 pm

I agree. If ever Hindmarsh Stadium is overwhelmed or outdated for purpose, which is not at all likely in the immediate future, I think it would be better to upgrade there or rebuild on the site of the Entertainment Centre -- whose functions could be replaced in a more justifiable multipurpose city arena. It's an inner city location with ample potential to develop vibrant surrounding neighbourhoods with fast connections to the city. Having gone the direction of a health care precinct, I think rail yards are now best reserved to build the BioMed City agglomeration to something approaching the Texas Medical Centre.
Keep Adelaide Weird

Goodsy
Legendary Member!

#23 Post by Goodsy » Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:05 pm

Move the Entertainment center into the Sir Samuel Way building on Victoria Square with an underground train station when the city loop is done. We'd have our own Madison Square Garden

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#24 Post by Norman » Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:45 am

Hindmarsh Stadium needs major works on it as it doesn't have female change rooms. That's why we never get any of the Mathildas games.

It also needs a second screen and a major overhaul of the audio and visual facilities.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#25 Post by rev » Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:11 pm

Llessur2002 wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:32 am

Agree with the first part of your post. Keep that land for future expansion of the NRAH or WCH depending where that ends up, or convention center expansion...or relocation of the Entertainment Center.

The best location in the city imho for a rectangular stadium is to the direct east of Adelaide Oval on the other side of King William Rd, where the Cross of Sacrifice, Angas Gardens, and Park 12 are. You could move the Cross of Sacrifice and other notable statues to the Torrens river end of Park 12. To negate the loss in actual green parklands, they could upgrade the derelict parkland that's south of Victoria Park and some of the southern parklands and the majority of Park 6 and the parkland to the north east of that in north Adelaide. So overall it would be a net gain in usable, user friendly park lands. Demolish that old red building on the river just past the rowing club near the King William bridge, build another foot bridge in towards the Torrens Parade Ground, upgrade that area too. The building there it self would be a good museum, the inside literally runs from end to end it's a big hall basically, and some offices on the western end. Maybe even build an elevated plaza over King William Road between Adelaide Oval and Park 12.

When Adelaide United (not a fan of them) plays at Adelaide Oval, they draw in a bigger crowd. They don't fill the stadium, but obviously the old saying "build it and they will come" would apply here.
A bigger, new modern stadium with some of the best facilities in the league, would not only bring in more spectators but also bigger corporate and sponsorship dollars which will also help secure bigger name players which again will also help repeat that cycle of more fans more $$$$.

Whether we like it or not if SA is going to bid for a Commonwealth games this rectangular stadium issue will need to be addressed. The crappy compromise they've gone with for the tennis will also need addressing.