News & Developments: Prospect

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

Re: News & Developments: Prospect

#136 Post by Norman » Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:30 pm

I had a look at the plans tonight and this development is really inappropriate for the context of what Churchill Road is trying to be.

The frontage to Islington Station will be uninviting for local people who choose to walk to and from the station, and I could see the car park being used as a makeshift commuter park and ride.

Unless there is an actual active frontage along Churchill Road and a better integration with the train station, this proposal should be rejected.

how good is he
Legendary Member!

#137 Post by how good is he » Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:50 pm

Can I ask where the stop is? If it was moved closer to the adjacent residential development it may be more appropriate. They should create a new entry between both the residential Prospect 1838 & Kaufland developments and upgrade the train stop with links from both sides.

Sephiroth_FF
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#138 Post by Sephiroth_FF » Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:35 am

There are several new articles about Kaufland today. The distribution centre will be built in Melbourne. There was no mention of Adelaide stores in the article (the one that wasn't behind the paywall), only three Melbourne stores. I thought the Forrestville site was going to be their flagship store.

Eurostar
Legendary Member!

#139 Post by Eurostar » Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:41 pm

Costco no longer allow non members into the snackbar area so the proposed Kaufland will gain some non members to their snackbar

Sephiroth_FF
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#140 Post by Sephiroth_FF » Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:44 pm

An article from nearly a year ago stated that Kaufland was expected to open seven to ten stores during their initial rollout. Today, they only announced three Melbourne stores. Could they announce more later? I have no understanding of how this works but I'm just hoping that the Adelaide stores won't be delayed for too long.
Eurostar wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:41 pm
Costco no longer allow non members into the snackbar area so the proposed Kaufland will gain some non members to their snackbar
Is that so? I was there yesterday and there was someone asking for membership cards to get into the foodcourt. This only ever happened one other time but I didn't know they actually changed it.

Jaymz
Legendary Member!

#141 Post by Jaymz » Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:15 pm

From todays (online) Advertiser.........

"Kaufland secures planning approval for first South Australian store on Churchill Road, Prospect
Renato Castello, The Advertiser

German hypermarket giant Kaufland has secured planning approval for its first South Australian store in a watershed moment for retail in the state.
The state’s planning authority on Thursday approved the $23.5 million project, which will feature a 4052 sqm supermarket, 1607 sqm stockroom, 280 sqm food hall and 245 sqm of shops at 250 Churchill Rd, Prospect.
The State Commission Assessment Panel had twice deferred a decision on the project pending Kaufland increasing landscaping around the building, including the addition of 80 trees in the car park and 14 mature trees fronting the western side of Churchill Rd.

The Advertiser has sought comment from Kaufland regarding timing of construction of the supermarket complex which will occupy a 23,700 sqm site on former industrial land backing on to the Islington train station.
In a planning report the company anticipated the retail complex would provide full-time employment of between 90 and 120 people when open.
It estimated 250 jobs would be created during construction. Kaufland is a subsidiary of the Schwarz Group, the world’s fourth largest retail group.
Last month the company secured planning approval for its first three Australian stores and distribution centre in Victoria.

Kaufland had reduced the size of the Prospect supermarket by more than 2000 sqm after Prospect Council raised concerns that it was too big.
Mayor David O’Loughlin said the council was excited to see another “blighted part” of the city being developed: “Locals have been waiting 40 years to see something new on that corner.”
“It’s (the scale) certainly well beyond what we anticipated for the site nevertheless we welcome the development and the dense landscaping they’ve offered.
“It will marry in with the successful Bunnings development really well and continue to change the paradigm for Churchill Rd.”

He said the project and adjoining townhouse and apartment development would allow the council to lobby the State Government to upgrade the Islington station.
I wouldn’t feel safe loading my sheep on it at the moment, we’d hope we could get an upgrade to take its rightful place in the Adelaide metro network, we hope that can be done in parallel with the electrification,” he said.

But retail property expert Andrew Lucas, senior consultant at Pirie St-based Property & Advisory, said Kaufland’s presence would “adversely” impact turnover in existing supermarkets due to low growth in SA’s household consumption expenditure and population.
“When the size of the pie is not growing, the only outcome of there being more stores in the marketplace is that the pie will be cut into smaller pieces — particularly in an environment where the other players are unlikely to take a backward step in the face of new competition,” Mr Lucas, who helped provide data for the supermarket map above, said.

“Of the current Kaufland proposals, the most significant impact on the local retail market will probably be felt if its Prospect development proceeds, as the site is only a short distance from existing large supermarket clusters at North Park Shopping Centre and Churchill Centre.”
He said in the long term should Kauflan buy more local produce that existing supermarket operators would “simply buy less”.
“Similarly, new jobs created at Kaufland could simply offset job losses at existing supermarkets,” he said.
“If it brings new marketing ideas, as Aldi did, the arrival of Kaufland could enhance the overall shopping experience for South Australians. We’ll have to wait and see on that score.”
Kaufland has also lodged plans with SCAP for a supermarket at on the old Le Cornu site at Anzac Highway, Forestville and another in Munno Para."

Sephiroth_FF
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#142 Post by Sephiroth_FF » Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:46 pm

Thanks for posting the article Jaymz.

I'm glad that it finally got approval. Hopefully it'll open at the same time as the Melbourne stores. It's a pity the size has shrunk quite significantly but it's still very large. I just don't want the size to impact the amount of groceries they stock too much.

