[SWP] Central Market Arcade Redevelopment | 130m | 39 levels

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Nathan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[SWP] Central Market Arcade Redevelopment | 130m | 39 levels

#1 Post by Nathan » Sat Mar 30, 2019 4:04 pm

Note that the article says the renders were early concepts, and that they've "advanced significantly" since. That said, if it's anything like these, this will be an incredible redevelopment.
Multimillion-dollar redevelopment of Adelaide Central Market in the works
https://outline.com/skb5ne

The Adelaide Central Market and the neighbouring Arcade would be “seamlessly” blended together, and office and residential towers built above the latter, as part of a significant development of the market precinct.

The Advertiser can reveal that the Adelaide City Council is closing in on a developer to lead the massive redevelopment project — set to cost hundreds of millions of dollars — with final negotiations taking place ahead of an expected deal within months.

Construction is slated to begin in September next year.

The plans for the redevelopment are being tightly guarded within Town Hall due to commercial reasons as negotiations continue.

But The Advertiser has obtained early concepts, prepared by Hardy Milazzo of what an upgraded Central Market Arcade could potentially look like.

The plans, which have been presented to council, include an “expansion” of the Market into the 10,000 sqm Arcade area creating dozens of new stalls, an underground supermarket and retail area, a large open public space dubbed a “grand promenade” and two residential and commercial towers constructed above the Arcade.

An option was also put forward where the historic red brick facade on the Central Market itself would go on the outside of the Arcade.

However The Advertiser understands these plans have since advanced significantly during the worldwide Expressions of Interest process conducted to find a partnering developer.

Council’s associate director of property Tom McCready said the final product would create “something truly special” for the city.

“The City of Adelaide’s vision for the Central Market Arcade Redevelopment remains unchanged, growing what’s best about the Central Market and Market District, into a food and wine destination of international repute, as part of a thriving mixed-use place,” he said.

“The redevelopment will secure the future of the Central Market for the next 50 years and provides a very exciting opportunity to drive major, exciting change within the heart of our Market District.”

Lord Mayor Sandy Verschoor said the designs currently being negotiated were “great”.

“It is really exciting,” she said.

Mr McCready said rather than any “expansion” of the Central Market into the Arcade area, the council’s “guiding principles” were to own 6000 sqm of retail space in within the Arcade space to provide a “complementary retail offer”.

“The intent of the design will be to be respectful to the Market and to seamlessly blend the Market into the Arcade and vice versa, so that it feels connected and respectful to 150 years of Market history,” he said.

But it is still unclear what the future holds for the 70-odd traders currently in the Arcade area.

Arcade traders have been offered a two-year lease from September last year, with a six-month redevelopment clause.

Mr McCready said after that, it was still to be determined.

“The City of Adelaide has advised existing Central Market Arcade traders that there is no guaranteed right of return at this stage as we are yet to determine the retail mix within the redevelopment,” Mr McCready said.

Traders in the Market are also itching to find out what are the plans for the redevelopment, with fears of significant disruption as a result.

“That’s what we are itching to find out,” said one trader.

The Advertiser approached the Traders Advisory Group for comment, but they said they did not know where the process was at.

Mr McCready also told The Advertiser the final built form of the development was yet to determined.

But this could involve at least two towers constructed above the Arcade, with the air-rights above it considered extremely valuable.

An increase in carparking is also desired by council, as part of the guiding principles.

The Advertiser understands that the development could also reignite the push for Sunday trading at the Market, to attract people to it while the significant works take place.

Levesque
Sen-Rookie-Sational

[SWP] Re: Central Market

#2 Post by Levesque » Sat Mar 30, 2019 7:45 pm

Correct me if im wrong, but the area they are planning to redevelop is not the recently renovated Federal Hall, but the adjacent Coles and area between Grote, Gouger and the lane between Victoria square?
If so, I think this is a really great proposal, but with an office tower overhead and low lying Central Markets and Chinatown attached it might look a bit lopsided?
I suppose though, its already a bit lopsided with the worlds ugliest Hilton next door (sorry to those that like it).

Patrick_27

#3 Post by Patrick_27 » Sat Mar 30, 2019 8:14 pm

Fingers crossed that the final design looks similar to what's on display here, I checked out the anniversary exhibition for the Central Market at the State Library just the other day and was thinking to myself that it would be great to see some of the red-brick frontage returned to the Grote Street end where Coles is with this redevelopment.

Whilst I know the air-rights side of things is probably what's going to fund the bulk of this development, I'm still against the idea. It will merely make the Markets feel overly commercial and something similar to Rundle Place

TorrensSA
High Rise Poster!

