News & Discussion: Adelaide Airport & Airlines

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
cricketworldcup
Sen-Rookie-Sational

Re: News & Discussion: Adelaide Airport & Airlines

#2341 Post by cricketworldcup » Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:58 pm

Thanks for sharing the information.
I am a professional blogger at EverydaysGadgets.com and frequently write reviews about latest and trending gadgets. Check my review of

Code: Select all

https://everydaysgadgets.com/snorestrap-review/]Anti Snore Chin Strap

SBD
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#2342 Post by SBD » Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:12 pm

1NEEDS2POST wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:15 pm
This is a great idea, can it be extended to other open spaces (that are not parks?) For example, stormwater channels, railways and the River Torrens.

The airport example shows why the city parklands should be better maintained. If they put the right plants in and regularly irrigate, it will go a long way to lowering the urban heat island effect in the city.
I doubt there are wide enough flat areas in any of those corridors to make agriculture worthwhile. There's not much parkland that is open and flat without trees, scrub or playing fields either.

The horse paddocks near the Torrens and north parklands are sort-of agricultural uses for some of those areas. Perhaps we just need to encourage more international students to have pet farm animals :)

Stefan P
High Rise Poster!

#2343 Post by Stefan P » Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:13 pm

Stefan P wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:19 pm
Afternon all,

Malindo to offically begin Adelaide on 17th April. Flights re now bookable on the Malindo website $350 Return to DPS, $607 return to KUL. Basic fare (luggage not incl)
Evening all,

Malindo began flights to Adelaide today with 9M-LCD operating the inaugural 'OD173/174' service. It arrived 30mins early and departed relatively on time.
Stefan

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#2344 Post by rev » Sat Apr 27, 2019 1:32 pm

Finally
New trade and investment head talks up potential of direct flights to Japan
Giuseppe Tauriello, The Advertiser
April 26, 2019 8:00pm
Subscriber only

Liberals reveal plans to open four new international trade offices
SA’s wine, seafood and citrus tipped to flood international markets

Direct flights between Adelaide and Tokyo would be a game-changer for economic ties between South Australia and the Land of the Rising Sun, according the state’s new chief trade representative in Japan.

Sally Townsend last month commenced her role heading up the state’s newly formed trade and investment office in Tokyo, covering Japan and South Korea.

On a recent visit to Adelaide, she said direct flights between Adelaide and Tokyo would improve trade, investment and tourism between the two regions.

“For trade and international business the direct flights, coupled with the proximity of the (Adelaide) airport to the city, adds to the efficiency of doing business with SA for Japanese companies,” she said.

“The proximity of precincts like SAHMRI, Lot Fourteen and Tonsley to each other, the city and the airport, adds to this efficiency and ease of doing business here.

“To have this direct flight before Hayabusa2 lands in Woomera next year would be ideal. There will be a huge focus on SA at that time and probably a lot more people coming out to witness it if there was a direct flight.”

Japanese spacecraft Hayabusa2 will complete its studies of the Ryugu asteroid next year, before landing in Woomera with samples from its mission.

Last week Qantas announced it would add a third destination in Japan when it begins seasonal non-stop flights between Sydney and Sapporo.

The airline flies direct to Tokyo from Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane, and also offers non-stop services between Sydney and Osaka.

As well as improving trade links, direct flights would generate higher levels of tourism from Japan, according to Ms Townsend, who has spent the past 18 years living in the country’s capital.

“One of the terrific things about Adelaide is the location of the airport,” she said.

“To be able to land in Adelaide, go through customs quickly and get to your hotel in under an hour would make Adelaide a much more appealing holiday destination.

“The proximity of Cairns for example is appealing to Japanese tourists, who more often than not, only have a week maximum to use for vacation time, so to have almost half a day shaved off without having to take connecting flights would be a huge bonus.”

Born and raised in Adelaide, Ms Townsend travelled to Japan in 2000 to teach English for a year, but after “falling in love” with the country ended up relocating to Tokyo to study and progress her career in business development.

She has spent most of the time working in the wine industry, helping Japanese importers source premium wine from Australia and other regions, and she currently chairs the Australian and New Zealand Chamber of Commerce in Japan.

“Every time ministers or others came over from South Australia I would say you have to build an office, I’ll run it, I’m your South Australian on the ground here, and then finally they did,” she said.

“I would joke that I was the volunteer ambassador on the ground because I had great pride in South Australia - there was a need for a presence.”

Selling more premium wine to Japanese consumers is just one opportunity she hopes to unlock for local exporters hoping to tap into the world’s third biggest economy.

