[COM] 73-85 Pirie Street | 89m | 22 Levels | Office

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
rhino
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[COM] Re: 73-85 Pirie Street | 89m | 22 Levels | Office

#181 Post by rhino » Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:44 pm

Yes, it's incomplete, but is moving forward. The point is, it disproves the argument that it's not worth moving from the norm. Not only have they gone for something much taller, but it is a huge leap from the standard glass box.
cheers,
Rhino

cmet
High Rise Poster!

#182 Post by cmet » Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:33 pm

rhino wrote:Yes, it's incomplete, but is moving forward. The point is, it disproves the argument that it's not worth moving from the norm. Not only have they gone for something much taller, but it is a huge leap from the standard glass box.
Look I mostly agree. All I’m saying is in the past, developers haven’t had much to compete with in terms of quality and innovative projects. I feel like the shift is slowly beginning.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#183 Post by Ben » Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:19 am

The cafe on the corner has closed and the windows boarded up. Not sure if this is due to the development but i walk past most days and there was no indication they were about to close. I do think we will get an announcement about this one soon.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#184 Post by Will » Tue Apr 14, 2020 5:20 pm

Not sure if these renders have been posted before

from realcommercial:

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#185 Post by Norman » Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:25 pm

Planet nightclub site to be transformed after developers strike a deal with the State Government
Matt Smith, Political Editor, The Advertiser
April 15, 2020 8:00pm

The Planet Nightclub, once one of the city’s most popular music venues, will become a 20-storey office complex after a $300 million deal was signed off by the State Government.

Staff from the Department of Planning, Transport and Infrastructure will become the building’s “anchor” tenants, occupying 10 floors.

The project has been on the drawing board for more than two years.

The promise of saving $50 million in leasing fees and creating 2000 jobs during its construction prompted the Government’s involvement.

Investor Cbus Property – part of the giant building union superannuation fund – has been looking for an anchor tenant for more than a year.

Plans for the site include a landscaped rooftop terrace, an onsite wellbeing lifestyle centre and ground floor retail.

Premier Steven Marshall said the project would change Adelaide’s skyline and would help to create much-needed jobs in these trying times.

“This new $300 million building will support up to 2000 jobs during the construction phase and provide more work for local businesses and contractors,” Mr Marshall said.

Infrastructure Minister Stephan Knoll said consolidating DPTI’s seven city locations would deliver massive savings. “The new 10-year lease will see DPTI occupy less than 18,500sq m reducing the department’s footprint and delivering savings of more than $50 million over the term of the lease,” Mr Knoll said.

Design work and the appointment of a builder is expected later this year.

Plans to transform the old Planet Nightclub – which closed its doors 16 years ago – to premium office space were first floated in early 2018.

Cbus did not comment about the announcement on Wednesday, but last year chief executive Adrian Pozzo said the building would cater for the changing workplace.

“We recognise that the workplace is changing and tenant requirements are evolving so it was an ideal opportunity to create a new benchmark for office design in Adelaide,” he said.

“Tenants are not only looking for innovative workspaces that offer flexibility and foster a collaborative and engaging work environment but also leading design.”
https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/sou ... b27af70d2d

I wonder which building DPTI will be leaving to fill this one.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#186 Post by Ben » Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:27 pm

I think they’re in the old SA water on grenfell street. Feels like they only moved there not too long ago from walkerville but I think time has gotten away from me.

Brando
Donating Member
Donating Member

#187 Post by Brando » Thu Apr 16, 2020 2:36 am

DPTI are also in 50 Flinders St, next to Santos. I'm sure they have about 3 or 4 levels in there.
It's another site not many know about.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#188 Post by rev » Thu Apr 16, 2020 3:17 am

Will wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 5:20 pm
Not sure if these renders have been posted before

from realcommercial:

Pretty sure they've been posted before. Looks rather familiar, unless the design has been tweaked.