#4 Post by TorrensSA » Sat Mar 30, 2019 8:36 pm

The images show a Coles supermarket under the actual markets a big open atrium that will link the old markets to the new area which is where the current Coles is which will have offices above it - the recently refurbed facade will obviously remain and the old markets behind it will be rebuilt with a new basement Coles - the markets look like in the images they will remain the same look. Looks like they are adding maybe 50m of brick frontage / arch doorway too the frontage - look how the white building opposite the archway lines up on Google maps on Grote Street to the artist image (it's the building to the east of La Boheme)

Nathan

#5 Post by Nathan » Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:31 pm

TorrensSA wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 8:36 pm
The images show a Coles supermarket under the actual markets a big open atrium that will link the old markets to the new area which is where the current Coles is which will have offices above it - the recently refurbed facade will obviously remain and the old markets behind it will be rebuilt with a new basement Coles - the markets look like in the images they will remain the same look. Looks like they are adding maybe 50m of brick frontage / arch doorway too the frontage - look how the white building opposite the archway lines up on Google maps on Grote Street to the artist image (it's the building to the east of La Boheme)
Not quite, the Coles in the third image is still under the current Market Arcade. You can see through the "promenade" the Sarnia Building on Grote St, which means it's running pretty much straight through the middle of the existing Coles and Market Arcade. My guess in that plan is that instead of running the full width west-east, and half north-south of the market arcade, it's positioned as half west-east, and full north-south instead.

Nathan

#6 Post by Nathan » Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:40 pm

Levesque wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 7:45 pm
I suppose though, its already a bit lopsided with the worlds ugliest Hilton next door (sorry to those that like it).
I like the Hilton... :secret:

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#7 Post by SRW » Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:47 pm

Well that’s encouraging. I must admit I’ve been losing confidence in the new council to manage this to best outcomes, but hopefully the process is far enough advanced to succeed. I’m especially pleased that these concepts indicate two things I consider highly important: 1) strong north-south/Grote-Gouger connection; and 2) strong visual recognition of Market edifice through extension/replication of the brick vernacular.
Keep Adelaide Weird

TorrensSA
High Rise Poster!

#8 Post by TorrensSA » Sat Mar 30, 2019 10:34 pm

Coles is about 25m to the west of the atrium / promenade, the promenade lines up with the white building next to La Boheme on Google maps - which will line Coles front entry with the market - https://www.google.com/maps/@-34.928691 ... 312!8i6656 = look on here. The promenade / atrium is on the current service lane - it's been widened onto the current market arcade.

Nort

#9 Post by Nort » Sat Mar 30, 2019 10:59 pm

I wonder where the current stalllholders would go while the market is redeveloped? Simply having the central market disappear for a couple of years would be awful.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#10 Post by Ben » Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:05 pm

Nort wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 10:59 pm
I wonder where the current stalllholders would go while the market is redeveloped? Simply having the central market disappear for a couple of years would be awful.

The market is not not being redeveloped just the area where coles and the arcade is.

Nort

#11 Post by Nort » Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:54 pm

Ben wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:05 pm
Nort wrote:

The market is not not being redeveloped just the area where coles and the arcade is.
In this image it certainly looks to me like the underground supermarket is under the current market.

ml69
Legendary Member!

#12 Post by ml69 » Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:27 am

Nort wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:54 pm
Ben wrote:
Nort wrote:

In this image it certainly looks to me like the underground supermarket is under the current market.

I’m confused ... isn’t that new promenade between Gouger and Grote in the photos effectively adjacent to the Hilton and Supreme Court buildings?

If that’s the case, then the underground Coles is located where current market arcade is. It’s just that the ground floor of the redeveloped area contains an “extension” to the current market, and therefore looks rather like the existing market.

It doesn’t make any logical sense to dig under the current market due to trader disruption etc.

ml69
Legendary Member!

#13 Post by ml69 » Sun Mar 31, 2019 11:45 am

I normally prefer extensions to heritage buildings to be modern in design and contrast (but still respect) the existing heritage building.

However, with the Central Market redevelopment, the extension of the heritage brickwork just feels like the right thing to do. I really like it.

Nort

#14 Post by Nort » Sun Mar 31, 2019 1:39 pm

ml69 wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:27 am
Nort wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:54 pm
Ben wrote:

I’m confused ... isn’t that new promenade between Gouger and Grote in the photos effectively adjacent to the Hilton and Supreme Court buildings?

If that’s the case, then the underground Coles is located where current market arcade is. It’s just that the ground floor of the redeveloped area contains an “extension” to the current market, and therefore looks rather like the existing market.

It doesn’t make any logical sense to dig under the current market due to trader disruption etc.
Looks like that promenade goes directly through the middle of where Coles currently is, and in the render the underground supermarket is still further across to the west.

TorrensSA
High Rise Poster!

#15 Post by TorrensSA » Sun Mar 31, 2019 3:28 pm

Look clearly at the third picture, you can see 32 Grote street across the road, it's opposite Coles, the white building it's 12m wide, this might be useful information when trying to look at the scale . Looking at Google maps that would mean the atrium / promenade would start at about the first window of the Coles building, the new Coles is about 20 to 25m to the west of this underground which would align nicely up with the side of the markets The promenade would end at about the middle of where the current Coles is, it looks to be about 25m wide