“Food and wine and agri is an obvious one, education and biomed life sciences definitely,” she said.

“The success of CMAX (owned by Japan’s I’rom Group) for example, with the speed at which clinical trials can be approved compared to the US and EU, and the fact we’re directly south of Tokyo so there is minimal time difference, has proved our capabilities on the world stage.”

“And with renewable energy, we just have to show that South Australia is a very viable partner for R&D or investment. I think in the Japanese mindset, it’s (renewable energy) still seen as super expensive because it is over there. And they don’t have the sun and the wind over in Japan like we do here in South Australia.”

Japan is the state’s third biggest trading partner, with $824 million of goods being exported there from South Australia last financial year, while South Korea is the state’s 10th biggest trading partner, spending $279 million on South Australian goods in the same period.

Ms Townsend encouraged South Australian exporters to invest time into finding the right Japanese businesses to partner with, stressing the importance of linking with those who share the same “philosophies and values”.

“It takes time but once you have that relationship built, you’ve got loyalty there with Japanese partners,” she said.

“We have a lot of similarities with Japan. Japanese culture is obviously the respect they have for family run businesses for example - it really resonates with South Australia.”

The Tokyo trade and investment office, embedded in Austrade in the Australian Embassy, is the second to be opened by the State Government following the establishment of the Shanghai office in November last year.

While Ms Townsend is currently the state’s only representative in the office, there are plans to add more staff in future years.

Other offices are planned for the Middle East (Dubai), the US and South East Asia (Kuala Lumpur).
https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/business ... 755835a0f2

I've said it before, Japan and the USA are what we should be looking at.
Meanwhile Sydney is getting a third Japan destination.

Ho Really

#2345 Post by Ho Really » Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:29 pm

rev wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 1:32 pm
Finally

[...]

I've said it before, Japan and the USA are what we should be looking at.
Meanwhile Sydney is getting a third Japan destination.
If there were to be direct flights my preference goes to ANA (All Nippon), but I'd be happy with JAL too. Japanese carriers are of a high standard. No QANTAS.

Cheers
Confucius say: Dumb man climb tree to get cherry, wise man spread limbs.

ghs

#2346 Post by ghs » Wed May 01, 2019 8:07 pm

I understand that Thomas foods exports meat to Japan but what are the chances of Adelaide-Japan coming in when there's no Japanese airline interested in even going to Perth. We need to get real in this city, Thailand is the next country we should be concentrating on when it comes to direct flights.

Splashmo
High Rise Poster!

#2347 Post by Splashmo » Wed May 01, 2019 9:26 pm

ghs wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 8:07 pm
I understand that Thomas foods exports meat to Japan but what are the chances of Adelaide-Japan coming in when there's no Japanese airline interested in even going to Perth. We need to get real in this city, Thailand is the next country we should be concentrating on when it comes to direct flights.
ANA is actually about to start flights to Perth (although the WA Govt must be spending a fortune to subsidise the route).

claybro

#2348 Post by claybro » Wed May 01, 2019 10:25 pm

Splashmo wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 9:26 pm
ghs wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 8:07 pm
ANA is actually about to start flights to Perth (although the WA Govt must be spending a fortune to subsidise the route).
I can confirm ANA if flying Perth /Narita direct fr September. The Japanese are marketing heavily for ski holidays to WA residents. I have twice travelled to Tokyo via Singapore airlines, but the stop in Changi is a pain. The Singapore airlines flights to Tokyo are always heavily booked and I believe the flights will be popular.

OlympusAnt
High Rise Poster!

#2349 Post by OlympusAnt » Thu May 02, 2019 5:58 pm

I'm convinced Japan will be next. ANA 787 service 3-4 times a week to Tokyo.

The Olympics are next year. It would be a good time to open up the service.

The ANA livery is beautiful.
Follow me on Flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/135625678@N06/

EBG

#2350 Post by EBG » Tue May 14, 2019 10:11 pm

Update of new terminal as at 14/5/2019. Click on picture for bigger.
Attachments
20190514_airport.jpg

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#2351 Post by rev » Tue May 21, 2019 8:11 pm

From the airport site...
Commencing in late July 2019: Preliminary draft Master Plan on Public Display for 60 business days. During this time we will hold a number of community events at the Airport where you can find out more about our future plans and provide feedback.

New Adelaide Airport masterplan unveils new entrance off Richmond Rd

A bold vision to fast-track development at Adelaide Airport — including opening up a Richmond Rd entrance for taxis and freight to bust traffic congestion — has been unveiled by airport managing director Mark Young.