[Shuz]

#189 Post by [Shuz] » Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:55 am

Think DPTI also have offices in Roma Mitchell House on North Terrace opposite the train station.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

Ho Really

#190 Post by Ho Really » Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:46 pm

[...]

Premier Steven Marshall said the project would change Adelaide’s skyline and would help to create much-needed jobs in these trying times.

[...]
Such a stumpy building won't change the skyline sorry to say.
[...]

Cbus...chief executive Adrian Pozzo said the building would cater for the changing workplace. “We recognise that the workplace is changing and tenant requirements are evolving so it was an ideal opportunity to create a new benchmark for office design in Adelaide,” he said.

“Tenants are not only looking for innovative workspaces that offer flexibility and foster a collaborative and engaging work environment but also leading design.”
Perhaps the interior with its large floor plates will be condusive to a better work environment, but the exterior is pretty ordinary. Also pity about not being taller on such a large block of land. They could have easily built an impressive structure (architecturally) not just in height. An opportunity missed.

Cheers
Confucius say: Dumb man climb tree to get cherry, wise man spread limbs.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#191 Post by Norman » Thu Apr 16, 2020 3:28 pm

Ho Really wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:46 pm
Such a stumpy building won't change the skyline sorry to say.
Definitely, but it makes for a good quote or soundbite that doesn't really mean anything.
Ho Really wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:46 pm
Perhaps the interior with its large floor plates will be condusive to a better work environment, but the exterior is pretty ordinary. Also pity about not being taller on such a large block of land. They could have easily built an impressive structure (architecturally) not just in height. An opportunity missed.
In the end the government is not building this. They are simply committing to a lease that will enable the construction of this to go ahead. If they wanted a better design they should have committed to a better designed building (of which there is very few if any on the market).

Algernon

#192 Post by Algernon » Thu Apr 16, 2020 3:30 pm

I suppose there's an element of truth in 'changing the skyline'. As a kid coming home from school westbound from Norwood, 45 Pirie St filled that picture, together with its huge ING logo (wonder if it's still there?). This new building will cover that up.

By the way I'm struggling to think of a more boring box that's ever been built. This thing even beats City Central.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#193 Post by SRW » Thu Apr 16, 2020 3:44 pm

I would have preferred DPTI get the QT building off the ground by tenanting its office space, as that'd have more of an uplift effect than this. Or even 80 Currie or 199-200 North, but C&G seem to be doing nothing with them.

Still, the influx of hundreds of workers should help solidify and expand Pirie Street's nascent hospitality district. There's also the ongoing Maras redevelopment across the road, and the supposedly forthcoming Hyatt.
Keep Adelaide Weird

slenderman
High Rise Poster!

#194 Post by slenderman » Thu Apr 16, 2020 5:33 pm

Algernon wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 3:30 pm
I suppose there's an element of truth in 'changing the skyline'. As a kid coming home from school westbound from Norwood, 45 Pirie St filled that picture, together with its huge ING logo (wonder if it's still there?). This new building will cover that up.

By the way I'm struggling to think of a more boring box that's ever been built. This thing even beats City Central.
It should have some skyline impact from the south east along Fullarton Road in Dulwich/Rose Park. It's nearly as tall as 77 Grenfell Street, which until the last few years was one of the only buildings distinctly visible above the trees from that angle (along with Westpac, Telstra and the black stump).

I'd say the new BHP building and that really long building at the southern end of King William Street have this one covered in the "boring box" category. Or the shocker on Light Square. Mind you, it is a very prime location which would probably suit something taller or at least a bit more inspiring in design.

...Come to think of it, I should give you all an update of my SketchUp skyline, it's been over a year now lol.

ghs

#195 Post by ghs » Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:32 pm

Brando wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 2:36 am
DPTI are also in 50 Flinders St, next to Santos. I'm sure they have about 3 or 4 levels in there.
It's another site not many know about.
Why does DPTI need to move from its current location ?