It's interesting the article mentioned Northpark. That shopping centre and the ones surrounding it could use some decent work. Regency Plaza was recently divided into several shops but what's there now is hardly exciting. There are a couple of new developments but Northpark is especially stagnant. It's a shame the previous upgrade was cancelled. I'm still hoping an Aldi will open in one of those shopping centres.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#143 Post by crawf » Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:32 am

Sephiroth_FF wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:46 pm

I'm glad that it finally got approval. Hopefully it'll open at the same time as the Melbourne stores. It's a pity the size has shrunk quite significantly but it's still very large. I just don't want the size to impact the amount of groceries they stock too much.

It's interesting the article mentioned Northpark. That shopping centre and the ones surrounding it could use some decent work. Regency Plaza was recently divided into several shops but what's there now is hardly exciting. There are a couple of new developments but Northpark is especially stagnant. It's a shame the previous upgrade was cancelled. I'm still hoping an Aldi will open in one of those shopping centres.
There's an Aldi in the nearby Churchill Centre..

Sephiroth_FF
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#144 Post by Sephiroth_FF » Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:38 pm

crawf wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:32 am
Sephiroth_FF wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:46 pm

There's an Aldi in the nearby Churchill Centre..
I'm well aware of that. There are many older people in the Enfield area who walk to the shops so Aldi would benefit them. There are also a lot of small businesses who are hoping for an Aldi to open to increase business for them. If Target were to close, Aldi could take part of that store.

Abwolf
Gold-Member ;)

#145 Post by Abwolf » Sat Apr 06, 2019 5:34 pm

Does anybody know what's happening with Coles at Churchill Centre? They have closed the 'Mix' clothing area and downsized the store footprint by about one fifth of what it was so it feels a lot smaller than it did when it opened. Seems like a drastic change for what is the state's newest store so close to it's opening.

Peeping into the back the old area is being used for storage but seems a costly pointless exercise unless there are plans for that area.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Eurostar
Legendary Member!

#146 Post by Eurostar » Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:49 am

Abwolf wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 5:34 pm
Does anybody know what's happening with Coles at Churchill Centre? They have closed the 'Mix' clothing area and downsized the store footprint by about one fifth of what it was so it feels a lot smaller than it did when it opened. Seems like a drastic change for what is the state's newest store so close to it's opening.

Peeping into the back the old area is being used for storage but seems a costly pointless exercise unless there are plans for that area.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Coles at Churchill Centre is in an ideal location to set up a hot dog stand to sell hot dogs. Now that Costco don't allow non members into the snackbar Coles could capture some of those customers and more.

Sephiroth_FF
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#147 Post by Sephiroth_FF » Sun Apr 07, 2019 3:41 pm

Eurostar wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:49 am
Coles at Churchill Centre is in an ideal location to set up a hot dog stand to sell hot dogs. Now that Costco don't allow non members into the snackbar Coles could capture some of those customers and more.
Do you have any idea why Costco have done that? Is it Australia-wide?

Llessur2002
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#148 Post by Llessur2002 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:06 pm

Long overdue - it's a very bland and depressing road at the moment and a nightmare to walk along in the summer due to the complete lack of shade. Hopefully the landscaping will be maintained into the future.
Prospect Council vision to transform Main North Rd into “green corporate boulevard”

Prospect Council has unveiled its $10 million vision to transform Main North Rd into a “green corporate boulevard”, which it hopes will attract investment to the commuter corridor.

Under the plan, seven business hubs – some which would include a residential component – would be created along the road, which is used by 48,000 motorists each day.

Hundreds of trees would be planted in the median strip, grassed areas established and public art and street furniture installed to make the thoroughfare more attractive.

The council has committed $5 million to the project, which would be done in stages, and hoped to attract $5 million from outside sources, including the federal government.

Prospect Mayor David O’Loughlin said that having a “drab urban corridor” which many associated with car dealerships was not conducive to attracting new businesses and residential developments.

“We need to make a silk purse from a sow’s ear,” Mr O’Loughlin said.

“Main North Rd is ripe for reinvention and investment and council has developed an investment attraction strategy involving a number of business hubs along the road.

“Re-greening the streetscape with dozens of trees as a first step, along with new pedestrian and cyclist crossings, will have an immediate impact on changing the look of the area, making it more attractive and safer for all users.”

The council has spent several years consulting the community on its “green corporate boulevard” vision, which also includes apartment complexes that back on to parks and ovals.

It will kick off soon with the planting of semi-mature trees in the median strip, which the council will fund.

Prospect chief executive Cate Hart said one of the council’s key goals was to improve the overall amenity of the public realm.

“There are a number of sites available for redevelopment at priority areas along the road and we are aiming for the outcomes we had on Churchill Rd where private sector investment took place because strategic upgrades produced a much more attractive realm, improving the feel and amenity of the place,” she said.

Apart from the streetscape improvements, the council’s pitch to new businesses includes the lure of high-speed internet.

Prospect is the only SA council to have NBN fibre to every street, house and business.
From: https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/messenge ... 006ed35886

claybro

#149 Post by claybro » Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:43 pm

Finally someone has cottoned on in Adelaide that if the arterial roads can be made more pleasant with decent landscaping and planning, then investment and commerce will follow. Ironic, because about 20 years ago, MN Rd in this area had carpet roses planted on the median strip, but it all became too hard to maintain. An argument developed over who was responsible to maintain it all, and eventually got ripped up. Same with the farce that became the Greenhill road median...once a beautiful, irrigated strip of lawn and shady trees was left to die, whilst the councils argued over who was to maintain it and eventually blamed the drought. Hopefully any efforts in this case will be better maintained, but Im not holding my breath.

ghs

#150 Post by ghs » Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:48 pm

The Anzac Highway Median strip is an utter disgrace. It's ironic that they have irrigation installed but then
it never gets turned on.