The Adelaide Airport Masterplan for the next eight years will be released for public consultation in July but Mr Young flagged a number of key ambitions at a West Torrens Council business networking breakfast on Tuesday.

Changes to the airport — already the state’s largest employment hub and fastest growing economic zone — include:

A NEW access route to the airport for freight and taxis via Richmond Rd to reduce congestion on Donald Bradman Dr.

GROWING the national and international freight traffic worth $1.8 billion annually and increasing the 8.5 million annual passenger traffic, including opening new routes and increasing direct flights.

AN INTERNATIONAL terminal and retail project worth $165 million.

EXPANDING the 200 existing businesses in the airport precinct which employ 8000 people now to 19,500 by 2039. Related off-airport employment would grow from 22,800 to 56,100 over the next 20 years.

BOOSTING the zone’s current $2.98 billion (about 3 per cent) gross state product contribution to $7.48 billion by 2039.

Premier Steven Marshall told the meeting that his Government had “a clear ambition” to get SA moving and grow the state’s economy.

“Having Adelaide Airport driving economic activity in SA is essential to that growth agenda,” Mr Marshall said.

“We have in the past been a laggard state but no more.”

SA, which created 12,000 new jobs in the past year, was now growing faster than the national economy and his government was committed to creating “the most attractive environment possible” to attract business investment by lowering taxes, he said.

West Torrens Mayor Michael Coxon, who hosted the event at the recently opened Atura Hotel at the airport, said council would do whatever it could to fastrack the extension of Richmond Rd and open the new entrance.

“If there is a business case to do so, Council will support this directly,” he said.

Mr Young said it made sense to have an additional entry road given plans for the expansion of freight and logistics facilities in areas close to Richmond Rd.

He noted that studies had shown that taxis comprised 30 per cent of traffic on the congested Donald Bradman Dr during the morning rush-hour.

“We would like to take a big segment of these taxis to Richmond Rd,” he said.

Freight to and from Adelaide Airport is a $1.8 billion annual business, with the US being the largest customer, followed by China and the UK.

Artist’s impression of the Adelaide Airport international terminal expansion project. Picture: Supplied by Adelaide Airport.

Mr Young said the terminal expansion currently under construction was primarily to improve facilities for international arrivals and departures.

The revamp would include much expanded retail area and a relocation of Virgin facilities, including its lounge.

Currently about one million of the 8.5 million passengers passing through the airport are international visitors. Asia, particularly China, is now the fastest growing and largest international customer base.

Mr Young said there were 20 domestic or regional and 10 international airlines using Adelaide Airport at the moment but a priority for the future was to develop more direct services to and from Adelaide.

These included direct flights from Adelaide to national destinations like Newcastle and Hobart and internationally to the US west coast.

Mr Young said plans to extend the airport’s rapidly growing business district would continue, with the goal to make the airport “a top-tier business in the Asia-Pacific”.

The master plan follows earlier expansion blueprints, including a 2014 draft which led to the building of the Atura Hotel at the airport.

Mr Young said the historic Vickers Vimy aircraft flown by Sir Ross and Sir Keith Smith nearly 100 years ago would be installed in the new international terminal by mid-2021.

A two-month public consultation on the airport masterplan for the next eight years will begin in July and should be signed off by the federal transport minister in April next year.

https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/messenge ... 7a6beaeb1e

Llessur2002

#2352 Post by Llessur2002 » Tue May 21, 2019 10:07 pm

Interesting that the render no longer shows a tram line. I'm pretty sure that the covered walkway between the hotel and the terminal is where the tram terminus was in previous renders...

claybro

#2353 Post by claybro » Tue May 21, 2019 10:10 pm

Great find Rev. Good news re the Vickers aircraft relocation and a second entrance also good, provided Richmond road is upgraded and landscaped as a decent entry avenue to the CBD. Makes me wonder though.. have they mothballed the other freight airport idea?

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#2354 Post by Norman » Tue May 21, 2019 10:23 pm

Llessur2002 wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 10:07 pm
Interesting that the render no longer shows a tram line. I'm pretty sure that the covered walkway between the hotel and the terminal is where the tram terminus was in previous renders...
That render is not from the master plan (because it hasn't been released yet), but from the existing international terminal expansion project.

ChillyPhilly

#2355 Post by ChillyPhilly » Tue May 21, 2019 10:52 pm

Llessur2002 wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 10:07 pm
In addition to what Norman said, if they are smart - which they are - then there'll be a reserve for a tram line anyway.

Opening a Richmond Road entrance would be great. I wonder if this can include a busway.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.